Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Toyota Solara

Comments

• kgw707kgw707 Posts: 19
    I've had 2 celica's and a '99 Solara from the same sales guy for the last 15 years. So I stopped by to see him, went through all regions preallocations, and got him to change the color on an SLE to the Cosmic Blue with Dark Stone interior. It's being built on Aug 18th, so I figure by the end of the month I should be able to SEE it.....just added the spoiler option...everything else standard....will keep you posted.
  • howiebxhowiebx Posts: 20
    Congratulations on your SLE.
    I am thinking of getting one too. I live in NY
    and I was wondering what options you chose and what they are charging.
    Thanks
  • scottdudescottdude Posts: 177
    Why wouldn't the web site be updated the same time brochures come out? I mean, brochures probably take a few months to design and print. A web site page redesign shouldn't take half that long.

By the way, overall I don't have a major problem with the Toyota web site, but I think they dropped the ball on the Solara re-launch.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Minor quibbles:

1) no dual climate control on the SLE

2) no power passenger seat

3) no Xenons
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I'm surprised by the lack of dual AC, as well. Even the Accord has it. Did the pre-2004 have a power passenger seat available? Even the Sienna XLE LTD doesn't have it. But, then again, the Acura TSX lacks one, too.
    I only added the spoiler...the rest is stock SLE...as far as price, my guy said it comes to 26,680.....LIST....we havent even talked price yet....will keep you posted.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Number One: THE TOYOTA WEBSITE SUCKS! They don't update the cars even after they've gone on sale. Also, they don't list the incentives that are going on during "TOYOTA TIME", they just redirect you to the dealer search page.
    Number Two: Crosstown rivals Nissan and Honda update their sites frequently. (Nissan is a bit slower than Honda- but Honda is really fast. The Pilot page went up a couple of weeks before it went on sale) Also, they have a dealer inventory search system. VERY EASY TO USE! On Toyota's website, when I'm just wondering what Siennas my local dealer has in stock without going to the dealer, I have to go to the dealer's website- which has no inventory search either.
    Number 3: Why can't Toyota just distribute Toyotas in the Gulf States/Southeast region themselves? I'm sure they'd gain some customers who bought Accords and Altimas instead of Camrys because of those aftermarket Alloy Wheels installed by whoever distributes the Toyotas down there right now.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    One thing about Honda's site...their news section REALLY sucks. The freshest story at some points is months old. Toyota really does a good job on its press releases.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    With the 5-speed automatic in the '04 Solara, what do they mean by "sequential automatic"? Is that a manual shift mode?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I don't read the news anyways. I get that from edmunds.com and my Motor Trend subscription.
  • howiebxhowiebx Posts: 20
    I only added the spoiler...the rest is stock SLE...as far as price, my guy said it comes to 26,680.....LIST....we havent even talked price yet....will keep you posted.
    Thanks and good luck,
    I went to my local Toyota dealer and they were
    clueless...

Did $26,680 include NAV? and Do you think
    the dealer would negotiate further.
  • jjgittesjjgittes Posts: 54
    Anyone seen an '04 in a SoCal dealership yet? Also, how are they showing up equipped, and what are they actually being priced at? It will be interesting to see if any pricing pressure is put on 6cyl accord coupes.
  • should send them an e-mail. I sent one today and will post my e-mail and it's response should I get one.

If you want to email them yourself here's the address: toyota_cares@toyota.com

Put "website updates" in subject line.
  • "I'm surprised by the lack of dual AC, as well. Even the Accord has it. Did the pre-2004 have a power passenger seat available? Even the Sienna XLE LTD doesn't have it. But, then again, the Acura TSX lacks one, too."

What do you expect from Honda? LOL! :-)
    The price didn't include NAV....dont need it. Once the car arrives, and I test drive it, then we'll talk price. he will negotiate.....
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day. Yesterday there was a new gray 2004 at my local Toyota dealership. My take on the styling is very elegant similar to the ES300 but much nicer and sportier lines. The way that the crease along the sides integrates into the headlights is very attractive. This car as others have stated borrows some of the styling cues of the Lexus SC430 and in my opinion with better execution.

And one could buy the entry level SE with the six cylinder and most options for about $21,000.00. Thankyou goodness for the economic freedom that we have left. This car is an amazing value.

The interior looks much more upscale than the price class and the satin trim looks great. And there is plenty of luggage room, close to 14 cubic feet.

A very impressive car that draws with its styling and has to win you over with the finish quality and value.

I am looking forward to seeing the car in the Artic Pearl and the other great colors.
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    "Why can't Toyota just distribute Toyotas in the Gulf States/Southeast region themselves? I'm sure they'd gain some customers who bought Accords and Altimas instead of Camrys because of those aftermarket Alloy Wheels installed by whoever distributes the Toyotas down there right now."

This is the way I understand it, and if I'm wrong someone please correct me. A long time ago when Toyota first came to the US, the regions weren't controlled by Toyota themselves. They relied on these investors to help get them going, and when Toyota became successful they started to buy back control. The Southeast/Gulf regions refused to sell out so to this day they are still not under control of Toyota. Toyota builds the cars like any other place but once it arrives at the "port" the SE/Gulf region slaps on aftermarket alloy wheels, adds the dreaded ToyoGuard Package, charges more for floormats and other PIO and any other scams they can dream up. Most cars in the lots will have that ToyoGuard Package and it's difficult to not have to pay something for it.

From what I understand, it's not Toyota's fault and not the individual dealer's fault, this is something the people in charge of these regions force on the cars and the cost is passed on to the dealers, and in return the dealer must recoup the money they're charged by charging the customer as well.

This is the explanation I've heard for all the nonsense that the SE/Gulf regions do. Could someone confirm this for me or if it's not true, could someone explain to me why this is going on? I've always wondered if this explanation was true or not.
    There is no "gray" per say on the color chart in the brochure. Could it have been the "steel blue" or Cosmic Blue that you saw ?????
  • Okay, somebody who has a Solara ordering guide, answer this one for me. Everything I've seen indicates that all 2004 Solaras come with alloy wheels. If that's true, then what is this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=33744&item=2427645296

I am in the hubcap business and those are definitely not any wheel covers I have ever seen before, which makes me think the description might be accurate. So, what 2004 Solaras come with wheel covers???

-Andrew L
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    pzev, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description of SE/Gulf States distributors. They must be very profitable otherwise they would have sold the distributorship back to Toyota a long time ago.

Hubcaps, all SOLARA 04'S come standard with alloy wheels. Never seen that wheel cover design before.

jchan, have you tried using the phone? Works everytime and you get updated information instantly.

: )
                         Mackabee
This discussion has been closed.