Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Ford Escape Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bessbess Posts: 972
    It is my understanding that the Tribute has a slightly stiffer suspension for that 'sportier' feel. But other than that, it's pretty much what you have mentioned. Colors, and slightly different shape on some body panesl. The core of the vehicle (frame, engine, tranny, brakes) are identical. If you can't find the exact Mazda you like, take a look at the Escape. Honda and Hyundai also have mini-SUV's that compare to the Tribute/Escape well too.
  • $23,915 - 2,500 rebate = $21,415 Luxury Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Tow Pkg, Wheel locks, Auto dimming mirror/compass & Temp, ABS Brakes, Side Air bags & 6-way PWR driver seat.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Posts: 126
    Anybody bought the 04 tribute recently? Any information regarding the to-be-refreshed version? I see at caranddriver a 2004.5 refreshing, but not much detail.
  • Looking for an '04 LS w/4WD, ABS, Tow Pkg. in Pebble Ash. I can only pay invoice or maybe a little more. TMV is $21,590 and invoice is $20,845. But dealers around here are asking thousands more. Is the demand for Tributes really that great that they can afford to do that right now? What should I do to get my price? I'm willing to travel out of this area (St. Louis, MO) for a better deal. Can anyone recommend a better area?

I also have a '95 Ford Van (Club Wagon Chateau) in excellent condition - 100K mi. Need to get about $5K to make the deal work, but does a trade complicate the deal too much?

Appreciate any comments! We're ready to buy as soon as I can find a dealer more reasonable than the ones I've talked to around here.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,286
    Conversion vans are hard to value. You may get some numbers over in Real-World Trade-In Values.

You almost always get more for your trade when you can sell it yourself.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The slightly re-freshed 2005 Tribute will be out in December or January.
  • Is this a record for manufacturers?
  • Cars have to come out no earlier than January of the prior year to be called any given model year. So a 2005 model could come out in January of 2004, but no earlier. Ford released the then-new F-150 in January of 1996 as a 1997 model, for example.

If the new Tribute comes out in December, they'll have to call it a 2004.5 or some such.
    is what I read from caranddriver.com.

Saw a news release on wardsauto yesterday about 05'escape. Have some nice features. Wonder what improvement Tribute will have.

Wish list:

(1) floor shifter

(2) less wind noise

(3) safety canopy/curtain airbag
    The Tribute will be a 2005 model.

I don't know about the wind noise, since I have not driven the 2005 (due out in Ded 03 or Jan 04)...but I can confirm you got the floor shifter and the side air curtains for rollover.

Here are some of the standard feature changes...

4 cyl will be the 2.3l, new front and rear fascia design, new front grill bar design, new front grill bar design, new front grill bar design, new front grill bar design, new side moldings, new headlights, new 16 alloy design, console floor shifter, new modified suspension, std rear disc brakes, std ABS with ebd, std brake assist, new advanced airbags, new seat recliner latch for safety, rear center 3 point safety belt, new HVAC controls, new smart locking system, sirius ready head unit on radio....

There will be an 'i' version (4 cyl) and an S version which will be a 6 cyl...three option packages 1,2,3.....I havent sorted out the option packages yet....I post that info soon
    Please post the info when you got it.

Glad to see many braking related new features. Was somewhat disappointed by the rear drum brake in current model though I haven't encountered any braking problem when I drove an 03 ES V6 for one week as rental.
  • I just purchased a 2004 Mazda Tribute DX for $15,900.00. Granted this is the base model, but it still came with power windows, door locks, mirrors, etc. Was replacing a 1995 Ford Explorer my husband drives. Needed more room (i.e., kids) and needed something cheap. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. I know its not the "tripped" out version like the LX or ES, but for our family's needs it was a good vehicle at a decent price.
    Mazda just announced 0% for 60 months on 2004 Tributes in the Northeast. Check your local dealers for other regions.
  • Anyone know where I can go to get the best deal on a 03/04 Trib LX 4x2. I have looked at dealers in STL but they don't seem to want to negotiate even when they have 140 Tributes on the lot. Interesting? Anyway, I'm willing to travel to get the best price.
  • Hi:

I am to purchase a new, standard 2004 XLT 4WD soon. The internet sales person estimated my costs today as follows:

car price - 23,243
    1% profit - 232
    tax - 1,936
    SUM: 25,442
    -Rebate - 2,000
    ------------------
    To pay: 23,442

2-year registration/plates (~$70) and some other $30 DMV fee go extra on top of this.

The APR should be ca. 4.9%, though I am to check with my bank and car insurer tomorrow as well.

Is this a reasonable deal for upstate New York???
    This is my first new car - please ADVISE... (I only have 2 days left if I want to take advantage of this 'opportunity' - Ford may easily extend it, or have another one)

Thank you,
    Marek
  • My wife & I just bought a 2004 Tribute from Schaefer & Strohminger in Towson, MD. We were treated very professionally and got a super deal on an LX-V6 with the Sunroof and 6-CD option. $100 over invoice, -$2500 Cash back and a very good trade on our '94 Camry even with 169k miles. I would suggest any parents with younger children get the step bars since the sides are fairly high (especially in the rear).

My wife drives a 2000 Explorer XLT and we wanted something like it but with better gas mileage and a lot lower cost. We looked at several other makes & models (Chev Tracker/Suzuki XL-7, the XTerra, the CR-V, the Forrester, the Saturn VUE) For the money, the Escape/Mazda seemed to offer the best mix of a peppy V6, True 4X4 instead of AWD, good cabin space and a nice interior layout. The Forrester was a close second with great cabin space/layout and had better MPG thanks to the HO 2.5L 4-cyl., but the Auto Trans felt a little too jerky.

We finally chose the Mazda over the Ford for simply the Warranty 4yrs/50k miles vs. 3yrs/36k miles.
  • Hi everyone. Here's the problem. I'm looking at a 2003 Escape Limited with 5600 miles. Seems like a great deal at 20,800 when comparable 2004s new are MSRP around 29k with average retail around 27k. The Kelly Blue Book trade-in on this rig is about $22k, so I thought !fantastic! ... until looking here at Edmunds and getting a used RETAIL quote of about 22k. I've also seen 2003 XLT's used with mileage in the 15k to 20k range for asking prices around $22.

The question - is Edmunds wrong about this car? An '03 with 5600 miles - should it have a trade or a retail value around $22k?

Great story behind it that was validated by internet search - a couple, competing in an event sponsored by Ford both won Escape Limiteds...and then found out the tax burden that left them with, so turned one back in. So, not a buyback, not a lemon...

Any opinions are greatly appreciated..

• Steve - thanks for the link. But, it doesn't really answer my question. Supposedly Edmunds quotes are more accurate...is *this* one right?

The majority of the 2003 Escapes that I see listed through Edmunds within 400 miles (all are XLT, not Limited) have between 18k and 40k miles, averaging about $21k. So, I question that a Limited with extremly low miles would have an Edmunds retail value the same as an XLT with many times more miles...

So, setting aside the explanation of why Edmunds values are "better" than Kelley, can people give me some feedback on the perceived value of the deal that I'm looking at closing today (Jan 15th, 2004)?

I know that given the numbers I've seen here, the deal doesn't look as good as it used to. However, there are very few Limiteds sold slightly used as most are rental/program/lease XLT's. As such, taking a value for the XLT and simply bumping it up by an adjustment factor for Limited trim and for low miles seems a little out of line.

As before, opinions ARE appreciated...

Thanks
    Try asking Terry or any other dealers who hang out in Real-World Trade-In Values.

Steve

• kevriakevria Posts: 14
    I just picked up a 2003 Tribute LX with 4WD, ABS, Premium Audio, and Tow as a leftover for $21,500. Its MSRP is $25,050. There was a $2500 rebate involved too.
  • Any feelings about whether the 2005 Ford Escape is a worthwhile choice as compared to the 2004 Ford Escape? Other than a red color choice, any other differences? Is the limited finished better than the XLT? Is the AWD choice different/better/worse than the 4WD? Thanks!
    I can't speak for the Escape...but the Tribute is getting a new 4wd system that is improved and more reactive. Also the shifter has been moved from the steering wheel to a a floor shifter. Also, the Tribute has a much better warranty than the Escape. 4 yr/50K vs 3yr/36K.....The mazda version will also be out before the Escape version. Also, Mercury is getting a version that will be called the Mariner which is due this fall and will be the most upscale of all three versions.
  • The 2005 Escape is already out - I just saw an XLS model on Saturday while getting service at the dealer.

I went to the Mazda dealer who said he had received some 2005 Tributes, and when I arrived no one could find them. They even drove me to an auxiliary lot and they weren't there. Their inventory data showed them as having arrived, but they could not find them - or their computer was counting vehicles before their actual arrival. It was very annoying.
  • New 2004 Escape XLT frt/whl/dr sticker 25,250, everything but leather, paid 22,750. Nice price for the car, got 2000 rebate + $500 for the auto show rebate + $200 scratch off bonus from the Chicago auto show ($2700). 20,050 final price+ tax&fees.
    Dealer would not accept bank check check from eloan or peoplefirst(capuital one).
  • phuckenet

Help me please, where did you purchase yours? I live in Lake County and I'm seriously considering an Escape. The dealer is still willing to give me the Auto Show rebate, but that price ...dang $20K, Seesler quoted me a 2004 Ford Escape XLT for $22K.

I'm guessing your's isn't a 4 wheel drive and that is the difference.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,899
    A journalist is hoping to interview consumers who recently bought pre-owned crossover vehicles (such as the Acura MDX, Audi quattro, Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Baja, Toyota RAV4, Volvo XC70, etc). Why did you go for a cross-over? Which one? How does it suit your tastes, lifestyle and budget?
    Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• carguydccarguydc Posts: 46
    Mattk1 - I have a 2004 Escape Limited that I really like. Having said that, I've read about and seen the new 2005 Escape and I think it's a great improvement. The exterior styling updates are great (really like the new front lights and foglamps), the floor shifter is a HUGE improvement, it now has a safety canopy, and a new 4WD system. (Although mine is a FWD, so I haven't paid too much attention to the 4WD system). There are other forums on the web where people discuss Escapes - including some that have already bought the 2005 - may be worth checking out. Also, the Ford website is up with the 2005 Escape info. Hope this helps.
    Looking over the features of 2005 Escape, I noticed that the side air bag is replaced with safety canopy.

The problem is old side air bag is large and with head protection. It also protects the upper body. The new safety canopy only protects the head during a side collision or rollover.

So will 2005 be safer than 2004? I don't know.
  • jws48jws48 Posts: 8
    Debated the additional rebate against depreciation and opted for the 2005 Limited, Luxury Package, Side Curtains, Towing - MSRP $28,825 and price bought $26,923. Get the rebate ($1,000) plus the expanded Military Appreciation ($750.00) according to the dealer. All black unit - due to arrive week of April 12. The added features and changes to the 2005 made the difference.