Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    $33k is roughly $900, if I'm not mistaken. I got a 6-speed Nav w/ HPT tires in my one and only color choice via an ordered car for $1,000 over invoice $33.3k in May, with no dealer processing fees or other such add ons or garbage.

If I were in the market now, I'd either want to do better or wait until the 2005's came out, to save on a model year of depreciation. I did my deal in May primarilily because I was trading a Honda S2000 and it's market value peaks in the late spring. Had that not been the case, I would have waited for the 2005 even back then, as I now am for our SUV replacement.
  • miisumiisu Posts: 2
    My husband and I went to Pye Acura (Chattanooga TN) today to test drive 04 TL. After the drive the sales guy asked us to go in to "put the numbers on paper". We told him that we don't really plan to buy today, but we'll take his offer and look around. So, the TL we looked at was 04 TL w/o Nav, auto, and it had a "protection package" for 895.- (which wasn't there 2 weeks ago, and we were not interested in). Sticker was 34,000.-. We told him that we don't want any add-ons.
    So he comes to us and quotes 33,500.-, we told him no way. So, he went to talk to the "sales manager" and came back with 32,500.-
    We had decided that we will not buy it above 31,500.-. So the guy comes back, and quotes 32,000, and told us that this is the absolute low he can go. We told him we wanted 31,500. So he went back to the manager.
    We waited about 20 minutes, and were laughing about the "wait". The guy came back with some "big wig" who took over the negotiations and was abolutely rude. He was talking down to us and sized us up and down. We weren't intimidated, I must add. Anyways, so the "big wig" told us that for 31,500 he can put us in a LEASE (which we were not interested in). We laughed and said no and added that we'll look around at other dealerships then. So he gave us his spiel about how other dealerships would not provide us a free loaner car during service etc, and we answered that it really doesn't matter to us. So he looked at me in the eye and said condescendinlgy : "I see that ALL you're interested in is the PRICE". An I said yes, we will not go above 31,500. He got p***ed and wrinkled up our papers and told us to have a nice day. We got up and left.
    We've bought cars before, and never have I felt so disrespected as I felt at Pye Acura in Chattanooga, TN. They used many dirty tricks you read about here such as letting you wait, raising their voice, and coercion. So over 500 bucks they lost the sale. Go figure!
    I personally don't think 31,500 was such an unreasonable number.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Considering others are paying $33k to $33.5k for an auto with Nav, your offer of $31.5k w/o nav does not seem unreasonable, unless Pye Acura is the only dealer in town and it has a monopoly. It is hard to believe Acura dealers are using such horrible sales tactics and attitude.
  • cpa4ucpa4u Posts: 136
    I just bought a TL 3 weeks ago in Nashville. I live in southern Ky and Acura dealers are very scarce around here. I was in the Chattanooga area one Saturday and went over to Pye to look at what they had. The day that I was there (about 5 weeks ago) they had the protection package listed at $895 PLUS $1,000 for some stupid market adjustment (i.e. additional dealer profit for nothing!) on all their cars. This was making the non-nav cars $35,000 per the window sticker.

I had quotes at that time from Atlanta for $30,850 and from Memphis for $31,200. I told the sales guy at Pye these numbers and he said "we have NEVER sold an '04 TL for anywhere close to that and we don't plan to start now". So, without going any farther with negotiations, I got in my car and left.
  • miisumiisu Posts: 2
    Thanks to both kennyg5 and cpa4u for reply.
    They are the only Acura dealer in town, and I guess that's why they're acting like this. Well, we already have contacted dealers in ATL and gotten offers below what we were ready to pay at Pye.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    .. ** My guess is that the wholesale value of that car would be at least $2,000 to $3,000 under dealer cost for a new one, or more like $26,000**

===============================

I wish I could agree with you - $26,0 ..? .l.o.l. these 04 TL's are doing some strong monies at the auctions, so tell me were and when, cuz' I will buy a dozen of them, they're certainly not distressed merchandise .. depending on the dealer, area, color and options, most are in short supply, and you can't count holdback because it's certainly not a profit center, here's some info for you ..

$26.? maybe if it's had a few rounds at the K-Mart parking lot and bunches of miles before it got there ................... ;)

Terry.

08/04/2004 CEN FLA $ 29,900 6,319 2 BLUE 6G 6 X SE
    08/10/2004 DFW $ 29,500 7,380 GOLD 6G A X SW
    08/12/2004 CHICAGO $ 29,000 7,704 BLACK 6G A X MW
    07/15/2004 MANHEIM $ 30,600 8,395 SILVER 6G A X NE
    07/16/2004 MANHEIM $ 27,800 9,038 PRLWHITE 6G A X NE
    07/23/2004 MANHEIM $ 26,000 9,325 BLACK 6G A X NE
    08/10/2004 DFW $ 32,000 9,513 RED-R522 6G A X SW
    08/10/2004 DFW $ 27,250 9,597 GLD-YR53 6G A X SW
    08/04/2004 CEN FLA $ 28,700 10,059 GRAY 6G A X SE
    07/13/2004 DFW $ 31,000 10,323 BLUE 6G A X SW
    07/13/2004 DFW $ 30,000 10,326 BLUE 6G A X SW
    08/10/2004 DFW $ 31,500 11,290 WHT-NH68 6G S X SW
    07/21/2004 LOUISVLL $ 33,400 11,964 BLACK 6G A X MW
    07/13/2004 FAAO $ 29,600 12,794 BLUE 6G A X SE
    07/21/2004 CEN FLA $ 29,300 13,125 2 PEARL 6G A X SE
    07/13/2004 FAAO $ 27,700 13,571 SILVER 6G A X SE
    08/10/2004 DFW $ 31,500 14,913 GOLD 6G A X SW
    07/21/2004 LOUISVLL $ 33,000 15,036 BLUE 6G S X MW
    07/21/2004 DALLAS $ 26,400 15,222 GREEN 6G A X SW
    07/21/2004 LOUISVLL $ 32,700 16,778 GRAY 6G A X MW
    07/21/2004 LOUISVLL $ 33,250 16,923 BLACK 6G A X MW
    07/21/2004 LOUISVLL $ 30,300 18,121 GOLD 6G S X MW
    07/13/2004 FAAO $ 30,000 18,606 GOLD 6G A X SE
    07/13/2004 DFW $ 27,500 26,913 SILVER 6G A X SW
    Well I can't sell you a dozen, but I could possibly sell you mine.

What, as a dealer, would you pay for a mint condition 2004 TL anthracite/ebony 6 speed w/ HPT and 4,100 miles? If it's $31,000 or more (the equaivalent to the $28,950 deal for a non-nav auto), then we may have a deal.

Part of my point was that, at least based upon my experience, most dealers significantly discount slightly used cars as trade-ins. I'm sure you've heard the "you lose 15-20% driving the car off the lot". And yet, they try to sell them for a nominal discount under what the actual prices for a new one go for (in the case above, about 6-7% less, given that one could pick up a new non-nav for about $31k fairly easily now). As such, if I made up my mind that I would accept a nearly new used car, I'd look for a private seller to split the difference.

P.S. I am happy with our TL, but my wife and kids don't like the seat comfort for longer drives. After a ride in a friends new 545i, it is a tempting, albeit expensive upgrade. And the sport seats are the most comfortable I've sat in, bar none. Even the rear seats are much more supportive.
    ........ I'm sure the prices will be coming down as more and more hit the market, but right now, they have sold "around" 50,0 units and demand is probably "around" 75,000+ .. that being said, Acura's have always had a big resale value, super clean super nice 02's with low miles are doing the strong $18's - good vehicles get good prices .....

$31 ..? can't help ya there, everything was going your way until that *6 speed* part raised it's ugly head, now your talkin' that $26,0 range, that's a small market and they're hard to sell ~ new or used ... also keep in mind for future reference, Nav systems are convenient and some folks really have a need for them and enjoy them on a daily basis, then it's worth the extra money .. but as far as resale value, they're worth about $500ish at trade time ........ :)

Terry.
    Interesting comments.

When shopping for the TL in April/May, the best I could do in terms of a navigation equiped car in the DC area was $500 off MSRP. A non-Nav could be easlily had for $1,500 off MSRP. That made the effective difference between a nav and non-nav vehicle about $3,000. I wouldn't have paid that much myself - I ended up negotiating a deal out of state for $1,000 over invoice on any TL, and picked the navigation one. In 10 weeks, it's convinced me it was a very good decision. I would much sooner part with a sunroof than the navigation system, given the option.

As for 6-speed vs. auto, a similar story. The 6-speeds were hard to come by and, therefore, nav equiped 6-speeds were even harder to get a deal on in the DC area. We'll have to see about resale, when the time comes. In the case of the BMW the market value for manual transmissions is definitely higher than for automatics in my area, at least in the 330ci, M3 and even the 540i arena. The 6-speed only M5 has one of the highest resale values of any premium sedan out there. Even my lowly 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed seemed to have a higher resale than the automatics. However, Acura clearly doesn't have BMW's reputation for being a "drivers car" (and maybe not even the previous Maxima's), so the 6-speed may indeed limit resale on the TL.

On the "strong $18's" being a good resale value for a 2002 TL, I'm not sure I agree. I traded my 2002 S2000 (6-speed only) for $22.5k and could have sold it privately for $24-25k+ if I wanted to go through the hassle. It cost within a few dollars of what a friend's 2002 TL-S cost. He was recently offered $17.5k on trade in from his Acura dealer on a new 2004 TL. He has a few more miles on his TL-S than I had on my S2000 (28,000 vs. 18,500) but his tires are still very good and my rears were in need of replacement.

I would define good resale as my marketing director's experience with her 1999 E300 Turbodiesel she just sold upon delivery of her new E320 CDI. She had paid $43,000 in late 1998 and put 78,000 miles on the car. Was offered $20,000 on trade-in; but had no problem selling it for $24,000 privately with one ad in the Washington Post.
  • My wife and I test drove both the manual and the AT today, and we'd prefer the manual. I know the MSRP prices are the same for both...are dealers charging more for manual/nav than for at/nav because of the scarcity?
    pyranhamd,

I think pricing is a local supply / demand situation. Dealers in the DC area were unwilling to deal much on ANY navigation equiped model back in April. However, by buying out of state at a small dealership that was willing to order a car specifically for me, they didn't care which one it was, auto or 6-speed, nav or not. By the way, I recommend getting the HPT upgraded tire package if you go with the 6-speed (not available on the automatic). Combined with the Brembo brakes and stiffer suspension, it is a noticably tighter handling car than the automatic, IMO.

rroyce10,

I forgot to mention that after a recent oil change, my Acura service manager congratulated me on getting the 6-speed. He had a Legend GS 6-speed which he recently passed down to his daughter. 225,000 miles and counting on the original clutch. He advises friends and family against Acura automatics, based upon the recent hisory and continued uncertainty as to whther they have really fixed the problems (he has already had one transmission failure of an early 2004 TL). In his words, the 6-speeds are "bulletproof" transmissions, not to mention a hell of lot more fun to drive.
  • Got a firm quote today of $32,800 for a 6MT with Nav (Anthracite/Ebony). Needless to say, unless they really try to lowball my trade, they've got a deal! The next best quote was about $33,500.
  • pikachupikachu Posts: 6
    how much over invoice is this, is this worth buying since it's approx 2.5k under MSRP, maybe an 05 with 1k discount in december is a better deal.
  • tracyktracyk Posts: 1
    When you mentioned TTL, was that 33,000 for the Acura and then you paid an additional price for your TTL? Were you charged any type of admin fee? I have heard that dealers will give you a price, then tacked on an admin fee and whatever else.
    I have also been looking in the Chicago area.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    you guys are right....the A-spec is not really that useful of a package...

I read in Car & Driver that it only improves the handling by a miniscule amount...from 0.89 to 0.90g . There is no engine mods...and the car kinda rides bumpy and firm. God forbid if you are in the rear seats on a long trip. My mother in law almost threw up ( hey, so the A-spec IS useful, eh ? :) ). joking.

I think it is a profit vehicle only. we got it cause the price was right, and there was no wait, and it was what my wife wanted....

It does look nice...
  • Invoice is $32,120 so my quote was exactly $700 over invoice. I actually ended up going with the hometown dealership (Baierl, Wexford PA) at a price of $33,600. They gave me almost $1000 more for my trade than anyone else offered. On a side note, I got an email this morning with a quote of $32,650, so the prices are definitely starting to drift towards invoice.
  • I live in the Philadelphia area and am looking at a TL. Just curious whether you received quotes from any dealers in the Philly area?
  • rsr152rsr152 Posts: 9
    pyranhamd, can you tell what dealer it was who quoted 32650 for a 6MT w/ Nav? Thanks in advance.
  • hubertyhuberty Posts: 4
    I am hoping to get more info about 2005 TL, specifically, any idea about the likely improvements and the availability date.

Thanks!
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    I agree that the ride in the back is kinda stiff for long drives. Especially true with the A-spec edition. However, it is not bone jarring, and can be gotten used to .

When we drove motherinlaw down to San Jose hospital, she got sick. Upon leaving, we switched cars, so my sister in law drove our new TL back to Sunnyvale, and we drove the in laws back in the 525i...which had a much smoother, softer ride. But no way am I going to trade the TL for a bimmer. The tech and convenience is just way much better in the TL, IMO.
  • The closes out your way was Apple Acura in York. Their initial quote was $33,620.
  • Lindsay Acura in Columbus OH was the one that quoted $32,650. Acura of Cleveland was the other sub 33 quote at $32,820. Hope this helps.
    It's not the ride quality my wife and kids are complaining about, it's the seating design/comfort.

In the case of the rear seats, the headrests are so poorly designed for shorter adults / kids that they push their head forward away from the seat back (even when the headrests are set back as far as possible). I've removed them altogether.

In the case of the passenger seat, my wife is 5'1" and, again, the headrest catches the upper portion of her head and can't be pushed far enough back to have her upper back and neck comfortably resting in the seat.

In my case, my back and upper legs become uncomfortable in the drivers seat after 1-2 hours. My Honda S2000 seats(made by Recaro) were far more comfortable to me, so it has nothing to do with the stiffness of the suspension. For all of the convenient gizmo's and do-dads, and general quality of engineering offered by Acura, the seats are a significant weak point, in my opinion. I'd rank the TL seats well behind the BMW 3 series & 5 series (especially their "sport seats"), as well as Volvo, Audi, and Mercedes (multi-contour). I was looking forward to an improvement over my 10 year old Nissan Maxima, but I don't think there is one.

P.S. To this day, other than the S2000, the most comfortable drivers seat I've owned was in my 1984 Toyota Supra. No power, no memory, not even leather. Just extremely supportive and well designed.
    **On the "strong $18's" being a good resale value for a 2002 TL, I'm not sure I agree.**

Thats a wholesale/auction price .. most dealers and/or private sellers will see the strong $20/$21ish figure down Retail Rd, not bad for a vehicle that sold new for the $27ish range and dealers will pay the super strong $8's for a 99 TL with 80k and sell them all day long for the strong $10/$11 range .... so what price glory.?

**The 6-speed only M5 has one of the highest resale values of any premium sedan out there** .... very true, it's stronger than the 101st Airborne in a fire fight .. that being said, it's a very well made, low production vehicle for it's market, it's a "niche" vehicle and thats a "niche" market .. depending on the area and the time of the year a M5 is a vehicle that most dealers in DC/NE area of the country will avoid til' spring, same goes for the 540's ...

See it's not the vehicles, it's the market and 80/90% of the market doesn't want the El Manual's and the ones that prefer it for the long run do fine .. but what happens is 10/20 months down the road they get traded "early and often" from the ones that "thought" they wanted one - thats the difference .......... ;) ... of course the market gets loaded-up and dealers are lookin' down the barrel of a large used unwanted inventory of expensive handshakers, and the "pure" driver takes the beating ....

Terry.
  • Received a quote of $33k even for an 04 TL anthracite/ebony AT w/ NAVI. Dealer is also throwing in: oil change for life, VA inspection for life, floor mats, wheel locks, loaner cars for service waits over 2 hrs. How's that deal compare to what others have received / heard of? I'm a bit skeptical since the 05's are coming out shortly.
    That's pretty good, considering it's a Virginia (DC area?) dealer. I got the anthracite/ebony 6-speed w/ HPT for $33.3k, but had to go out of state in May. As far as waiting for the 2005, that may make sense, if you plan on selling /trading in less that 4-5 years. You shouldn't have to pay too much more for a 2005 and you will have a one year newer car come trade in.

The other "goodies" are nice, but I wouldn't put a big value on them. And floor mats are standard.
  • Received a quote of $33k even for an 04 TL anthracite/ebony AT w/ NAVI. Dealer is also throwing in: oil change for life, VA inspection for life, floor mats, wheel locks, loaner cars for service waits over 2 hrs. How's that deal compare to what others have received / heard of? I'm a bit skeptical since the 05's are coming out shortly.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    It's not "free oil changes for life". You have to buy their service packages (which are a fortune) to get the "free" oil changes.
  • Nope...it's really free oil changes. I have to bring it to that specific dealer but it doesn't cost me any extra for any service package.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    Does the free oil changes only apply to the oil changes between every 7.5K miles (like 3.5K)? You'd still have to pay full prices for the 7.5Kx services right?