Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• P.S. - I live in Northern NJ (Bergen County)
  • NO WAY should you get an Escape over the CRV or RAV 4. You will get $1000 on trade in when you want to sell it, and the 0% APR cannot make up for that. The resale is lowsy. The CRV and RAV4 hold value much better, not to mention reliability and repair expense. Hondas and Toyotas are kicking the American car market for a reason. I am as American as apple pie, and thats why I want to make smart decisions. I would not drive this Escape if it was not free. I have 4900 miles on it in about a month, and it is already in the shop for a tranny slip. It slips between 5th and 6th gear, and in reverse. If you come to a stop, then try to back up, it grinds, slips and jumps. It's American Union craftsman ship at its best. Do not get stuck with this thing.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    A 22000msrp fwd 08 Escape auto has a trade in value of about 11000 in 12 months. (what an 07 is worth used from kbb.com with avg miles in excellent condition)

Ideally , one wants to buy a new (08) model car for about 20-25% or so more than the a trade in value of one a year younger (closer to 20% this time of year). This would put you at about 14000 for the 22000 ford. This may not be possible with the Ford dealers just waiting it out for the old stock to sell off. (they closed or slowed the production down a little past mid-year for the 08. The 09 production is much reduced)

You may have better luck with this with the Japanese brands as they hold their value better like the guy said. You may want to use 30-40% over trade in (07) for a target on an 09 model.

Unless you can get the 22000 08 model for $14000 or so pass on the Escape, especially if they start the $17000-18000 noise. A better Honda or Toyota could be had for close to that and won't be worth 11000 in 12 months.

Good luck
    --jjf

new
    NO WAY should you get an Escape over the CRV or RAV 4. You will get $1000 on trade in when you want to sell it, and the 0% APR cannot make up for that. The resale is lowsy. The CRV and RAV4 hold value much better, not to mention reliability and repair expense. Hondas and Toyotas are kicking the American car market for a reason. I am as American as apple pie, and thats why I want to make smart decisions. I would not drive this Escape if it was not free. I have 4900 miles on it in about a month, and it is already in the shop for a tranny slip. It slips between 5th and 6th gear, and in reverse. If you come to a stop, then try to back up, it grinds, slips and jumps. It's American Union craftsman ship at its best. Do not get stuck with this thing.
  • Thank you both for your feedback! I agree, my first choice is the CRV or RAV4 but I was researching whether the Escape at 0% APR plus a lower buying price would be worth my while. More to think about!
  • I recently picked up a dealer demo 2008 Mariner Premier 4WD with Nav, 17" wheels, Cargo Management, Heated Package, and Roof Rack (MSRP of $30750) for $19500. It has 15,000 miles, but I couldn't [non-permissible content removed] up the discounts. They also extended the Powertrain Warranty to 100,000 miles for free! There are deals out there if you can find them.
  • drgumsdrgums Posts: 51
    I am looking at a yellow Escape 2001 with 57000 miles. 6 cylinder 4wd

no sunroof, power windows, yellow, driven by an older oerson who traded up to a new one? looks clean

dealer offered car at 8K...way too high thinking of offering 5K

is this ford worth buying used for my daughter?

what is the record on these vehicles?

pricing? please advise...I want to know if I should buy the escape and if so ...what is a really good price?

any maintenance issues also? should I look for something else?

thank you

New jersey area
    Look up the trade in value of the vehicle on kbb.com and nada.com with 57000 miles. A really good price would be trade in value, Anything within ti +1000-1500 or so would be ok.

An 07 as you describe would probably have a trade in value of $12000 or so so you are in the right ball park.

Just drive the thing for an hour or so on the highway, etc-- turn on all the accessories etc and get a carfax.

--good luck
    --jjf
  • drgumsdrgums Posts: 51
    thank you for your advice.....BTW...this Ford is not a problem is it?

I am assuming regular maintenance...clear car fax...etc...

anything else typically go on theses vehicles to watch out for?

thanx
  • kbb.com trade in value is only a estimate. Chances are it's worth much less than that. there is an old saying in the car business, "there is no such thing as a be back, or a car with blue book". Be backs are those who look and say "I'll be back".
    A 2001 Ford anything is probably worth $2-3 in my opinion. I spent 15 years in the car business, new and used car manager. Now at a leasing company and only do new without trade in. I'd have a mechanic look at it, or look at a Toyota or Honda to be safe.
    Yes the engine, transmission, brakes, exhaust, power accessories.... the stuff that can go on any 7 year old used car. Any used car, (Ford, BMW, Honda etc) can be a problem. Some will argue the foreign nameplates are better but still a used car is a used car.

Good luck
    --jjf

thank you for your advice.....BTW...this Ford is not a problem is it?

I am assuming regular maintenance...clear car fax...etc...

anything else typically go on theses vehicles to watch out for?
  • rgwrgw Posts: 6
    I ordered my 2009 Mariner Premier V6 FWD last Oct. 7th. As of today, Jan. 9th , the vehicle has not arrived at the dealership nor can they tell me when it will arrive. Needless to say I took back m deposit and am now looking elsewhere for a new vehicle.
    Talk about blowing a sure deal, way to go Ford!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,448
    does the dealer have carfax to view?
    if not, spend a few bucks to get it.
    it's not 100%, but better than nothing.
    that 'old person owned it' is an old story.
    when i bought my mustang in 1991, 2 different dealers tried to sell me low mileage used that were owned by an old guy that passed away and the widow didn't want to keep it. i started feeling that model was cursed. :P
    ct isn't all that far from nj, so i guess that pitch is going around the bars. ;)
    escape-central.C O M is good additional site to look for info.
  • Same thing happened to us.
    We ordered our 2009 Mariner Premier V6 FWD on Columbus Day weekend and was told at the time that it would hit the dealer showroom around late November.
    Well that time came and went and was told again it was slated to arrive the second week of December. Once again there was a delay until we finally received it on Dec 31st.
    Though there was some frustration from us and the dealer for the long wait the vehicle is absolutely beautiful.
    The only reason that I can think of for the delay is that it's due to the extended plant shutdowns around the holiday's where the Mariner is made.
  • rgwrgw Posts: 6
    Based on the VIN # I was given my vehicle was finally built on Dec. 5th, 2 months after the order was placed. Now 3 months have gone by since I ordered it and no vehicle.
    My trade-in, a 2005 Mariner, is now worth less so the great deal I received in October is gone. Returning my deposit nullified the deal, but it’s Fords’ loss not mine. I’m sure that in this economy I can find a great deal out there somewhere else!
    I wonder what Ford will come up with for incentives after today?
  • Can someone offer me some advice. I am considering buying an 06 escape xlt awd with approx 35,000 miles. I have never owned a ford before... only honda, toyota, and vw. i am looking into this car only because of the price... for an 06 crv or rav4 with similar miles and options i'd have to pay at least 3,000 to 4,000 more. and that's based on list price... i haven't negotiated on the price yet.

my concerns would be the reliability of the car.. i don't want to end up having to take the car in for repairs on a regular basis. generally speaking, how is the reliability? should i shell out the extra 3-4,000 for an import?
  • I just traded in my '06 XLT 4X4 for a new '09. It had almost 35K miles, and other than taking it in for schedules maintenance (oil changes, tires rotation, etc), it never gave me a moment's worth of trouble....a very reliable vehicle! I would make sure that the vehicle has had its' 30,000 mile service, as this is a fairly major one. Pricewise, I noticed the dealer now has my 06 on the lot and are asking $14,995 for it. I got about 11,000 for it on trade-in (lousy resale value), so my guess is that somewhere around 13K would be a fair price range, but I would check the Edmunds TMV price as a guide.
  • Indydan, I'm looking for a good used Escape. What dealership has your old car and can you describe it more so I can look for it online?
    Thanks.
  • Borderdog...

It is at Andy Mohr Ford in Plainfield, Indiana...slightly west of Indianapolis. They do have a website and I am not sure if I can post it here, but you can easily google it. The car is shown online along with several photos. It is a silver XLT Sport 4X4. I was out that way the other day to look at it just to kill some time, and they had it on the lot and did a great job getting it cleaned up. It has several options, including the 6-disk audiophile system, running boards, and the towing package. It ran great and was used mostly for driving back and forth to work on the highway. Not sure where you're at, but it's worth taking a look at. Good luck!
  • I'm interested in the 2009 Tribute/Escape/Mariner but based on the slow activity level here I'm wondering if anyone else has been buying them. I'd love to see a few about deals others have been offered or made. Guess I'll just keep my eyes open.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,448
    we just bought an 09 escape limited today. we have an 04, which being passed onto one of the kids.
    we bought it on x plan.
    request a brochoure from the ford website. you might get a nice coupon.