Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Comments

• Thanks for your reply today re my questions on the heated seats and road noise. Yes, I will be taking a Sebring Convert out for a test drive soon. I see that as of today Chrysler has extended their $3000 rebate on the convert until 3/31, so that will be another factor in my buying decision. How does your car handle in the snow? I am assuming it does well since it has front wheel drive and traction control.
  • Sebring is advertised as a four-season car, although the best bet would be to throw on a set of winter rims and tires once/year.

ctrcss might address the question of how well the fabric top insulates, too....
  • jan41jan41 Posts: 1
    We were told by dealer not to use carwashes, due to force and possible water being forced under the convertible top into the interior, thus destroying the integr1ty of the top. Any suggestions on washing the car & cleaning the vinyl top in the wintertime.
  • adp3adp3 Posts: 446
    you can use car wahses, just not the ones that aren't designed for convertibles. The cheap car wahses (not all) have high pressure washes that will shoot water into your car, where the side windows meet the roof. Guaranteed. 100% of the time. Using a wash that does not have the high pressure spray seems to be just fine. Some places can "turn off" one of the high-pressure washes. That place is just fine for my car, and I have 60k miles on it.
  • ctrcssctrcss Posts: 9
    Mine handled just fine. I didn't put it in any tough situations as there were just a few inches of snow on the ground.
  • tr13tr13 Posts: 10
    I had to have the regulators in my power windows replaced. My windows shuttered going up and down. It has helpped. One dealership told me that is how they are. The dealership I deal with now actually fixed it! I feel I am becoming queen of getting problems fixed in my Sebring.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,300
    is a ver nice unit on this car (really transformed the drivetrain with the 2.7l engine). I didn't end up buying it (but kinda wish I had), but got to take a long test drive in an '02 GTC 5-speed last fall. Shifted nice, and the clutch seemed to have a nice feel, progresive take-up, and a reasonable effort. Overall, much nicer driving package then I expected.

Plus, no banging down shifting into 1st! )unless you are really bad with a stick). Just another reason to drive a manual.

Of course, probably will be a bear to resell a stick, but that's the price you pay.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Hi all, just popping by to say hi. I bought my '01 silver Sebring convertible about three years ago now and about all I could wish for is a little more acceleration when I put the hammer down--but then, this car is known as a "boulevard cruiser" and not a "bruiser." Mine's got over 72,000 hard miles on it now, and seems to rattle a bit more than she used to.....

Is it a chick car? I'm a 47-year-old married man. My wife calls this my "geriatric crisis mobile." I don't sweat the buyer demographics. When I bought this car, there was no other car I would seriously consider.....

I still think the Sebring is probably the best value proposition in a convertible on the market, and though I hope to be driving a convertible for a long time to come, I don't expect my next one will be the Chrysler, as I'll be looking for more "oomph.".....

Steve
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Posts: 83
    Does anyone know where I can find a right rear tail light for a 96 Sebring Convertible. The Chrysler Dealer wants a mint :(
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Try giving your local auto wreckers a call
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,634
    Do a search on Ebay as well.

• schaeffzschaeffz Posts: 18
    From schaeffz in Maryland...After a year's research and bolstering the bank account, I bought a used '04 silver GTC, 25,000 miles, base model with cloth power seats, for $18,255 on the road (including 5% MD tax). This is right at the Edmunds "Private Sale" price, $2000 less than the sticker. MSRP for a new one is about $27,000, so I got it for about $10,000 off for a long-year's worth of wear and tear. And I still have 2/3rds of the powertrain warranty left. It was a rental bought at auction by the dealer (thanks Carfax!). The dealer had seven used 2004's (all previous-rentals), with mine having the most mileage. I used this against them to get the price down. Rentals can be a very good buy, since they are well-taken care of. Perfectly clean engine compartment, no nics or dents anywhere, some wear shows on the upolstery. The tires are worn about half-way down, as expected. The lowest I could go with several dealers for a new base-model LX 4-cyl, white with brown roof, with no options was $21,600 on-the-road. The stock front seat is VERY low, too low for my wife to see over the steering wheel. The power seat rises a good 2 inches, a necessity for short people. The brown tops I've seen show stains and streaks. The silver with matching silver wheels with black top with the GTC interior accents gives my Sebring a very manly look and feel. I'm going to buy a black magnetbra (magnetbra.com) for the hood to sport it up some more (and protect from road-chips in the paint). The "sport" suspension is a bit more jerky than the standard, another thing OK with the testosterone in me. I'm quite happy so far, this coming from a guy who is giving up his Hyundai Accent, quite a step up I guess. Can't wait for those sunny Spring days!!!!!
    Been driving my used '04 GTC for a week. Getting 24 MPG on my 40-mile commute with some in town driving. My commute is half on 55-65MPH highway and half on 40-50MPH two-lane country road. This is below the highway rating and disappointing. This from a guy who has been getting 35+MPG in my '01 Hyundai Accent. I'm curious about other's MPG experience with the 2.7 engine. In any event, I bought this for my lazy commute thru the countryside with the top down, not for the mileage. I've had the chance every day this past week, with the great weather we've had here in MD-VA. I'm lovin' it! I put the electric seat all the way down for top-down operation, which puts wind buffeting down to a very comfortable level. With the seat all the way up, my hair (what's left of it) gets tossled considerably more. A lot less open-air noise than I expected! The radio/CD sounds great, even with the top down! Had to use the heater some cool mornings, but hey, flaunt it if you got it! The car has 25,000+ miles and there is no problem with the transmission shifting at all, every shift is smooth and hardly noticeable. Interesting that with the cruise control on at 45MPH and doing the little hills and valleys of my 2-lane drive, I see the tach showing shifting from 3rd to 4th, about 500RPM, but I don't feel or hear a thing. This is from a guy who has driven stick shifts all his life. The other night I had my wife out for a drive, put the top up to park and run into some stores for shopping and decided to drive home with the top up, just to save a cycle on the motors. But...my wife made me stop and put the top down for the 5-mile trip home! Guess her initial resistance has been eliminated. Thanks to my Sebring! Guess I'll have to let her drive it more than I originally planned.
    I average the same in my 02 Limited with the same mileage on it and an even 50/50 hwy/city split.. Acquired the car about a month ago. Its really sensitive to how hard you accelerate thats for sure, when I do so to make up for the lack of anything resembling power below 30mph, I pay for it at the pump.

I'll probably get a fuel system flush to see if that helps... The intake at f5performance is supposedly good for 3mpg.
    After using a tankful on almost all highway, I got 28 mpg, not quite the 29 on the sticker. I think I have become much more careful on accelerations, slow and steady, trying to keep the tach at or below 2000 rpm. This is a much slower start than I usually use with my Hyundai. It seems that no matter how fast or slow I drive my Hyundai, I get 35+ mpg. I'm not into this for the drag racing, so guess I'll muddle along like the senior citizen I will be soon (just joined AARP by the way). Did have the opportunity to pass a slow guy on the two lane road, and ooppss, before I knew it I was up to 80. Guess I better watch that! I have become somewhat annoyed by the lack of lumbar support. Even my Hyundai and Kia have a nice manual adjustable lumbar. Why can't American cars do this? Got to buy a lumbar pillow I guess. Otherwise, I'm lovin the cruisin with the top down!
  • linettlinett Posts: 1
    Bought my 2000 Convertible two years ago and I have had excellent performance. Today my left rear window stopped operating. Will it be very expensive to repair? Does anybody have any good sugggestions? RLinett@aol.com.
    Installed an F5 performance intake and I am now averaging about 1 mpg more than the sticker suggests now instead of 1-2 below.
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Posts: 47
    I have a 1999 JXi. If I drive the car on the freeway, I get paranoid my boot is gonna blow off the car (already happened) It seems the wind catches the corners where the velcro attaches it to the car itself. Does anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Doesn't Chrysler sell a wind deflector for this car?

There is a windstop available but its for stopping wind from buffing front seat passengers from behind. Here is a pic of a Sebring with it installed.
    windstop installed and up

I haven't used the boot cover on mine yet.. As I don't leave the top down when I park and take mosty 15 minute or less trips.
    Well it's a nice thing to have anyway and it might keep the boot cover in place. Do they really use velcro? Doesn't sound like the best choice of materials for that function--if you recall, you "tug" velcro to loosen it, just like---yes, the wind!

Yep my car has velcro on the panels for the boot to attach to. There are tabs on the boot that stick out as well I believe that tuck in somewhere to also try to hold it in place.

The windstop is a great accessory by all accounts for those who ride a lot on the highway and for keeping the chills away on cool nights and early/late in the top down season. I'll probably get one this fall despite its ~$300 Canadian price tag.
  • Has anyone had a problem with both the gas gauge and the indicator for miles before filling up being totally inaccurate after the car has been sitting in the sun? After driving it for about fifteen minutes, all returns to normal. We recently bought a 2004 Sebring Limited for my husband and love it, but he swears this happens. The three times he has allowed me to take it to work I haven't had a problem but I park in a deck so it is shaded. I told him to call the dealer but he asked that I inquire on Town Hall from other owners just to see if he is getting senile.
  • kenitzerkenitzer Posts: 19
    Purchased a new 2004 Sapphire Blue over Sandlewood Sebring Conv. Touring model, loaded with everything except ABS Traction Control. I have been looking at convertibles for a while, with my short list being the Sebring, 2004 Toyota Solara Conv. and 2001 Saab 9-3 Conv. So far I am quite happy with my choice. We have had good luck with Chrysler/Dodge products in the past, which was certainly a factor that influenced my decision. Also, the current rebates make a the 2004 Sebring Conv. an attractive choice. I was able to make a deal for about $300 below dealer invoice. We'll see how things go from here.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,300
    Well, gas does expand when in the sun. I don't know exactly how Chrsyler set up the guages and sensors, but it's not inconceivable that the effects of the sun cause the guage to read high.

Just ask the dealer the next time you have it in.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Congrats and enjoy the car!
  • I guess I should have been more specific about the error on the gas gauge and the reading for miles before needing a fill-up. The gauge reads nearly empty and the miles show maybe 20. This gradually increases as you drive it once it hasn't been sitting in the sun. I agree with you, stickguy. My husband just needs to ask the dealer about it.

Great looking car, kenitzer. My hubby originally thought he wanted the sapphire but we ended up with the red. He actually spent an hour trying to decide between the sapphire, silver or red and finally went with his heart. He has always wanted a red convertible and it is sharp. But your sapphire is very, very cool.
  • nanaabnanaab Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 sebring convertable with 34,000 miles. The defogger contact points attached to the rear window have broken off four times( twice on each side)but were able to be soldered back. Has anyone else had this type of problem? If so, what were the results? What was the feedback by the mechanic (if any)?
  • bailey1bailey1 Posts: 6
    buy the sebring convertible or the Solara SLE? I really dig the look of the Sebring and the Limited has everything I want in it (but to be fair, so does the Solara). My biggest concern is the safety rating. While I realize that 3 stars doesn't make it a death-trap, I have short people (kids) to consider. If it were just myself, I'd probably throw caution to the wind, but those days are over.
    Have you driven them both? That may push you further in the direction of the Solara. I like my 02 Sebring Limited but I realize the Solara edges it out quite easily in safety, interior quality and powertrain. Its also more expensive however and I don't like the exterior. My next vert may be the upcoming Pontiac g6.