Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Posts: 35
    When you fill up the tank, you must shut down the vehicle completely. You can not leave the key in the accessory spot. The same thing happened to me when I first filled up and I took it to the dealer and of course no problem found. It took a while for the tank to read full, I mean about a full day. So I make sure that I take the key out when
    I fill up and all the gauges are shut down. I haven't had a problem since. The doors
    will always rattle a little. These vans have large openings and the body flexes when you go over bumps or driveways. No matter what the dealer does I don't believe the rattles will go away. It's a little convertables, the body flexes alot on those so there will always be some rattling.

Other then that I love this van, I take it from my wife a few times a week to drive, and I let here drive my Murano. It's just lots of fun to drive....

That's my two cents... take care
  • I installed my window ventvisor yesterday and it works great! I noticed that it cut down on wind noise considerably. For some reason the wind always seemed to hiss at the top of the driver/passenger window. Now it's gone. This is the visor that I purchased (not from this site):

http://www.sportomotoring.com/Results.html?ListID=305652961635871&ModelID=30589449078987&B- randID=304676513339068

:shades:
  • cabuckcabuck Posts: 1
    Sitting at home for second day now as my 2004 was towed to the dealer because I was unable to get the van to start. A call this morning from the dealership states that the problem is the fuel pump. I told the dealer I felt lucky as I had just gotten back from a 2,700 mile road trip the day before and had a problem the night before in Nevada with starting the van in the morning. I was able to get it to start for me after many attempts and drove the remaining 10 hour drive with no problems until I tried to start it the next morning in my driveway. The dealer did mention that a "on the road" repair has been done by crawling under the van and pounding on the gas tank with a rubber mallet.That sure sounds like a fun thing to do!
  • kcskcs Posts: 2
    I have EXACTLY the same problem in my 2004 Quest (now up to 25000+ mi). I took it to my Nissan Dealer 2 weeks ago and while it was in the shop I read your email note. So, I asked the service manager to check the adjustment of the brake lamp switch - which he said they did do, I also got the tires balanced, trying to stop the periodic vibration which occurs about every 300 - 500 miles. He contacted the Nissan Tech Support, who offered no help at all on what the cause of the periodic vibration could be/and said they had no records of this particular problem. At any rate, before I took the Quest in: at highway speeds the vibrations would last roughly 3 minutes and would become severe when the brake was applied. The vibration would go away for no apparent reason. AFTER I got the Quest back the intensity of the vibration was much less, probably down by 40 or 50 per cent, BUT the duration is longer- 12 minutes now, when the brake is applied the vibration increases, but is not as bad as it was originally. I haven't yet driven enough additional miles to see how often the vibration occurs. But one thing is clear, the problem still exists. I was asked to keep a log by my Nissan Service Manager on the vibrations (outside temperature, speed, duration of vibrations) which I am doing. He will call tech support again with any additional info I give him. Would you have any additional suggestions for me based on your experience? Is your Nissan still cured?
  • eyeblindeyeblind Posts: 156
    Hey samuelg,

Glad to here they FINALLY resolved your vibration problem. I had no vibration till just over 13,000 miles. After that, on a trip to San Diego, it quickly deteriorated. Steering wheel vibrated, the drivers seat vibrated ( at highway speed.) Even sitting in the 3rd row felt like a vibrating chair on low. I took it to the dealer to have them check the balance. They could not get the tires to balance. They didn't have a ROAD FORCE balance machine, so I took it to Discount tires. They did the road force balance, even taking off the wheel and checking the round ot the rim. They could not get two of the tires to balance ( the two rear tires.) So, I had them replace those two tires under warranty prorated for miles and over a year old. I paid $42.50 for each tire. My brief initial highway road test was positive. We will see how things go over time.
    Haven't heard the chripping sound over large bumps. The heat on the foot thing doesn't really bother me. I know it is there, but it doesn't blow hard enough for me to notice very often. I live in Phoenix and if I'm not working, I'm in flip flops 100% of the time. Not Rattles to speak of . I had a slight rattle about 5 months ago, in the drivers side sliding door. A little WD 40 and I haven't heard it for 6 months.
    I agree with you on the warm vent air with no A/C running. I don't understand how they could have messed that one up. No car I've ever had has had that problem. That being said, the A/C works fine here in Phoenix. We've had the hottest July on record.
    I'm sorry to hear you hate this van so much. I probably love this van as much as you hate it. At least your family can get some enjoyment out of it.
  • garycoxgarycox Posts: 59
    I checked with several Nissan dealers about adding the Sirrus Satellite option to my 2004 Nissan Quest, it has the SAT option on the radio. Each one quoted me more than $600! That's just too much! I see people getting full sat systems in their other brand vehicles for half that and even receivers at Walmart for less than $100 (although I realize they are not much).

I don't really want to use that FM transmitter on the portable units as I hear that they so not sound that great and can have interference.

Has anyone tried hooking up to the DVD player (I have one factory installed) A/V jacks directly and using that connection or is that possible? Would the DVD player then be on all the time in order to use that?

Anyone know of any other options, can I buy and install the SAT unit myself?
  • samuelgsamuelg Posts: 36
    Hi Eyeblind,

I guess I was in a sour mood when I last posted...my harsh feelings about this van stem from:
    1) Nissan's inept support.
    2) My back pain from driving this van.

Lately, tweaking the seat has helped & I may miraculously get it "ok" sometime soon. I readily admit I am more of the problem than the seat itself...

I highly suggest you get the wheel alignment checked since you have the new set of tires-- I had the same situation, where many of the tires could not be properly balanced after approximately 8600 miles. Good luck.

Sam
  • Does “Window lock” button have light underneath?? Today I noticed that all other buttons such as power window, door lock they all have light except “Window lock”.
  • Wow, it's amazing how similar our experiences are, not only the pattern of the vibrations, but the reaction of the service department. They too asked me to keep a log and got no help over the phone from Nissan Tech Support. I wish I could offer you some specific suggestions beyond those in my last post, but really the only way I eventually got it fixed was to take it in so often the dealer was forced to throw in the towel, admit they were clueless, and bring NTS on-site to check the problem out themselves. Like I said before, it took NTS a month to get to my van, but within two hours it was fixed. I'm coming up on 2000 miles since the fix and my Quest is running better than ever, with absolutely no hint of a vibration.

We're leaving on vacation this weekend, and I'll post any developments (I don't expect any). When I get back, if you're still having problems I can try and scan my service records in and e-mail them to you to see if that helps your dealer. Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck. I can definitely feel your pain.
  • vger105vger105 Posts: 57
    I have an'04 Quest and I bought the Delphi SkyFi from Crutchfield while they were having a sale.:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5TEgnla249c/cgi-bin/prodmenu.asp?c=18

I use the FM modulator method of receiving the signal through the car's stereo, and have absolutely no trouble with it-great reception,no static,and superb sound.
    It was incredibly easy to installand wecouldn't behappier with it.
    Let me know if I can be of further help to you.
  • swoolioswoolio Posts: 2
    My wife's 2004 Quest has received it's 4th cracked windshield yesterday. The first was simply a rock on the right side. However, 3 have all started on the lower left edge, facing the car, and therefore appear to be stress cracks. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • My wife and I recently noticed a scraping sound from the right side (sliding door?) at highway speeds on our 05 Quest SE. Is anyone else experiencing these problems? One time I discovered my son had accidentally dropped a marble outside the track of the sliding door. No encore marble appearance this time. I am having the dealership check it out this weekend.We love our Q!!! Thanks! :)
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    If you get multiple windshield failures, 90+% of the time it is a problem in installation.
  • kcskcs Posts: 2
    Thanks for your note and encouragement. Since my last note the vibration occured 3 more times (every 220 to 280 or so miles) and now lasting about 8 minutes each time-always at highway speeds (betw 60 to 75 mph), always worsening when the brakes are applied -- but not as severe as before I took the Quest in. Thanks for the offer to share the info on your service papers. I'll wait for one more occurence and then call my Nissan dealer with the info and see what he and tech support can figure out. I'll let you know what happens (if anything). Glad to hear your Nissan is still cruising smoothly, it gives me hope.">
  • toddm1toddm1 Posts: 1
    We just bought the 2005 Quest SL and we love it... with one exception. When driving at 2000 rpm (either accelerating or decelerating to), there is a vibration in the floor coupled with a louder than normal torque/rev sound. Although it's not as significant as some of the vibration problems that I have read, it's certainly annoying.

I took it back to the dealer and I drove 2 other 05 SL's and they behaved the same way. The tech told me that there is nothing in "the book" on this and there doesn't appear to be any problem with the engine or transmission. He said it appears to be "normal". For a new $30K vehicle, it's doesn't seem normal to me.

I found a Nissan Service Bulletin indicating that the 2004 SE built before January 2004, had a "booming noise and/or floor vibration at about 2,000 RPM" because a mass damper needed to be installed onto an exhaust hanger (???). Could this somehow be related?
    My feeling is that there is something that needs to be adjusted, but until they get a Bulletin from Nissan, there's nothing that can be done and I guess that would only happen if enough people complain to Nissan N.A.

I'd appreciate any info/feedback or suggestions or to find out if anyone else has experienced this.
  • billy8billy8 Posts: 11
    I own a 2005 Quest 3.5S with 3500 miles. I started to get a vibration in steering wheel upon braking also could feel the vibration at highway speed in the steering wheel. I called the dealer and got in the next day. The dealer was well aware of this problem. They used a on the vehicle rotor lathe. It took one hour while I waited. The brakes are fine now. I decided to do some research on this problem. I found why this problem occurs, lateral run out on installation of rotor. Go to www.performanceoiltechnology.com/brakingsystems.htm and read this article. It speaks of the PRO-CUT hub mounted computer controlled on vehicle brake lathe. Now go to www.procutinternational.com click on awards/evaluations, look down the list to Nissan TSB 04066. This is the only fix Nissan warranty will pay for. It seem that the rotors are of good quality, the problem is in the installation of the rotors, over torqued lug nuts etc. This Pro-Cut tool is mandated by most all major vehicle companies. The tool costs $8000.00.
  • cirrusscirruss Posts: 87
    The window lock button does not illuminate. You will find this on most Nissan. Why? I don't know, maybe it's not used often enough to jusitfy putting a bulb under it.
  • samuelgsamuelg Posts: 36
    Hi ToddM,

Check my posting, # 1409.

I know it is unusual for an out of alignment condition to manifest itself as vibration. I felt vibration up thru the steering wheel, and thru the floor. Plus a side-to-side wiggling. It made my calves shake...

My experience is, after re-balancing tires N times, and then replacing all four tires, the alignment (which did show both the front & rear whells to be out) made a dramatic improvement and ultimately fixed the problem. I have since driven over a thousand highway miles, and the van is extremely smooth.

And of course, Nissan was cluesless. They did load balancing, and diligently checked all bolted connections on the front end to see if anything was loose. But they neglected to check the wheel alignment. I did it on my nickel, on a lark while getting the oil changed at a local tire store. Best $40 I spent in a long time, plus 3 year warranty.

After thinking about it, I can see how mis-aligned wheels could cause the tires to wear, and then get out of balance. Oddly, the van tracked pretty straight on the highway, both before and after the alignment.

Good luck.

SamG
  • mgrinomgrino Posts: 1
    I have my 04 Nissan Quest for more than 6 months now and on the third month since I bought it I also noticed a vibrating noise coming from underneath the vehicle. It starts at around 2000 rpm you'll notice it everytime you accelerate. It sounds like the heat shield is vibrating. I took it to the dealer for 3 times and they keep telling me its all gone after they fix it, but everytime I drive it its still there. They even told me that the next time I bring it in, theyll have to replace the exhaust system and charge me for it. I think the vehicle is still in warranty, but I dont know why.And one thin I notice too is that a portion of my exhaust pipe is flatened. Should'nt that obstruct exhaust flow and hinder the vehicle's performance? Could anybody check their exhaust pipes if a portion is flattened and let me know coz to me it dosnt make sense. Marc.
  • army4usarmy4us Posts: 7
    I turned in my quest for good yesterday...... Nissan, only after a year of fighting with them, have bought it back under the :lemon: law. I am glad to be rid of it, and only hope that my next vehicle will not be any problems, I am not sure any can be as bad as the quest was! If you have enough problems with your 04 quest as I did, don't give up if you really want it gone. Good luck to everyone who has and are still having problems.
    :blush:
  • We have a 2004 Nissan Quest that has had the same vibration problem for awhile. We assumed poor tire balance. Last Wednesday, we took the van in to the dealer for scheduled tire rotation and got the tires balanced. Vibration didn't go away. Called dealer and they actually mentioned "warped rotors," which at the time sounded like b.s. I guess it's not!

Do I understand you to say they fixed your problem under the Quest's warranty and you didn't have to pay anything? The TSB you mention is listed as '04/'05 Titan and Armada brake judder, but all Nissan dealerships will apply this to Quests as well? Your dealer seemed to be well aware of the problem, but I don't want them to try to pass this off as something peculiar with just my van. I want to be armed with as much documentation as possible when I take the van back to the dealership Monday morning, so anything further you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
  • wman123wman123 Posts: 1
    There are two service bulletins that deal with exhaust vibration problems. I had the same sound at 2000 rpm on my 2004 SE and it was a broken bracket that holds the exhaust to the engine. The bulletin has good pictures showing good detail which bracket it is and where it is located. Its not too hard to crawl up under and see the crack. Bulletin #05021 shown at this link - http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-021.htm

The other vibration problem deals with a clearance issue with the rubber bushings and the frame of the exhaust system brackets. If the clearance is too small then the rubber bushing rubs against the bracket frame causing vibrations. They also have parts for adding a mass damper to reduce the vibration even further. Bulletin #04096 shown at this link - http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04-096.htm

The sad thing is I had to print these out and show them to the service department before they would believe that there was a problem.

I had both these performed. The noise was instantly fixed and the vibration was improved, but not fixed. I still felt the unusually high amount of vibration through the gas pedal and the floorboard around 2000-3000 rpm and they ended up replacing the entire exhaust system (under warranty of course). It helped a little, but there is still some vibration that I think is more than normal. It may be something I have to live with.

Hope this helps.
  • squestsquest Posts: 25
    Thank you very much for your message. The articles that you posted explains a lot of the problems have that reoccur. I appreciate your research!
    Yes my dealer, Morries Nissan, Brooklyn Park, MN knew all about the problem with the rotors on the new Quest.Its the same problem the Titan and Armada have. The dealer resurfaced the rotors on warranty in one hour for free. They used the Pro-Cut hub mounted on vehicle brake lathe. This is the only machine that will do the job correctly almost 100% of the time. You must make sure your dealer has this machine to do this job. Also go to the web sites in my previous post #1427 and print out this info and take it to your dealer. They may try to say the rotors are only covered fo 12 months/12,000 miles. I would then call Nissan customer support.My vans symptoms started at 3000 miles. I felt a vibration in the steering wheel when braking. The faster land speed the faster the vibration when braking. I could also feel the vibration in the steering wheel when going faster than 55MPH and not braking. I thought this was strange, not just a warped rotor. My vehicle is fine now. I hope this helps.
    As I am reading about dealers machining rotors to fix the vibration problem, to me this is a short term band aid fix. Obviously, when the vehicle was brand new, it didn't have this problem, which means the rotors are good. So after a short time of ownership, the rotors gets heated and cooled repeatedly and eventually warps. The rotor is basically a big mass of a heat sink (to dissipate heat). The dealer's solution is to machine it which is to take more mass out of the rotor. But now you think, whatever the reason it was in the beginning that caused the rotors to warp still have not been fixed. Now your rotors are thinner which means it's a smaller heatsink and more prone to warping. After several more times of machining, your dealer will tell you it can't be machined anymore, and will need replacement. Then your next brake job will be very expensive. I can only guess that a Nissan rotor is around $100 - $150 each. Nissan needs to step up to the plate and fix this problem once and for all.
    For more info. on this problem go to www.nissanhelp.com on the left side of the page see ownership, click on diagnose, select model,Quest, See Suspension,ABS,Brakes,Tires. Click on Brake Noise/Judder/Pedal Feel/Diagnose and Repair TSB. This Tsb will explain the problem according to Nissan, too much run out on installation of rotors. I have had my rotors resurfaced with this PRO-CUT machine. They seem fine now. If you go to the PRO-CUT website you will see that this machine is specified by most all the auto makers. It seems this is not just a Nissan problem. If my rotors cause vibration in the future I will know this was just a bandaid fix. I sure hope not. Time will tell. I will keep the forum informed of developments.
    I went to the dealer Saturday and worked with the Service manager on my Quest SL A/C not cooling enough. He brought out a analog thermometer and the dash measured the outside temperature as being 88F, then with the A/C switched on to fan speed 4, the lowest reading we got from the vent was 61F. Now 61F seem cold, but typically a good working A/C would have vent temerature of 40-45F. By the time this cold air blows into the cabin, it would rise by 20 degrees which will cool the cabin to about 70F. We sat and looked at the reading for 10-15min and it stayed at 61F. I told him it doesn't cool the vehicle enough to be comfortable, but he disagrees saying R134 only cools 20degree below ambient temperature. The service manager even challenged my knowledge of A/C which really piss me off. No, I am not a mechanic, but at the same time, I have owned 4 other vehicles which had sufficient cooling. I am going to wait a few weeks and take it in to have the techs check the R134 level.
  • I know this sounds obvious, but I have to ask due to my experience with my 2004 Quest. When you turn on your A/C, is it recirculating cabin air or pulling fresh (hot) air from outside? One of the quirks I noticed with mine, it always defaults to pulling fresh air from outside, and in this summer's heat, it NEVER gets the cabin cool enough. As soon as I switch over to recirculation, it cools down immediately.
  • Thanks for all your help and research on this topic. I took my '04 Quest into the dealer at 7:30 this morning. The fellow who wrote up the problem again mentioned the brakes as the probable cause, but the guy who actually worked on the van said it was feathering in the tires due to them being out of balance and suggested replacing all four tires. He didn't say anything about the brakes. We've had the tires rotated without fail every 7500 miles, but just had them balanced once, last week. Van has 40000 miles; tire wear appears even and normal to my eye.

Here's my dilemma: Would they NOT mention the rotors as a solution so they wouldn't have to perform warranty service? Since I'll be out of warranty in another 20,000 miles, they might think I'll need pad replacement around that time anyway, so I could then return as a paying customer for a complete brake job. Make money on tires now, make money on brakes later. Sounds like a car dealer to me.

Considering the tire mileage, I'm going to replace the front tires and have the alignment checked, but not at the dealership. If the alignment is OK and the vibration continues, I'll take the thing to another Nissan dealer across town and get a second opinion.
    The recirc will surely cool the cabin further, but you shouldn't need to use it after the car has been driven for 1/2 hour or more. Once the cabin is cooled, the regular A/C (without recirc) should have no problem keeping the cabin cool. I don't live in Texas or Phoenix where temperature is 100+. That day it was only 88F outside. Also if you use recirc mode all the time, after couple years, your A/C will have that stinky moldy smell. I am going to investigate further and will try to find the exact spec Nissan has for the Quest.
This discussion has been closed.