Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• without dragging out the paperwork, to the best of my recollection my deal was something like this...

Sticker price was 33,300 or 33,200 ( not sure )
    trade in for 15 y.o. olds was 1K
    downpayment of 5k
    add back in whatever tax, title and license is?
    add in approx. 1500 for extended warranty cost
    I financed 26,800..
    I can only assume that in the previous post that I was not including the downpayment or trade it or what it cost me to add in the extended warranty, since the warranty wasn't part of the cars cost, but rather something I added. Hope this clarifies it. Didnt mean to mislead.
  • Hate to admit it, but I haven't found a dealer that will beat a 3% > invoice price. What am I doing wrong (besides poor negot!). We want the Bliz Pearl, VSC, and mats,and they seem to command too many $$$. I'll travel a bit from Middle TN to save some $$'s if anyone can point me in the right direction. Appreciate the help. I'll check some of the dealers listed here, which is a great place to start.
  • bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    carhop57: Go to www.toyota.com get a list of dealers within the milege you're willing to drive---will take a bit of emailing to the internet manager--but--I'm sure you'll eventually get yoour deal. remember, there's a 3% Holdback on the MSRP--so don't feel bad for the dealer--he makes money even at invoice! Good luck!
    Bob
  • gwsgws Posts: 67
    I am a Canadian. In September 2006 I obtained by email two quotes from Phoenix dealers. Each was a few dollars over $30K for a 2007 XLS with premium audio, VSC & Trac package, extra mats, wheel locks and fender flaps - MSRP of $33374. When I began final negotiations after going to Phoenix, it became clear that the dealers were not willing to proceed - they said their franchise agreement with Toyota prevented selling for export. I called Toyota and was told they had no such policy, and that I could get from them a needed confirmation of 'no recalls' to satisfy US Customs. Back to the dealers - same story. I checked several other dealers who confirmed that Toyota said, 'No sale' to exports. One dealer agreed to discuss the runaround with Toyota regional rep, following which I had a call from Toyota Product Admin manager. He said Toyota does not 'endorse' sale for export, but was very evasive when asked what if a dealer did it.
    I did find a dealer who was prepared to sell to me, but well above the $30K mark, and insisted that I pay AZ tax in addition, although the car would not have been registered in that State.
  • gwsgws Posts: 67
    To clarify... I made clear in September my intent to export, so believe the Toyota veto may have come later.
  • I am in the market for a 2007 Ltd. and would like to hear about any good deals made in the Houston or South Texas area.
  • MSRP $27,894
    Invoice $25,539
    My price $24,912 which is $627 below invoice, but I had to pay the bs document fee of $279, so that would make it $348 below invoice, depending on how you look at it.

Car $24,912.45
    Business tax 92.77
    Document 279.00
    State Sales tax 1630.28
    Local Sales tax 80.00
    Temporarty tag 5.50
    State License 20.50
    Total 27,020.50
  • avadocavadoc Posts: 5
    2007 Avalon Touring with VSC, Sunroof, 6 disc -not JBL-
    Purchase price $28,370
    Full OTD-all fees and taxes included-:$30,600

Always alot cheaper -thousands- to buy near a major city. I bought mine in Chicago. Remember supply and demand is a major factor in the price.

I used internet to solicit bids from 20 dealers in my state. -go to the toyota website to find dealer list-

I kept a couple 'out of the loop', I walked into one and the dealer beat my lowest internet quote by another $300.

Volume dealerhips are your best chance for below invoice deals especially near the end of the month when the dealer is just 1 or 2 cars away from recieving a rather large bonus for selling X amount of cars.

I decided on the Touring model becaue it it is rather well equipped even in its base form. It does ride firmer.

Only 3 miles on odometer. Don't buy a new car that has been beaten with a couple of hundred miles on the odometer. The avalon owners manual does mention a break-in period of a few hundred miles.

Dealer experience was great.
  • Local Toyota dealership has a 06 Avalon Ltd with everything except NAV with 26K miles they'll sell me uncertified for $26,900. Certified is $27,500. Is this a good price? One weird thing is the car has no owners manual.
  • Ended up buying an 06 Avalon XLS with NAV, VSC, JBL pkg, 16K miles for $25,900.00. A good deal? I think so.
  • skb123skb123 Posts: 13
    Avadoc, Congratulations on buying a new car. Will you please post the dealership name and the MSRP of your Avalon? Thanks
  • I purchased my Avy XLS from Crown toyota in Ontario and got, what I would consider a pretty good deal. 27.7 before tax licence with jbl synthes sys and remote starter otd price was 29.4. They are selling XL Avy's on ad this weekend for 23,695. So if anyone has been looking, this seems to be a good deal.

Only reservation I had dealing with them is, they suck in terms of customer service! Not rude but just not knowledgeable. If you place customer service high on your list, I wouldn't reccomend, however, if your going in to get a car at a certain price and don't care about what they have to say, they can't be beat on their Avy's because they have them on ad quite a bit. So I am passing this along if anyone has been looking. :)
  • MSRP W/O options: $29125
    6-disc: $200
    Sunroof: $910 -sunroof is a worthless item-
    VSC: $1090.0
    Floor Mats: $199

Delivery Fee: $580.00

The sticker shows MSRP TOTAL: $32,104

The second lowest price I got from Schaumberg Toyota.

I purchased in Chicago -leaves only a few for your own due dilligence-

Good luck.
  • gws,

I ran into similar unwillingness from dealers south of the border.

Probably would be solved by getting a temporary US address and a US bank account, in a different state to avoid paying local taxes.

A definite inconvenience, but could save you several thousand for the same car, or allow you to get a Limited not available in Canada.

How come you were looking for a 2007 XLS, how is your 2005 XLS doing?
  • I didn't pick a Limited, as any specific replacement parts needed might involve long waits for Canadian delivery. My 2005 XLS has only about 16,000 KM and is going to a family member (whose 2002 low-KM Camry goes to another family member). We play musical cars in this gene pool. I have not had to trade in or sell in the market any of my gently used vehicles since 1974 - there's always a relative in line and in need.
    The 2005 Avalon is an excellent car, one of the five Toyota/Lexus vehicles I have driven exclusively for the past 26 years. I considered the Lexus LS460 to replace my 1998 GS400, but decided the Avalon is better value. I was interested to learn that the 2005 Avalon 3.5 litre highway fuel consumption is very nearly the equal of that 2002 4-cylinder Camry - each well-loaded at 75 mph over 2500 KM of interstate driving.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Here are some numbers for anyone in the metro Atlanta area:

2007 Limited w/Nav, the Toyoguard package and floor/trunk mats. List was $37,550., paid $34k even plus local taxes and title fees. No trade-in. Obviously, that's a discount of $3750 from list.

You can probably do a little better, but this dealer, Marietta Toyota, is the one that has done all my service ('99 and '03 Avalons) and is closest to my house. Negotiation is a pain as the sales department tries to intimidate the customer, using every offensive tactic you read here on these boards. But you only see them once. The service department, seen regularly, is really what's important and they have been very good with quality work and fair prices.

Good luck in the search....... :)
    Make that a $3550. discount...typo...to $34k even... ;)
  • saversaver Posts: 4
    talk to john mason sales manager at prestige toyota in billings montana. i just purchased a rav4 there and brought it back to alberta with no problems you should be able to save big time . montana has no sales tax. saver
  • wbb56wbb56 Posts: 38
    The invoice for the Avalon I want (Limited w/Nav, Stability, Dynamic Cruise, XM) is 33,000. I plan to offer $34250 + $625 destination. Is this a reasonable offer?

Thanks!
    wbb56: Remember, the dealer gets a 3% Holdback on the vehicles MSRP. So on a vehicle with an MSRP of $30K he automatically makes $900 even if he sold it to you at invoice. Best way to figure if your offer is a good one--first take 3% of the MSRP and then subtract the invoice price from what he'll sell you the vehicle for. Example: MSRP $38500 times .03%= $1,155. Say he'll sell the car to you for $35K--the invoice is $33K----he just made $2K plus the $1,155--not to bad for the dealer!! Work the figures backward from the 3% Holdback and then see if you have a "sweet" deal or not. Work as many dealers as possible against each other. Good luck!
    Bob
  • wbb56wbb56 Posts: 38
    Bob,

Thank you very much!

-Billy
    Billy---glad to help. Not surewhere you live; however, if close to a metropolitan area, go to www.toyota.com and you can get a list of the dealers in that area. You'll note that when you check a particular dealers inventory, you'll see "In Stock" and "Available." Check another local dealer and you'll notice that his "Available" vehicles match those of the other dealer! This is because all the dealers in that area can draw from the same "pool" of cars. It would be interesting to see just how much difference in the "bottom line" existed between the dealers! Good luck!
    Bob
  • I have been given access to a friend's 'fleet pricing' on an Avalon LTD. The dealer says he has to go in and look at each invoice, to give me the fleet price. Yesterday, before the local winter storm, I looked at an '07 LTD, MSRP of roughly $36,600....he said fleet price was $33,000....approximately $430 over invoice. Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment list, but hope to get it tomorrow, to compare invoice to MSRP to what he offered.

Any ideas if this is fair, and is there somewhere you can find fleet pricing info?

Thanks.
    Steve, excited to buy an '07 Avalon this week!
    My '07 Limited had an MSRP about $1k higher than the one you mention and I paid 1k more ($34k) plus local taxes, tag, etc. I thought it was fair. You might do a little better if you try as several posts indicate the dealer will get money from Toyota in addition to what the consumer pays... good luck... :)
  • zebra5zebra5 Posts: 44
    In Texas, there appears to be no such thing as an Avalon XL with stability control and no other options. I'd like to hear the "how to" from buyers who have successfully avoided overpaying for all the frivolous Gulf States Toyota distributor options. Anyone care to share recent prices paid for an XL in Texas, specifically Dallas area if possible? Or is that Extra Mile Option Pkg A really worth every penny of the $1280 list price, and I should just accept it as a cost of doing business with Toyota where I live?
  • If I may suggest:
    Don't be afraid to venture out of your area to find exactly what you want. Use services such as autotrader.com or similar. So you may have to travel a little. It could not only get you the car that "You" want but the price may be better even factoring in the travel expenses. Myself, I got a used 97 XLS with all the toys available and color I wanted. Yes I needed to do work on it. But with the work cost included, I still saved 3000.00. I paid 3100.00 for it in VA, brought it home to MA, did 1500 approx in repairs (Timing belt, cam sprockets, tensioner, water pump, 4 KYB GR2's w/ mounts, 4 tires) so 4600 lets say. The price for that car up here in New England I couldn't find less than 5000 and upwards towards 10k for the same car similar mileage (I got mine at 179k). It runs beautifully. And who's to say if those repairs haven't been done to those cars up here for 10k. So the moral is, don't be afraid to look outside your area. Sometimes it's just not there. I spent over 3 months looking for my car until I found it. As soon as I had the finances, I packed a bag, hopped into my old crap box and drove it down to Manassas, VA and traded my box in and got my baby. I'd do it again tomorrow if I found what I wanted. Trust me, it's worth it. Granted I went used but this works for new as well.

Thanks,
    Steve
    ** 97 XLS w/ All The Toys! **
    ** My Baby! **
    ** Enjoy & Long Live Your Avalon! **
  • zebra5...I do not live in dallas, but I don't live that far away either.. Shreveport Louisiana and I bought an 07 XLS also out of Gulf States Toyota...my deal was pretty close to this:

msrp $33,320
    + ttl/fees 2,300
    + ext. warr 1,595
    balance $37,215
    less trade -1,000
    balance $36,215
    less dn pay-5,000
    balance $31,215
    financed $28,000
    off msrp 3,215

the numbers above are within a couple of hundred dollars.. hope this helps.

Roland..
  • I ended up getting a pretty good deal, I think ($100 under invoice). 07 Limited, with VSC and floor mats, MSRP $35534, I paid $31652, plus doc fee (which I hate, but I was about to get divorced if I didn't give in and buy the car) and title/tire fee, plus state taxes.

According to the flakey dealer invoice, that's $100 under invoice. According to Edmunds, etal, it's $400 over invoice.
  • geo123geo123 Posts: 33
    Is it best to buy the 07 Limited with or without the VSC? I have been reading the posts regarding the transmission hesitation problem with 07 Avalon and wonder if it has anything to do with the VSC? My daughter will be buying this car and I am trying to steer her away from as many mechnical and electrical problems as possible. Her goal was to find an 07 Limited with just the mats, but most of the ones we have seen in inventory have at least the VSC. From what I have read on this Forum is to stay clear of the Navigation System and Remote Start. I would appreciate any comments!

Thanks,

George
    George: I have both nav and Remote Start on my 06 limited--WASTED $$$$--buy a Garmin GPS for about $700-$800!! Remote Start is a JOKE--only works fgrom about 100 feet--then when ya open the car dorr the motor quits--duh--makes no sense to even have it--car can't cool or warm in the time it takes ya to walk to it. VSC has nothing to do woth the tranny problem----VSC and trac Control are GREAT! Regarding the tranny--I just slide the ger shift over to the "manual" mode and after stopping or slowing down, once going I slide it back to the manual mode--NO tranny hesitation. Hope this helps and good luck with the Avalon!!
    Bob