Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Acura TSX

1161718192022»

Comments

• exfhp50exfhp50 Posts: 8
    Ahh I see, thank you.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    As Elroy says, it is important to change the timing belt when it is due. It is just a regular maintenance item. You are talking a major repair bill if it breaks. Most folks also change the water pump at the same time since everything is already apart and it doesn't add that much more to the cost.

My 95 EX I4 that my son drives has a timing belt and I pushed it during one interval but with 230k miles, I try to stay on top of those things now. :shades:
  • milo57milo57 Posts: 16
    Within the past two weeks I've test driven 3 different 4 cylinder '08 cars: an Accord Coupe, an Altima Coupe, and a TSX with 5 speed auto.

The Altima had by far the best low end acceleration, and the Accord by far the worst. The TSX had the best handling, and the Accord the worst.

Having owned Hondas in the past, I was disappointed in the Accord. As far as '08 is concerned, Honda has been out-engineered.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "...and the Accord by far the worst"

By far? That's interesting, and surprising. The power and torque ratings, and curb weight of the '08 Accord and TSX are so similar. I wonder how the heavier '09 TSX would fare against the Accord 4 cylinder?
  • Recently traded my 03 Accord for the new TSX. The Accord was a V6 with 150,000 miles on it. (Received $8000 on a trade.) There TSX is just a blast to drive and the difference in power is only noticable when you want to act crazy. Co-worker has the new 08 Accord (4 cylinder). She drove my TSX and stated the TSX "felt" faster.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    by the time, my lease is up, I plan on getting the TSX!

It has the paddle shifters right?
    Yes it does. No manual shifting via the console shifter though.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    For a second I read that as no manual transmission for the TSX. I thought I was going to have a come-apart! :P
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I thought I was going to have a come-apart!

Is that something like a (mental) break-down? ;)
    Haha, yes it is. Come-apart, meltdown, conniption, and tantrum could all be used in the same place. :D

That must be an Alabama-only term.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Come-apart

Could you see thegrad's parents?.... "Oh look, dear, here's a leg and there's an arm over there. So far we've only found eight fingers though."
    :shades:
    An "arm-and-a-leg" is a whole 'nother story!

:D
  • exfhp50exfhp50 Posts: 8
    So I drove both and chose the TSX and I absolutely love it. I've been averaging 29-30 mpg but know it'll do better.
    I take it you compared the TSX to a 4 cyl Accord? What, in your opinion, is the MAIN difference between the 2, or the key factor that tipped the scale in favour of the TSX?
  • gyushergyusher Posts: 67
    . I wonder how the heavier '09 TSX would fare against the Accord 4 cylinder?

I can't answer that but I can speak to the 4 cyl Accord.

I bought an 08 EX-L 4 cyl coupe 3 weeks ago now. With right at 1K on the clock I can tell you she doesn't even feel like the same car. Much more fun to drive now after she has 'loosened' up a bit.

She's starting to feel like a very nice smooth car. I think I would even call her agile and quick now. While not V-6 quick, quick just the same. Gone are the feelings of straining to get going.

If the 4 cyl almost has enough power just wait till she's broke in. Big change. . .
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I own a 06 tsx with MT and nav, bought new 11/17/06. It has 57,500 miles. My mom has a 08 accord v-6, bought new 3/31/08. It has 3,200 miles. I drove it from her house in NJ to mine in NC and then back to NJ. It is a excellent car but not for me. I missed the steering wheel controls, the MID, bluetooth and the memory seats. Most of all I missed the manual transmission. I know the accord coupe has it but I prefer 4-doors.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Yep, I totally agree with you on a car being broken- in, its almost like night and day difference.

But imagine driving a 2000 sunfire, 4cyl, it certainly was slow, you really had to push down on it to move, we cannot complain about ours, it feels like a race car compared to that, I drove my friends, and was suprised on how slow it really was, I could only imagine being on the interstate with luggage or people in the car, it could possibly struggle to stay with the rest. In fact, I think it really would.

So newer 4cyl, are so much more powerful, not all, but most are now.
This discussion has been closed.