Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Ford Escape Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kevriakevria Member Posts: 14
    I just picked up a 2003 Tribute LX with 4WD, ABS, Premium Audio, and Tow as a leftover for $21,500. Its MSRP is $25,050. There was a $2500 rebate involved too.
  • mattk1mattk1 Member Posts: 1
    Any feelings about whether the 2005 Ford Escape is a worthwhile choice as compared to the 2004 Ford Escape? Other than a red color choice, any other differences? Is the limited finished better than the XLT? Is the AWD choice different/better/worse than the 4WD? Thanks!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I can't speak for the Escape...but the Tribute is getting a new 4wd system that is improved and more reactive. Also the shifter has been moved from the steering wheel to a a floor shifter. Also, the Tribute has a much better warranty than the Escape. 4 yr/50K vs 3yr/36K.....The mazda version will also be out before the Escape version. Also, Mercury is getting a version that will be called the Mariner which is due this fall and will be the most upscale of all three versions.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    The 2005 Escape is already out - I just saw an XLS model on Saturday while getting service at the dealer.

I went to the Mazda dealer who said he had received some 2005 Tributes, and when I arrived no one could find them. They even drove me to an auxiliary lot and they weren't there. Their inventory data showed them as having arrived, but they could not find them - or their computer was counting vehicles before their actual arrival. It was very annoying.
  • phuckenetphuckenet Member Posts: 1
    New 2004 Escape XLT frt/whl/dr sticker 25,250, everything but leather, paid 22,750. Nice price for the car, got 2000 rebate + $500 for the auto show rebate + $200 scratch off bonus from the Chicago auto show ($2700). 20,050 final price+ tax&fees.
    Dealer would not accept bank check check from eloan or peoplefirst(capuital one).
  • smsuvundecidedsmsuvundecided Member Posts: 49
    phuckenet

Help me please, where did you purchase yours? I live in Lake County and I'm seriously considering an Escape. The dealer is still willing to give me the Auto Show rebate, but that price ...dang $20K, Seesler quoted me a 2004 Ford Escape XLT for $22K.

I'm guessing your's isn't a 4 wheel drive and that is the difference.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is hoping to interview consumers who recently bought pre-owned crossover vehicles (such as the Acura MDX, Audi quattro, Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Baja, Toyota RAV4, Volvo XC70, etc). Why did you go for a cross-over? Which one? How does it suit your tastes, lifestyle and budget?
    Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• carguydccarguydc Member Posts: 46
    Mattk1 - I have a 2004 Escape Limited that I really like. Having said that, I've read about and seen the new 2005 Escape and I think it's a great improvement. The exterior styling updates are great (really like the new front lights and foglamps), the floor shifter is a HUGE improvement, it now has a safety canopy, and a new 4WD system. (Although mine is a FWD, so I haven't paid too much attention to the 4WD system). There are other forums on the web where people discuss Escapes - including some that have already bought the 2005 - may be worth checking out. Also, the Ford website is up with the 2005 Escape info. Hope this helps.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    Looking over the features of 2005 Escape, I noticed that the side air bag is replaced with safety canopy.

The problem is old side air bag is large and with head protection. It also protects the upper body. The new safety canopy only protects the head during a side collision or rollover.

So will 2005 be safer than 2004? I don't know.
  • jws48jws48 Member Posts: 8
    Debated the additional rebate against depreciation and opted for the 2005 Limited, Luxury Package, Side Curtains, Towing - MSRP $28,825 and price bought $26,923. Get the rebate ($1,000) plus the expanded Military Appreciation ($750.00) according to the dealer. All black unit - due to arrive week of April 12. The added features and changes to the 2005 made the difference.
  • jtn123jtn123 Member Posts: 1
    The best price I found, which no other local dealer was willing to match, was $5100 off MSRP. This included the $2500 rebate.

So, I got a silver '04 LX 4wd V6 w/ no options for $19,022 plus DMV fees.

There was no trade-in involved.
    I financed thru my own Credit Union.
  • lglblondlglblond Member Posts: 9
    Local dealer has given me a quote of $20,499 on an MSRP of $23,665, PRIOR to rebates of $1400. The invoice is $22,230, so the selling price is well below invoice. The OUT THE DOOR PRICE is $20,155. The whole deal is $4566 off the MSRP (after rebate) and $1700 below invoice, before the $1400 rebate.

Other dealers have told me that this quote is "lie." And that I'll never get it at this price. One said there is a $715 holdback, and no factory/dealer incentives on this vehicle.

Any advice??
  • lglblondlglblond Member Posts: 9
    Ended up opting for the 4 cyl. MSRP $20,735. Invoice was $19,557.00. Offer price $19,000 prior to rebates. After tags, title, doc fees and less rebates ($1400) & trade-in ($600) = $17,976.00
  • lanceflancef Member Posts: 8
    Purchased a 2005 Mazda Tribute S with the following: V-6, FWD. Options: package 2 (includes leather, 6 way power driver's seat, maple look panel trim, 190 watt stereo with 6 disc in dash CD with 7 speakers, ovhd storage console, cargo cover), side air curtains option, and cargo net option. Price: $21,600 which includes the $2,000 rebate from Joe Myers Mazda in Houston. Price beat the S plan price by $339. Went with the Tribute over the Escape because of longer warranty and better rebate.
  • weathermanweatherman Member Posts: 5
    picked up my 05' trib s...package 2 w/ dvd and some other minor accessories on Saturday. Had a fairly good experience using a Clarksville, IN dealership. I was using S-plan and they said they accidentally mixed the numbers up and tried to overcharge me over 2 grand! I showed them that I had the pricing from the web and that I have to see the real Dealer invoice as per the S plan instructions. They couldn't believe that could get the pricing for every little detail online...what year do they think it is???? But they quickly changed it to the right price and the rest went very smooth. I hope it was truly a mistake on their part.
  • kmm1974kmm1974 Member Posts: 5
    Iglblond -- Are you happy with the 4 cyl? I'm debating myself, and not sure if it's worth the extra cost to go with the V6.
  • lisa3lisa3 Member Posts: 1
    Today I purchased the 2004 tribute dx, after my $4000.00 rebate i got it for 13,900. When I got home to show my husband we realized they gave us the model that didn't come with all weather floor mats and bumper plate, which is the one we got quoted on. I am not very happy with the dealership and will make them give me these. I was told by a lady who works in the office that they sold the other one today also.
  • johnniewalkerjohnniewalker Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 8/21/04: Options: DVD, Side Air Curtains, Auto Trans, Tow Package, & Package 2.
    MSRP 28,180
    PAID 26,139 Including 7yr/100k Warrantee and 2k Rebate.

Bad News: Tax & Licensing in WA brings it to 28,845 OTD.
  • dewdew Member Posts: 1
    2005 Mazda Tribute S/2pk (V6, Leather....

$22660 out the door. No trade.
    Cory Fairbanks Mazda
    Longwood, FL
    Hope this information helps.

Happy shopping!
  • orbitorbit Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering purchasing a FORD FREESTYLE.Can not find accurate pricing info so far.Did look up the Chrysler PACIFICA.Posters claim they get between 18 & 22% off sticker price."Invoice"means nothing.Anyone have info on best deals on the FREE STYLE?
  • epecepec Member Posts: 16
    I am in state college,PA,the local ford dealer has a XLS 4-cly,the MSRP is 22910$ and invoice is 21275$. I want to negotiate to around 20000$ before the 2400$ rebate. Any suggestion on that? Thanks
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Recently purchased a 2005 Mazda Tribute S 4WD 6cyl with:
    Package 3 (leather, sunroof, 6 disc changer, etc)
    Side Curtain Airbags
    Auto dimming mirror w/compass

Price paid before tax, tag, title:
    $21888

This price included a $3K Mazda rebate and another $1K rebate for financing through Mazda.

I think that I got a great deal, and was real happy with the dealer experience (purchased at Browns Alexandria Mazda (VA)!!
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Yes, I would say you got a pretty darn good deal! All those extras like leather, and sunroof.. nice options. The wife and I own an 04 Trib ES V6 4wd and its been a great vehicle. Have fun.. zoom, zoom....
  • flasvtflasvt Member Posts: 64
    ...of a V6 FWD -this is flat South Florida- 2005 Mercury Mariner Premier. Price after $2000 cash back rebate, but before tax, tag and title, $23,000.

I can tell you that it would be difficult to forgo the good dealer experience, so if Lincoln Mercury comes with the right product in the future they can count on my loyalty. Hollywood Lincoln Mercury in Hollywood Florida went out of their way to find the color combination I wanted. The customer service was excellent and I left very happy with my purchase.

After little, but some, negotiations I got a fair price for my trade in. It was a painless, swift and rewarding experience.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Egad
    Just bought an '05 Tribute. For me, the perfect mechanical setup. The much better Mazda 4 cyl, 5 speed, and AWD. Really not enough time behind the wheel yet to gage fuel consumption, though two tiny top offs showed 29 and 25. Solid, a good handler, nice steering and brakes.
    My biggest [non-permissible content removed] ( if I can say that ) was that in the relocation of the spare under the rear floor, which in itself is okay by me, the underfloor hidden storage was lost.
    Or so I thought.
    Today, while wandering through the Ford lot, I came across newly delivered Escapes with a new option- a rear storage compartment. I was shocked. It turns out I was not the only one miffed by the oversight in the redesign. I guess it speaks well of Ford that they made a running change. But darn, not quite in time for me. I'll pull my carpet to see if there is any chance of a modification, since on the underside, the appearance is the same. But I bet it can't be done.
    But beyond all that, I think it is going to be a great vehicle, as long as it is as dependable as my outgoing Honda Accord has been....
  • kaye3kaye3 Member Posts: 4
    Just put money down for a Tribute: 2-wheel drive 5-speed i: 15,852 before taxes. Haven't taken it home yet.

Compared with the Forester, I thought the Forester had a "finer" ride, but this is so much cheaper and has more features that I like.

I do wish the Forester had more of an "SUV" style and was less like a wagon...then I may have posted to the Subie forum instead. Hope the Mazda was a good decision!!

Kaye
  • vangroovyvangroovy Member Posts: 5
    05 Tribute GT (limited)
    Fully Loaded
    $35,200 before the 14% taxes CDN
  • ssp5168ssp5168 Member Posts: 4
    DC driver-that was an awesome deal!!! I am from the northern Virginia area and I'm just wondering who your salesmen was at Brown's. Did you get this quote from the internet or in person? Also, I was told you couldn't combine the $3000 rebate with any other incentives. I went to Brown's in Fairfax I was quoted $25777 for 2005 S 4WD with Pkg 1, side air bags, running boards, auto mirror w/homelink. Very poor quote compared to yours! I would appreciate any info you could give me! Thanks!
  • flasvtflasvt Member Posts: 64
    My understanding is hat you can't combine manufacturer's incentives (unless you are buying and old Chrysler minivan) but you can combine manufacturers and financing incentives. Some credit companies depending on automakers such as Ford Credit, GMAC or in this case Mazda Credit, are offering incentives to keep those customers that choose the cash back instead of the low APRs. Those customers traditionally get financing from banks instead in pursue of cheaper rates. Basically then DC driver's deal is possible now (you need to ask) I don't think for long though.
    SSP -
    I bought my Tribute at Brown's in Fairfax last week. Very very nice people to deal with. I benefited from being able to purchase under the S-plan, but yes, you can combine the 3000 rebate with the 1000 rebate when financed through them. Admittedly, the interest rate in doing so is rather high, about 8% in my case. But I had an excellent experience with all concerned.
    As for my remorse over getting one built before the rear underfloor storage option became available ( it is on the Escapes now; not sure about Tributes yet ) I have discovered that if I must have it, I can do it, based on what is under the carpet now. But I bet that road noise will increase with the storage tray back there.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... I'm just wondering who your salesmen was at Brown's.

You'll have to do that privately. See the note hightlighted in red at the bottom of this page concerning posting of names, etc.

tidester, host
  • maemark99maemark99 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 05, S with PKG1 and a few other things. MSRP was $25,600, Invoice $23,700.
    I paid right at $23,800 less the $3K cash back and a separate $1K for financing through MAC. Dealer fee was an obnoxious $499, but I got out the door for right at $20K. This was at Boniface Hiers in Melbourne Fl. Best quote I got was for ~$300 less from Cory Fairbanks in Longwood Fl, a much bigger dealer but almost 100 miles away.

I'm Happy with it.
    fabulous deal, and might even be a bit better than S-plan pricing, though the dealer fees are nuts there.
  • mphxazmphxaz Member Posts: 27
    First of all I want to Thank all of those that post to these forums, I've been "lurking" for a while and the information picked up here is invaluable! We just picked up our new 05 Tribute S 2WD tonight with Package 2 (Leather, Premium Stereo, Power Seat, etc), Side Air Bags & Curtains, Auto Dim Mirror W/Homelink, Rear Step Plate, Door Edge Guards & Cargo Net. Paid $20,413 before TT&L and after 3K rebate combined with the 1K rebate for financing through Mazda Credit. Financed the minimum needed to receive 1K rebate and will pay off early in 3 months. We felt it was worth it to receive the additional 1K rebate. Learned about the 1K rebate in this forum, surprised all at the dealership (How did he know about that?) but the internet salesman I was working with. This rebate is assigned to the dealer, but you can ask for it and they will deduct it from your sales price. If you don't ask but finance through Mazda credit anyway, the dealer gets the 1K and smiles as you walk out the door ... There are great deals out there right now, go for it if you've been thinking about the Tribute!
  • hometeamdawghometeamdawg Member Posts: 1
    Dealer in Macon, GA this past weekend advertised a new 2005 Mazda Tribute, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, with air, for $14,990. I wanted automatic, and the best price was $18,000! Salesman told me that Mazda had given them an incentive on the 5 speed.
  • slider162slider162 Member Posts: 16
    Mercury Mariner 6 CYL FWD

Central Florida

Sticker Price: $27,905

- All options Available

Price Before TTT: $24,405

-$2,000 Customer Rebate

-$1,500 Dealer Rebate

I haven't picked up the car yet but this is what I have them down to so far. I think I can get another $500 out of them.
  • vfrpetevfrpete Member Posts: 1
    ..2005, Pebble, S trim with: 4wd, 6cyl, 1PK, tow pack, side air bags/air curtains $21,199 plus T/T, from excellent rep at North Penn Mazda in PA. That's after 3000 rebate and 1000 MAC cash and 500 college grad. This after a terrible experience at Sussman Mazda (PA) who tried to rip me off and lied to me. Of note, if you're buying-

1. You CAN get the $1000 MAC cash for financing thru Mazda WITH the college grad rebate.

2. You CAN negotiate the MAC rate, don't believe it if they say it's 6.9! I'm at 5.3 with Mazda.
  • j647j647 Member Posts: 4
    2005 S model, 6cyl, auto trans, FWD (don't need AWD in NC), $18,300 after the 3000 rebate. No upgrade packages. I bought it the Saturday before Xmas, (went in the 1st week in Dec to test drive), and there was NOBODY in the showroom.

I drove an '04 in August, w/ 5-speed and it was about the same price although the '05's had come out.

I am not a big fan of the interior looks where the radio is but everything else is great.
  • sweswe Member Posts: 8
    2005 Tribute GX-14 (with Convenience Package)

2.3L, FWD, 4 speed Automatic

A/C, Cruise Control, etc. etc.

Price: CAN $26,110 before taxes

Just love the car, nice exterior (Dark Titanium) and the interior very well laid out and stylish. The 2.3 liter engine is surprisingly powerful and the fuel consumption great (as per spec.)

The dealer West Coast Mazda in Pitt Meadows BC,was ok until I found a defect a few days after purchase (small damage to underside of lower moulding/bracket)probably caused during transport.

Sales Manager refused to take responsibility, instead blames customer and subsequently looses good customer. Stupid way to do business I think, save a few dollars on a minor repair and loose years of maintenance/service income.

Oh well, it's their loss, I still love my new Trib.
  • sweswe Member Posts: 8
    CAN $26,110 = US $ 21,671 (CAN$1.00 = US$0.83)
  • lothar23lothar23 Member Posts: 2
    Wish I had known about the $1000 rebate through Mazda financing...should have checked here before I bought...whoops.

Question - why, after 3500 mi am I only getting 21.5 mpg, when I do almost all Hwy driving, and at reasonable speeds?

rcinmd - funny, new mazdas are similar, and I switched from a Honda (Accord) also. Loved that car, but not a fan of CRVs.

Wasn't sure if FWD would be enough, but handles great in the snow.
    From what I have read, people usually average 2-4 less mpg during colder months (look through some of the SUV posts). Maybe after winter that average will be closer to 25 or so..

I was lucky enough that my dealer was up front about all the incentives (of course I negotiated over the Internet and did my homework on pricing). It is highly possible that the dealer pocketed the rebate.. This is not uncommon (read Edmunds "Confessions of A Car Salesman" when you have time, you will learn a ton!)
  • nanas2nanas2 Member Posts: 4
    Platinum Metallic, Cloth, Tow PKG, Side Step Tubes, Rear Bumper Guard, All Weather Floor Mats, Spoiler, Cargo Net, Auto 4 spd. 430 miles.. We ended up financing 17,403 we gave 2500 down with 2600 for our trade. The dealer gave us 3500 cash back. Mazda financing disappointed us and would not match our institutions 6.5, We took 7.4 and will refinance in 6 months. The dealer Milo Gordon, Lawton, OK. was an OK experience. After reading some of the forums I think we did OK, but will do much better next time. My first new car buying experience
  • huskerdoo1huskerdoo1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

Can anyone clear up the current Mazda Tribute incentives for me? Currently there is 2500 dollars back to customer and 1000 more to customer if they finance through Mazda at the current rate, which I have been told is grossly inflated at 7-8.5% way above the majority of financial institutes 4-5%. I have also found on this web site a 500 rebate "to dealer" as well. There is also 0% financing but not with the 2500 but you can get 2.9 with the 1000 rebate. Should the dealers 500 be considered in when determining price or is that their money that you will never see or get credit for? Just want to have my information correct before I start dealing.
    I've had the Tribute since Thanksgiving, and I have not yet put 300 miles on it. Still breaking it in, and still racking up miles on the Accord till I sell it. I am a bit concerned about the gas mileage though as well. I have generally found that what a vehicle gets when new is what it gets 50,000 miles later. Thus far, and admittedly during cold weather, and short trips, I have averaged around 21 mpg.

We have had a couple snows recently, but I have been driving the Honda. I did take the Tribute down the street after the first snow, to check traction ( AWD, 5 speed ), and it did great. Also "slammed" on the brakes to check the ABS. Lots of racket, and it stopped just fine. So the Tribute is still nice and shiney silver in the driveway, while the Accord is salt-covered.

But back to the gas mileage. Not sure what is going on there. It seems this family of vehicles is not very fuel efficient.
    Yes.

I purchased my 05 Tribute in November 04 and received $4K in rebates (including the $1K rebate from Mazda Credit. I have really good credit and got 5.9%.

Here is the trick, take the finance rebate and then simply refinance later (I believe that you have to make three payments (3 months) to Mazda before you can refinance through another lender). I looked at refinancing, but I had a pretty big downpayment so I would really only end up saving a few dollars a month.

I got a great deal on my Tribute ($400 under invoce plus the $4000 rebate). Paid $21,877 for my 05 Tribute S AWD V6 with pkg 3, side curtain airbags, and auto-dimming mirror with compass. I did some extensive negotiation over the Internet before purchase. I also got KBB bluebook value on my wife's used Nissan Sentra (after extensive negotiation). Always negotiate your trade-in after you negotiate the price of the new car! They will always try and get you...
    One more thing, I told the finance clerk that my credit union was offering 3.9% and if they could not get close, then I would not finance through Mazda. So, I think that 7-8% talk is not right since I got 5.9% plus all the incentives.

Like I mentioned, you should still be better off taking the $1K rebate at a higher interest rate and then refinancing later at a lower interest rate. Good luck! Let us know what happens.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I wouldn't think gas mileage would be a concern to you with only 300 miles in two months (works out to 1,800 miles per year). In any case, you should take performance issues over to the Mazda Tribute discussion.

tidester, host
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    heres what you should do.....

buy the car with mazda financing and take the full rebates. as soon as you get your payment book, call mazda for the payoff. refinance at whatever bank or credit union offers you the best rate, and pay off the original loan. there will be no penalty for early payment of the original simple interest loan. it will have cost you about a months worth of interest on the original amount financed, but should still save you enough money to be worth the effort. most banks and credit unions will allow you 90 days to do this after the purchase.
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    usually, with any kind of new vehicle, it will never get near the highway mpg listed on the sticker until the engin is broken in. usually, you will see mpg rise once you have put about 5000 miles on it.