Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• cfcbuyercfcbuyer Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response to this. I am looking for the exact thing and GST does not order it from the factory with the tow package. I was looking for a 4 with it,but will settle for a 6 with it. Any help would be appreciated. The problem with ordering it it that I want to use the CFC program and those _ _ _ _ in DC only put up 1B for the program which might last 2-3 months.
  • When I bought my Highlander in late 2007, I didn't order the navigation system. I'm not really sure what I was thinking, mostly about the price I guess. Afterward I regretted it and went to Toyota to try to buy one. They wanted to charge me $1400 for an aftermarket system that didn't even fit right in the console. They were going to have to frame it out with plastic and put flaps to cover the two big radio knobs. It was ugly!

Anyway, almost two years later, I bought one on Ebay. It is the factory Nav system from Toyota. Exactly like what you would get off the assembly line. It was under $1000 including shipping. My husband and brother-in-law installed it today in about four hours...they said it would be easier the next time (I of course hope there isn't a next time.) :)

If you are one of those who didn't buy a Nav system when you bought your vehicle, and didn't want to buy an aftermarket one because of the way it looks in the console, there is HOPE!. The guy I bought it from has the Ebay name "cantulla". I'm sure others are for sale on Ebay, but I can recommend this guy. Here is the link to the one I bought. He doesn't have any others posted right now, but I'm sure you can ask him and he'll probably list one for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I- - T&item=300330770834
  • Hello:

YOU may be sorry that you bought the TOYOTA Nav. I bought 2008 Highlander Limited and my sales guy + dealership "talked me OUT" of buying the Toyota model for one simple reason. The upgrades to the maps are VERY expensive and features of the Toyota model are far more inferior to the latest Tom-Tom or Garmin brands. Plus, the Tom-Tom and/or Garmin upgrades to the maps are MUCH cheaper and much more user friendly. I bought the model you can use as hand-held, use in another vehicle, or out on the boat. Like it a lot and very user friendly.
    So, for what YOU paid, be READY to spend some money when it comes time to UPGRADE your maps on the TOYOTA model. I am NOT sorry that I did NOT buy the Toyota model.
    Be aware of tearing apart your dash and voiding any warranty features as well.
    Good luck.
  • thardgravethardgrave Posts: 57
    Well I have had my 2008 Highlander with navigation for about 1 1/2 years now, and both my wife and son have the Tom Tom portable units. I can say after trying all of them quite a bit, I am still very happy with my built in Toyota unit. Yes, it is not perfect and does have some limitations and drawbacks, but for me, it works very well. As for updates, I have not ordered any yet, and feel no need to do so anytime soon.
    The main drawback for me with the portable units is the mounting. There is no good place to mount it other than the windshield and it is very distractring and annoying at times. I also like the integration of mine and the bluetooth unit. Maybe not for everyone, but not everyone is going to like the Tom Tom either.
  • I am looking for my boss to find a color key for the navigation system on the Highlander - for example when driving green is displayed for parks & golf courses, blue for beaches and water areas - what is pink, red, yellow/beige and other colors?
  • I have a 2008 Highlander Limited, at 18k miles. I have been hearing a sound for the past a few months often at low speed, when I just start the car and pulling out of drive way or park the car. Now I think of it, I hear the sound when I am driving the car in Reverse Gear. It sounds like the sound is from the suspension or brake (sound more like snap of a spring). It's a short and one-time sound, yet I am curious whether anyone else has the same experience and whether I should have it checked out by the dealer.

The car drives well and fine otherwise.
  • I now have about 26,000 miles on mine, and have not experienced a noise like that...in fact, I have had virtually no problems at all with mine...great car! Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have the dealer look and listen to it to make sure.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Sounds as if what you're hearing might be dueto the "backlash" in the brake pad mounting. The pad is free to move just a tiny bit when you change from forward braking to rear braking.

Most common when you park overnight having pulling straight forward into your garage and then brake to stop. During the night the pad will "seal" ("stickion") to the rotor and now in the morning when you back out of the garage and/or apply the brakes in reverse, you will hear a sound as the pad "snaps" loose and moves backward/forward about 0.050".
  • That makes sense.

Thanks a lot for the info. :) :) :) :)
  • I live in New England and recently purchased a 2010 Toyota Highlander base Model V6 4WD I am having reception problems with the FM Band. I have approached Toyoyta Regional and they claim it is a design flaw and offer -0- for fixes or corrections.

I asking the region of Toyota Owners for some feedback. What do you think and have had similar problems? :lemon:
  • I live in S. Calif. and only use the FM once in a while, but when I do, the reception seems just fine to me. Maybe some of the others can add something to this, but it is hard to imagine them admitting to a design flaw and then offer not fixes...have you tried another dealer?? Have you seen any other posts elsewhere to determine if this is really a problem for them? If it were a design flaw, I would think it would affect many users................
    Do you by chance mean the fade in and out, "picket fencing effect" as the result of multipath FM signals as you drive along...??

SOP.
  • I met the owner of a 2009 Highlander, Limited model and compared his vehicle to my 2010 Base model. The primary difference that was noted is in the 2009 Highlander the antenna is located in the rear window located next to the third seat,
    not on the right front fender. From my discussion with him he acknowledged that his previous 2006 Highlander had the radio antenna on the right front fender and he did have reception problems. I believe that Toyota should acknowledge the flaw and offer to correct it.
    I'm pretty sure Toyota uses 2 FM antennas, "diversity reception", in order to help avoid the multipath problems. The secondary/minor antenna is the one in the window.
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Posts: 55
    I have 2008 Sport. I wonder if anyone has installed aftermarket remote engine start
    and how well it works ? Also, how hard would it to be the install for DYI ?

thanks
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    Hello out there,

I want to tell you that my highlander did a beautiful job in the biggest snow storm Roanoke, VA has seen in a long time. This is my first snow with the Highlander, and it went through the 16 inches of snow on the roadways without any problems ! I recently bought the new HT tires, and they are also great ! Very quiet, and go great through the snow. I feel at ease knowing this great SUV will get me through tough weather. I did not slide or spin at all, and the conditions were very bad as I picked up a friend from work at the worst possible time. To all of you thinking about a Highlander, I highly love this vehicle, and it will do a great job for you. Also, the HT tires are great...less noise, and went beautifully in the snow. I have a 2008 Highlander Limited. Love it...fun to drive....especially in the snow !
    Ronn
  • Except for the original tires on my 04 Highlander Limited (Goodyear), I have not had good luck with tires. The softer tires (Michelin) tend to let the car "roll" onto the outer edges and thus wear. I went back to as close to the original Goodyear tire as I could find on my last set and results have been better. Was considering the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred but in one review, it mentioned that it was a softer tire like the Michelin. Anyone have experience with these tires on a Highlander?
  • The the radio actually losses the fm signal as i drive further away from the radio station. For the record I am within a 50-60 mile radious of the radio station.
  • No, the radio fm signal does not "fade in and out". The radio litterly loses the radio signal.
  • Here is my question:

When my 85lb daughter sits in the front passenger seat the passenger airbag indicator sometimes says 'on' and other times says 'off''. When I questioned the Toyota Service Manager at my local dealer he told me that the air bag will come on when a total of 65lbs are placed in the seat.

Ok can anyone confirm that the airbag turns on at 65lbs?

What is the actual story of the passenger airbag?
    2008 Highlander Limited with almost every bell and whistle.

Also how can I get in contact with the Toyota district rep?

Thxs
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    It's not immediately obvious to me...but why would you want your daughter sitting in the front seat anyway? How old is she?

The safest location for probably anyone, but especially for a child, is rear seat (2nd row for 3 row vehicles), middle position...which puts them farthest possible from any exterior point of the car in case of front, side or rear impact. Also reduces the risk of injury from airbags. Our son always rides in the 2nd row middle of our '09 HL unless we have other passengers or I have the seat split with half down, then the next best position is rear seat, behind the driver (in collision situations, most drivers natural instinct is to steer to keep themselves furthest from impact, resulting in impact on passenger side). Although we have 3 row seating, we rarely use and for the odd ocassion we do, i will opt for an adult to ride back there, even at the risk of comprimising comfort... :-)

In Canada, it is recommended that children 12 and under ride in back. If my wife has her way, she'll have him riding in the back seat until he's 16 and driving! Seriously though, our son is 11, weighs about the same as your daughter and under no circumstance would I let him ride in the front seat of any vehicle at this age, height and weight. If necessary, (ie. cargo is occupied with "stuff", I would simply make other arrangements. But, that's just me...

Perhaps you have a need to put her in the front....I don't know. I would strongly recommend, if at all possible, you consider other alternatives so she can sit in 2nd row.

Cheers.
  • Not that I don't appreciate you mentioning it, but why do you find it necessary to lecture me on this or any other topic.

I would disagree with at least one thinng you said. The safest location for anyone is not in the 2nd row middle but not in a car at all. Since that is utterly impractical how about sticking to the topic which is the airbag system in the Toyota Highlander. If you don't have anything to add to that then don't add anything. That way I won't have to be annoyed at people like you that feel the need to interject where they are not wanted or needed.
    But thanks anyway...
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    I must have hit a cord!

You opened the door in your post by mentioning putting an 85 lb child in the front seat, so that became part of the topic. It's a public forum. I felt inclined to comment and did so. It was not intended as a lecture and I am sorry you feel it was. I thought my response was civil, and I certainly was not rude, although your reply certainly was. Perhaps your reaction is an indication of something else?

Frankly, if you don't like the fact that people may post comments that you will not agree with, then perhaps, on-line forums are not for you.

Anyway, to each his/her own.

Cheers.
  • findmefindme Posts: 36
    I received this for a Christmas present from my husband. I love it! He had spoken to a local mechanic that takes care of our Highlander for regular maintenance and he recommended getting it done at Toyota, because he says he's seen lots of problems afterwards when these are installed either by DYI or otherwise. Since he recommended only getting done at Toyota, that's what my DH did. He was told originally that it would take 4 hours to install, but it took much longer. The mechanic couldn't get the hood latch adjusted the way he wanted. The one from Toyota is a factory installed just like it was installed at the factory. . . Good luck.
  • findmefindme Posts: 36
    I'm a bit nervous about this recall of accelerator problems. There are so many cars being recalled and I just heard that they are halting sales on some Toyota vehicles. I know the 2010 Highlanders are being recalled. Are they sure 2008's aren't involved? It just scares me. I know the 2008 was the new design. What was changed on 2010 from 2008 that might be causing this? Anybody else nervous? Have you heard anything about 2008 acc. sticking? :surprise:
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    The 2010 Highlanders are not only recalled, but Toyota suspended selling them late this afternoon (1-26-2010.) According to the story on MSNBC.COM, the list includes:

2009-2010 RAV4
    2009-2010 Corolla
    2009-2010 Matrix
    2005-2010 Avalon
    2007-2010 Camry
    2010 Highlander
    2007-2010 Tundra
    2008-2010 Sequoia

I have an '08 HL LTD 4x4 and have had no accelerator issues either with the factory carpet mats or the WeatherTech ones I use in the winter.
  • I also have a 2008 Limited and am a little concerned with the whole issue. I think those of us who already have the car (and I love mine...I wouldn't get rid of it for anything right now!) just need to remember the common sense advice if this ever happens in any car......immediately put the car in neutral and use the brakes...that's it, that is all you have to do. Do not turn the engine off, and don't just try and stand on the brakes. This happened to one man with a Camry, and he was able to drive it all the way to the dealer this way without any damage.
  • I have had Toyotas for the last 20 years driving them well past 100K miles. I can't say that I have had any issues other than the problems I created. I still feel confident about Toyotas and am glad to see that they are taking responsibility to do the right thing.
  • krb1krb1 Posts: 15
    I too am a bit concern about this recall. I have Highlander Limited '08. I bought it used with 25,000 miles on it. I use the cruise control as much as possible. Couple of times I was switching lanes and had to brake. When I pushed the cruise control back on, the car seemed to accelarate unusually fast. I jumped on the brakes and was able to slow the car down and disingage the cruise control, but it got me scared. Have anybody else experienced this?
    The other issue I have is the current mileage I am getting. I used to get pretty good mileage before putting new tires on. At 45,000 miles I needed new tires as they were severely worn down. After the new tires were put on, the gas mileage went down significantly. Is this normal? Do I use more gas just because it's winter time? My driving routine has not changed. Thanks for any feedback.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Normal action for cruise control. Putting the cruise control back on resume will usually cause car to accelerate fast, if you don't like it, manually press on gas pedal till proper speed is reached and then resume cruise control.
    Yes, winter driving will always use more gas because of engine warmup and cooldown. The new tires may also have more rolling resistance than the older tires, but check to make sure tires are at proper pressure, the new tires may have not been properly inflated and one cannot use visual means to check the pressure.