Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Ford Escape Prices Paid and Buying Experience

scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
edited May 2014 in Ford
There seems to be a "How much did you pay?" topic for every other car here at Edmunds, but I did not see one for the very popular Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute, so I thought I'd start one. I'm shopping for a mini SUV so I'd be very interested to know what kind of deals others got on these twins. Thanks!

Comments

• twolf3232twolf3232 Member Posts: 4
    Hi there,

Don't know if this will help you, but I just bought a new silver Escape XLT Base on Friday (I think it's a Popular 2 trim in the States). The only option I had was the rear cargo cover, and the dealer threw it in for free.

I had a great buying experience. Made my offer in e-mail and was accepted with little hassle (though that does worry me just a little bit ;).

I paid 3% over invoice, plus 1.9% financing for 60 months, which I felt would be fair. I'm eligible for X-Plan, but didn't mention this at all during negotiations, since I felt that I would be able to negotiate a price better than X. Looks like I was right! :)
  • chimpsnestchimpsnest Member Posts: 27
    I just picked up an '03 Tribute, Black, ES, w/tow, luxury, alarm, rear bumper step plate, cargo tray and cold package. MSRP $27,134. Got them down to $23,300, then my trade on top of that $4100 - so down to $19,200. Of course I got exactly what I owe for the trade (seriously all it's really worth, 99 Chevy w/81K on it) so I paid $23,300 for the truck -- that's including the 2500 cash back and 1334 off the MSRP (should have been more like 1900 off MSRP, they screwed me there and I just figured it out) -argh! Gave 'em 6K, plus sales tax and bought the 5/100 warranty for about 1300 bucks. Financing was 5.9% for 5 years.
    Not too shabby - what do you guys/gals think? What have you paid?
  • fpdafishfpdafish Member Posts: 20
    At least I thought I did until I read "chimpsnest"'s post ($23,300). After alot of research on the mini-suv subject, I finally decided the Tribute was the best deal out there. I inked a deal to buy a brand new '03 redfire ES with luxury pkg, cold pkg, cargo net, all weather floor mats, perimeter alarm system, rear bumper step plate, side step tubes, and wheel locks. I went in ready to fight, but the dealer said, "yeah, I'll give it to you for invoice. As long as I can find one." So, I got it for 25,400 and got 0% financing for 5 years. He located one, but I'm waiting to see if it's still available. This is the first new car I ever negotiated to buy, after leasing my last five, so please, someone tell me I got a good deal. The previous Mazda dealership I went to tried to sell me an '03 demo, similarly equipped with 3000 miles for 25 (which I laughed at) so I think I got a good deal.
    That 23,300 was including the 2500 rebate, my financing is at 5.9%, so it all equals out in the end :-)
  • dg13dg13 Member Posts: 3
    I noticed that my inside front door handles unlock the front doors, without having to first turn the lock button to "unlock." My last model car was a 2000. Is this something new? Thanks!
  • painfullessonspainfullessons Member Posts: 8
    I just picked up a 03 XLT with with running boards and cargo cover for $22,900 - under invoice, and a very pleasant buying experience :-D anyone in the NJ/NY area should definately give Douglas Ford in summit NJ a look if they are looking for a ford - super easy, very friendly, no b.s.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    through the internet.. I own a 2001 Escape XLT 4x4 V6. Paid 21,800, after a $400 check from Ford to buy a new vehicle. I was also able to negotiate .9% financing for 3 years. I feel I did really well. I bought just after 9/11 and noone was buying anything, they wanted a sale bad...
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I got my 2001 Ford Escape XLT with everything except the running tubes and leather interior. I ended up trading a 1998 Dodge Stratus Turbo and a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE, because of the total I got trade-in on the 2 cars I only had to pay $5000 for the Escape. I also had the Dealer throw in different rubber on the escape because I don't trust or like Firestone or Continental.

Odie
    The dealer had to try to make a swap with another dealer for the '03 Tribute in my previous post (luxury and cold pkgs, etc for invoice ($25,400)) since he didn't have it in stock, but he wasn't able to. He says he was able to get an '03 w/ luxury and tow pkgs, perimeter alarm, rear step plate, and floor mats for $25k (invoice). Apparently, finding an '03 4WD ES with the luxury pkg is difficult in the north east at this time. Another option is to forgo the luxury pkg for the DVD package (about the same price, and can't have both (can't have moon roof and DVD), so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing a toy). Another dealer I just happened to stop off at (Mazda Auto Network in Jamaica, NY) said they could get me this one for $600 under invoice. Sounds like a good deal, but I felt they were pressuring me too much. So I'll stick with the luxury & tow pkg Tribute from Great Neck Mazda (Great Neck, NY) if they do in fact have it. If they don't, $600 under invoice for choice #2 sounds pretty good as well. I still don't understand how these dealers can afford to sell something AT invoice, let alone UNDER it. They must be receiving cash from the manufacturer somewhere. End of year clearance or not, I don't get it.
  • neoknneokn Member Posts: 3
    Will pick up my 2003 limit 2wd this weekend. $24000 including TTL and moonroof.
  • nmhartnmhart Member Posts: 2
    purchased a 03 LX c lux and cold pk, ABS, side air bags side step and wheel locks yesterday for $23,078 (tax and tital encluded) way below invoice. I used Elliston's What car dealers won't tell you.

I dealt with 2 dealers and both tried ploys out lined in book. 1st dealer did not have car I wanted but tried to get it from another dealer but unfortunly just as they were talking to the other dealer they were selling car YEH. So I went home a called the other dealer and guess what the car had not been sold. suprise suprise. Using the formula out lined in the book I made an offer for the true invoice and they accepted itright off and agreed to deliver it we live 80 miles away. 1 hour latter I get a call saying the manager was confused and accepted a deal on the wrong car and tried to up the price $800. I very politely said no deal and they had 15 min to reconsider or I was calling the Ford dealer. It took them 2 min to call back and accept the orignal offer. even though the saleperson said she would loose her job. Oh well. Buy the Book read it and use the info it will be the best $13.95 you spend on your new car
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or just peruse Edmunds for free :-)

If you missed it, Confessions of a Car Salesman is a great place to start your education.

Steve, Host
  • timb11768timb11768 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a ES-V6 Calypso Blue Mazda Tribute.

I noticed the back of the SUV has Mazda Tribute but does not have ES-V6 listed anywhere like the other ones I am seeing on the road.

Does anyone know why? The dealer said the newer ones coming out don't state anything excpet the manufacturer and the name of the vehicle.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    This was a running change during the '03 model year. Saves a few dollars, I guess.

Norm
  • 10seboy10seboy Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a '03 Tribute LX with Luxury Package, perimeter alarm, rear bumper step plate, cargo tray and cargo net. Sticker was $23,759. I paid $4,500 cash (Out-the-Door) + my 2002 Honda Accord LX with 14K miles. By my calcs I paid $532 UNDER invoice and got $15,200 in real dollars for my car. I was trying to sell it myself for $16,200, so the $15,200 trade value saved me $962 in sales tax and effectively was worth $16,162. Did I get a good deal after all?
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    and woould appreciate your comments. After dealer discount and $2,500 rebate, I am looking at $20,402 for a truck that stickers for $23,919.

My problem is trying to get a reasonable trade in allowance for a 2002 Buick Regal LS. A jeep dealer offered $12,800 towards a 2003 Liberty, which I could buy for invioice cost of $21,600 and get a $1,000 rebate to boot.

My first pass at the Mazda dealer saw a passive salesman offer 10k-11k for my car. It seemed like it was an effort for him to even come up with that lame number. I am thinking of calling up the sales manager there and trying to deal with him/her directly. Thanks in advance for help.
    Round 3:
         Great Neck Mazda told me they found an '03 ES 4d/4wd in Merlot Pearl with lux & tow pkgs. A former employee misfiled papers and it was in their offsite secondary lot for months without them even knowing it. I believe them because I was given the original fax from the dealership they received it from and the fax transmission date was from back in May. Anyway, it has rear bumper step plate, perimeter alarm, and cargo tray. I got it for $24,978 (invoice), put $500 down (deposit), and financed the rest, including $110 DMV fees, taxes (8.75% on LI, NY), at 0% for 5 years for a grand total of $27,274. I put the taxes and DMV fees into the loan since I'm using their money for 5 years with NO INTEREST!
         Great Neck Mazda was a decent dealership to deal with as far as the sale. Salesman (Mark) seemed like a decent guy and didn't seem to be trying to pull any fast ones. Finance Manager was a little annoying, as she had a hard time taking "no" for an answer as far as all the dealership "extras" (extended warranty, etc....) but I was able to walk away unscathed. Now I'll just have to see how good their service department is. Hopefully that won't be until the first "free for the lifetime of the vehicle" oil change.
    No names of individuals please. Congrats on the new ride. Makes you wonder what other cars they have sitting in the secondary lot that they forgot about!

Steve, Host
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    However, I could not get the dealer to give me a reasonable trade-in allowance for my car. I wound up buying a 2003 Jeep Liberty. Hard to believe that there could be a $3,700 difference between to dealers. Oh well, Mazda's loss is Jeep's gain.

Good luck to all posters here.
  • happymisterhappymister Member Posts: 16
    went to the dealership yesterday just before closing.. and picked up the ES-V6 AWD tribute with rear bumper plate, cargo-tray and all waeather mats for $21350. bought it from 128 Mazda in Wakefield, MA. Had been to a couple of other dealerships.. pricing was similar.. but most were screwing me in my trade -in - 97 Eclipse GSX AWD with 81k miles.
    most dealers were giving me from $3k to $5k for it.. stating edmunds Tradein Values are completely out-of-whack for this economy. 128 Mazda gave me $5817 for it.. so i closed to the deal. The edmunds value is $7500. and it needs a bit of work with the steering.. haven't priced it out.. so this seemed the best i can get.

and oh BTW, i got the 7yr/100k extended warranty thru the dealership.. forget the details..it was some company they use..i thought dealerships only give Mazda's own extended warranty.. but anyways..i paid $794 for it and have 60 days to review teh details and cancel if i change my mind. any advice/recommendadations on it ?
  • zoom03zoom03 Member Posts: 8
    Ordered a 2003 Mystic Black ES-V6 AWD/ Luxury & Tow Package Tribute for $21500 (GA).
    Invoice was $24,500

Rear Bumper Step Plate was also there.

Luxury Package -
    Power Sliding Glass Moonroof, Sunshade, Premium Audio Package, AM/FM Radio With 190 Watts, 7 Speakers Total; Cassette Player; In Dash 6-Disc CD Changer, 90-Watt Subwoofer, Digital Clock.

Just waiting to ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM !!!
  • bigred74bigred74 Member Posts: 4
    How good a deal is this?

03 Tribute w/ rear spoiler, per. alarm & rear bumb. step plate for 19,416 w/ tax, title dealer fee.

List was 25,624.
    Traded in a '97 Cheev Cav LS, power everything 45k mi. They gave me 3,500, w/o looking at it, plus the 2,500 rebate, and my bro. works at the dealer, so he got me another 1,627 off.

Thanks.
  • tamiyaracertamiyaracer Member Posts: 9
    I am interested in getting an '03 ES Tribute and live in the Seattle area. Can anyone recommend a dealership in the Everett-Seattle-Tacoma corridor?
  • newzoomernewzoomer Member Posts: 1
    9/10/03 we bought a Tribute with:

Leather Seats, side air bags, Premium Audio Package, AM/FM Radio With 190 Watts, 7 Speakers Total; Cassette Player; In Dash 6-Disc CD Changer,Digital Clock.
    Rear Bumper Step Plate, Tow package.
    Tint windows, Paint protection
    MSRP $25,899(Arizona)
    My husband bought the Extended Svc Agreement for $1,995.00 I see someone else paid $794. We will be cancelling that.
  • zoom03zoom03 Member Posts: 8
    newzoomer,

Did you get Power Sliding Glass Moonroof on your Trib ???

Thanks
    I'm curious if that 21350 includes the trade or if they sold you the Trib for that then subtracted your trade $.

I also bought my vehicle there - was an interesting experience to say the least, glad I had a bulldog for a friend w/me to make sure I didn't get screwed on my trade.

Thanks,
    Chimpy
    BTW, I got an '03 Trib ES w/the lux and tow pkg plus the rear cargo mat thing - I think I paid like 1300 for the ext. warranty though, hmmm.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I'm amazed to hear about all these 2003's....we have been out of 2003's Tributes for more than 45 days. We have had 2004 for that entire time....

also, with the slightly redesigned 2004's coming out in January I can't imagine why a dealer has 2003's in stock.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Did the dealership pay off your loan? If so, then the $3,300 "charge" is correct. Otherwise, you paid twice!

tidester, host
  • happymisterhappymister Member Posts: 16
    It is definitely interesting to see the Pricing sheet of the dealer.. They never mention the S-Plan anywhere. They work out of the MSRP.. and gave me enough discounts to match the price on the S-plan.probably for tax purposes.

Basically the car's S-plan was $21350 (including the$2500 rebate). ince we negotiated $6k for my eclipse. I paid $15350+taxes+transfer of egistration for a total of $17,xxx (not sure exactly how much).

I am pretty sure they overcharged me on the transfer of registration nd fees. because according to MA RMV, it costs only some $30 to transfer.. probably even less like $16. but these guys charged me $125.. probably for convinience.

I didn't know that i had 7 days for registration...
    and that i could've walked off from the dealership and done the registration myself.

The dealership was 30 miles away from my home... I think it was more rouble to go back to the dealership to pick up my new registration than to the RMV.. and i had to pay extra for that "convinience" ;-) ;-)

anyways.. a $100-$200 more.. on a $21k car.. i didn't think too much of it at that time. ;-) and i guess they also count on it.
    I presume they are computerized..and don't even send somebody to the dealership anymore.. so no extra labor involved. like in the old days.. when someone used to go from the dealership to the RMV every morn to finish the registrations of the cars sold the previous day.
  • wenreder1wenreder1 Member Posts: 26
    between the FORD Escape and the MAZDA Tribute ??
    Other than different Dealers and vehicle name plates, does one have a better color selection, better tires, different option packages ?? I have already reasearched Mazda and visited two Mazda Dealers, as well as test driving the Tribute, but never went to see the Ford. I know this..... back in 2001 when I was deciding between a Mazda Pick-Up or Ford Ranger (also Sister vehicles) the Mazda actually had better seats and a better warranty, no kidding !! I ended up buying a big, old (used) Oldsmobile station wagon instead :-( ..... a big mistake !!
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    It is my understanding that the Tribute has a slightly stiffer suspension for that 'sportier' feel. But other than that, it's pretty much what you have mentioned. Colors, and slightly different shape on some body panesl. The core of the vehicle (frame, engine, tranny, brakes) are identical. If you can't find the exact Mazda you like, take a look at the Escape. Honda and Hyundai also have mini-SUV's that compare to the Tribute/Escape well too.
  • rpl13026rpl13026 Member Posts: 8
    $23,915 - 2,500 rebate = $21,415 Luxury Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Tow Pkg, Wheel locks, Auto dimming mirror/compass & Temp, ABS Brakes, Side Air bags & 6-way PWR driver seat.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    Anybody bought the 04 tribute recently? Any information regarding the to-be-refreshed version? I see at caranddriver a 2004.5 refreshing, but not much detail.
  • atrickatrick Member Posts: 3
    Looking for an '04 LS w/4WD, ABS, Tow Pkg. in Pebble Ash. I can only pay invoice or maybe a little more. TMV is $21,590 and invoice is $20,845. But dealers around here are asking thousands more. Is the demand for Tributes really that great that they can afford to do that right now? What should I do to get my price? I'm willing to travel out of this area (St. Louis, MO) for a better deal. Can anyone recommend a better area?

I also have a '95 Ford Van (Club Wagon Chateau) in excellent condition - 100K mi. Need to get about $5K to make the deal work, but does a trade complicate the deal too much?

Appreciate any comments! We're ready to buy as soon as I can find a dealer more reasonable than the ones I've talked to around here.
    Conversion vans are hard to value. You may get some numbers over in Real-World Trade-In Values.

You almost always get more for your trade when you can sell it yourself.

Steve, Host
    The slightly re-freshed 2005 Tribute will be out in December or January.
  • nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    Is this a record for manufacturers?
  • desertmandesertman Member Posts: 30
    Cars have to come out no earlier than January of the prior year to be called any given model year. So a 2005 model could come out in January of 2004, but no earlier. Ford released the then-new F-150 in January of 1996 as a 1997 model, for example.

If the new Tribute comes out in December, they'll have to call it a 2004.5 or some such.
    is what I read from caranddriver.com.

Saw a news release on wardsauto yesterday about 05'escape. Have some nice features. Wonder what improvement Tribute will have.

Wish list:

(1) floor shifter

(2) less wind noise

(3) safety canopy/curtain airbag
    The Tribute will be a 2005 model.

I don't know about the wind noise, since I have not driven the 2005 (due out in Ded 03 or Jan 04)...but I can confirm you got the floor shifter and the side air curtains for rollover.

Here are some of the standard feature changes...

4 cyl will be the 2.3l, new front and rear fascia design, new front grill bar design, new front grill bar design, new front grill bar design, new front grill bar design, new side moldings, new headlights, new 16 alloy design, console floor shifter, new modified suspension, std rear disc brakes, std ABS with ebd, std brake assist, new advanced airbags, new seat recliner latch for safety, rear center 3 point safety belt, new HVAC controls, new smart locking system, sirius ready head unit on radio....

There will be an 'i' version (4 cyl) and an S version which will be a 6 cyl...three option packages 1,2,3.....I havent sorted out the option packages yet....I post that info soon
    Please post the info when you got it.

Glad to see many braking related new features. Was somewhat disappointed by the rear drum brake in current model though I haven't encountered any braking problem when I drove an 03 ES V6 for one week as rental.
  • monicahuckmonicahuck Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 Mazda Tribute DX for $15,900.00. Granted this is the base model, but it still came with power windows, door locks, mirrors, etc. Was replacing a 1995 Ford Explorer my husband drives. Needed more room (i.e., kids) and needed something cheap. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. I know its not the "tripped" out version like the LX or ES, but for our family's needs it was a good vehicle at a decent price.
    Mazda just announced 0% for 60 months on 2004 Tributes in the Northeast. Check your local dealers for other regions.
  • nafadnohnafadnoh Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where I can go to get the best deal on a 03/04 Trib LX 4x2. I have looked at dealers in STL but they don't seem to want to negotiate even when they have 140 Tributes on the lot. Interesting? Anyway, I'm willing to travel to get the best price.
  • marekpmarekp Member Posts: 3
    Hi:

I am to purchase a new, standard 2004 XLT 4WD soon. The internet sales person estimated my costs today as follows:

car price - 23,243
    1% profit - 232
    tax - 1,936
    SUM: 25,442
    -Rebate - 2,000
    ------------------
    To pay: 23,442

2-year registration/plates (~$70) and some other $30 DMV fee go extra on top of this.

The APR should be ca. 4.9%, though I am to check with my bank and car insurer tomorrow as well.

Is this a reasonable deal for upstate New York???
    This is my first new car - please ADVISE... (I only have 2 days left if I want to take advantage of this 'opportunity' - Ford may easily extend it, or have another one)

Thank you,
    Marek
  • clrlmiller1clrlmiller1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife & I just bought a 2004 Tribute from Schaefer & Strohminger in Towson, MD. We were treated very professionally and got a super deal on an LX-V6 with the Sunroof and 6-CD option. $100 over invoice, -$2500 Cash back and a very good trade on our '94 Camry even with 169k miles. I would suggest any parents with younger children get the step bars since the sides are fairly high (especially in the rear).

My wife drives a 2000 Explorer XLT and we wanted something like it but with better gas mileage and a lot lower cost. We looked at several other makes & models (Chev Tracker/Suzuki XL-7, the XTerra, the CR-V, the Forrester, the Saturn VUE) For the money, the Escape/Mazda seemed to offer the best mix of a peppy V6, True 4X4 instead of AWD, good cabin space and a nice interior layout. The Forrester was a close second with great cabin space/layout and had better MPG thanks to the HO 2.5L 4-cyl., but the Auto Trans felt a little too jerky.

We finally chose the Mazda over the Ford for simply the Warranty 4yrs/50k miles vs. 3yrs/36k miles.
  • rickinboulderrickinboulder Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. Here's the problem. I'm looking at a 2003 Escape Limited with 5600 miles. Seems like a great deal at 20,800 when comparable 2004s new are MSRP around 29k with average retail around 27k. The Kelly Blue Book trade-in on this rig is about $22k, so I thought !fantastic! ... until looking here at Edmunds and getting a used RETAIL quote of about 22k. I've also seen 2003 XLT's used with mileage in the 15k to 20k range for asking prices around $22.

The question - is Edmunds wrong about this car? An '03 with 5600 miles - should it have a trade or a retail value around $22k?

Great story behind it that was validated by internet search - a couple, competing in an event sponsored by Ford both won Escape Limiteds...and then found out the tax burden that left them with, so turned one back in. So, not a buyback, not a lemon...

Any opinions are greatly appreciated..
  • rickinboulderrickinboulder Member Posts: 2
    Steve - thanks for the link. But, it doesn't really answer my question. Supposedly Edmunds quotes are more accurate...is *this* one right?

The majority of the 2003 Escapes that I see listed through Edmunds within 400 miles (all are XLT, not Limited) have between 18k and 40k miles, averaging about $21k. So, I question that a Limited with extremly low miles would have an Edmunds retail value the same as an XLT with many times more miles...

So, setting aside the explanation of why Edmunds values are "better" than Kelley, can people give me some feedback on the perceived value of the deal that I'm looking at closing today (Jan 15th, 2004)?

I know that given the numbers I've seen here, the deal doesn't look as good as it used to. However, there are very few Limiteds sold slightly used as most are rental/program/lease XLT's. As such, taking a value for the XLT and simply bumping it up by an adjustment factor for Limited trim and for low miles seems a little out of line.

As before, opinions ARE appreciated...

Thanks
    Try asking Terry or any other dealers who hang out in Real-World Trade-In Values.

Steve