Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Acura TSX

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The last test I saw of the 4-cyl Accord had the top speed listed as 130mph, limited electronically (it's tires are only rated to that speed).

As for me, once or twice a year over 90 MPH is plenty.
  • loi177loi177 Posts: 10
    u cannot maintain 70mph constant where i live. some time u have to go below 60mph and some time acclerate to 90mph. TSX excess power and aerodymanics allow it and still manage to get over 28mpg. A/C does not have effect. TSX cost more upfront has longer warranty, better dealer service with loaner cars and complimentary car wash etc. 4 cylinder accord is too big for parking and less grip on moving on curves.
    A/C does not have effect.

Yes, it does.

some time u have to go below 60mph and some time acclerate to 90mph. TSX excess power and aerodymanics allow it and still manage to get over 28mpg.

Which the Accord can do just fine, and get better mileage in the process.
  • exfhp50exfhp50 Posts: 8
    To me it seems like the TSX doesn't hold it value as well as the Accords have. I'm not sure how much a TSX was in '04. Compare that price to what an EX V6 6 speed Accord coupe was in '04. Now, at least where I'm at, they are price in the same ballpark range 13-16k. I may consider a 4 cyl Accord coupe but I will have to drive one to see.

As far as backseat space is concerned, I don't have any kids yet so no big deal. I'm looking for that balance of performance and mpg and 28 won't cut it. I drive a bunch so it needs to last as well. Oh if forgot to mention, we are moving this weekend so I now have a 110 mi commute.

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Oh if forgot to mention, we are moving this weekend so I now have a 110 mi commute.

Ooooo, you may want to think about a Civic Hybrid (or other Hybrid) for that drive. With that kind of commute, and the price of gas now, it could pay for itself in no time.
  • loi177loi177 Posts: 10
    market price of 04 TSX with navigation in 04 was around $26K. and good conditions can still be fetched from $16 to $18K. so hardly it loses value after 4 years. and if you are driving long trip like 110 it will get around 32 to 34 mpg depeding on speed between 60 to 80mph. my overall average is 28mpg but commute is way shorter. even in SF hills with A/C i still managed 23mpg in the city. and there is no timing belt replacement at 90 to 100k miles like six cylinder accord which you will need in case of 04 model. so older TSX is better than older 04 accord. I doubt you can get similar mpg with older sixcylinder engine.
    Sounds reasonable, but from what I have been reading either car could get 32 - 34 mpg. I can't remember if I mentioned but I'm in Florida so not many hills to contend with (at least none larger than overpasses). Also, what's the deal with the timing belt in the Accord?
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Also, what's the deal with the timing belt in the Accord?

For the last several years, the I-4s don't have them but the V6s do. Is that what you wanted to know?
    So does that mean the V6 has a timing belt and the I4 has a timing chain and that there is a problem with the belt in the V6? I keep hearing about how important it is to change the timing belt in the V6 every 100k.
    The I4 has a chain, and the V6 has a timing belt. Belts get worn over 100k miles, and should be changed. I think the reason the V6 has a belt, instead of a chain, is because a belt would have to be long, and heavy due to the engine configuration, and probably be noisier. Did you ever notice how quiet the V6 engines are? I think at least part of that is due to the belt.
    Ahh I see, thank you.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    As Elroy says, it is important to change the timing belt when it is due. It is just a regular maintenance item. You are talking a major repair bill if it breaks. Most folks also change the water pump at the same time since everything is already apart and it doesn't add that much more to the cost.

My 95 EX I4 that my son drives has a timing belt and I pushed it during one interval but with 230k miles, I try to stay on top of those things now. :shades:
  • milo57milo57 Posts: 16
    Within the past two weeks I've test driven 3 different 4 cylinder '08 cars: an Accord Coupe, an Altima Coupe, and a TSX with 5 speed auto.

The Altima had by far the best low end acceleration, and the Accord by far the worst. The TSX had the best handling, and the Accord the worst.

Having owned Hondas in the past, I was disappointed in the Accord. As far as '08 is concerned, Honda has been out-engineered.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "...and the Accord by far the worst"

By far? That's interesting, and surprising. The power and torque ratings, and curb weight of the '08 Accord and TSX are so similar. I wonder how the heavier '09 TSX would fare against the Accord 4 cylinder?
  • Recently traded my 03 Accord for the new TSX. The Accord was a V6 with 150,000 miles on it. (Received $8000 on a trade.) There TSX is just a blast to drive and the difference in power is only noticable when you want to act crazy. Co-worker has the new 08 Accord (4 cylinder). She drove my TSX and stated the TSX "felt" faster.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,703
    by the time, my lease is up, I plan on getting the TSX!

It has the paddle shifters right?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Yes it does. No manual shifting via the console shifter though.
    For a second I read that as no manual transmission for the TSX. I thought I was going to have a come-apart! :P
    I thought I was going to have a come-apart!

Is that something like a (mental) break-down? ;)
    Haha, yes it is. Come-apart, meltdown, conniption, and tantrum could all be used in the same place. :D

That must be an Alabama-only term.
This discussion has been closed.