Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Toyota Solara

Comments

• You had some good points about the sebring. I did basically the same thing that you did, I put in all the options that I wanted on both cars and then compared prices. Its true that the sebring has a higher MSRP, but they do have more deals going right now. If solara wasn't coming out with a new model, I would definitely go with the sebring, but the new choices make it difficult. My younger sister is currently waiting for my car now ('96 chevy cavalier), so I don't know if i can hold out until March, I may end up with the sebring anyway :) Haven't seen any pics of the convertible yet, just the coupe.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    You make some good points also however, keep in mind the Convertible Solara was limited production. Only about 5000 per year if that many as opposed to the mass produced Sebring.
                 : )
                 Mackabee
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The shape of the new Solara, especially in black, makes the car look low slung and very stealth.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I believe Consumer Reports said the Sebring had good reliability. The Limited gets higher than $28K, the LXi is less. Like I said, the Solara SLE is equal to LXi not the Limited. Actually, the Solara convertible SLE V6 starts around $30K not $28K so that really makes the Sebring less.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    For now. But if you've noticed, across the Solara line for the 2004, standard equipment levels are up, and prices are down in some cases, similar in others, and where they are higher (as in the case of the SLE V6) MAJOR options are now standard (think: leather). It is a better equipped car for the dollar.

Pricing hasn't been relased yet for the convertible (obviously), but is it that much of a stretch to think that it will follow suit with regard to pricing/equipment?

~alpha
  • jrp6977jrp6977 Posts: 87
    Any ideas as to when the '04 will show up on dealer's lots? I'm very anxious to see one up close, particularly since Honda really dropped the ball on the Accord coupe styling for '03. It will be interesting to see the competition between the two models.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Posts: 350
    As coolguyky7 said, black usually brings out the look of a vehicle. I'm a fan of dark blue and dark green in particular, and I can't wait to see the 2004 Solara looks like in those colors, as well as black and silver (classy for a light color). I liked the new 2004 Solara ever since it hit the auto shows, but I'm not really a fan of that bright red color.

As a comaprison to the Accord coupe, the Solara's styling is hands down the better of the two. The new Accord coupe is grotesque.
    IMO, is far and away the best color on the Camry (even makes the LE with those wretched 15 inch hubcaps look decent), and if it is offered on the Solara, I'm sure it will be a knockout- especially with the standard 16 in alloys (I am curious to see their design- I believe it is the 17 inchers that are in most of the pics available currently- can anyone confirm?)
    ~alpha
    The car will be at dealers lots first week in August. There is no green (sorry i_luv_toyota) for 2004, and there are two blues. The Cosmic blue that's on the Matrix and a new one called Oceanus blue which I gather from the paint code (8R4) is a dark blue. Colors available for 2004 are: Absolutely red (same as MR2 and Celica) Desert sand (same as Camry) Lunar Mist (same as Camry) Arctic Frost pearl which replaces Diamond white pearl and is the same as on the new Sienna LTD (very nice color! should look great on Solara) Super Black (not Blacksand pearl) Cosmic blue and Oceanus blue.
                          Mackabee
    shiny green (sadly not available on the 2004), and a pretty cream or off-white.
  • defstitchdefstitch Posts: 4
    The 2004 will also be available in Phantom Grey Pearl which is like a charcole grey
    The Sebring is recommended and the Solara is not.
  • I've decided to wait until March and get the '04 convertible. (SE Sport, prob V6, in Lunar mist metalic) But I am interested if anyone here is seriously considering buying the coupe in aug/sept. I would like to know what you think of the car, any problems, etc.
    There will be no 2004 convertible; at least not until 2004 but that will probably be a 2005 model. The Sebring is now on the top ten list for 2004 by Edmunds and the Solara is not. Have you gone to a dealership and looked at the Sebring?
    How would expect the Solara conv. to make the list when it will not even be available to the press at least next year????

Why does Edmunds have a list out for 2004 already when half of the 04s arent out yet? How can the Solara coupe be expected to make the list? Is this list make or break for a vehicles sales success or overall indication of quality and performance? Hardly.
    if they didn't know about every 2004 model. So they must know about the Solara. If you want to see it, go to www.edmunds.com , look at the front page (some people are SO annoying) and click on the 2004 Car Buying Guide.
    Look at the top of the page, it says "PREVIEW". Read the text; it is indicated that information relayed in this article is from the vehicle's introduction at NYIAS.

If edmunds.com is picking vehicles to recommend without first driving them, that is a sorry way to operate an automotive journalistic piece, and furthers my impression that is a second rate source of new car review information.

I've said it before- the Tools (TMV, TCO, etc) are outstanding, as are these boards. Road, Comparison, and Long-term tests... not so much.

~alpha

PS-Libertycat, I sincerely hope that you were not calling me annoying.
  • I would have to agree with most of your opinions. Where else have you found information on the solara ('04)? rather than more message boards, I have gone to those, and much prefer edmunds, but I agree with you on your opinion of the testing.
  • as for your comment libertycat, I have heard nothing but problems about the sebring, and don't even want to waste my time driving to the dealership and looking at a car that i'm not interested in. I am going to be much happier trusting people I know and going with a much more reliable car (the solara) and waiting until the new model came out. I know you are partial to the sebring, but when others are considering something else, you should consider their thoughts too.
    The colors that I posted before will be the only colors available in the US. Phantom grey is not one of them.
                         Mackabee
This discussion has been closed.