Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• ronnronn Posts: 398
    I find it very disturbing that the Highlander has not been rated by the editors of Edmunds, nor have they mentioned it in the SUV's anywhere.
    As I look through, the Highlander is not mentioned in any category. Since it has the highest reviews 105 at this point by consumers, I think that says alot about how much people love the Highlander, and have bought one.
    Why not test drive and rate this fine SUV before you move on to others such as the 09 Honda Pilot.
    The Highlander is one of the most economical SUV's in it's class, in addition to looks , dependability, and popularity I do hope Edmunds will get with it, and give us a great review on this fine SUV. I do not understand why it is continually left out. Tidester and Steve...how about some answers?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,862
    We aren't editorial - in fact, we aren't even close to the home office. So I don't know what plans they have for reviewing or comparing the Highlander. You can ask them yourself by using the Contact Us form in the Help link.

Meanwhile, maybe these links will hold you over:

2008 Toyota Highlander Review

Full Test: 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

2008 Toyota Highlander - Chicago auto show

Toyota Highlander Review

2008 Toyota Highlander: The Quintessential Family Car

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am pretty sure that you need a working remote to activate your Homelink. It is possible to buy new remotes and re-code to your existing opener...I had to do that this past year.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    Well, there are far more studies indicating the positive aspects of DRL's. Interesting that there are complaints noted of glare in the daytime from DRL's. If this is the case, which I have never noticed, I guess we had all better drive with our lights out at night. Sure a lot more glare on a wet road at night.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    It would be much better to move DRL discussion under it's own separate thread.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    I agree. Lets drop the subject and discuss other Highlander concerns. I believe DRL's have more advantages than disadvantages, another member disagrees. 'Lets leave it at that.
  • Sorry I did not see your reply quicker.....my 2008 Highlander Limited is 2WD, which perobably helps mileage by about 1-2 mpg depending on driving. I was also pretty careful with my driving and not stepping on the gas aggressively. I have also found that the car seems to have a real "sweet spot"for mileage. Mine appears to get better mileage shown on the instant mpg at about 75 mph vs 60.
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Posts: 343
    Ditto, lets drop it
    PS - It's not me that disagrees with you, it's the European Union (who originated the idea in the first place)
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    Not surprising to anyone in this thread that you would have to get in the last word concerning this beaten to death subject.
    look who's talking.
    You just had to get in one more dig
  • I think I can speak for most of us when I say that we all like to read this website for new, interesting things Highlander,and to get simple answers to our questions. I subscribe to several different sites, and find that all of them at one time or another, seem to get off-track with highly opinionated, personal observations.........that really have little or no interest to the majority of folks.
    There is no problem with stating your thoughts or postion.....let's just not sink to "airing and ranting on and on" and supplying whole pages of opinions or imported articles. Obvioiusly, some have deep-seated concerns over lots of things, and are willing to spend the time and effort to pursue them endlessly..........while most of us want to read, reflect, and move on.
    So in the interest of civility, let's all try and use this board more responsibly and also act properly..................thanks!!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    So, I live here in the Seattle rain, doom and gloom area where in my opinion DRLs are a must have, potential LIFE saver.

But even if you live in Tucson there are brief periods of each day, dusk and dawn, when you are subject to oncoming objects not being as visible as you might wish insofar as living a long happy, pleasant, and fruitful life.

I purchased a Canadian origin car in 2000 and discovered that DRLs in canada include street/parking tail lights being on. So now my 2001 911/996 C4, my 2001 AWD RX300, and my 1993 Ford Ranger PU all have canadian style DRLs.

Not that I was worried about the FE issue but they are ALL retrofitted with LEDs throughout, street/parking/tail/stop/turn......and forward DRL, 3W luxeon LEDS.

I'll be 68 this July and fully plan to die of natural causes...eventually.

Oh, I get the sense that some of the DRL "naysayers" have not driven on many two lane roads for extended periods....say in sparsely populated remote areas of MT/WY/ND/SD/ID/WA/OR where the residents don't expect to see ANY oncoming traffic and therefore often don't even look before pulling out to pass.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    let's all try and use this board more responsibly and also act properly

I second that motion! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    With reference to post
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef17022/2448

My advice was to not go through the trouble.
    I also tried to open people eyes there are alternative studies on that subject.
    Driving is a skill, and commands responsibilty.
    The drivers handbook gives instructions about when lights should be turned on or off.

From the California drivers handbook
    Use Your Headlights
    When it is cloudy, raining, snowing, or foggy.If weather conditions require you to use your windshield wipers, you must turn on your headlights.
    On frosty mornings when other drivers’ windows may be icy or "fogged."
    Any time you have trouble seeing other cars. Other drivers will be having trouble seeing you, too.
    On small country or mountain roads, even on sunny days. This helps other drivers see you and may help you avoid a head-on crash.
    When necessary to get another driver’s attention.
  • wrajinderwrajinder Posts: 58
    I am canadian & bought car from USA in last December. During my first serivce in canada at local dealer, I inquired about chaging conversions from metric to kilometers and farenheight to celclius. The total charge for coversion is $ 300.00 including odometer( hardware change). I asked the charges without odometer ( Like only software changes No hradware changes). I was told it has to be done all together. On toyota nation website highlander column, Somebody got it done for some other reasons for free but asked for $ 30 charge. Is anyobdy out there have any experience on this. I live in surrey, bc. Any help will be appreciated.
    Please post what you find.
    It would be nice to have a selector to switch back and forth, so when people visit Mexico or Canada, we can flip a switch.
    I know that with Nav, it can be configured to use Metric units, but it doesn't change the Multi Information Display.

It seems that it will require a software reload, as some screens have graphics (like current mpg) with grid lines at 20, 30, 40 mpg
  • wrajinderwrajinder Posts: 58
    Check this link for more info?. link title
    Isn't it nice, REALLY NICE, that your brake lights come on automatically when you push on the brake pedal...?? What would it be like if you had to remember to flip the brake lights "on" each and every time you applied the brakes...?? And then remember to switch them off...??

Isn't it also nice that some of the newer cruise control designs will apply the brakes and turn on the stop lights to let following drivers know...?

Wouldn't it be nice if when I downshift my manual transmission drastically the rear amber turn signal lamps would come on to "advise" following drivers...??

"Driving is a skill, and commands responsibility....

I feel that I am a highly skilled driver and hold myself FULLY responsible...

But what about the OTHER driver..???

Should I ALWAYS put my trust in that other driver to not only "know" but to actually turn the headlights on or off as the situation warrants....??

NOT...!!!

NEVER..!!

IMMHO the only person I would trust to make "value" judgements about, against, DRLs would be Jeff Foxworthy. Him I will listen to.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,609
    Please....make...them...stop.......... :sick:
    He can't help himself. It's an obsession. I would love to see more comments about the Highlander. I've been considering one for the first time ever. Never liked them before the redesign this year. Probably won't buy this year, but Highlander will definitely be on my short list along with the Outlook (or one of it's siblings) and Hyundai Santa Fe (If they make it about 3 inches longer).
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,609
    Same here, getting out of a Suburban (but it sure did come in handy this weekend, 9 plants and a tree...oh, well). We test drove a Limited, very nice, now I'm checking out which phones work with it. Turns out no Verizon phones work with the stereo-only Bluetooth, but a number work with the Nav-based Bluetooth. Go figure :confuse:
    I can help myself thanks, apparently, you can't.

Highlander is great.
    Reviews that say the suspension is soft, incorrect. My old 2003 was too bouncy.
    New 2008 is smooth and refined.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    OK.

Non-relevant posts + more personal bickering (as opposed to productive discussion) on DRLs = a site that's become a waste of time.

If any of the moderators feel like stepping in and doing their job, I'm sure those who remain will be grateful.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,862
    T'was an odd forum to spam in - gone now.

Moving on....

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Do we need a separate topic for Highlander DRLs?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Is there already one for DRLs "overall"..??

Search keyword "DRL" indicates not.
    The major drawback to the new Highlander is the tiny rear seats as far as legroom and they are difficult to get to. Also, not having memory driver seat settings are big too. The Outlook actually rode better IMO and had much more legroom in the third row as well as memory seats. Otherwise the Highlander is much improved in the looks department. Before it seemed too much like a mini van. When we bought our Mountaineer 4 years ago we had owned Mini Vans for 18 straight years and my Wife absolutely will "never buy one again". If they can address these issues we have with the Highlander in the next couple of years, we will definitely consider buying one. My wife fell in love with the Outlook though, so it being her car I won't have a lot of say in the matter. Just the dealing side of things. And let's put the DRL issue to rest with my apologies for letting it get personal.