Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sulfur Smell from Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    "...and thats why we see lot of dust and road debris on rear window."

Isn't that true for SUVs (and some minivans) in general? I assume you are referring to 4Runners without the rear wing because I know with the wing, my rear cargo window always stays clean.

Interesting theory though. The 4Runner shape is unique and may have unique air flow characteristics, but even so, why do some 4Runners have the sulfur problem while others don't? It's a true mystery.
  • asif1asif1 Posts: 49
    Alfster1, its true that rear wing channels the air flow from top to wipe throught rear cargo window and cleans dust / debris.

The issue of sulfur smell is a combination of certain wind conditions / Gas type and Road condition. curved roads, side ways wind, strong / weak wind might alter the exhaust getting in through vents.
    Do you notice sulfur/exhaust smell oftenly, even though you have rear wing. Diverting some air from top to flow sharply from rear window should help in reducing the exhaust getting in to some extent, but since top of vehicle is mostly at same level, air flowing from sides should be more responsible for poor exhaust's exhuast.
    just my thoughts
    asif
  • tacovivatacoviva Posts: 116
    This is from The Borla website.
    Make
    TOYOTA

Vehicle
    4RUNNER

Model
    4.0L V6/4.7L V8 2+4WD AT/MT 4DR
    legend

Year

Part Number

Your Price
    $869.99

That's not even installed. You may have some inside track to a cheaper version, but most of us will pay $869.99+ installation. I thought, and still think, that $1000 was conservative.

Please stop posting bad information.

link...

http://borla.com/

Derrick,

I sent you all the soft info I have. If you need more, I can use snail mail. I really hope this helps.
  • I agree with the air flow theory. When I have my back window open and driving on dusty roads the interior of my truck is coated with dust! I believe the rear window is sucking in more dust and contaminants that if the back window was closed and the side windows open. The rear 'spoiler' helps with water, but with fine dust/sand, you better keep you windows up unless you want to spend the entire day vacuuming the interior.

At 9,172 miles, no unusual obnoxious odor or smell, with or without the rear window down.
  • You probably paid 'invoice' for your Toyota also. If that is all the research you did about your problem.....? Check out any aftermarket company, Borla sells for $609 to $675. Installation takes a 14mm socket wrench, the ability to read English and about one hour.
    Taco, you still here? I thought you were spending time with your family? Or writing rave reviews about your new Honda?
  • alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    I only notice sulfur smell occasionally if I drive with the rear cargo window open, which I almost never do.
    post the link.
    They don't offer the Borla for the 4Runner. Like I said, it's about 1k.
  • Did you call them? Again, try a little harder in your effort. Their site only lists the Tacoma. I have the Borla, I know how much it cost.

Ok, using your inflated purchase price of $1,000, how much did you lose by dumping yours so fast? Don't say you almost broke even by trading it in, you lost at least $5,000. So, had you spent another 20% of what you lost by trading in early you might have remedied your problem.
  • http://www.hypertuned.com/product_info.php?products_id=921

$739

Goto yotatech.com and type in Borla exhaust under 'search', there are many members who have the set-up and again, the price I have seen posted ranged from $609 to $809.
    When it's all said and done, it'll be closer to 1k than 600.

I got 26k cash for mine and I didn't trade it. I paid 29k for it. I owned it for 1 year and I didn't have to pay for a new exhaust.

Look, it's a great vehicle but it does have a smelly problem that nobody, not even Toyota, can fix.

And that's the bottom line.
  • Which dealership have you been dealing with in the DFW area? I live in Dallas and am about to buy a 2K4 V-8 4Runner Ltd. I've been reading posts on this board and others for about 9 months and am pretty confident with my decision to proceed. But extra info can always help. Thanks
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Posts: 150
    You lost all the tax money also, no? and then you paid taxes again on whatever you bought. Sounds like a lot of money to me.
    I would've paid that much tax money to fix the problem. Besides, I was fed up with Toyota and their CS.
    I bought mine at Toyota of Fort Worth. They have a great sales staff and good pricing, but aterrible Service department.
  • tacoviva, I think this Borla "$1000 fix" you keep repeating (and then comparing to your purchase/selling price of your 4Runner) is a distortion of the situation, and a distraction. Anyone who took the time to read all the posts in this thread would see a number of important things about what's going on:

1. The Borla exhaust "fixes" the problem because it dumps the exhaust to the side of the vehicle (both sides, actually) and gets it away from the cabin exhaust vents that are close by, and are probably sucking in some exhaust smell when on recirculate. In terms of smell production, the Borla doesn't do anything to reduce it because it's bolted on *after* the catalytic converters which are producing it.

2. A cheap (less than $100 at a muffler shop) diversion of the existing exhaust tip to the side would have the same effect and should do as much as the Borla in terms of reducing smell inside the vehicle.

3. From reports here, only a small minority of 4Runners produce the smell frequently, and they're not the only vehicles that do so. For the 4Runners, it's mostly V8s that have the problem.

4. You said you'd try the cheap exhaust diversion, but instead decided that this problem was entirely Toyota's, and you would take no steps to experiment with a fix on your own. You tried to get Toyota to do something about it, but were unsuccessful and sold the vehicle. You did what you did as a matter of principle (as you saw it) and not because it was the easiest or cheapest fix.

I'm not saying you weren't treated badly by Toyota (and that they shouldn't be fixing this themselves), but don't think you've been fair in how you've represented this situation in recent posts.

By the way, the conditions here this morning were just right for showing a lot of visible steam from the exhausts of cold vehicles, and it demonstrated to me how much one's own exhaust "follows" vehicles around. It was certainly true of my 4Runner, but it was surprisingly similar with sedans I saw, too. Putting engine exhaust and cabin exhaust vents close together at the back of any vehicle seems like a bad idea, and I suspect you and I agree entirely here. I'm just trying to emphasize that an adequate fix for some 4Runners need not be a $1k expense.

Also by the way, taking only a $3k hit for 1 year of wear & tear & depreciation speaks really highly of the resale value of this vehicle.
  • $3,000 lost depreciation 4Runner
    $1,300 TTL 4Runner
    $1,300 new TTL Honda?
    $3,000, or more, lost new vehicle depreciation Honda?

Taco, looks like you lost $8,600 by your frustration. Wish I had money to burn. What's a new exhaust in the scheme of things. Just visited my dealer this AM and noticed two new Runners and a Sequoia with the dual Borla.

Taco wrote, "I would've paid that much tax money to fix the problem."
    Why didn't you? The Borla is, according to you $1,000, according to real world pricing it is $800. You lost that much on one trade/sell.

You confuse me, you say you would have fixed the problem, and when offered a solution, you refuse and continue to harp about Toyota. What makes you happy?
  • Well let's not hound him. What's done is done and there's no going back.
    I'm happy with my Tacoma. I'm happy with my wife's Honda. I wasn't happy with the 4Runner.

You only lose when you sell; I haven't sold the Honda so it shouldn't be in the equation. If you invest you know this.

Besides, it's my wife's work vehicle so it doesn't matter.

Toyota should fix the problem, not me.