Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• I have a SE (yeah with the door rattles) but nothing else major... until now. Has anyone else experienced these:

1) Clunk/thud from rear (suspension/shocks?) when driving over rough pavement.

2) When driving at higher speed, and changing lanes, it feels like the rear "slips" away from my control for a moment (as if it hit some ice). Of course, the road is dry. It's a bit unnerving when travelling at 70 mph... again I'm not sure if there really is any actual horizontal "slippage", but it sure feels that way.
  • jack1619jack1619 Posts: 6
    I bought a Quest 5 week ago and it has been a disaster. There are so many loud rattles and creaks in the doors and seats it is atrocious. It has been back to the dealer 3 times and they can not fix it. Now Nissan corporate has forbid the dealer from doing any more work on the vehicle. They tell us they are aware of the problem and HOPE to have a fix in 60 days.

Apparently this is becoming a BIG problem for Nissan. There are many others who have similar problems. We have filed a BBB claim and Lemon Law claim and thought this would get Nissan’s attention, but they have ignored us.

I am so surprised and disappointed; I had a 2001 Pathfinder and loved it. It was a great vehicle. The Quest has many great features that we needed, but was not ready to be released, they were in such a hurry to get it to market they skipped the QA. Until Nissan recalls the Quest and fixes this problem, I would not recommend the Quest or Nissan to anyone.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    Does your SE have VDC(Vehicle Dynamic Control)?
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    Speak with a lawyer. Refusal to fix a car is a violation of Magnuson-Moss
  • User777: Yes, I have the SE with VDC. Why would this be activating on dry roads, though? Also, I haven't noticed the VDC light on the dash... thanks!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    My friend emailed below and seems the door rattle can be fixed. Try a different dealer service. . .

The only door rattled is on the passenger sliding door. I took it back to the dealer twice. So far it is not rattling but I will have to wait to see if this will last.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    sorry. i was away on vacation.

i was merely wondering if the vehicle was sensing a high yaw rate when you were quickly changing lanes. if so, i thought possibly it was retarding engine output.

i don't own a vehicle with stability control, and i don't have any expertise with the system design of this safety feature so please take my comments in that light.

however, this seems like a system behavior, that if repeatible, you should demonstrate to your dealer. if it persists, perhaps there is a fuel delivery issue or something else if not VDC.

i was just trying to think outside the box. however, with this increased complexity in engine and transmission management, coupled with the braking system, one wonders if you're experiencing a design artifact of it.

now you say you have a dash light which indicates when the VDC feature is activated? wonderful - from a human factors perspective - that just promotes head-down driving at a moment in time when you need to be totally heads-up!

arrrrrgggghhh.

a chime or a voice message would be preferable IMHO.
  • Just curious is it my car or you guys noticed this too. Lets say you are on red light and it turns green and you let go break pedal so you can press the gas pedal does the car roll buck as if its in neutral. I had lexus rx 300 and i dont remember felling this. It almost fells like a manual transmission.
  • I've had my new Quest since early Fall 2004, currently have 3900 miles, and have had door rattles from the very beginning. I've had the van in for repairs twice and am about to go back for the third time. Obviously no luck so far. Is there any one in the Chicago area that can recommend a Nissan dealer that has successfully repaired the rattling doors? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as the passenger sliding door rattles constantly - smooth or bumpy roads, warm or cold weather.
  • drssyoondrssyoon Posts: 27
    I understand how annoying the rattles are. I had them on my SE. Had the van in the shop multiple times, it was never fixed properly. The last time I had it in, they had to actually adjust the door in the body shop - my door had a visible gap where the door meets the rear quarter panel when the door was closed. They also had to replace the little panel above the door slide track and underneath the glass. Anyway, after making about 10 trips to the dealer, they finally fixed the rattle - somewhat. It still rattles occasionally, but not as bad it it used to. I think all my trips to the dealership actually caused more problems. My advice is to wait a few more months until Nissan figures out a proper fix for it. Better than having the dealer use your car their experimentation. My 2 cents...

Steve
  • djpkdjpk Posts: 12
    Well, I have a problem with my new Quest SL again. I bought it last December and am having a problem with starting the car since then. I took it to the dealer to have them look at it. They couldn't find any problem with the car. I mean they couldn't duplicate the problem I was having with the car. Whenever it decides, the car won't start. The engine starts cranking up and it stops. It happened to me many times. Most of times, I was able to start it within a couple of minutes. This morning, I couldn't start it at all. So, they towed the car. I hope they can duplicate the problem this time. This is the worst car I ever had. That's for sure. Oh, I almost forgot, the display goes belly up time to time. It doesn't display anything time to time. Who knows...
    Anybody had similar problem with your NEW Quest?

Thanks.
  • frittobfrittob Posts: 52
    Thought I had the infamous door rattling problems with my Quest SE

Brought it in to the dealer, turns out there's a striker about two-thirds of the way down on the door that wasn't seating itself in it's socket ... Mechanic loosened the socket, closed the door to realign it, then tightened it back up again ... hasn't rattled for 3+ weeks.

Hopefully others will be this lucky.
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    FOund this today:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: MFG Bulletin Number: 04034

MFG Bulletin Date: 20040308

Component: EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:RADIO/TAPE DECK/CD ETC.

Details: DVD PLAYER INOPERATIVE. NISSAN ARMADA 2004 ALSO INCLUDED. *TT

MCS Check Date: 20040407
  • rdesrdes Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with third row seat rattling. I just bought the Van 4 days ago and coming across this noise.

Wanted to find out if there was a simple fix b4 taking it to the dealer.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    What model do you have? I would check to make sure the seat is securely in place. Also check the rear vent windows to make sure they are closed properly. check to make sure the storage area door on the side is closed properly.

If that doesn't work, have someone sit back there and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If you don't hear a rattle when someone is sitting in the seat then you know it's somewhere in the seat itself. The first few items can be done in the garage.

I thought I had a rattle inthe 2nd row seat but it was coming from my son's car seat. I noticed I didn't hear the noise when he was inthe seat.
  • tridaddytridaddy Posts: 8
    Hello all,
    I think we may buy a Quest this weekend. I've called ten dealers and the best deal I got so far is invoice and the doc fee waived. I'd like to get an extended warranty but I have no guide as for price. I want one from nissan with the longest term available, deductible is negotiable. Can anyone help or steer me in the right path for this info? Thanks
    I bought my quest last December with extended warranty/7 year 100k. I paid for $995. It is called Security Plus with road side assitance.
    They have several differnt plans. You might want to look at their options and choose what you need. Good luck!
    They replaced fuel pump. I hope this would do it. In case you have or will have same problem I have. It is the fuel pump. At least, that's what they think.
  • I had the exact same problem, and dealer didn't fix it until it refused to start and they towed it. They replaced the fuel pump and it has worked find since. That was about 4 months ago.
  • bretonbreton Posts: 4
    I do find that this van does roll backwards easily when stopped on an incline and the break is let go. I noticed this more so than other automatic transmission cars I have driven. It may be because this is a rather heavy vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.