Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2006+

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Thanks.

The weightlifter was just a joke. I peppered a lot of odd references in there ("Arrested Development", nursey rhymes, etc).
    Yeah. trying to find a replacement before May. I'm giving Audi/VW their fair shake - regardless of my prior issues with my 01 Jetta, I still can't help being attracted to that 2.0. The A3's handling isn't as sharp as the GLI but I sure like the seating/interior in the A3 more.

I've heard the GTI will be 300-400 lbs lighter than the GLI, so that should help handling. Hopefully VW will lower the car's stance too. German models of the Jetta and Golf are considerably lower than the ones we get here. Weird. someone said it was to help side impact ratings. True?

Even with all my smack, I still love that engine/tranny. Can't help myself.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    0-60 6.7 - pretty good
    25/32 mpg also pretty good

With revolutionary DSG if they keep the price within a couple g's of say a TSX (slower, worse mpg with 6MT) I can see this being a winner.

• fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I do not like those wheels. They look VERY aftermarket to me. They look like wheels a teenager would put on his/her car. Just my opinion!!!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I bet the American one will have different rims. Those are VERY European.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    The GLI I saw at my local dealership had different rims - similar to the 2004 R32.
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Is it same as 2004GLI rim? I like the red colour brake calipers looks like Brembo. Also their disc rotors are bigger. Their fog lights are cool.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I think those are VW's optional larger diameter wheels (18 inch???) for the GLI...notice the rubberband-like tires. The standard GLI has 17 inch wheels, I believe.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    The wheels I saw on the GLI are the optional 18" wheels.
    Yes it has different rims in the usa. They suck too.
    How tall and thin this car is in person. It's gotta stand at least 60 inches high! And you feel it massively in the corners as the thing leans and dives like crazy.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    Not in love with the wheels, but the overall look is a step up from the base model, IM(not so)HO...

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,428
    But the plastic front looks even more like Corolla... I hate to say it, but here it is even a good thing, cause those chromes are probably the worst feature in the base Jetta.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• We're going to move this discussion to its permanent home on the Sedans board in a day or so. If you are subscribed to it or have it bookmarked, nothing will change for you. If not, now's a good time to do so. You can always locate this discussion using the search tools at the left. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

With all the discussion regarding VW’s “base” 2.5L 5 cylinder producing only 150hp, it is interesting to read the new or “newer” engines coming out.

A new 1.4L (turbo & supercharged) version produces:
    170 hp / 177 ft/lb (1750 – 4500)
    39-47 mpg on Euro tests, so not really comparable, but even the low end is pretty impressive.

These stats would make a fine “base” engine.

Not sure of the cost of this engine when comparing it to the 2.5L. I always thought the development and production of a turbo was more than a larger engine…even with more cylinders, larger cams, valves etc…so I’m not sure if the cost with a super charger AND a turbo charger would be any cheaper than making a 170hp version of the 2.5L (low torque of supercharger is always nice).
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    39-47 mpg on Euro tests

Those are in imperial gallons, subtract 20% for US gallons. I wished VW would clarify when releasing its material - this practise is just not acceptable.

At any rate, the 170hp TDI (the other new engine for the Golf GT) is the one I have been talking about. If VW has any sense, they should make it available in the US the day the new Diesel fuel regulations take effect.
    You are correct.

Mileage should read
    7.2 l/100km ~ 33 mpg
    5.9 l/100km ~ 40 mpg

And that is the Euro (non EPA) test...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Makes you wonder why go to hybrids?...Accord hybrid is at 29 mpg / 37 mpg and I understand the (some of the???) hybrids tend to not come close to advertised mpg.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    ...try to remember that none of these wonderful new drivetrains is planned for the US market - not the intriguing new compound turbo/supercharged gasoline engine, and not the new TDIs, either. VW execs here have already been quoted as believing that for the US, "displacement is king", and are correctly waiting for the American public to quit whining about fuel costs and start actually changing their behavior and buying preferences....though there is a chicken-egg thing that happens there: if you don't offer the option, and the market doesn't even know the engines exist [which most Americans won't], how do you develop demand?
    While I agree with you regarding hybrids (waste of money), the Accord has a higher output than the engines listed above (if that’s your thing). I don’t think hybrid mileage fairs as well as a diesel if driven even moderately aggressive (oxymoron ?).

Perhaps hybrids wont be a “waste of money” once gas tops $5 a gallon.

I read, somewhere, that VW will be bringing hybrids as well…but I won’t hold my breath.

Personally I would pay the equivalent of $5 a gallon for an alternative to oil/crude/gas …just to give the middle east the big middle finger…