Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima: Stolen Headlights!!

Comments

• pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    can be debated as good/bad. The Mazda RX-8 has HID low beams. To remove, first remove front of car ;-). Really. Those owners pray they don't get broken they are so hard to get off. Maybe somewhere in between would be perfect.
  • tsx4metsx4me Posts: 10
    YO! square chill...I stand corrected it was a 2002 MAXIMA

Kelsey
  • bad_nissanbad_nissan Posts: 1
    Hey all...first and foremost...NISSAN SUUUUUCK!! I've had a 97 Maxima and loved it, so when I sold it, without question, I went back to Nissan and got this cursed 2003 SE Maxima. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE!! This is a list of all the things that's happened so far...tire blow up-$350, windshield cracked-$300, stolen headlight-$3,100, dead battery-$50, stolen headlights again-$3,000. I am utterly disappointed with Nissan!! I hate this car!!! And I will never ever buy another Nissan.
    Thank you for letting me vent ;)
  • georged98georged98 Posts: 34
    It doesn't sound like it's Nissan's problem that you had a blown tire, someone else stole your headlights or something cracked your windshield. Why blame Nissan for your misfortune. This could happen to any car, not because it's just a Nissan.
  • skyrockerskyrocker Posts: 1
    Do what i did, Buy aftermarket headlights or you can buy 01 headlights, aftermarket projection headlights can be bought around $250 off ebay, installation is a bit trickly, if you understand the wiring or can get a mechanic , non dealer to install them that would be great. i did it myself, i cut the harness, rewired the lights directly. since the projection headlights are fancy i am sure they are at risk of theft, unlike hid they do not cost %1500 replace, bulbs are standard H3/H1 which are $20.00 bucks you can find anywhere with highwattage bulbs they are just as good, and DOT approved. or you can just install 01 headlights, never the less, i would like to reinstall HID back in the car, once the theft has gone down... another option if nissan considered would be to install the ballasts outside the headlight maybe back of the car.
    Do not panic, DEALERS are just looking to rip you off , screw stealerships, find a average mech and let him rewire your lights.
  • rhard49rhard49 Posts: 226
    I'm looking at buying a 2004SL are the stolen lights and issue on 2004's?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Is it possible to etch or engrave the VIN on the headlights? Seems like a possible deterrent. I know that my insurance company offers VIN etching on the vehicle glass at no charge as a theft deterrent.
  • ssaundersssaunders Posts: 4
    What city do you live in? I live in Philly and I am seriously thinking about buy one but I go to NY alot.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,788
    In his column in this month's Car & Driver, Patrick Bedard states that the late model Altima's have been a frequent target for thiefs of Xenon headlights. I know that this has been a big problem for the Max, but I didn't even think that the Alt had xenons as an option. At least the lights in my 03 2.5S don't look blue.

Were xenons offered on the Alt for 02 through 05? Does mine possibly have them even though the lights appear white? Has anyone had theirs stolen?
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    Car and Driver buries the Maximas with HID lights."How soon should a carmaker tell the world not to buy its cars?".
    Now the entire country will not take this car. Sorry everybody........unless Nissan put out non-xenon replacements.................this is possible since many aftermarket mechanics are putting in 2001 lights.sorry guys
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    "Now the entire country will not take this car."

I wish you would kindly refrain from gross generalizations such as this. I can tell you (at least in my part of the country)that the HID theft is not problematic as has been documented on the east coast.
  • kylekyle Posts: 1
    im thinking of buying a maxima in NYC , if i buy a 2001 or 2000 . will i still get lights stolen ? or the lights only get taken off the 02 and 03 ?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    The 2000 and 2001 didn't have the HID headlights so they're probably less likely to get stolen than the 2002-2003 models but if your in NYC..................?
  • hapgoodhapgood Posts: 2
    I too had my headlights stolen from my 2003 I35 in New Jersey.
    I was told by Infiniti's Consumer Affairs department that it has become something that they are tracking statistics on as it has become a concern in the Northeast.
    My local dealer and Infiniti USA told me there is no "fix" kit as Nissan offered to the Maxima owners. The local dealer has had customers whose lights have been stolen twice and even three times.
    As they knew there was a problem on the earlier Maximas, you'd think they would engineer a fix for the Infiniti. I would not have leased this car had I known it was a prime target for theft.
    The New Jersey Attorney General's Office sued Nissan over the 2002-2003 Maximas. Perhaps they will also do something about the Infinitis.
  • I am about to replace my '03 headlights w/ '01 headlights, but I've been told that doing this can mess up the computer system in your car. Is this really true? Also, will my car depreciate in value if I get this done? Have you had any problems since your installation of the '01 headlights?
  • caerca1caerca1 Posts: 1
    Your computer will be fine, but the thieves will steal the lights thinking there are Xenon. The 01 lights look different, but in the middle of the night they cannot tell the difference.
    don't worry...but get it done....experienced mechanic did mind....gave me piece of mind....yes thieves know the differ ence between lights....they want the igniter found on the xenons...not going to waste effort for regular bulbs...thi s forum knows mechanics to help you..they helped me....i even heard dealers like KIngs/ BAY RIDGE WILL do the job for customers now....how about that....afterwards get the mechanic to put them back in....no big jopb....but meanwhile you can live with this Nissan Mistake.................
  • How about asking the Nissan dealer about TSB#NTB02-117?? There's supposedly an HID theft deterrant kit (Part#65601-6Y300) that can be installed. Check out this link: http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-117.pdf

Not sure if this had been mentioned or not before.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,990
    Did the TSB fix the problem or are people still losing their headlamps to thieves?

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Anyone in NJ know whether the AG's suit against Nissan is still moving forward in the courts?

Steve, Host

was told they are still going after them....now doing hood damage to get them out...result less costly repairs...but still a problem as theyya are in demand...best policy from a Nissan mechanic switch them with 2000/ lites.....also hear nobody is buying them at lease end.....stacking up on dealer lots....WHAT A LEMON.
  • bonieg84bonieg84 Posts: 1
    i got a few questions. I have a 2000 Maxima SE and i want to get angel eye headlights for it. My friend told me that angel eyes are only for BMW but i like the look and i wanted to know what other people thought. I also was wondering if there is a way to etch vin numbers into headlights, i read a little bit of forum and i just wanted to clarify that. thanks for help
  • Justice dept is ordering all nissan dealers to supply a list of HID lights sold since the cars inception, they are going full force at them.. and the cars are in no way a lemon, they are one the most reliable cars on the market, EVERY car has problems, and nissan is one company that when notified of a continuing problem stands up and takes action. as long as you have the bracket that bolts to the frame they are VERY difficult to steal, but if someone tries they will do serious damage!! How can a company be held responsible for a bunch of crooks actions....
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Do you have a source and a link to that information? I'm sure others would be interested.

Thanks!

tidester, host
  • lydettelydette Posts: 1
    My headlights was just stolen last Tuesday!!.I have a 2002 Maxima. I can not believe that Nissan doesn't design the non-xenon lights. Now I'm stuck buying the headlights with HID and having to risk getting it stolen again; which I know it will because whomever stole it knows where i live and will come back for it again! My car is damaged by the thieves who took it.. It seems to me like it only took them 5 minutes to take both headlights out and the manufactured alarm didn't even go off!!!

I am furious. I've read about their safeguard brackets but that doesn't seem to work.

I don't know what to do.. I just bought this car in January used.
    i told you so.................dump the maxima it is not worth it...stay away from the 2002/2003...unless you live in the desert........ALL YOU NISSAN LOVERS....WHY DON'T THEY MANUFACTURE NON- XENON REPLACEMENTS..................................MONEY ..THAT IS WHY........................good luck lydette : :
  • ebialoebialo Posts: 1
    Hi
    Have you come up with any solutions?
  • Recently purchased a 2003 Maxima. Love the car! Live in an area where theft of lights has occurred (Central NJ). Know several people that have had lights stolen. Still purchased the car.

Found out through a technician at my dealer that the thiefs aren't interested in the lights but the "ballast" that turns them on and off.

Nissan has since improved on its first attempt to rectify the problem. It takes about three hours to have done, but it gives me the piece of mind I needed. The "ballast" is removed from the light and mounted into the front bumper. They also protect your lights with a relatively new type of identification called DataDots in case theft occurs and the lights are recovered. (Datadotusa.com) To act as a slight deterrent, stickers are placed on the bulb lens' and front windows. I had it done yesterday.

When it's possible, I try to park in heavily trafficked aisles and back my car in a parking spot to deter theft. Don't think anyone will try to steal the lights if there are many witnesses. Then again in today's world, everyone's eyes are closed!

Regardless of the situation, it's tough to beat the quality of the Maxima when compared against similar vehicles in its class. Bought mine with 18K miles and the saying is true, the Maxima is a 4DSC!!! Good luck to all and hopefully this headlight theft is just a current fad. Anything worth stealing on the new Mustang? LOL
  • marteeenezmarteeenez Posts: 2
    well now u can add me to the victims list. I am seeking anyones help. I would like to know the prices on the HID head light system with the special starter and the cost of the 2001 version with the wiring and what not. please please please help me out. i searched ebay and i found head lights for 300s but i doubt its the same. thank you

marteeenez
    Bummer, Marteeenez. Where are you (or where was the car parked) when the headlights were ripped off?

Steve, Host

This discussion has been closed.