Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sulfur Smell from Toyota 4Runner

1373839404143»

Comments

• user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    how many miles on it? it's possible it needs the transmission fluid replaced, specially if it is dark in color.

it's also possible you have a lazy / slow solenoid valve assembly which controls where the fluid is ported. my thinking is. they won't replace that for you?

have you brought it to another dealership? should be a warranty item right?

i feel for ya.
  • des19554des19554 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 4Runner and I get the sulfur smell mostly when I drive with my sunroof and rear window open. I am now getting the smell when using the defroster. Toyota dealer told me there is nothing they can do about this, they are aware it is happening but there is no fix. Service manager told me to "just drive with the windows up"! I refuse to alter my ways of utilizing the features of this vehicle and my comfort just to make it easier on the dealer!
  • schtenschten Posts: 1
    I see from the previous post that this is not the first time Toyota has had a problem with their CC's. I bought a new (08) toyota 4runner Limited V8 in March with 13 miles, now has about 11K. She had her first oil change after 5000 miles (as recommended by the dealer) then a month or two later I noticed something strange. When I go from slow to fast at a moderate pace (passing cars, cruise control engaging on a hill, merging from off ramps onto highways, etc.) I get a foul stench inside my car that smells like a mix of ammonia and sulfur. For those who are really quick you put those together to equal pee and poopie. The smell is terribly strong at first then eventually goes away.....until I need to accelerate quickly again.

I have tried various scenarios like accelerating with the AC and the re-circulate on and accelerating with the AC on and the re-circulation off. I have also tried both previously mentioned methods with the AC off. Windows open, windows closed, you name it..I've tried it. I mentioned it to my mechanic before her recent 10,000 oil change, when I picked her up he said everything he checked the exhaust and everything was okay.

Has anyone had any luck having the dealers remedy this since the last post? I'm due for an inspection in September, if I point my mechanic in the right direction, he sees a problem, is there a chance it won't pass? If it does, I was planning on bringin the failure slip to the dealer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
  • goodstargoodstar Posts: 27
    I seem to remember reading my owners manual that it cautions against driving with the rear window open because of fumes entering the cabin. We have a 07 sport edition with V8 and have never noticed sulfur smell.

good luck with resolving the problem.
  • A while back I had owned a 1997 4Runner that I absolutely loved and now am thinking about buying another one because I need to get something with a V8 engine in it but don't want something that overly big either. However after reading many posts throughout this forum I now have definate concerns about purchasing another 4Runner. Can someone please let me know if every single year of 4Runners is experiencing the same problem. For example, I was considering maybe 2003 to 2007 but to me I believe that I read comments in this forum about every single one of those years possibly being effected by this smell. Any information/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I read comments in this forum about every single one of those years possibly being effected by this smell.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the sulfur smell. It's not like it's persistent or choking or toxic or anything like that. Typically, you occasionally get a whiff of it then it's gone.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pjwaszkopjwaszko Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Tacoma pre runner. I have noticed the smell for about 8 months. Always a big blast of it when I first turn on the blower for air or heat. My first thought was that the AC condensation water drain was plugged. But I checked that it it was dripping fine. Looked for a bad cabin air filter but have none. This weekend, I was taking off my driver side door panel to fix the arm rest, and OMG, the smell was in the door. Does not seem to make sense cause there are drain holes at the bottom of the door, but they must have something in the door that rotts when it gets wet. I am going to air out the door panel for a while then look close for what is causing the smell in the door. It would be great to have someone else check it out. Pulling off the door is easy after removing two screws and giving it a big pull at the bottom.
  • simmone31simmone31 Posts: 3
    Hi, I am from Malaysia and I am also facing the same problems as you guys/gals from across the globe. My 7 months old Toyota Innova (MPV) is producing excessive sulfur from the exhausts which is absorbed into the cabin. As such I have read many articles and found out that is is caused by the new catalytic converter (toyota replaced the cat converter with low nickel type). The smell will come 1) during stop and do 2) heavy acceleration.

There is nothing wrong with the air cond system; the excessive sulfur has forced its way into the air cond vent. There are 2 air cond systems in my car. The Service Centre concentrated so much on the front air cond vent that they have forgotten about the back air cond. All they are doing now is sealing the flaps (or any entries or gaps). Toyota is aware of their problem as it was posted in the TOYOTA TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MAY 24, 2004 (you can type and surf the title). Camry 02-04 Camry (2AZ-FE) faced the same problem.

The only thing I am afraid is that the catalytic converter will be clogged and I will face major engine problems. I heard misfire sounds (firecracker sound) from the exhaust the last few days and there were also excessive smell outside the car. I have turned off the rear air cond at the moment and there is no smell these 2 days but I am still monitoring the car.

I'll be sending my car back to the service centre on Monday to let them seal any gaps at the back and also to check the exhaust systems. Have called a few private car service firms to find out more. Most said that only 2 parts produce sulfur 1) Over charging battery 2) the exhaust/catalytic converter.

I hope I can share my solution from a cross the globe. At least the Americans can apply the "LEMON LAW" which is not applicable in Malaysia at the moment. Sealing gaps are temporary measures; sulfur dioxide can cause respiratory problem in the long term......BUT THE MAIN QUESTION IS " WILL THE NEW CAT CONVERTER DAMAGE MY ENGINE?"
    It is pretty persistent my dear; and the stench is not a mild one (but more like 10 people farted in your car) and I have wind down the window 2-3 times a day that would be how many times a year? multiply that for another 10 years. In the long term it will cause respiratory problems. It is really not fair to pay so much and face such a cumbersome problem from a new car. (by the way my MPV cost RM106,000.00 (USD33K).) :)
    Type in search and read (same problem on different models); but the problem is actually persisting till 2010....so is TOYOTA DOING ANYTHING?

Toyota Techincal Service bulletin Excessive sulfur dioxide odor

http://www.toyotapart.com/EXCESSIVE_SULFUR_DIOXIDE_ODOR_T-EG009-04.pdf

http://www.toyotapart.com/EXCESSIVE_SULFUR_DIOXIDE_ODOR_T-EG017-04.pdf

http://www.autosafety.org/Toyota%2003-04%20Corolla%20Catalyst.pdf

http://www.autosafety.org/Toyota%2003-04%204Runner%20Catalyst.pdf
  • I have a 2003 4Runner V8 Sport and am also having the issues with the exhaust coming into the truck. I spoke to the attorney General in Maryland who stated that they can file a complaint on my behalf to Toyota. You will have to send in any service records that you have that showed that you tried to have the problem fixed. They told me to go to there webpage and there should be a link that says How to File a complaint. Maybe if enough people complain about this issue, they could have a recall. Hope this helps.
  • I have a 2003 Toyota 4Runner which has had a rotten egg smell coming from the back since the day I bought it. I took it back and asked if there was a problem with the catalytic converter. They said no. It smells to this day. I've been waiting for a recall.
  • This is a problem with my 08 4runner v6 with approx 40k miles. It smells VERY powerful under acceleration. It is persistent and it is so strong it's concerning to my health, let alone the environment. This needs to be resolved by Toyota. I would not have bought this car if I knew it could emmit such an offensive oder almost all of the time. I bought a Toyota because I wanted a quality vehicle, this is not in any way a reasonable car. I can't imagine anyone ever buying this car from me if I were to sell it.
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 289
    I have a '08 T4R Limited V6 4WD with 38k miles and it does not have a sulfur smell. To date the vehicle has been flawless save for the silly gas pedal recall.