Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• You would be surprised just how the rulings go. As I write this, Nissan (a new dealer) has my vehicle (going on 10 days now) trying to correct some of the previous problems (requested by the Nissan Regional Office). I was informed just moments ago, that the tires have feathered, most likely because of the previous problems; but, "Nissan is not in a position at this time to replace the tires". Sound familiar to anyone. Enough is enough. I AM further pursuing this is the BBB and LL again - final thought, I was looking for a new vehicle (and I guarantee it won't be a NISSAN!

Thanks for the reply.
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    i thinkwe would all be interested in your outcome. I did not know you can pursue BBB and a lemon Law case in parallel
  • YES! Just like you described. Can you please tell me what you did to resolve your issue? Nissan just tells me it is "working as designed". Ugh!
  • Don't count on getting too far with the BBB. Nissan Pays them to do the arbitration and my Atty said that the BBB sides with Nissan about 80% of the time. After some reasearch myself, I've found it's closer to 70% but still way out of line. I've setteled with Nissan. I'm going to take my money and the Lemon and trade it in. You can be sure I won't be purchasing another Nissan again ever. They may take comfort in the victory with the BBB. But they have lost a customer for life. I purchase new every 3 to 4 years. Every 3 to 4 years as I drive past the Nissan dealership they will have lost another sale. And I'll feel a little bit better about the entire Nissan fiasco.
  • cirrusscirruss Posts: 87
    My 04 Quest was still riding on the original set of Goodyear crap tires with 30k on them. They didn't have a lot of tread left. Yesterday, I had a flat on one of the tire and today I took it into a tire shop to get it checked out. While fixing it, they damaged the tire. The shop manager offer to give me a brand new free tire for that one wheel. After talking to him little more, I told him to replace all 4 with Toyo Proxes TPT (235/60/16) for the price of 3. Each tire with mounting plus tax was $129. I have always liked Toyo tires as they have good traction and excellent tire wear. They are also made in Japan.
  • I read an ad in the Wall Street Journal a few days back that said there was a class action lawsuit against an oil company and their distributors who had added something to their gasoline that caused fuel sensor floats to stick. It had to so with silver something being in the float sensor. There were web links so you could find out if your car and/or location were involved. This may be your problem - sorry I can't supply any additional details but I am not having the problem so I didn't pay more attention.
  • I have had a slightly different problem. I was in for an oil change and the service manager told me my rear brakes were 90% worn. My Quest had only 15,500 miles on it - so I thought that was impossible. He showed me and sure enough the pads were all but gone and the rotors were scored so bad they would need to be turned.

I took it to my Quest dealer, they confirmed the same thing and wanted to charge me for the repairs. I pointed out that it only had 15.5K on the brakes and they were the rear brakes, not the front ones that take most of the wear.

They claimed that I had either overloaded my Quest or had driven with the emergency brake on. Neither was true, the Quest is used by only my wife and me and we have never had any significant load in it. And I own a 37' RV so I am very sensitive to the smell of burning friction material - IF the emergency brake was EVER on I would have smelled it immediately. That just never happened and for the rotors to be as bad as they were the brake would have to have been left on for a LONG time.

I had them fixed at the dealer anyway ($193) and went to the BBB Auto Line - applied on-line, much easier than paper. They sent me some forms anyway, I filled them out and returned them. BBB contacted me very quickly and after talking with Nissan they did send me a refund check for the repairs.

I will watch my rear brakes closely since I am sure they have been engineered wrong, they have low quality pads and/or rotors or the proportioning valve is set incorrectly.

Anyone else have this problem? How did you resolve it. Go to BBB Auto Line and fight for premature non-warranty problems - it worked for me.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I'm glad you were able to resolve this issue.

One of the tthings I forgot is the Quest has Electronic Braking Distribution. More of the braking is done by all 4 wheels instead of the front wheels as it is in many minivans (and most vehicles). It helps with avoiding nose dives during hard braking. This means that the rear brakes could in fact wear as fast as the front. I visited another forum and a poster reminded me of this.

So you could have driven with your parking brake on, but I highly doubt that esp. since the "Brake" light is hard to miss.
  • I just saw your message about the "sliding door anti-rattle kit" and I have the same problem with the sliding doors rattling. I am second owner of 04 Quest and am wondering if I can still qualify for this repair. Do you think I can get my local dealer to install this kit by just going in and asking for it even though I haven't received anything directly from Nissan? Also, how were you able to get an extended warranty from Nissan? Our warranty is about to expire because we are at 35,000 miles. I would love to get an extension, what do you suggest?
  • cirrusscirruss Posts: 87
    The car's factory warranty is transferrable to new owners so you can still take it to Nissan and get them to fix the rattle for free. Nissan has extended the warranty on all 2004 Quests from 3 years/36000 miles to 5 years/60000 (bumper to bumper). This will cover all repairs except for wear and tear items (brakes, wipers...etc)
    I just had my brakes replaced, but it was at 30,000. We did have the rotors re-surfaced at about 15,000 (no cost)
    When did you buy the 2004 Quest? Nissan sent a letter and sticker to 2004 owners in September/october 2004. The owner should have put the sticker in the owner's manual (it could also be inthe maintence manual) as instructed in the letter. If it isn't there, then call Nissan customer service to confirm the extended warranty and ask that they send you the sticker. The dealership knows about this so it should not be an issue for warranty work.
  • What was going on with your car that you were able to settle with Nissan? Has anyone had trouble trading their car? I was told my 04 quest was only worth 12,500. A car that cost 38k new. What is the deal with Nissan?
  • Why does is cost over 2.00 a mile to drive a nissan quest? That is what the dealer told me on my 04 quest. It lost $26,000. in less than two years!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I am with you on a suit!!!!!!!! My car lost value of $26,000. in less than two years.... Not a quality vehicle..........
    Maybe you should try other dealers
  • eyeblindeyeblind Posts: 156
    Go to kelley blue book and find out the real value of your car. $12,500 seems a bit absurd for an 04 Quest. My 04 Quest SL with options had MSRP of $30,800. With 21,000 miles Kellys blue book has the Trade in value at $19,475, the private party value- $22,305, and the retail Value( a dealers typical asking price ) was $26,340.
  • All the usual issues. Door rattles and others. But the main issue was that at 10,000 the transmission would not shift and was replaced. A few weeks later the same thing happened again. They checked and the transmission was fine and could not recreate the problem. Then the new A/T started smoking. The seals were leaking. Finally the trans. started not changing gears again. This time they replaced the TCM. Then another seal leak. This lemon has been in the shop of one thing or another for over 45 days.
    If you have had so many problems, why don't you seek restitution under you state's lemon laws? Why would you just sell it back to the dealer without exploring your options?
    love the "cannot re-create the problem" response. Like i have so much time in my schedule and love dealing with dealerships so much that I fake an issue with my car so I cna vist them???

Sounds like the transmission and the computer were not jiving.
This discussion has been closed.