Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Park-Like-a-Jerk Assist - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Jeep
imagePark-Like-a-Jerk Assist - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Just a warning: the 2014 Jeep Cherokee's ParkSense Rear Park Assist system might make you look like a jerk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    These systems today are what happens when auto manufacturers try and do technology stuff themselves. Fail. Reminds me of the "smart phone" systems they put in. Might've been pretty cool 10 years ago, but now in comparison to Android, is crap. Navigation systems are poor in comparison to Google Maps. Those systems average about 2.5 stars on the Play store.

I see no reason why the system can't get this PERFECTLY (and I do mean perfectly) in the middle. Lines are fixed. Vehicles are stopped. There is an exact way to get it centered. If the system can't do this correctly, how do you know it won't smack some wall or post doing it at some point in the future. Fail, fail, fail.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The only park assist I want is the kind that drops me off at the door and then searches the parking lot looking for a space on it's own. Then when I'm ready to go I can do a Michael Knight and say "I need you KITT" into my watch and have it do a tire squealing stop while simultaneously flinging the driver's door open just as I'm coming out of the exit. Sliding across the hood is optional. Until they can do that, I'm good.
  • sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2015
    I appreciate Mr. Elfalan's need to inform us little people of his superiority. Thank you for your sacrifice in lowering yourself to share your automotive brilliance with us common folk. "Park-Like-a-Jerk" indeed.

Naturally all of these safety, comfort and convenience aids, that dare to try to help those of us who are less capable drivers, should be banned. But let's not stop with park assist and adaptive cruise and lane-keeping. Let's also get rid of traction control and all wheel drive and anti-lock brakes and airbags, and while we're at it automatic transmissions and air conditioning and power brakes, steering, windows, and locks. And don't forget the electric starter....hand cranks worked just fine, thank you.

Personally, I've found the park assist in our 2015 Cherokee works very well and so far has parked us dead middle between the cars in the neighboring spaces. For incompetents like my wife and I it reduces stress and worry about when we park in unfamiliar places, places where of course we don't have spots reserved for us.