Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• When I turn on heater (even without defrost), the a/c light comes on. Is this to keep the car from fogging up? Any ideas? I would prefer not to waste gas in Winter running the A/C if I don't have to.

Thanks
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If you have an automatic climate control system the A/C will run all year around unless the OAT is below ~34F, approaching freezing level.

There are a few C-best options that you can have the dealer set to alleviate this.
  • I AM NOT REALLY SURE BUT I SIMPLY CLICK THE AC BUTTON OFF.
    AND LET THE HEATING SYSTEM DO ITS THING. HAVE FOUND NO
    PROBLEMS DOING THIS. IN THE PAST WITH PREVIOUS TOYOTAS
    WE HAVE OWNED, THE AC ON WHEN FOGGING HAS OCCURED HAS HELPED BUT I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT RUN IT AT ALL TIMES.SOMETIMES
    ITS HARD TO FIGURE OUT THE LOGIC.
  • I am in the market to buy a HL sports. Will appreciate if someone can explain the difference between the two and whether both mats can go together?. Which one will be better for someone driving in Chicago weather?

Thanks
  • molinemoline Posts: 14
    The all weather mats are rubber mats with deep ridges to keep water, salt, etc. off the carpet. The carpeted mats seem to have a waterproof backing, but the mat itself will absorb water. If you go with the all weather mats, you need to take out the carpeted mats, but it's a piece of cake to switch between the two. I bought the all weather mats for winter use in New England, and am amazed at the amount of junk (sand, salt, etc.) that they have already caught. When they get dirty, I just have to shake them off and hose them down.
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Posts: 17
    I have a 2008 Highlander Limited and I bought the heavy duty rubber front mats made by Huskywhich are color matched to the interior of my vehicle.
    They have been very good as we have lots of bad New England winters up here.
  • jgantjgant Posts: 10
    I am in the market to purchase a new SUV and am seriously considering the 2008 Toyota Highlander, Limited. I have test driven one and really love it. My friends have recently purchased a 2008 Buick Enclave and they are raving about it. I've not yet tested the Enclave. Any advice on a comparison of these or others? Thanks.
    V/R
    Newcarbuyer7
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Be sure to check out the Buick Enclave Owners Give Us Your Report and other topics in the Buick Enclave section.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I am interested in an 08 Highlander LTD. However with a baby on the way would like to sit him/her in the middle of the second row. With the re-design of the second row, the middle seat appears quite narrow side to side. Anyone know if a child safety seat will fit appropriately in the middle seat position? or is it too narrow and will I need to postion the seat on the sides?
  • I cannot attest to the Enclave. However, we just took delivery on a 2008 Toyota Limited Hybrid (standard All Wheel Drive) . All we can say is wow. Really classy and lots of anemities you really would not think of until you live with it for a few days. For example at night when you approach the vehicle, lights on either each door view mirror comes on automatically lighting the area with out pushing a bottom or doing any thing. Automatic fold down seats. Power rear window, power rear door, standard back up camera, an internal mirror that shows the entire rear seating area and etc etc. Plenty of power yet from day one the fuel economy exceeds the rating of 27 City and 25 Highway. We are getting real time 28.5 Highway and 29 City. This confueses me a little because it should be reverse on a Hybrid. Plus an even bigger vehicle and an all wheel drive to boot.

My comparison was a 2006 Toyota Hybrid which we also loved with excellent mileage and again the power. However the 2008 is light years ahead of the 2006 and even bigger.

Hope this has been helpful.
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Posts: 17
    I would test drive both and you alone can make that comparison decision.
    I have always had Ford pickup trucks, and now i don't really need a truck so I had my mind set on the Highlander. I did my homework reviewing Consumer Reports and test drove the Sport and the Limited. My final decision was the Limited 4x4 with all the options minus the rear DVD and the navigational system. I bought it in Sept of 07 and to date I am totally satisfied with its performance.
  • I just leased a 2008 4wd Highlander. (At least thats what is says on the window sticker), but there is nothing in the owners manual or the website that tells how to use it. The dealer told me that I don't have to worry, when ever 4wd is called for, it will kick in. Sounds good, but I don't think I have the whole story.

Is it all-wheel or 4-wheel drive?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    It is AWD but only when all four wheels have roughly equal traction. Yeah, a lot of good that is...!!

TC, Traction Control, is using to provide "virtual" LSD capability at the normally open center diff'l and possibly the rear diff'l, but probably not at the front. Any wheel that breaks traction and spins is braked in order to sustain a high level of engine torque for distribution to the wheels with traction. At the same time the braking is used the engine will be severely dethrottled to prevent brake pad and rotor over-heating.

Basically you have a "let's pretend" AWD vehicle.
  • Thanks for the information. It may be pretend AWD, but it still is better than my 2005 Camry that gave me trouble if the guy in front of me spit on the road.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Yes it's not a 4runner. It's an on-road vehicle with some technical assistance when the weather is inclement and the paved surfaces are less than perfect. It's also capable on loose-but-solid unpaved roadways.
    It
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    Can anyone point me to a good picture of the Highlander in Cypress Green? There is exactly one picture of this color on the Toyota website, and it looks darker there than what I have heard it described as.

Thanks.
  • Hello frugalscott. Can you explain how to change the display screen units from imperial to metric?

Thanks,
    Vince
  • I own the rare Cypress Green and I find it to be the best looking of all the colors. It is subtle - more silver/green than anything. More of a lichen. Really sharp.

See pics on my profile:

http://www.carspace.com/denverbrian

...or over at the Toyota Nation website:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum
    Great pictures, thanks!!
  • It's definitely not a 4x4 - but this is my first 4WD/AWD and I must say that I am very impressed with it so far. We've had a couple real bad storms in the north east and it has performed flawlessly. Although, I have not pushed it really hard, it was flawless on my challenging driveway in conditions that my other cars would not have been able to navigate at all, forcing me to leave them down by the road...

Over the holidays, I took it up a forest service road in my home town with 6" of fresh snow on the ground... Its a loose dirt/rock road at about a 25% grade... went up with ease and the ride down w/ DAC was interesting (but safe) if nothing else.

It's very intense when it starts beeping at you while your sliding sideways [eh em, on purpose] through a back-road intersection while it does it thing to straighten you out...

Its not a trail truck, but seems like it will handle almost anything most drivers will encounter.
  • This was talked about before and I can't remember the resolution, but I think it was felt that if you put the child seat in the middle of the second row you could "borrow" the latch anchors from either side. Not sure how the child seat itself would fit in the middle position although my guess leans towards it would fit--although you would be left with less usable seats on either side. You might try it at the dealer with your car seat.

We have a 4 year old and a 6 mo. old and put them on the sides in the second row which is working well. My older daughter still uses a Britax child seat with anchors, while my younger daughter uses a Graco base that the car seat latches into. We still have room to get adults to get in the 3rd row although it's a bit of a squeeze to get by the pass through. You can use this option if you ever try doing something really crazy like having a second kid.

We have the Limited and have been very happy. I'm sensitive to mileage and for a car this size it's better than most (20-21 in 2/3 highway). The tradeoff is the third row vs. storage. When 3rd row up, very little storage is left, e.g., can't fit our standard stroller back there. However, I like the idea of having a 3rd row when needed. Hope that helps.
  • skj62skj62 Posts: 1
    Hi - I am in market of 08 HL. I just wondering if any major problems with transmission etc..

Thanks,
    Does the front passenger seat in the base model have a height adjustment?

Thanks.
  • I got my new 2008 Highlander Sport in August. My tire pressure indicator light has come on and I checked my 4 tires and some were a little low 28-29. I added air to 30 psi and now all 4 read 30 psi. My light still won't go off. I called the dealership and they said it's probably the spare tire. Now, the spare tire is under the car and the part without the valve is facing the ground. So am I mistaken that the only way to check the air pressure & make the light go off is to remove the tire and check it? This is insane!!! I bought a vehicle with ammenitites like remote hatch open & close and to check my tire pressure, I have to remove a tire and then strap it back up. I am somewhat mechanically inclined for a women but I'm not a weight lifter. The dealership said I could bring it in but it's 30 miles away. This is a really bad design. Does anybody now any other way to check this or has anybody else had this issue? Thanks.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 548
    You are so right. This is one dumb idea by Toyota. However, other companies have done the same thing. Our 2004 Highlander Limited had the same design and I know of no way to check the spare except to remove the tire.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    You can thank the third row seat for the spare being underneath the car.
    I don't know any way you can check this now without removing the tire. However you can install a valve stem extension to make checking and topping off the spare easier in the future. Here's one:

http://www.getagauge.com/accessories.cfm
  • Alternatively, you could just reset the indicator. There is a button under the dash (I think its under the VSC switch). With the engine running press and hold the button until the light goes out. This reads the signal from each tire and resets the 'nominal value' in the computer.

Next time you are at the dealer (oil change or whatever), have them check the pressure in the spare. If you get a flat in the mean time, make the swap but also make sure your very next stop is a gas station to check the air....

Hope this helps. Agree that this is a horrid design. The valve stem extension is an excellent idea !!
  • pabloxpablox Posts: 92
    From everything I've been able to gather, the center diff on the 08 Highlander is not open as you describe. It's a viscous locking unit which is similar to what Subaru uses on their cars with manual transmissions. The RX350 has a center viscous diff and since it has the same engine and transmission as the 08 Highlander, the HL is likely the same.

Toyota does likely use the technique you described at the front and rear differentials but lots of companies do that (including Audi and Mercedes).

Audi, on their torsen based quattro cars, does not lower engine power if the brakes engage. I don't know about Toyota in this case.

We only have about 500 miles on our Highlander Sport but I've taken it in some deep snow and it did very well. I'm used to Audis and Subarus with snow tires and this was at least as good.
  • I've got a 2000 RX300 with 90K miles and have been dragging my feet in trading it in. Last year, I decided I'd wait for the HL re-design. After it came out, I decided I'd wait for the price to drop (it's now 3K below MSRP in my area). But now I'm thinking that since I've waited this long, why not wait for the 2009 Honda Pilot, which I hear is getting a re-design, will come out in the spring and is eight passenger instead of seven.

My primary reason for not getting another Lexus is that I don't like many features of their larger SUVs and the RX is only five passenger. We get lots of visitors who stay with us and it's inconvenient not having the extra passenger space.

Anyone care to put in their two cents on why I should finally get off the dime and buy a new HL or perhaps wait for the Pilot. (If five people put in their two cents, I won't have any excuse for not getting off the dime ;-)

Thanks,

Bob