Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• :lemon: We'll know within 10 days. If not we'll take this one to the state. After 5 repair attempts and 42 days out of service I can't see how they could ignore a law that says the manufacturer MUST replace the car after only 15 days and 3 repair attempts. But in Florida big business has more influence than they should. :lemon:
    I did find a my car is a lemon bumper sticker. I'm going to proudly attach it to my Nissan
  • Are you pursuing on your own or with a lawyer?
  • We did the first part with the BBB on our own. If we need to take it to the state we will. What Nissan fails to realize is that if we need to, all we have to do is say the word and we will have one of the largest law firms in the state behind us. It helps being employed by a law firm. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Has anyone replaced their radio with aftermarket? Mine is completely dead, and I'm considering it. I know I'll lose the steering wheel and rear seat controls, but I wonder if the speakers & sub will work if I use an aftermarket harness kit. Does anyone know if the 2000 Quest has OEM external amps? Any advice?
    Thanks
  • OOPs - wrong forum
  • ecyqecyq Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Quest 2 1/2 months ago - at the end of Sept. Since then the car has died on 3 seperate occasions. The last time was last Friday, you could hear a clicking sound, everything worked except the car wouldn't turn over. Of course by the time the dealer looked at it there was no power at all. The dealer is stating that we must have left something on & that is what drained the vehicle. Has anyone heard of any electrical problems with the vehicle?
  • The same thing happened to me. Dirty battery post.
  • Am I glad to find this forum? I just start to notice the brake wrap problem and knowing this is a known problem for the van, I will be sure to talk to the service manager about it next time I take it in for service.

We bought the van in 9/03 and had the interior light problem right away. Took 2 trips to fix it (blew again after 1st fix). We also experience the tranny slowness twice, both on very hot days (over 105 degree) but it never happened again and dealer couldn't reproduce the problem either. Also experience the auto sliding door not responding to the remote or the button inside, but it went away on itself too :confuse: I also start to notice the brake wrap problem, will have to have the dealer take a look next time I take it in.

Overall, I am happy with the van. Very nice power and comfortable. We did need to change a few dealers to find one that works with us, but if you find a nice service adviser, a lot of problem would be solved. I am a long time Nissan fan and hope (knock on wood) this van won't change my love for Nissan.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 4
    Hello all 2004 Nissan Quest owners. I want to find out if I am the only one who has this particular problem. I have been in and out of local Nissan Service Dept for last 9 months regarding this problem. Let me go into detail about this problem now. When cruising on a freeway around 60mph and applying brakes the WHOLE car starts to vibrate. It was only the steering wheel at first but now it's the whole car vibrating. Even as I am writing this message, my car is in the Nissan service dept for last and final attempt to repair this problem. By the way, my car was in shop over 10 time for this same problem. I have spoken with the service guy and he told me that 9 out of 10 Quest he test drove had this problem as well. He also told me that this is only for 2004 model. So those who own 2004 model, drive your car and see if you have this problem. Happy holidays everyone. :)
  • I had exactly the same problem with my 2004 Quest, with a number of unsuccessful "fixes", but I finally got it fixed properly back in July. I'll spare you the details here, but my post #1364 describes the whole scenario. BTW, it's been about 7,000 miles since the fix, and the problem has not re-occurred yet. Good luck with your efforts.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 4
    Thanks for your response. Looks like I am going through what you went through. I really hope it'll get fix but I think this will be my first and last Nissan I will ever buy. It's just too much of waste of my personal time visiting service dept every other week.
  • We had over 50 work orders involved and in a 6 month period we were in a rental vehicle for 40 days!!!! We live in GA. Hope that you get some place with them. If you want them to buy it back then you need to keep them going, don't settle for $500....
  • Picked up a used Quest 3 weeks ago, 2004 with 49,000 miles. Made sure they flushed transmission fluid & bought extended warranty. Today while running errands, started the van & put in into Drive. It ran as though it was starting out in forth gear and stayed in forth, no shifting, no overdrive. Pulled over, shut it off & re-started it. It ran & shifted fine after that. :confuse: Anyone else experience this?
  • squestsquest Posts: 25
    This is a known problem. There is a service bulletin on it. Look at Nissan site and search for service bulletins.
  • I checked MyStats.com and found some complaints; dealers acknowledging that it's the transmission going into 3rd gear safe mode for no reason. No service bulletin listed, though. Does Nissan website have an official service bulletin listing?
  • Never mind, I found the bulletin on a Nissanhelp website. Looks like a module needs to be replaced. Thanks for the pointer!
  • I have a 2004 quest, when applying the break at high speeds I hear a rumbling and have a slight vibration. It was once worse but it had the roters had to be turned which fixed the bad problem.
  • Mine has done that about 5 times now over the past 8 months. I took it to the dealer and they said that they couldn't find a problem and no codes where in the computer. However, if I stop and turn it off and back on then it's fine so sure it doesn't do it when they have it. I'm wondering if it's going to get worse over time?
  • Here's the address to the service bulletin link:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04-144.htm

I do have an appointment at the dealer for this issue tommorrow, now you have me nervous. Hopefully the dealer won't blow me off over it. What the hell do we have to do, drive them straight to the dealer when it happens?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    It sounds like the rotors may have warped again which is not uncommon. This time you should have the rotors replaced. Depending on your mileage and your relationship with the dealership, you may get them to replace them for free since this a known issue. Of course they may say it is a wear and tear item.
  • That's because you have just purchased a LEMON :lemon: Look at all my posts and you will see. Yes my transmission did not change gears. It is the TCM that has caused the problem. We were told that the issue is drivers fault. If you drive the van below 2 mph for 150 feet the transmission goes into a fail safe mode and won't change gears. However what no one can explain is that when this happened and the dealership dropped the pan they found 1/8 to 1/4 inch of metal shavings and part of the clutch assembly in the bottom of the pan.

Nissan gave us a new transmission. Only problem is that it kept happening. Then they replaced the TCM. In the mean time the seals on our new Nissan transmission kept leaking. They had to replace them twice.

The van has been out of service for 42 days in the last 2 yrs.

We are persuing the lemon law repurchase.

Most states that have a lemon law have a website that you can compair your vin number against. Make sure that your van is not on the website and is not a lemon law repurchase. Believe it or not the neither the dealership of the manufacture are required to disclose the truth about the cars they sale as used.

N :lemon: I :lemon: S :lemon: S :lemon: A N
    I have been searching for some resolution regarding tires for the 2004 Quest S. Well I called Nissan Customer Service. They referred me to the dealership. I called the dealership and talked to the Parts Department. Only tire in this size was the Goodyear Eagle LS (as we all know). But this gentleman was very helpful and stated that Nissan will only recommend the size tire that the van came with (makes sense). I asked about different sizes and he said to call a tire store like Firestone (fill in the blank).

I contacted a local tire store about using a different size tire, 215/70-16 or 235/60-16 (Plus Zero sizes). I told them I want to keep the same load rating but willing to drop the speed rating since i have no plans to drive 130 mph, but could easily see myself with 7 passengers and their luggage. The tire shop recommended going with the 235/60-16. They felt the 215/70 was too narrow and could change the driving dynamics. Plus there are more tire selections that fit the speed rating and load rating. Sometime after Christmas, I will probably purchase a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A (T) for the van.

Hope this helps everyone.
  • nishonbaru, I bought this thing because my wife has always loved the new Quest styling & interior space. Funny, I read that their target audience was a 47 year old woman making 71K/yr. It fits her almost to a "tee". LOL I didn't particularly care for the Quest after researching it, but decided to buy into it knowing it might have tendency for bugs, plus the old lady is very happy now. Bought the Nissan extended warranty knowing things might happen.

That said, I took it out and several times attempted to kick it into fail safe per your description and could not get it to happen. I'm hoping this dealer will replace the part; codes or no codes.

The selling dealer ran a CarFax rap sheet, and it was clean, no lemon buyback. It's a leased unit. I made certain all recall and other customer service items were taken care of, plus they did a certification once over including brake pads, tires (yes, that silly one make only Goodyear), and tranny flush.

Good luck with yours, you'd best get rid of it and put it behind you.
  • Please tell us about the tires when you make purchase. I'm very interested in that size too, but have not yet heard about how they perform with Quest.
    Thanks.
  • bperkbperk Posts: 38
    Hi all,
    We have had our 04 for 2 yeras now and have had some of the issues described in this fourm. Recently the engine has started to make a LOUD knocking noise in the morning when first started in the morning. It actually sounds like a diesel engine, that's how loud it is. It will eventually go away when the engine warms up 15-20 mins later. It never used to make this noise. I really concerned because it really sounds quite violent coming from the engine block right under the engine cover. Has anyone heard of this issue. Many thanks, Brian. :confuse:
    Hi all,
    We have had our 04 for 2 yeras now and have had some of the issues described in this fourm. Recently the engine has started to make a LOUD knocking noise in the morning when first started in the morning. It actually sounds like a diesel engine, that's how loud it is. It will eventually go away when the engine warms up 15-20 mins later. It never used to make this noise. I really concerned because it really sounds quite violent coming from the engine block right under the engine cover. Has anyone heard of this issue. Many thanks, Brian. :confuse:
    Here are the details on my resolution with the issues for the brakes and rotors. History....

8K, Rotors cut, 18K rotors cut again, 28K New rotors installed FREE of charge. Yes they installed them FREE under warranty. I paid for new pads and a fluid flush.
    Now we are at 36K and the NEW rotors are warped again. I called the Svc Mgr yesterday(who has been very helpful) he said he will cut them for FREE again. I guess Im going to have to live with this issue. He said that NISSAN under weighted the rotors for the weight of the van. This is a common design flaw on all Quests. :mad:

I can see I m up fo rnew tires soon. Ive got 36K on them and I think I can get another 5-8K on them. Are the any alternatives to the OE? Many thanks, Brian.
  • I have the same on-going issue on my '04 Quest. In the fall I replaced the rear rotors with USA made rotors from NAPA. I have had no problems in the rear since I installed them. The fronts are another story. Since NAPA is not yet making after marker fronts yet I have had to have them cut 3 times. They are currently at their minimum thickness. I'm just hoping that they last long enough for a better quality after market rotor to come out. I will not buy the parts from Nissan.

Just an asside. The rear rotors seem to warp worse than the fronts.
  • Dropped the van at Kline Nissan in Maplewood, Mn this morning. Just heard back from them. They were very forthright and are replacing the transmission module per the service bulletin, plus fixing an annoying left sliding door weatherstrip squeek and performing a second row seat recall that I thought had been done already. So far I am a very happy camper that they fessed up about the transmission issue. :)
    Glad to hear your dealership is taking care of your problems. I really think the key to having a good experience wit hyour Quest is finding a dealership who is willing to honest and work with you. I just wish Nissan would pressure the dealerships more to provide th level of service the customers deserve.
This discussion has been closed.