Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Cirrus

Comments

• i have a '98 that did most of what you have described, and have found that it is mostlikly a crankshaft position sensor, and or the camshaft sensor... if you have a mulimeter that has frequency detection option use it, probing the wires in need be, to pick up and see if the unit is bad, i think they are arround $70-$120...
  • The dealership misrepresented that car! If you can prove the ECN used, go right back and tell them to make good, or call direct to manufacturer, get a lawyer if you have to, but do not put more money into the car. Go on line and check out recalls, tech bulletins and then go back to dealership. These guys tried to rip you off!
  • i have a 1995 chrysler cirrus and it started stalling at the beginning of spring. it stalls at stop lights, sometimes going under 25mph, and while warming up in my driveway. we took it to the dealers, and they had said that it was the main computer, so we got that fixed. right when we were leaving it stalled, so we brought it back in, they said it was the EGR valve, when we were leaving it stalled again. they had to call the chrysler company 4 times and ask what was wrong with it and they had no idea. they later figured out it was the wiring harness, one of the wires that controlled the manifold pressure was sending wrong messages. but the next day that i had it back it stalled. i know it is not the fuel pump, because we had that checked earlier.im clueless as to what it is. does anyone know?? :sick:
  • bmodebmode Posts: 1
    To Any Chrysler Cirrus Owners or Dealers,

I have a 1999 Chrysler Cirrus. I will agree with others in the beginning the car looks great, drive great but the problems with the car is unbareable.

* I have also had to put sensors in for the car to change gears.
    * For a 1999 that was only a year old with 52,000 miles and one owner...the A/C quit on me within a year...the switch to turn the heat/ac from high to low, now only works on High. So not to burn up during the winter I have to turn the heat to medium warm/cool. Great Heater by the way...but I like AC too you know!

* I had to get the 2 engine fans replaced

* And now, the motor is just GONE. Shot..Over Heated...Driving in ATL is not a good experience when white smoke is coming out during rush hour...just after I had gotten the car out 2 months beforehand.

I am wondering should I purchase a used motor or just give up...the money I am putting into this car, I could use on my other car. But the car is so nice and I want to give it another try; however, I can not continue to put that kind of money into this car. I do know that all cars are going to have its problems even when you keep the regular check up on it...But D*mn...from reading all the post, I am beginning to think the car looks good and that is it...

What would any of you do...Buy a use motor and run the risk of more problems or the used motor going out? or just sale it?

One Mechanic just laughed at me and said Chryslers are the last car he would purchase because of its ongoing problems.
  • lee03lee03 Posts: 3
    bmode

For four years my husband and I constantly replaced sensors and distributors, main computers and had preventative maintenance work done to keep our '95 Cirrus up and running. We spent thousands of dollars on this car and it drove like a dream up until the morning it just quit running at 3 am while my husband was coming home from work. At 3 am I had to get out of bed, climb in the truck (no easy feat when your 7 1/2 months pregnant), drive 18 miles in 15 degree temperatures to go get my husband before he froze to death. lol

The only thing I admire more than the way these cars drive, is the way they die. This car can die so smoothly, that at first you don't even realize what's happened. They are great cars if you have a deep billfold. After we had to have the local towing company tow the car for the third time in a year and a half we finally decided to sell it for what we could get.

If you can get a deal on an engine I'd say buy it, get the car running and then sell it for what you can. That was our plan, up until we couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. We eventually gave up and sold ours to an overconfident shade tree mechanic for $500.00. The man was confident he could fix it and that he was getting a deal. We tried to warn him otherwise. I still get phone calls from people trying to buy the car from me. Apparantly the car is still sitting out in his yard with my number on the windshield because he can't get it running. We took what little we made and put towards an Impala. It's not brand new, but it actually drives and handles better than the Cirrus.

Its really a shame tho, I loved just about everything about that car....except changing the battery. lol
  • mojammojam Posts: 1
    the car has 137000 miles it has it share of problems
    lately if it rained the night before its hard to start.
    once it starts I need to worm it up for approx 15 to 20 minutes otherwise once i start to drive the car it starts to hesitate and stalls then the check engine light comes on.
    when you do a diagnostic check the code reader shows random cylinder misfire.what could be wrong.
    mojo.
  • It's 4 degrees, windchill -15. And I have no heat. Blower fan works. I can feel a little warmth. The blower direction control seems to be off. When it's set for feet, it blowing through the defroster - Seems like it is off one position. I could live with that if the car got warm.

Only 290,000 miles on the car. Runs great. Where and what should I check?
  • yoyo4yoyo4 Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear you are having some problems with this vehicle, unfortunately that very common. The EGR can be tested its a shame they replaced it. the cirrus
    is overloaded with technology the car is basically one big circuit board requiring a lot of juice to keep its functioning correctly many times the ground is the problem a bad ground can chorus the computer ECM - PCM to malfunction decreasing the electronic ignition course of a weak spark allowing the car to stall. The solution is to add direct ground to these components they actually sell ground kits on eBay.
    A easy test is to use a jumper cable connected to the negative terminal and then the outer case of ECM - PCM if it does not stall you have found your problem
  • yoyo4yoyo4 Posts: 2
    Transmission went into safe mode will only allow the car to work in first and second
    there is a OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR on the transmission body that made of went bad my best advice is that you need to bring it to a service technician plus there is a recall on this transmission to replace a cable that I believe also contains a sensor that can cause problems
  • I have a 99 cirrus that had an oil change about a month ago. Since then, whenever I idle or when I am at low speeds, the oil pressure light comes on. I checked the oil and it is at full. This has happened before and eventually the the problem just goes away. Otherwise the car runs fine. Has anyone had this problem?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,770
    "...oil change about a month ago...whenever I idle...oil pressure light comes on..."

I bought a 97 Cirrus used in 2002 with 25K. Shortly after purchase I got a flickering oil light at idle as you described. The problem was an oil pressure sensor located at the bottom of the engine. Fixed for $35 ($15 if I did it myself). Now years later at 101K it seems to be doing it again so maybe this time I just fix it myself, it just screws in.

For what it's worth here is everything I have had to fix on my 97 with 2.5L--
    Water pump--$450
    Transmission shift solenoid--$250
    Brake rotors--$100

Everything else has been routine stuff like brake pads, tires, oil etc. I think it's getting time to replace the struts and maybe the timing belt but you would expect that. All in all a pretty good car.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• Kevin I have the same problem, the car idles, it dies while slowing down and the oil pressure light will come on but go off after I pull over and restart the car. I checked the car and it's diagnosed with the crankshaft position sensor. I haven't replaced yet but I'll rpobably will get to that later on this week, I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problems or knows anything about the crankshaft sensor because I'm trying to do it myself since a mech. shop is charging $160 just for part itself. Can anybody help? Also I'm having problems with the fuel consumption, I had a tune up done a week ago but the problems are still there, can anyone help?
    At what milage should I change the timing belt on the Cirrus with a 2.5L V-6 engine. There is nothing in the owner's manual on the V-6 only for the 4-cyl. which says change at 105K. I currently have 102K. :confuse:

• right at that mileage would be good. I had my car looked at by a certify mechanic and he suggested do it now but I'm only at 91000. So it's up to you, but it could hurt you if you don't take care of it. Hey have you had any problems with your Oil pressure light?
  • I'm in the market for a car for my college-aged daughter. Needs to be reliable and safe. I was looking at Toyotas and Hondas, but a co-worker has a very low mileage '98 Cirrus that's well within my price range. It only has 28,300 miles on it, one owner. It was his elderly father's and he only drove it around town - mostly within a few mile radius of his home. No accidents.

I'd appreciate any comments on the reliability and safety of the '98 Cirrus. Even with the low mileage, will old-age give me problems? All belts were just replaced and it has a new battery and new front brake rotors and disc pads. It's the 2.5L V6 engine.

Thanks!
    "...have you had any problems with your oil pressure light?..."

See post #43. My light flickered a few time this winter when I was driving over some real nasty salt covered roads. Hasn't come back on in months. I'm figuring just some salt messing with the sensor. If it starts up again I'll change it.

"...I'd appreciate any comments..."

The Cirrus has been one of my best used car purchases and has never let me down. That's great milage but any 10 year-old car can have problems related to age. If the price is right go for it. That 2.5L engine is made by Mitsubishi and it is a very smooth long-lasting motor. An enhanced version powers the Mitsu Eclipse.

Edmunds says that the private party price for that car is around $3400.

• atfdmikeatfdmike Posts: 414
    Hi, anyone ever done a timing belt change on a 2.5 v-6 Cirrus? I have just over 100K on my bought used 99 and have heard that it is time to do it. If you have had it done, I would also be interested in your experience. Thanks!
  • 71saxman71saxman Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 cirrus and recently have lost all power to the signal light. The ticker does not work. I have changed the flasher and the unit and it still does not work. I could use some advice. I would like to fix it myself if I can. Please let me know if anyone has some ideas. Thanks.
  • dflahedflahe Posts: 1
    Hi..brand new to this forum..Have a 2000 Cirrus LX with 2.4 DOHC 4 Cyl.. I'm no dummy, (maybe I am), but how do I get at the plugs to replace them? Do I need to take of the cast aluminum valve cover assembly?? Thanx....After 91K miles, maybe I should change 'em?? YA THINK???? Thanx in advance...Dana Flaherty
  • We own a Chrysler Cirrus 2000, original owners with 56,000 miles. Last summer the gas light kept coming on and off and the fuel indicator on the dash drops slightly as the light is on then returns back to normal when the gas light is off, as we were driving. We replaced the gas cap and the problem went away till last week. It started turning on and off and the indicator started dropping again so I went and bought another gas cap yesterday and replaced it. I just drove a few miles and the light turned on and off with the indicator dropping at least twice. Any ideas??? We are desperate and leaving for a family trip on Friday.
  • eug65eug65 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Cirrus with 122,000 kms (approx 70,000 mi) and am not sure of it's maintenance history because the seller only had this nice looking and operating car for about 10months. Are there concerns with faulty head gaskets on these models...I understand that the earlier models had issues. Also, is there an agreed upon mileage level at which the timing belt should be replaced? I'm searching a good parts site and there seems to be no timing belts available...so should I be looking to get the belt replaced or is it a matter of having a new tensioner? Will my mechanic be able to tell on inspection whether this needs to be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there are any other known issues with this model, do tell.

Thanx much for any help.
    Eug65
  • I bought a 99 about 3 months ago $2300. it had 143k miles. i love mine and the only other problem i seem to come across is the oil ligth when i stop at a red light, it idles low but has never died. i read somewhere that i should not worry about but my husband thinks its a sensor.

oh I fogot, my battery light did come on one about amonth ago, we had a freak snow storm and i drove through alot of slush. i shut the car off at work and started it when i left the light went out and never came back on.

again i just love mine, it has pwr and gets up and scoots and it's the 1st purple car i've owned. (thank god i no longer need a minivan) kids are driving themselfs. LOL
    You don't mention it, but I assume you have the V6 2.5liter. It is a nice motor, with not a lot of problems like the 2.7 motors have with oil leaks and low oil pressure. With wear, any engine may lose some oil pressure, but I would want to have it checked to be sure it is not too low. The oil pressure switch could be changed to see if it is the switch's fault, but a mechanical gauge would tell the whole story on actual oil pressure. Bumping up to a heavier weight oil could also help, although it may affect MPG a little. one guys opinion.
  • yes a V6 2.5 liter. thanks for the advise. I will try it.. your awesome

Liz
  • I have a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus LXI 2.5L 6 cyl. I was driving on the freeway yesterday at about 70 mph in Las Vegas traffic when out of the blue the engine just dies. I (fortunately) was able to pull over to the side of the road. The car made no sound and gave no warning that there was a problem the engine just stopped running. I attempted to restart the car, but when I turn the key the engine will crank it just wont turn over. It has been almost 24 hrs since this happened and the car still wont start. I'm so confused and at a complete loss. If there is anyone out there that might know what would cause this to happen please let me know. I don't even know where to start. I'm on a pretty tight budget right now so if it's something that I can fix myself I want to try that route first. Please help! :confuse:
  • I have the opportunity to buy a 99-00 Cirrus LXI V6 from my neighbor down the street. He bought it from an old lady who was the original owner. He is a car guy and he takes care of his cars, so I am sure it is in good shape. I can probably get it for $2,000-$3,000. But after reading all these posts on these cars I am very leary about buying it. It would be a first driver for my daughter. My question is should I keep looking? Thanks everyone.
    I bought my 99 Cirrus at about 93,000 miles, and it has been a good car.
    You should realize that the engine has a timing belt that must be changed at 100,000 miles. If the belt breaks the engine will be destroyed as it is not designed to be non interference. Other Xler engines are non-interference. If you are mechanically inclined, it will save you some money to do it yourself but it is not a job for amateurs either. I understand it is quite expensive to have it done by the dealer or professional. At the same time the idler and tensioner bearings should be changed, and the water pump. The theory is that it is an expensive/difficult job to do, so replace it all rather than have to go back in to fix a bad pump or bearing. It really does make good sense. Other than that, I find the car quite reasonable. I have also had to replace the fan thermistor that controls the blower fan speeds and the LH front wheel hub bearing. These are pretty common problems for any vehicle and these items were recent at around the 145,000 mile mark. My son drives the car and likes it. HTH One guys opinion.
  • u need a crank sener on it ok and it shounld start ok
  • OMG I have a 1995 chrysler Cirrus and im having the same exact problem describing exactly what you said about it stalling at stop lights and i almost have to ease the gas cause of that and when i get around 25 mile an hour is kind of stals and the car shakewses a littleand i have no idea what the problem is and i wonder is this is a malfunction where we should have to repair it cause its not are fault and it sounds like other people are having the same problem. Please let me know if you figured out what the problem is thanks you.