Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2006+

Comments

• I just bought the 2006 Jetta with package 1. Basically, its the 2.5 Jetta, with a Sunroof, and the radio is Satillite radio either XM or Sirius. I got the Sirius its much better. The other features different from the Value Edition are 16 inch alloy wheels and leatherette.
  • >>CONS:
    - Engine noise after a cold engine start- first 10 seconds is annoying
    - Tried changing settings for interior and exterior lights but didn't work. I still don't have footwell lights even after I set it to ON and at 100%
    - Opposite to the exhaust, on the right side facing the back of the car, there's a missing small cover or panel.
    - Wind noise on the freeway
    - Auto-open trunk door is temperamental. It works and it doesn't.
    - Suspension on bumpy road is between average to uncomfortable
    - Called Service 4 times in 2 days to setup an appointment and always gets the voicemail. Still waiting to call me back.

Additional problems. The driver side one-touch up/down power window stopped working. And the front passenger keyless entry is not working. I need to unlock it from the inside.
    Once again, I got their voicemail when I called to sched an appointment and I still need to receive a return call from them. Their service sucks and I am very dissapointed. I bought the car from Van Nuys Volkswagen in San Fernando Valley. I need to have my car serviced. Is there anybody who knows another place I could have my car serviced?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I'd just try a different VW dealer.
  • Just finished driving 2.0T Jetta w/Pkg #1. 1st one in the lot. Not as aggresive look as the GLI, but full of features. Power seat, wood trim etc. Not to bad. Anyne else care to chime in?
  • asatasat Posts: 4
    The start up noise could be the time it takes for the engine's sensors to adjust for the low octane fuel. Check and see what the German car needs. Bumpy ride. Mine was unbearable and I checked the air pressure and it was at 45 psi instead of 32. Believe me my back didn't like it either. I have 05.5 tdi with the dsg package 2 and I love it. My 23 year old son begs to drive it. I love the car. :shades:

Don :)
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    GLI has a sportier suspension. Also, the GLI comes with either cloth or leather, but the 2.0t only comes with leatherette (vinyl) or leather. The manual trans is 6speed in both the GLI and 2.0t, but the auto in the GLI is the DSG and the auto in the 2.0t is just a regular 6speed slushbox.
  • the auto in the 2.0t is just a regular 6speed slushbox.

Are you sure about this? This is news to me, and also a bit surprising given VWs dislike of creating unnecessary options and combinations. Then again, I have not seen one at the local dealer, yet.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    VW has indicated the start-up noise is due to the time it takes to pressurize the hydraulic valve lifters. Not a terribly good explanation since other cars with hydraulic valve lifters do not make this noise (including the 2.0 from VW itself).

I recommend full synthetic oil, which leaves a good lubricating film on internal parts even after most of the oil has drained back into the crankcase.
  • I just bought a 2006 Jetta in Reflex Silver with Package 1. Im thinking of getting a auto lock for it or something. The dealer didnt give me a good review of the security system can anybody tell me how the Immobilizer 3 works? And can anyone recommend something to buy instead of a club for the car?
  • So help me a little, the noise when you first start the car is normal for the jetta?
  • So the noise on start up is normal for the 2005 Jetta?
    Well, I haven't actually seen a 2.0t with AT yet either. The scales guys at my local VW dealer thought the MT on the 2.0t would be a 5speed, so I guess you never know with VW until the cars show up on the lot. Maybe they'll put the DSG in the 2.0t, we'll have to wait and see. The VW web site doesn't have the info yet.
  • lorelore Posts: 17
    So the noise on start up is normal for the 2005 Jetta?

Yes, the pump is turned on and pumps the oil at the bottom of the engine back to the top.
  • David,

Could I ask which dealer helped you? Apparently VW hasn't released a TSB yet, and mine seems to think that the noise is competely normal. I could do the call around routine, but I'd rather prove them wrong, just on principle :).

Thanks!
  • My new 2006 jetta does the loud start up when the engine is cold in the morning. Is it normal for the RPM's to be unusually high too? They hover just under the 20 line. After about 10 sec. it is back under the 10 line. Has anyone put premium gas in their new jetta's? Manual recommends it, so could the use of regular gas be causing the noise?
  • David,

Yes, I was referring to the steering moan - sorry for being unclear there.

I'm in Seattle. Working with the dealerships around here can be "wheel-of-morons" at times, and the one that I usually deal with is considered the "good" one.

I may give Louie a call just to see if I can get some info about the supposed upcoming TSB.

Thanks again!
  • joevwjoevw Posts: 3
    Actually the 6 speed manual in the regular Jetta 2.0 is the same as the GLI. Its just you will NEVER find one. The 2.0 model is an upscale model that is suppose to be more luxury then sport.
    "Actually the 6 speed manual in the regular Jetta 2.0 is the same as the GLI. Its just you will NEVER find one. The 2.0 model is an upscale model that is suppose to be more luxury then sport."

Never say never. I have already driven a Jetta 2.0t 6 speed manual. The guys at the dealer were surprised when it was delivered, as they thought it should have the 5 speed.
  • Just checking. Is the jetta a good car. We are looking at the Accord and the Camry. I drove the Jetta. I liked it. I liked the Camry. I just want to know if you owners are happy and satisfied. I keep hearing about road noise and the engine knocking, speakers rattling. etc. I like the car's look etc. especially the sport package with the spoiler and ground effects,. So is it a good car a great car or just an ok car. Thanks your input its appreciated. we are DFW so if you guys had a good experience with your dealer let us know whom to speak with at the dealership.
    thanks
  • The noise is gone! Have your dealer call VW. There's a new transmission fluid formula that they are using. It seems the tranny gears are square cut and 'moan' under load (when you're making low speed turns). The new fluid lubes better I guess.

Good luck,
    David ;)