Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for June: New Records for Best Range and MPG - 2015 Hyundai Sonata

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Hyundai
imageFuel Economy Update for June: New Records for Best Range and MPG - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

We hit a new mpg record in our long-term 2015 Hyundai Sonata in June. We also improved our lifetime average.

Read the full story here

Comments

• clownstrikeclownstrike Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2015
    This seems very reasonable when compared to the current Volvo S60 tester. Both cars have the same 28mpg EPA rating. The Hyundai seems to be running about 2mpg higher in both lifetime avg and best fill mpg.

I'm not comparing the cars, mind you! Obviously the Sonata and S60 are night and day. You could buy a pair of Sonati for the price of the S60. I just happened to notice that they have the same EPA rating, so thought it was a good comparison between EPA rating and real world mpg. With 300hp on tap, I suspect that editors drive the S60 a bit differently :) than the Sonata. One might say that ONLY a 2mpg difference is commendable ...
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    It seems to me that most of the non-turbo vehicles (and all the turbo VW's) have equaled or exceeded their highway ratings at some point, 32mpg is still about 8% less than the rated 35. Given Hyndai's previous issue with their cars not achieving the EPA ratings I would think they would have been reasonably conservative in their testing for this version.
  • jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    My dad has a 2014 Accord EX 4 banger and routinely gets 38mpg on the highway and low 30s combined. When they came to visit he averaged 41mpg over a 15 hour drive. Pretty impressive if you ask me (the mpg not the car. I find it a bit boring and underwhelming much like this Sonata).