Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Fleetwood

Comments

• beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    The mileage isn't a big deal, as long as it has obviously been driven some and maintained well--not just rotting in the garage for months on end. If it was just a lightly driven garage queen that got pampered with the best maintenance, all should be well.

As for the hauling you did, having such a big, strong car is nice isn't it? ;) All that style, space, and power, yet you don't have to drive the dime a dozen Tahoe or Expedition like everyone else...and you can even tow almost as much, or more, than them if the car is equipped properly.

When these cars have the full tow package from the factory, including a mechanical (vs. electronic) cooling fan, stiffer supension, and other tow bits like lower rear gears, they're actually rated to tow 7000 pounds. It's less if they're not tow pack cars (most aren't), but all can still tow.

Like you mentioned, having your mechanic do a once over would be the best idea.

So, have it checked out, and if you end up buying it, drive it for a while, then make sure to check it out again and continually just to make sure there are no leaks, etc...basically like any used car.
  • a3da3d Posts: 11
    Pat, sis, and beach,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. The KBB for the '94 Fleetwood (Private Party Value) is $6,420 for Excellent condition and the Suggested Retail Value for Excellent condition is $8,340. The private sellers want $7,000. If my mechanic gives me a positive report on the car and condition of the drive train, ball joints, etc., I will probably give them the 7K. I do wonder about the distinction between "Excellent" and "Good" condition and may offer $6,500 depending on the mechanic's report. :confuse:

The Real-World Trade-In Values forum is currently undergoing a database update so I can't post right now, but I will as soon as I can and let you know what they think. Thanks again.

A3D
    I mainly just use Edmunds values because others like KBB are often very overinflated, but in your case, $7k seems wholey acceptable for a car that seems so nice and has so few miles on it.

As for the Excellent vs. Good rating, think of it this way: I just bought ANOTHER Fleetwood ( :shades: ), this time a '95 model with 117k miles on it. Obviously has been garaged, the paint is beautiful and not a single molding or emblem is faded, plus it drives very tight and doesn't feel anywhere near having over 100k miles on it. So, technically, it would be "Excellent" in my book, except there's a few minor things like the kick panel under the steering wheel needs re-attached, there's a small scrape on the underside edge of the front bumper, and there's 2 small wear marks on the driver's seat leather--so, in essence, it honestly falls under the "Good" category.

If everything is like new and you won't have to touch a thing from the start, that's "Excellent". But if it's a lot like that, but has various little things like wear marks on the seat and a loose trim piece here of there, then it's probably "Good".

BTW...mine was advertised for $4995 cash at a used car dealer near where I live (was a trade-in at a new car dealer down the road, then got bought by this smaller used car place). Edmunds said $5100 dealer retail, but since I knew it needed a few minor things, I offered $4500 cash and got it--a great deal, considering how nice a car it is.

But, yeah, have your mechanic check it out and even if there's one or two minor things that may need attention sometime, go for it--and the $6500 would be a great price to offer, even having just seen the pics and knowing the mileage on my part. Good luck :)

Oh, here's a couple pics of my new one...

Doing a great job keeping the '93 Fleetwood and the '92 Roadmaster company :shades:
    That's a beautiful collection of automobiles you have, beach. Having seen the pic of the '94 I'm considering, what is the name of exterior color, any idea?

Thanks for your advice and comments.

A3D
    The car you're looking at (according to the pic) is "Frost Beige" in color. And then, if I saw it right, the inside is Light Neutral, like my new '95.

Great color combo and definately one of the easiest to keep clean ;)
    I took the 94 FWB to my mechanic yesterday and he said it was in beautiful condition-no leaks, good hoses, needed a new fuel filter, and a flush & fill after owners replaced a water pump, etc. I took a digital pic of the SPID under the trunk lid, and spent some time decoding the RPOs and it listed the colors as below:

33T Top Color-Light, Driftwood Metallic
    33U Exterior Color-Primary, Light Driftwood Metallic
    52I Interior Trim, Lt Neutral (1)

The only one I couldn't decode was a listing "YM1"...can anyone help me with that one?

Although the rest of the interior is great and in keeping with a 32K mile auto, the leather on the front seat driver side shows more wear. Suggest a leather cleaner/restorer product?

Thanks for your input.
    A3D
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I have a 1994 Cadillac brochure with a listing of paint colors. 33 is listed as frost beige. I don't have any codes like YM1, but my edmunds price lists show a YL1 as leather which was an option on the brougham. But edmunds codes and Cadillac's codes may be different.
    Yeah, actually, here's the thing with that color. Paint Code 33 was used on various GM vehicles and called Light Driftwood Metallic on all of them EXCEPT for the Fleetwood, where it was called Frost Beige. Same color and code, just a different name.
    Sounds TERRIFIC. Mine had two small leaks on the oil cooler lines (right in front, down low), which is SO common with these cars, I pretty much expected it anyway--same thing on our '93. The water pump being recently replaced is a VERY good thing too, as that can be something to watch out for on these cars.

But yours really does sound like it was maintained properly. As for the leather, I need to do a bit of an experiment with mine too, as the Lt. Neutral color allows some dirt to show (from the old owner's use) and there's also a tiny slit and a wear mark on the driver's side. I tried my Lexol leather cleaner quickly, but it doesn't seem effective enough to clean like I need it to, so I'm looking for something else myself right now. As for the two wear spots, I think I'm going to order a custom-color leather repair kit from the net, just not sure when.
    Just for the record, this is what my driver's seat looks like:

Not bad, and really is less noticeable in person unless you're looking for it. I just plan on getting some kind of leather repair kit like the following, to fix the small slit and also the wear mark where the leather's top finish has worn.
    Leather Magic.com
    Leather Repair Kits.com

It's all still soft and supple, and in terrific shape everywhere else--so once I get these marks fixed and the rest cleaned, it should be good as new.
    Yeah, these codes seem to vary depending on the source. I got the "33U=Light Driftwood Metallic" from Anthony Haukap's page: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html#spid

But there is also a listing for "33U=Light Mesa Brown" on the following page: http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/MODERNGMRPO.html

I also have the YL1 code on my sticker: "YL1 Trim Override, Upholstery, Leather/Vinyl". But the "YM1" remains a mystery. :confuse:
    I know a guy who has several well-maintained Caddys and I'll ask him what he uses and add that to the list.
    I also have a Buick brochure which has a light driftwood metallic listed which looks very much like the Cadillac brochure's frost beige. Colors are what they are, the names are probably made up by the marketing department. The YM1 could be anything as there does not seem to be any grouping of stuff starting with "Y". What I mean is that Yxx are various things, not all of them interior materials.
    is a stripe delete code. I found this searching for GM (cadillac) rpo codes.
    That's what I already posted above...it's the same color, and was called Light Driftwood everywhere EXCEPT for Caddy, who called it Frost Beige. Purely for marketing purposes, like you said.
    Check the "33T" & "33U" codes on the list I found at the url below for option codes typically found on the FWB:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html#spid

Here's a pic of my sticker:

http://photobucket.com/albums/e101/A3D06/?action=view&current=fwb_rpos.jpg
    Right, but you did not site a source for your information, and website info is not always correct. One useful point is the current color black, code #41, called black on the Impala, mysterious on the Solstice, black onyx on the Lucerne, and black raven at Cadillac. The point here being that divisions other than Cadillac may have their own names.
    Yeah, exactly. No biggie, just color names :)
    Yeah, either way, Frost Beige or Light Driftwood, it's the same thing--but Cadillac did call it Frost Beige, according to the actual brochures from back then. Just happens when you look up the RPO codes, it comes up as the non-Caddy name sometimes.

Looks like a pretty nicely optioned car...options including Keyless Entry, Auto Dimming Rearview mirror, Locking fuel filler door, Theft Deterrent System, Brougham package, and the typical "soft" ride springs that came standard on all of them (as compared to the firmer FE2 suspension on Tow Pack. cars).

Sounds very nice ;)
    Either Frost Beige or Light Driftwood sounds better than Mesa Brown, but as Shakespeare said:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet".

We bought the Fleetwood and I have learned of the vagaries of GM/Cadillac RPO codes. Good to know that. Thanks for all of your responses and help. I'm a graphic designer, webmaster and member of many forums, user groups, newsletters, etc. over the last nine years and I know a solid online resource when I see it.

This forum has the dedicated and knowledgeable enthusiasts that are the hallmark of all truely great online resources. I look forward to learning more about these great automobiles and this community you all have created.

A3D