Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jtrestenjtresten Member Posts: 7
    I just got a quote for TL with Navi/ $32,300, in NJ (Princeton). Although, I live across the river in PA, I called the PA dealer and they wouldn't budge off of $33,500. Not sure what the deal is with this yet.... Something seems fishy. :confuse:
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    When you call back to NJ, ask them if that includes the destination charge... If you can get that price, you should be there... but, I'm thinking there will be other fees...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Me too, that is what scares me. Another dealer further away though here in PA gave me a quote of $32,500. Includes Destination.... :sick:
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Excellent advice delmar1, I would also subscribe to Consumer Rerports and subscribe to the Car Buyers Guide. You get info on what a dealer pays for a car, wholesale, holdback, invoice etc, and lot of other info. Then you are ready to deal!! :P
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    I purchased my '05 TL in December '04. AHFC was offering 2.9% for up to 60 months through 1/5/05 I believe.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    rtchinrtchin Member Posts: 10
    Just got back from the dealership. Glendale Acura, very pleased with them. I did shop around, but when all was said and done Glendale was just about where everyone else was. Maybe a few hundred bucks more. I got a lower quote from two other dealerships, but they weren't very profesisional, polite, etc. The internet sales manager is the way to go. $32,100 was my final price, included wheel locks, trunk tray (didn't want the splash guards). OTD was $35,100 (frickin Los Angeles sales tax). Though i probably could have gotten it a little lower elsewhere, i felt very comfortable there, no hard sales, no sleazey stuff. I'm set to pick it up tomorrow after they detail it for me. Tonight will officialy be the longest night of my life.
  • Options
    nolegsnolegs Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up a TL and was wondering what people were paying in terms of car insurance. I know it varies based on your record, but I just wanted to get a rough idea of the range. Mine is coming out to about $150 a month.

Thanks.
  • Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Whoa! I am paying something like $990 a year. Half the cost you are.
  • Options
    oneoverzerooneoverzero Member Posts: 4
    We are paying right under $500/year for our 05 TL.
  • Options
    risa00risa00 Member Posts: 17
    I'm about to send off my email to the dealerships so we can buy at the end of the month, but I was wondering what the invoice prices are for wheel locks, splash guards, and trunk tray. Does anyone have this information or can point me in the right direction? Thanks!
  • Options
    Good Question. The Dealer that gave me the $33,500 price said that it includes wheel locks, and the trunk tray package that has mats and other things too. I did see on one of the sites that they had the dealer price, but I have on idea what invoice on those would be.
  • Options
    galacticgoatgalacticgoat Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2005 TL (silver/quartz) with floor mats, splash guards and first service visit thrown in. We settled on about $33,250 and I was OTD at $35,550, which included 6% NJ sales tax and a few small fees. The car is scheduled to be delivered to the dealer over the weekend. I can't wait!
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that I got the Navigation System with the car.
  • Options
    Best way is not to consider what is the dealer's price for the accessories...but what the cost would be for you the consumer to purchase.

Go look at one of the sponsors here....believe it is HandAaccessories.com. Consider buying the car without the accessories if you cannot work out the deal with the extras. Or you could always get the price of the car...then gross up for the accessories...and that is why you will pay.

As a rule of thumb if you want to ballpark it...the wheel locks, trunk tray and mats would probably cost the dealer about $150-200. Really mouse-nuts in the grand scheme of what you are negotiating.
  • Options
    It's really more the point of it. I don't understand why 2 nearby dealers are offering close to $1,000 less than this particular dealer. I don't live nor do I drive in an area where I am going to need wheel locks or am I ever going to need to use a trunk tray. But $200 is not a big deal, you are correct. I checked the other dealers, and they have Anthricite/Ebony for 32,500 & 32,300. I am going to buy from either of them. It's a shame though, because I really liked the sales guy at this one in particular. But, $1,000 is an extra $1,000 in my pocket.

:mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • Options
    joephamjoepham Member Posts: 5
    I'm assuming this price is with navigation
    What was the dealer's name that gave you at this price 35100 otd
    i'm looking to buy one by tomorrow
    thanks
    Joe
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I had a similar experience, I really liked the sales guy, he even spent about a half hour after the test drive to show all the bells and whistles in the TL. But they were about 500 more than another dealer, so I just had to go with the cheaper dealer.
  • Options
    laydilaydi Member Posts: 9
    FYI- The following is from a series of emails exchanged between me and a dealer. After receiving a form letter type email generated because I did had not gotten back to this specific Internet Manager, I replied in this manner:

Me: I have secured competitive quotes and I'm looking to purchase the '05 5AT Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi for $31,000 + TTL (approx. $34K OTD). I understand that this is a below invoice deal. Please let me know if you can accomodate this pricing. Please know that I am interested in negotiating the price via email prior to going to any dealership.

Dealer's response: $31,000 without navigation

Me: Invoice for non nav is $30,700 including destination and that doesn't take into account the holdback of almost $1000 so I would expect $29,700 without nav and $31K with nav.

Dealer's response: We'll then good luck with your search. We do not sell cars less than invoice. I'm sorry but we need to run this business right in order to keep it running for our thousands of customers. If you change your mind we will be here.

Did I say something out of pocket here? Mind you McGrath Acura of Westmont has been listed here as a less than favorable dealer so I'm not too miffed. ;)
  • Options
    laydilaydi Member Posts: 9
    All of my communication has been with the Internet Managers. I also picked up the Car Buyers Guide through Consumer Reports and attempted to use it to further negotiations (see above post). Much appreciation again for the helpful hints. :)
  • Options
    nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Wow!! congrats on the base price of $32100.... that's definitely a good price for the car.... unfortunately there's not much we can do about sales taxes there ...ouch!
    But I've heard that even if you bought the car out of state, the "welcome to California" fees are pretty high...
  • Options
    well when it comes to insurance it depends on a lot of things such as your age, your driving record and experience, your credit and claim history, your bargaining skills and discount scratching abilities, how many cars you got, what other insurance you have with the company, where you live, and even if you have ever taken a defensive driver class.....and oh yeah... what kind of coverage you want. If you are leasing your TL, most likely need full coverage, which would mean a higher insurance rate.

For me, I'm 30 and live in TX, and just got insurance at $55/mth with Safeco (6 mth policy as standard in TX). But for those in OR, CA or Canada, I would recommend Wawaneesa. I had this company when I lived in CA and prices where good, and I hear that services are good to.... I just wish they operated in TX!!
    I would stay away from Allstate... yeah the one with the "helping hands" logo... I found them to be pretty pricey, but that doesn't mean it will be for everyone either.
  • Options
    Laydi... glad you are on the 'road' towards the purchase of a TL.

Your primary question is whether you were out of line with your approach. I don't believe you were 'out of pocket' as you truthfully communicated your desires based upon your research.

**You stated you want a TL nav AT in a specific color...which is good
    **It appears that the Internet Mgr is countering and indicating $31,000 w/o nav.
    **My recommendation is to be in contact with the Internet Mgr and indicated that you are thankful for his price indications of $31k for a non-nav...but you would most appreciate the pricing of a nav TL. (I am going to guess that the price will be $33k as the nav will go for about $2k above non-nav).
    **What you really need to be in contact with MULTIPLE Acura dealers and working the same deal. Get bids...then work them against one another...professionally. Be kind and be curious in that communication ("oh geez...thanks for your bid...but I received a bid of $xx. How could we further discuss....)

Ok...other suggestions...
    ** In your other conversations...I would suggest for future car purchases and other negotiations (fyi...I negotiate a lot of contracts as I oversee the Finance/Acct Dept of a sizable entity)...allow the first party to provide the initial pricing...so you can better gauge their initial stance.
    **You 'unfolded' your knowledge of invoice price too soon. And you really released your knowledge of the holdback way way too soon. Those are your silver bullets you want to use after you get the salesperson to the rock bottom pricing where the deal is at a stall. Talk price further before you lay out your specific knowledge. You want to use the line of "my friend bought a TL Nav for $32k and I would like to receive the same deal"
    **Attempt to avoid the hard line stance of "I will pay only $xx or nothing". All that does is set the negotiation up for a polarized "deal" or "no deal" and doesn't allow for any finesse.
    **Remember...treat the salesperson like a friend...but know he isn't your long term buddy. Just keep talking honestly and well and see where it goes.
    **Don't try to squeeze blood out of stone. If you are satisfied with the pricing...go with it. Don't think you have to get the lowest possible price ever seen on these boards. May not be worth spending 5 hours to save $100 (some may disagree and shoot me on this board).

You are doing good...keep up your great work. Soon you will be on the road with a TL. [btw...you are welcomed for what I hope is assistance in your purchase. I do wish you the best in your purchase experience. Let me know if I may assist further]

???anybody else here on the board with suggestions to help Laydi ??? Or anybody think I am wrong with any of my suggestions...I am open for refinement.
  • Options
    golferheregolferhere Member Posts: 27
    HI there-- I must say that you are on the right track, but may have said a little too much a little too quickly. Do treat them like a friend, and realize that they are probably not going to sell you a car at the actual price they paid for it, after holdback. Pricewise, you are shooting for much lower that I have ever seen, at least on these boards. You are about $500 less on a non-nav, and $1000 less on one with navigation. You are a little low in your pricing goals. Keep in mind that these are still hot cars (even if it is towards the end of the month, and even though the 06's are not too far off), and also that the dealership should make at least a few bucks. They know that there are plenty of idiots out there that will still come in a pay $500 under MSRP. Good for you for looking for a TL, and good for you if you find a dealer somewhere that will do that pricing for you. Spend a few extra bucks, and go get a TL now, rather than waiting a while just to save a few hundred.......my opinion......
  • Options
    brickyardboybrickyardboy Member Posts: 3
    I see reference to a holdback, but don't see the details anywhere. Is it known that dealers are getting a $1000 holdback on TLs now? So the "true" invoice price for a nonNAV is as far as we can tell:

29734??
  • Options
    I agree with golferhere. I spent an hour negotiating with my dealer. He finally got into the ballpark of what I was looking for -- about $200 more than my "target." I was looking at a base price of 33,000 for the TL with Navi. He got to 33,200 and threw in a few extras, gave me my first oil change for free, etc. After thinking a while, I decided to accept $200 more than my target -- it wasn't worth the extra negotiating at that point. And I left the dealership happy. Now I just have to wait for the car to be delivered on Monday!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    You are asking for a deal at dealer cost...invoice minus holdback.. I'm not surprised that they aren't jumping up and down trying to sell you a car....

Have you seen any posts on this board remotely close to the numbers you are asking for? I recall someone getting around $32,500 for a NAV equipped car.. Which I believe is right around invoice.. That would be a great deal..

Everyone wants to get their car as cheaply as possible.. but, if you are intent on getting the greatest deal ever, you are likely to be disappointed..

Most dealers feel they are wasting their time, if the customer doesn't seem to have a realistic idea of price.

Also, there is no point in communicating to the dealer what his costs are... He knows his cost..

I don't think the dealer was rude... He just chooses not to do business at your number..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Laydi...I think you are seeing others reiterate my comment of trying not to squeeze the blood out them.

Again...if they are saying about $31k for a non-nav...then I am anticipating they would say $33k for a nav TL. So you are within the strike price of getting a deal.

I believe kydfx also is reiterating the concept of not unfolding your cards too soon and discussing their costs. Also...that could be a detriment as you really don't know their real and true costs.

Again...my recommendation is to get their pricing for a TL navigation (they only quoted the non-nav). See where they are at...and then go from there. And make sure that you know what is included in the quoted price...whether it includes destination...and if it includes the 'protection package' of wheel locks, trunk tray, splash guards.

Good luck....you are getting there.
  • Options
    lalacaliflalacalif Member Posts: 5
    Those are great recommendations that delmar1 made for laydi.

Laydi...I am also female. I believe what delmar1 recommended should work out for you.
  • Options
    rich48rich48 Member Posts: 21
    I thought I got a pretty good deal but now realize I left a few things out in my negotiating. I recently purchased an 05 tl with nav for $33,100 which I though was a good deal and the dealer gave me the KBB price for my 00tl trade. My price didn't include the destination fee or the $198 dealer charge for documentation. With the tax and registration fee my total out the door price was $35574.70. Not bad but I think I may have been able to do better. The car is a total joy..I really can't see why anyone would spend more money on any other car!
  • Options
    minspaminspa Member Posts: 10
    Laydi,
    See my post No. 3718 describing the process my wife and I used to buy our TL a month ago in NorCal. In scanning these boards over the past few months it appears that the best deals folks have gotten on 05 TLs with navi are in the range of $31,900 to $32,300 [destination is included in these numbers] + TTL. Some are able to get wheel locks, trunk tray and splash guards included at those prices. We got ours for $32,200 + TTL (with those extras thrown in). We were shooting for anything under $32,500. [Not all regions of the country are equally agressive in pricing. The more dealers near where you are, the better.]

I agree with what others have said, dealers usually don't respond that well to a buyer asking for the car at cost (i.e. invoice minus the $1,000 holdback). In our case, we emailed every dealer within a 90 minute drive, told them what car we wanted (and what we wanted included in the deal), that we were serious buyers (i.e. buying that week) and wanted them to quote us their best price. From that list, we followed up via phone with the ones who appeared eager to play ball and started playing them off each other (not by telling them what we wanted them to pay but by informing them that we were gathering offers and that they needed to truly quote us their lowest price). If they start hassling you about needing to make a profit, that's when you can mention that you know what invoice and holdback are, and that other dealers are willing to sell at or below invoice.

Just before our email barrage, we test drove the car at our local dealership, built a relationship with a salesperson and told him that we we're buying in a few days and would be in touch. After getting good prices via email and phone, we went back to him and gave him the chance to match the best offer we got and he did. Good luck!
  • Options
    joephamjoepham Member Posts: 5
    i went to 4 dealerships in so cal, thomas acura, weir canyun acura, cerritos acura, and acura of glendale. Thomas, weir canyun, and cerritos wouldn't even go below an OTD price for a nav of 35500. It's funny how they kept saying they would lose money and stuff like that. Cerritos especially. they didn't have the nav with my color and offered 36k otd. A little too high comparing to everyone.
    I bought my TL at glendale for 32100 + TTL. This is by far the lowest price and i'm happy about the decision.
    ps...for the dvd audio, is there a program to burn music on dvd that would play in the TL...

Joe
  • Options
    sl1288sl1288 Member Posts: 57
    I read your posts from July 20 and I am going to buy a TL this week. Since I'm in your area, I'm curious how your sale went and how much you ended up paying for the car and from whom. I'm looking for the TL without the Nav and with a 6 speed.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your purchase...you will have many happy miles with the TL.

As for burning a DVD-A. Well...I know you can burn a 'regular' CD through a "CD-Rom" burner. Burning a DVD-A would require a 'dvd burner' from what I understand. But at the same time...that would require the source disc already to be in the dvd-a format. You would not be able to go from 'regular' cd to 'dvd-a'.
  • Options
    socalmikelsocalmikel Member Posts: 10
    I sent a slew of e-mails out last night to dealerships across SoCal. Santa Monica came back with the lowest quote, $31,695, for a TL with Navi. Keyes wouldn't even give me a counter when I told them about Santa Monica's price, saying, "No thanks; good luck."

Glendale came in at $32,300. Acura 101 West initially was number three at $32,500. I spoke with the internet sales manager this afternoon. He lowered his price, and I told him he was now in second place. He asked who had the lowest price, and when I told him, he said, "I'll beat that: $31,600."

I went to the local dealer to given them a shot at matching the price (keeping the tax dollars local), but the best they'd do is $32,625.

We'll be driving to Calabasas tomorrow to pick up an Anthracite with Ebony Navi for $31,600 +TTL.
  • Options
    I believe the new version of NERO can burn music on DVD Audio.
  • Options
    That's a pretty good deal socalmikel! For that price it would be worth traveling to Calabasas. So how much you anticipate to be your OTD price for the TL w/nav?
  • Options
    I don't really know what the final damage will be, but I'll tell you when the deal's done.
  • Options
    flyaway123flyaway123 Member Posts: 9
    Wow! Best price I've seen to date. Is the vehicle AT or MT? Does that price include destination?
  • Options
    I know -- I've been lurking for a long time, and I was surprised, too. The sales manager said Honda miscalculated and ramped up production, flooding the market at the end of the model year. This was indirectly confirmed by the salesman at the other low bid dealership, who said they usually have 70 cars on the lot, but currently have 200, on which they're paying one point above prime.

The car is AT, and the price includes destination.
  • Options
    flyaway123flyaway123 Member Posts: 9
    Tell your sellperson I'll take one too. I wish I were in the SoCal area. What accessories and options were included (ie Protection package, wheel locks, etc)?
  • Options
    Trust me, this is the *only* good thing about being in SoCal. The price is for the car alone.
  • Options
    socalbyrsocalbyr Member Posts: 15
    Wow! That's a good price. We went to Calabasas last weekend to test drive the TL and our quoted price for the car was $32, 555...way too high knowing that you're gonna get it for much less. Have to fire up the emails again and get some good pricing. :surprise:
  • Options
    In my experience -- the internet is the way to go to shop around for price. But you need to be careful in terms of what is included with the car. I got online quote from one Acura dealer for 31,600 (excluding options, TTL, etc.). The deal was only good on dealer stock. When I got to the dealer, all the stock models had a bunch of extras installed at the factory (backup sensors, window etching, spoilers, etc.). They marked up these items so that my 31,600 was quickly close to 34,000. Add in the TTL and the OTD price was about 36,000.
  • Options
    Yes....you are correct that the internet is a great way to shop and to be careful in terms of what the car includes.

I suggest always to be clear and overt on exactly what you are discussing and bidding on. Make sure the discussions clearly indicate what colors, does it include destination, what factory and dealer installed accessories are included in the deal. Also...inquire into what are the dealer documentation fee (fee for writing up the paperwork)...which should be $50 or so (over $100 is way too much).

I found all my internet deals to be honest and no swapping. They have been honest...but I also keep them honest by reiterating exactly what the deal includes.

socalmikel...that is an excellent price. What community are you driving from...and which dealers were giving you the outrageous pricing you showed?
  • Options
    These are the responses we got:

$31,600 Acura 101 West

$31,695 Santa Monica Acura

$32,300 Acura of Glendale

$32,625 Gold Coast Acura

$32,795 Thomas Acura

$32,900 Acura of South Bay

$33,755 Downey Acura

"No thanks; good luck." Keyes Acura's response to opportunity to meet or beat low bid.
  • Options
    zctzct Member Posts: 1
    I am 99% certain I am going to buy an Acura TL 5A, new from a dealer. I don't really need or want Nav although I know it is 'nice.' The sticker price is around $34,100. I will be trading a 2003 Altima 2.5S, I've had since new with 68000 miles on it.

I owe $8,500 on my trade and have been offered $11,800 for it. We are about to start haggling this coming week.

So I have various questions. First off is there another car in this price range that blows the TL away, if so, why?

Will I get a better deal if I wait until near the end of August when the '06s come out?

Is it worth waiting for the '06, does anyone know if they are going to be any better?

Does anyone know anything about the '06 Altima or Maxima?

I have been approved for $40,000 @ 6% and I want to keep my payment around $500.

Comments appreciated. Thanks. ;)
  • Options
    Regarding the question "is there another car in this price range that blows the TL away".

The common comparison within the price range is the Infiniti G35. Both are fine cars and depends on what you are seeking. The G35 sedan may have more HP and RWD, but the interior is not as refined and does not have as many features/technology, the exterior is not as striking, and will cost you more to purchase and maintain (MPG of 18mpg as I understand). Overall...I consider the balance of 'sports - luxury' to be more balanced in the TL based upon my lifestyle and requirements. However...you should still check it out...it is a great car.

Other cars that are in the class include the Lexus ES (which really lacks the performance of the TL), Audi, and BMW 3-series (which will cost you much more for a similarily equiped car). Altima and Maxima are not within the same class...more comparable to the Accord or Camry.

I would check out the various forums here...as well as go the various manufacturer web sites and utilize the 'comparison' features. And ultimately...your decision should be based upon your own personal test drives.

Good luck.
  • Options
    risa00risa00 Member Posts: 17
    You're right! I sent a request to Santa Monica and they came back saying this "This quote is for a 2005 Acura TL. The MSRP on this car is $35670.00 (including the destination charge). Your Special Internet Price from Santa Monica Acura is just $31555.00 price good till end of the month (including destination charge and mud guards)!"
  • Options
    tab13tab13 Member Posts: 3
    What is this $1,000 holdback I keep reading about? I have a quote to buy at 34,600 for TL with navi out the door and they make it seem like I am breaking their backs. :P
  • Options
    I spoke with the Internet sales manager at Santa Monica last night to tell him that I'd be going with Acura 101 West, who undercut him by a hundred bucks. Based on your post, it looks like Santa Monica has come down $45 under Acura 101.

I just wrapped up the purchase: Anthracite/Ebony Navi, OTD $34,221.

Great car, great deal. The experience at Acura 101 West was painless, and they didn't monkey around with the numbers at all.