Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I had the rotors machined by Cooper Nissan in Easton, Pa (Man I miss that dealership). I moved over a year ago so it's not practical to go back. It sounds like they used one of those machines. I have the van in Thursday to follow up with my last visit. I plan to call ahead and ask them about this.

thanks again spoonie
  • f1236089f1236089 Posts: 25
    Hi Curruss, just want to see how you like your Toyo Proxes TPTs. I have 28k on my 04 Quest and front tires are worn (have not rotated them yet). I want to see how other brand of tires hold up for this van, since I really don't like the OEM tires. Please let us know how your Toyo tires drive and if you can feel any difference (speed wise) as far as the difference tire sizes. Thanks.
  • wiedemannwiedemann Posts: 2
    I need to know the proper and safe jacking points to use on the 2004 Nissan Quest. The manual only provides the lift points for the provided scissor jack for changing a tire.

I have a hyraulic jack and jack stands and would like to know the best places to lift and place on the stands without bending any frames or damaging any components.

Any advice is appreciated.
  • rprossilrprossil Posts: 62
    Hi - Toyo makes a great line of tires - I've had them on 3 different vehicles now and they've ridden and worn great (including TPTs on 2 different vehicles). On our '04 Quest my tire guy recommended the Toyo Open Country H/T, which I put on in 11/05 with about 26,000 miles on the van. I went in originally to get TPTs but after he explained about the various factors with the van (vehicle weight, steering geometry, and turning radius), he recommended the Open Country H/T which is an all season tread design for SUVs and vans. He told me that the TPTs being a softer compound (touring tire for handling) would wear much more quickly on the van, so we went with the Open Country H/Ts. The van rides and handles great (I took it on a 950 mile trip right after they were installed), even in snow (I'm in Chicago) and haven't had any issues. They don't have a specific treadwear warranty in miles, but he told me that at least 40,000 shouldn't be a problem. In either case, Toyo makes a great product. You'll really see how bad the OEM Goodyears were after you replace them. Good Luck.
  • garycoxgarycox Posts: 59
    I wrote a letter to Nissan headquarters. I got a letter back that stated "Nissan does not cover normal maintenance services as specifiedin your OWNERS MANUAL such as brake/rotors replacement. As part of normal maintenance, brakes/rotors are to be inspected and/or replaced (if nedessary) every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first." So they are saying if I do not have a brake problem for 6 months I need to go ahead and replace them anyway as part of normal maintenance!

I've got to read the owners manual to make sure the engine isn't suppost to be replaced as part of normal maintainance very 40,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

What really gripes me beyond the brakes is the "normal maintainance" that they say you need to do and what the Nissan dealer charges! I'm due now for the "30,000" mile service. Cost is $350! I just shelled out $350 week before last on the brakes. In all the brand vehicles I've owned I've never had to fork out so much cash on just normal maintainance!
  • exploder750exploder750 Posts: 159
    I looked at the maintenance guide and indeed it states that brakes need to be inspected at 6 months/ every 7500 miles. Nissan's response sounds like a good way for them to cover their butts over an easily worn out brake pad. One page in the manual advertised "Nissan Brake Pads, same as factory, warranted 12 months 12,000 miles". Hell, the crappiest $12 do it yourself brake pads last about 12,000 miles. That is just unacceptable. I'm inclined to go with a better quality non-Nissan pad, like a ceramic, when mine wear out.
  • f1236089f1236089 Posts: 25
    Thank you for the response. Where do you get your tires? Tire Rack and Discount tires doesn't seem to carry Toyo tires??
    I'm in the Chicago area and got them throught Cassidy Tires. They have stores throughout the Chicago area. Their web site is www.cassidytire.com. I think they can arrange shipping if you're not in the area. In any case, they are family owned and have been in Chicago for years and give great service. in our family we have 6 vehicles that they do all our service on. As I mentioned before, I bought the Toyo Open Country H/T in size 235/60/16. As you may know, noone except Goodyear makes the original equipment size tire. Either call or email them and see if they can help you out. Or you can also go to Toyo's website and see if there is a dealer near you.
    Normal maintenance is NOT defined by the dealership but by your OWNER"S MANUAL. Look at what is required for 30,000 miles and your driving and do that only. I don't think the 30k miles service is all that extensive. Most importantly, it does not have to be done by a dealership!!!!! I think any indepedent mechanic can change the coolant and oil.
    Actually cost of 30,000 mile maintenance was $390 after they added "shop charges" onto it. An interesting example of a "shop charge" was $2.50 for weights in the wheel balancing.

I've been trying to do all the recommended maintenance as I really want this van to last. I've had Ford and GM vehicles but none "recommended" in the manual even on premium maintenance any of this sort of maintenance at this low milage. My wife had a Nissan truck many years ago, it was 125,000 miles before major maintenance was required. I guess they have discovered how they can make more money on service than on sales?

I was due for an oil change, tire rotation and I needed balancing already. I probably should have picked the few items that I needed done and not have performed the rest.

I think I know now why people say Nissan products last a long time, if you replace everything between the front bumper and the rear bumper in the course of regular maintainance then it should last a while.

I'm in the computer business so I'm thinking I should try to sell computers to Nissan? I can recommend that every 6 months or 7,500 hours the computers should be air flushed (all the dust blown out) and have data block alignment performed (defrag) along with a 27 point inspection to identify items such as a power cord that may need replacement for $390 per PC. Of course, I'm going to recommend the power cord always be replaced so that's an additional $30 for the power cord and $80 labor.
    Regarding this service bulletin on the transmission power low and the vehicle acting like it doesn't have any power. I showed this bulletin to the dealer about 6 months ago and they replaced the transmission control module (TCM) as the bulletin said. Since then I've not had any problems, this was definately the fix.
    I've written several letters of complaints to Nissan with no result. So now I'm trying BBS Auto Line and the Attorney General's office indicating that I think it is a breach of warranty not to replace the brake pads and turn the rotors while still under warranty due to a "defect in materials and workmanship" which is a reason that the warranty states a repair would be covered. I don't know if anything will come of it.

I wish someone would start a class action law suite over Nissan brake pads and rotors as it appears to be so common of a problem. Pads and Rotors should at least last through the warranty period of the vehicle as is "normal" with any other vehicle I've owned. Nissan can "define" it as "normal" to be replaced every 6 months or 7,500 miles but what is really normal is what everyone else is and what they are not. I can "say" it's "normal" for anything I want, it doesn't make it true. So with it not being normal it is a "defect in materials and workmanship" which is a covered warranty item according to the warranty manual.

I'm not sure I have the time or money to start such a class action effort though.
    I found something interesting regarding Nissan. It doesn't name the Quest but the Infiniti G35 and brake issues and a law suit which forced Nissan to warranty">link title the brake pads for 36,000 miles!

Here is a link to the article that I found:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/nissan_brakes.html
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Posts: 44
    Hi everyone,

To echo the post #2018 by "inclinvestment" in Nissan Quest 04+ forum, I'd like to know if any Quest 06 owner experiences major or persistent problems with his/her van. I personally own a Quest 05 SE model which has accumulated ~9800 miles. So far, I didn't have any problem at all and very satisfied of how this van has performed :) . Just the regular maintenance done (oil change, tire rotation (1X)).

Phuc
    Brake wear is so dependent on driving style and habits that I doubt any manufacturer would consider covering them for the length of the vehicle warranty. For example, if a driver uses left foot braking and rides the pedal, the brakes will wear sooner, or a vehicle that does all city driving will use brake pads faster than one that is on the highway all the time and the difference in the miles will be big. Carmakers have to put the "inspection" intervals in the manuals now because of the "it's not my fault" lawsuit happy world we live now live in in order to cover themselves. I'm not in the legal field, but it any case, from past history of class action cases, the only ones that seem to gain anything are the lawyers that file them, and that is after an extended period of time going through the courts. You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you got 29,000 miles out of your brakes - for a four wheel disc system and the weight of our vans , that isn't bad. If the vans had a cheaper rear drum setup, the rears would last longer, but you wouldn't have anywhere near the performance that ours do. My inlaw's '05 Pontiac van's brakes aren't anywhere near as good as the Quest. Let it go and move on. Life's too short.
    My driving style is very good. I never ride the brakes, I use one foot only. Driven mostly flat land. Most of the major miles were highway on trips.

I understand the need for the inspection interval. With brakes which apparently wear out so fast they probably should be inspected frequently. Nissan North America told me "As part of normal maintenance, brakes/rotors are to be inspected and/or replaced (if necessary) every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first". So I can expect up to twice a year to have the brakes replaced? If they keep turning the rotors they will probably need to be replaced eventually too.

My inlaws have a mini van of another brand simular in size and weight to my quest. They have more miles than I do on my Quest and have never had the brakes serviced. I've driven their van, the brakes work fine, no vibration or anything!

I had a Pontiac Grand Prix which I traded in for my Quest. It had more than 100,000 miles on it and best I remember brake pads replaced only once and I never had issues with brake vibration.

I didn't buy a $30,000 vehicle only to have the brakes replaced frequently. It significantly increases the cost of ownership and is not industry normal from all I can see. "Normal" is what Nissan defines as normal and not what I define as "normal" based on what I see from other manufacturers. I think I'll sell Nissan some computers and say it is "normal" to have them dusted out once a year at $350 per computer and I'll dust them out!

I can't let this issue go. It cost me out of pocket $339 that I didn't expect or plan for as part of "normal" maintance.

As much as I dislike the $339 out of pocket I dislike the feeling that I was ripped off and not told about such extravigant maintenance. Then to be hit with $390 for 30,000 service only two weeks later. Had I known what I know now I would have never purchased a Nissan.

By the way why are mechanics telling me to go with other brand brake pads and that they will last much longer than Nissan brake pads?

I uncovered law suites on a few other Nissan vehicles (not Quest) stating brake pads were worn out prematurely and Nissan agree'ed to warranty them for $36,000 according to the article I read at http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/nissan_brakes.html and these were not heavy vehicles.

Law suits often do cost a lot of money and apparently often do benefit the lawers. My wife works for a large law firm so that would make it easier. Still law suits are a last resort. However, as matter of principle it is something you sometimes have to do to right what you feel is a wrong.
  • exploder750exploder750 Posts: 159
    At brake pad replacement time, take your van to a reputable independant mechanic and ask them to install ceramic pads. Unless your pedal is hopping and/or steering wheel is shaking when applying the brakes, insist on NOT allowing them to turn your rotors.

As for the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance, it's a great way for a dealer to nickel-dime you to death. All cars have a rigorous maintenance schedule. A good, honest independant mechanic can help you with these items for much less.
    It's like many ink jet printer manufacturers, they sell the printers cheap and stick it to you $$$ on ink cartridges.

Although car manufacturers don't necessarily sell the vehicles cheaply they or the dealers do appear to make a lot of $$$ on maintenance and repair. Why recommend maintenance every 50,000 or 60,000 miles when you can get more money recommending it much sooner and at more regular intervals?

Rest assured, next brake pad replacment will be at a non Nissan dealer and ceramic pads!

O yea, by the way Epson has a class action law suit claiming that their ink cartridges indicate that they are out of ink before they are actually out of ink and then force you to change them thus requiring more frequent replacement. I got a notice in mail on that recently. Sure the more often you have to change your high $$$ ink cartridges the more money they make off of you. Sounds kinda like Nissan brakes?
    "Driving style is very good" I found that humorous because everyone believe their style is good. Even if it is mostly highway, you do have to make stops on exit ramps, at stoplights, etc.

I feel for you but brakes have always been a "wear and tear" item. In the case to the G35, the brakes needed replacement at 13k miles. I would complain too. You won't get a lawsuit started for brakes wearing out on a 4,300 pound vehicle at 30k miles. I'm at 38k and will need to replace mine soon.

you made the mistake of following the dealer's 30k maintenance instead of what is in the owner's manual. This is how they make their money. Not much required for the 30k mile service, at least not $300 worth.

Like exploder750 said, go to an independent shop to get your brakes replaced. It will be less money and better quality brakes.
    I agree with exploder750 and dtownfb. My independent shop doesn't even charge to look at the brakes. They look at them for me when I get the oil changed based on the mileage. For garycox, maybe you should have bought another Pontiac if it served you well. I can tell you one thing, if you are unhappy about maintenance on your Nissan, don't ever buy a European brand vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.