Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima: Stolen Headlights!!

Comments

• syms1syms1 Posts: 3
    After hearing horror stories from other 2002/2003 Maxima owners AND having my hood,grille,and front fender damaged AFTER I had DataDots installed on my 2003 SE...I went to my Nissan dealer for a possible trade. They are unsympathetic and not willing to come down substantially on a new model Maxima or Altima. The sales manager suggested I call NissanUSA in California and speak to a customer service rep. She was very nice and sympathetic but claims the headlight issue is not a nationwide problem. She offered me $200 towards a new Maxima...$200! This is an outrage. As soon as I get my 2003 back from the body shop I am heading right over to Toyota for an Avalon or a Solara. I owned 3 Nissans and they just lost a loyal customer. PS..I saw 9 other 02002/2003 Maximas on dealer's lot missing headlights with body damage yet Nissan continues to ignore the problem. I feel sorry for those stuck in long term leases.
  • tjohnstjohns Posts: 2
    Even if you replace your lights with non-xenon, they still will mess with it thinking there are xenons in there. Just get rid of the car or don't drive anywhere. LOL!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Syms, I am sympathetic. Look at this way, at least they could not steal your HIDs this time. Having said that, however, Nissan should have used the same installation (metal brackets around the housing) when it first designed the 02/03 Maximas, instead of the cheap plastic which can be readily ripped off by thugs. It goes to show that car makers can sometimes be penny wise but pound foolish, which in the long run, will drive their customers away.

If Datadots are more widely known to thieves (such as Nissan running public notices and ads), the number of potential thefts will likely decrease. Of course, nothing is theft proof, but Nissan should be doing something more, and adding datadots and metal brackets is a good start.

If you sell your Max now, you will lose substantial $$. If the thefts/damages to your car happen at night when you parked on the street, try renting a garage and hopefully, in the next 6 months, the HID crime wave will subside in light of the Datadots program. Replacing your HIDs with non-xenons is also a viable alternative.
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    I may be able to help. write to my e-mail address. the 2001 maxima lights are totally different looking than the 2002/2003. Thieves will be wasting their time for the "cheap"2001/2000 lights. I agree NIssan has left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel sorry for all the guys who OWN their cars.No body is going to buy them in the north east. Have to go cross country to sell these cars. Who in this area will buy these cars? Stupidos.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    tjohns said: Even if you replace your lights with non-xenon, they still will mess with it thinking there are xenons in there.

No. They look totally different. No thief will bother the 2000/2001 lights.
  • *** Nissan Maxima '02 / '03 headlight theft will spread all over the U.S. ***

Due to the defective design of these cars, their value will plummet over the next 12 months -- EVERYWHERE.

Nissan's "patch", DataDots and harness change, are not effective -- thieves continue to try, causing thousands of dollars of body damage.

If you own a 2002 or 2003 Nissan Maxima, you should expect to incur substantial, serious financial losses, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE.

*** Nissan has chosen to ignore this problem -- they think customers will "forgive and forget". ***

Please see my other statements (#77 and #88) for additional background.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    "Due to the defective design of these cars, their value will plummet over the next 12 months -- EVERYWHERE."

Is that a fact or just your "unbiased" opinion?
  • syms1syms1 Posts: 3
    JUST TRADED IN THE 2003 MAXIMA SE AFTER GETTING IT BACK FROM DEALER BODY SHOP. TOTAL REPAIR WAS $4100 WITHOUT THE THIEVES TAKING THE HEADLIGHTS. I HAD DATA DOTS AT THE TIME OF THE VANDALISM. NISSAN OFFERED ME $17,OOO TRADE IN VALUE TOWARD A NEW MAXIMA. MY 2003 MAXIMA WAS IN PERFECT CONDITION WITH 14K MILES. THE NEW CAR THAT I BOUGHT IN APRIL 2003 AND ANOTHER $12,000 WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A NEW 2004 MAXIMA SL. AND WHO IS TO SAY THEY WON'T GO AFTER THOSE XENONS? THE DEALER SAYS ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE NEW XENONS OUT BUT WHEN THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY. I BOUGHT A 2004 TOYOTA SOLARA SLE FULLY LOADED WITH A 3.3 6 CYLINDER LEXUS ENGINE FOR THE MAXIMA PLUS $7,000. SMOOTHER AND JUST AS POWERFUL AS MAXIMA AND NO XENONS. TOYOTA GAVE ME $18,800 ON THE TRADE. MAXIMA RESALE VALUES WILL PLUMMET BY AT LEAST 25% WHEN THE GENERAL PUBLIC LEARNS ABOUT THE HEADLIGHT MESS. TOYOTA WANTS THE BUSINESS AND UNLIKE NISSAN IS GOING AFTER IT. I GUESS NISSAN WILL RETURN TO THE UNPROFITABLE, LOW RATED CUSTOMER SERVICE COMPANY IT WAS JUST A FEW SHORT YEARS AGO. BYE-BYE MAXIMA! BYE-BYE NISSAN! MY INSURANCE AGENT SAYS COUNT ON YOUR MAXIMA RATES ALSO GOING THROUGH THE ROOF. THE INSURANCE SYMBOLS AFFECTING YOUR RATES ARE BEING RAISED ON MAXIMAS BY 2 POINTS! GET RID OF THEM NOW!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    While you're at it, get rid of the caps too. Way too hard to read.

Better luck with the Solara!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Here in south florida people are stealing the headlights off of Porsche for the HID bulbs. Thought it was kind of interesting that they didnt mention the Maxima at all.
  • I am looking to buy a 03 Maxima, but this discussion has me concerned. Does anyone know if the Infiniti I35 has the same problem as the Maxima with the headlights being stolen?
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Yes, there is something you can do. You can have stickers such as "This car does not have Xenon headlights anymore - they were stolen a year ago" made and stick them all over the car. This should turn away some would be thieves.
  • darbowdarbow Posts: 30
    Just bought a used 02 Max. I do have a garage and work in the country, hope no one steals my HID's!! THanks for this post, i lowered my comp.insurance deductible to $250 instead of $500 after seeing these problems.
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    everybody read post no. 111. does anybody know of a similar suit in new york state. how to become part of a class action?SHAME ON YOU NISSAN. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT. They could have put out non-xenon replacements. but never did. Letting customers pay for replacements, higher insurance costs and even charging for the "so-called" bracket fix......which still does damage to the car. SHAME ON YOU NISSAN..........Hope YOU EAT ALL THE RETURNED ---LEASE CARS. What fool would buy a 2002/2003 maxima??
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    How about the 48 states that aren't New York or New Jersey? Seriously, this isn't even an issue in the rest of the US.
  • peej22peej22 Posts: 5
    I too owned a 02 Maxima GLE. The HID headlights were stolen two times. The first occured while parked in front of my home, the second while in my drive way. The damage was $2100 and $4100 respectfully. I sold the car immediately after the second incident. I went with a Mitsubishi Endeavor 04. I got $17,500 on the trade-in, no money down and 0% financing. I now have peace of mind concerning my vehicle. I refused to purchase a car with HID lights, just dont want to deal with the headache. If anyone know about the class action suit. Please e-mail me at peej22@yahoo.com
  • toucanettoucanet Posts: 9
    Has anyone had their xenon headlights stolen on their 2004 Maxima? Although I've been seeing 2002 & 2003 Maximas with this problem, I'm just curious if it has started on 2004 Maximas.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I just ran across this discussion...a couple weeks ago I saw a 2002-03 Maxima driving through Morris Plains, NJ with the headlights missing! I thought this a bit of an oddity until I saw the news reports about the NJ lawsuit. Personally I hate those Xenon lights...I hope Nissan has to rip them all out and replace them with normal halogens. But anyway, just thought I would add another data point.

-Andrew L
  • tsx4metsx4me Posts: 10
    Finally somewhere to vent. It never occurred to me to seek advice from this forum until recently. My mother WAS the proud owner of a 2001 MAXIMA, but not anymore. If you have one get rid of it before it's re-sale or trade-in value disappears! My mom had hers headlights stolen twice!! There are no hood locks, special kits (only available upstate), or alarms to deter the thieves. And if you think putting on the regular white lights to replace your XENON's guess what? The will still take them thinking they are the blue ones. Nissan could not do anything for us, and her 2001 with only 13K was worth 16K at trade in!!!!! We were almost forced to get out of it before we were completely over under. Solution: trade in for 04 MAXIMA and put gap insurance on car. NISSAN reports that the corrected the problem, we'll all soon see. My suggestion to car manufacturers... MAKE ALL HEADLIGHT THE SAME and no on will want them because they already have them duh!!! Nissan could learn a few things from Acura or Lexus.

P.S. takes about 45 secs. to take those lights according to the repair shop.

Good Luck, may all XENON's stay protected

K.Coss

2004 TSX black/ebony
    2004 TL anthracite/ camel
    BRETFRAZ, please do not defend NISSAN, at least on this board. This is a design flaw. Had they made the headlight more difficult to steal as opposed to the four (4) quatro PLASTICS screws that hold them in. Also has the incorporated XENON into all their models, no one would want them. They only fit on other MAXIMA's without XENON's.
        The CAMRY is not flawed by the way just an overall good car, that when sold in parts is very expensive(more than the Max.) The NISSAN 2001-2002 MAXIMA, yes that year design is flawed, Consider that for the new generation MAXIMA white (regular) lights are the option and XENON are standard, I guess this may fix this problem. My heart goes out to all XENON owners

K. Coss
    2004 TSX black/ ebony
    2004 TL anthricte/ camel
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,009
    to defend Nissan as YOU have to bash it. Unfortunately for you, I agree with Bret. I just don't see it as a flaw. Nissan made it easy for the DIY's to change/replace the light. How were they to know that lowlifes would steal the lights? As info, how would you like it if the lights were made in such a manner to require replacement by only the dealer? Imagine how you'd feel paying the mega dollar charge from the dealer for the labor on top of the lights!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I just don't see it as a flaw.

Maybe not a flaw but it certainly doesn't qualify as brilliant (no pun intended) engineering! :-)

And, yes, Bret and everyone else are free to offer their opinions. I think tsx4me was just being dramatic!

tidester, host
    sorry Bretffraz, if I came accross a bit strong.....I just feel this could have been anticipated with proper research.

Peace Out!

Kelsey
    They pop the door handle off, disconnect and connect certain wires that lower the two front windows, (this bypasses the factory alarm they then proceed to pop the hood unscrew the healdights( 4 screws), and cut the cable. Smart thinking by NISSAN? u decide....

Kelsey
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,009
    signed Kelsey, but your profile shows Kelset. Which is correct?
    The correct spelling is Kelsey....
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    tsx4me - FYI the 2001 Maximas do not have the Xenon headlights. You don't know what you are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.