Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Toyota Solara

1272829303133»

Comments

• drmpdrmp Posts: 187
    I am comparing it to camry. If it is longer, would it fit into the camry? I wish they have the same seat rails since I find the camry's seat to be short and doesn't have enough thigh support. I remember sitting into a solara and elt more comfortable with good thigh support, but I need four doors. Toyota please listen up. Why is it so hard to have a long seat bottom like the prevous generation camry, or the current maxima, galant, mazda6, passat? I hope it's not one of the cost cutting measures.
  • Anyone have any information on the navigation system that comes as an option on the Solara. We have a Magellan portable system in our other car, and I was wondering if it was worth it to get the standard system in the solara or just to go with a magellan system. Is the solara's system CD based? How is the coverage?
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Posts: 162
    Any recent car Navigation will be superior than the hand held one. For one, all latest Nav using DVD to cover 48 states. Hand held one use flash memory or compact flash card with up to a state's map and destinations. Some metro area like L.A. take full of the memory. Some larger portable model using CD-Rom which need to replce when travel to a new area. Maybe there are newest models adopting DVD but performance and user friendness can't come close to the better design car NAV. About a year ago, CR did portable NAV testing. The results show none is on par of the system form Japanese and Germany brands. The big three are mixed but they are improving the software and should catch up very soon.

Some reviews have reported the NAV saying is quite good considering its lower price and performance. If I remember right, they claim the NAV system is not as good as those in Lexus and Acura, but better than those in european brands. You can get some idea when test drive. Ask your dealer to find one with NAV for test drive. Then you can play with it to see how easy to use and the precision compared side by side with your portable one.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The in car DVD based maps are best, but are generally $1300 to $2000 or more. One hidden cost is that you usually are required to buy some other options before you can order the navigation, so the real cost is even higher if you weren't going to get the other options anyway.
    In the last year, hand held units have improved. They do not have all the shortcomings you listed, but still are not as nice as a DVD based system.
    I can load the maps of CA, Nevada and Oregon on a 256MB SD card on a PDA and have room to spare with some PDA based systems. I can load the entire US on the hard drive of a laptop based system using Routis 2004. If I want to go "cross country" I will fly, not drive, so the PDA system works fine for me.
    The GPS software and hardware cost about $200, so it is super cheap if you already own a laptop or newer PDA. If you have to buy a PDA or laptop for the sole purpose of using it for nav and have no need for the portability, then just get the built-in system.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Posts: 162
    The NAV is $1,350 MSRP option alone without any other option on the SLE and SE V6. I have PDA and have checked out the NAV software. It dies provide your location and direction to the destination. But what it lack is other resources like ATM, Back, restaurant and more importantly hospitals and police station. You ahve to to plan in advance since you need to download it if plan changed and you have to bring along your Laptop. My company is working on GPS so we have collected and compared many portable GPS system. None is as capable and easy to use as car Nav. If you need one, buy the one in the car. There do exist the portable one is bigger (not PDA-like) and can be installed in the car like those after market one. CR has test them and rated them from fair to good while auto OEM is good (CD-ROM based) to excellent (ACURA and Lexus are quoted).

Another reason why those PDA platform unit performace poorly is power. PDA need to save power to keed the battery last longer. The power it emits is about 10% of those car based or after market. The difference is how many satelite you can link. The more linked, the higher precision. This is particular critical in metro without lots of high building or hilly area with many big tree. Along the hwy, the PDA should work fine though.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    You are not using a good PDA system. Routis 2004 has banks, atms, gas stations, restaurants, hospitals, shopping centers etc.. Like I said, I am able to load CA, plus adjoining states on an 256MB SD card, so you do not have to plan in advance or bring a laptop along with all nav programs.
    Try to find a Solara SE or SLE with nav and no other options.
    Many Lexus models are completely impossible to find with nav unless they also have the Mark Levinson stereo, rear DVD video entertainment system etc..
    The GPS unit I use does not only work out on the highway. I have used it in the city with tall buildings and trees around and had no problems, you can even add an external antenna for better reception. I have heard about ones with severe problems, but better navigation software and GPS hardware have come out in the last few months. Power is not a problem, the GPS I plugged into my PDA normally tracks 8 or more satellites and the PDA simply plugs into the cigarette lighter power port in the car.
    I still like the in car systems since they are easier to use than dealing with a laptop or PDA and the new Honda and Acura systems let you input commands with your voice (which is very cool), but they are all very expensive and don't add all that much to the resale value.
  • theflowtheflow Posts: 98
    I totally love the Nav. It uses DVD. Very convenient and useful if you like to travel around and have an active lifestyle. The only thing I don't like is I cannot "hide" the Nav. Not like those from Volvo or the new Mazda 3, it is not retractable and there's no cover to "hide" the nav. So I'm kinda worried sometimes if I have to park outdoor.

BTW, I think the Solara's Nav is pretty cheap given it's quality.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    OK, it's long past time for us to join other owners in one of the active discussions. We'll close this one, and you can continue in one of these others:
    Toyota Solara--Part 6
    Toyota Camry Solara: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.