Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• budhinabudhina Posts: 8
    Yes...it includes the Freight...the OTD Price is around 23,200(all inclusive)..
    Between, do you drive a Subaru Forester ? How is your experience with Subaru ?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Love it, we had a '98 and now have an '09. My extended family has owned 6 or 7 of them, all good experiences.
    wow...that sounds awesome....
    Hi All,
    I am almost on the verge of buying Subaru Forester 2011. How do you guys rate this car and what do you think about it in comparison to Honda-CRV. I personally don't like CRV and want to go with Subaru taking into consideration the reliability. Just want your expert opinion before going ahead with the deal.

Thanks,
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,507
    I can't compare to a CR-V because I have no experience with one. My wife and I really enjoy our Forester, though (2010). It is extremely versatile and, so far, fully reliable. Given the choice, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
    Thanks for your encouraging reply xwesx. I have been offered around 23K OTD for FXT-2011 2.5x Auto....What do you think of the price ? is that a good buy ?
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    Before I bought mine (2010 Forester XT) I also had Honda CRV and Toyota Rav-4 on my short list. But I could not compare apples with apples because local dealers did not have 4-wheel drive CRVs or Rav-4s - that is what I wanted for my frequent trips to the Rockies and Sierras in winter.
    This is my second Forester and I went with proven technology and past experience and retention of residual value.
    All of the above seem to grow in size - late CRVs and late Rav4s as well as Forester are bigger, roomier than previous production models. Not sure why, I kind of like the old sizes better.
    I am kind of happy with 2010 XT although the mileage isn't that great. Also, the need of using high octane fuel only ( XT requirement) is kind of a bummer with the gas prices now.
    I miss my 2005 Forester though... I "donated" it to my teenage son in San Francisco and he likes it for the versatility and snowboarding escapades in Tahoe area.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    Get the CRV the Subaru sounds like a bunch of bolts in a blender.
    The CRV is quieter has a larger interior with more usable room with similar exterior dimensions and synthetic oil is not required.
  • mkunzemkunze Posts: 26
    Bought a Forester in a State where they only require 1 license plate. On the front I see two square holes, but nothing that will hold a plate. The spacing between these holes is also bigger than the holes in the license plate. What can I do?

Perhaps this a problem the saving money by buying out of State can cause!! No local dealer to help me out.
    edited June 2011
    I admit that I haven't inspected the front of my Forester to see how the plate is mounted, but on my previous Outbacks, which did not have a dedicated mount point, the dealership simply screwed the plate into the plastic bumper shell.

If your car has square holes, usually those would be used to insert plastic screw holds. If they're wider than your plate holes, though, that might not do any good! If they are not wider than the plate itself, you could just drill new holes in the plate to match. It's just aluminum - it will drill out with minimal effort.
  • Four days ago, I purchased a 2011 Forester 2.5x Premium in the Baltimore-WashingtonDC area for $1150 under invoice. The specific car is a sage green 2011 Forester 2.5x Premium with the All-Weather Package (heated seats, mirrors, windows...), all-weather mats, rear bumper cover, removable cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, splash guards, aero cross bars, ipod/cellphone tray and the auto-dimming mirror with compass. The auto-dimming mirror was the feature that I did not need or want. The MSRP on the vehicle was $26,764. The invoice was $24,804. I got it for $23,654 + $1,419.24 in taxes, $240 in titles and tags and $95 processing fee. The $725 destination fee and $300 PZEV fee were included in the prices quoted. The total was $25408.24, over $1300 below MSRP.

If you're looking to buy a new Subaru, I suggest you check out Edmunds for the reviews to determine what exactly you might want and then to get the invoice and MSRP price. Then check TrueCars which usually directs you to a dealer offering the car below invoice. In my case, I found one dealer offering $500 below invoice. I e-mailed 5-10 other dealers in MD/VA and three others were, eventually, willing to come down to $500-600 below invoice (after some internet haggling). A different dealership offered $1000 below invoice (having been told my starting point of $500 below), had an internet coupon for $150 off and had me in that weekend to finalize the deal. Subaru is offering 1.9% APR for a 36 month loan until the end of the month, but we would have been able to get 2.25% from a local bank for a 60 or 72 month loan.

Thanks everyone for your posts and all of the information. If not for reading about the great deals people were able to make, I might have settled for less. Thanks!

-John
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    Simple solution (that I have done in FL... where we also only rear lic. plate... will solve it:
    Measure the middle of the front bumper; measure center of front license plate and use it as a template. Mark front license plate holes and drill small holes at those spots. Insert white screw-in plaster anchors (available at Lowes or Home Depot) - and you have mounting holes with thread in the front bumper!
  • specdanspecdan Posts: 13
    $1150 off Invoice is a good deal. I bought mine 6 weeks ago for $1300 off Invoice. You lay out the pertinent points: Contact as many Subaru dealers as you can. Let them fight over your Business. Know exactly what you want and don't waiver. Finally, get your hands on the Invoice.
    Congratulations!!
  • specdanspecdan Posts: 13
    I own a 2008 CRV and a 2011 Subaru Forester.
    I lean slightly to the CRV.
    Forester gets better Mileage Per Gallon but there are little things I don't like.
    When starting the Forester up, engine runs rough for awhile, passenger seat sits low so visibility isn't good.
    Overall though, you can't go wrong with either. Good luck!
    I bought my Forester 2.5 X Auto Trans with Alloywheel package for $20,649 + TTL. I guess its a good vehicle .....though there is some noise at 70mph but its not that bad....4 gears are smooth...Not sure what the invoice price was but this is the best deal I was getting and no one was willing to beat this. I contacted as many as 10 dealers in the area....
    Yeah...the MSRP was $23,200
  • specdan,

Thanks. I had hoped to get $1300 below invoice, but when none of the other dealers would approach $1000, I thought it best not to press my luck. I did, actually, check with out of state dealers close to where family lives too. Nice job on the $1300!

Btw, do you know now dealers can actually afford to go $1300 below invoice? I know there's a $400-500 holdback, but that doesn't seem to add up completely.

Thanks,

John
    John, you did great regardless. Once you get below invoice, you're doing just fine.
  • Sharrett Subaru in Hagerstown us where I purchased it. A number of others in the DC/MD/Balt. area were willing to come down to $500-600 below invoice though too.

-John
  • We purchased a 2011 Forester Premium with AWP, auto, fog lights, and the mats and stuff for a good bit below invoice - went to Jones Junction. Recommend going to Truecar.com and go to Jones at the end of the month. In the beginning they would not budge but on last day to of the month they dropped significantly below invoice - best of all deals plus lot of sweet freebies.

Best of luck,
    how much was the invoice price for this ?

Thanks
  • mar4500mar4500 Posts: 3
    I want to purchase a 2011 Subaru Forester what would be a great price off $27,720 MSRP?
  • casubbiecasubbie Posts: 1
    We just bought a Subaru Forester 2.5x with an automatic transmission with options (rear bumper cover, cargo mat, and luggage compartment cover) for ~$19850 + TTL (~$1800 below invoice). Went to Capitol Subaru in SJ. It took us a while to get them to budge as well. Good luck to those of you car shopping!
  • mar4500mar4500 Posts: 3
    2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited Automatic

- Color: Satin White Pearl

- Interior: Platinum Leather

- MSRP: $ 27,974

- Dealer’s Invoice: $ 26,029

- Edmunds True Market Value: $ 26,173

- Your Subaru of georgetown ePrice: $ 25,507 + TT&L
  • craig1300craig1300 Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    After reading this forum, just picked up a new 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5x Automatic here with Alloy Wheel Package, Option 1B, Auto Dim Mirror and Compass, and the all weather mats, cargo tray, etc. The deal was in NJ at World Subaru. Car is Spark Silver. Here is the breakdown:

MSRP = 23830
    Edmunds Invoice Price with all the equivalent options = 22322

I paid $1014 under invoice, 21307.50 + TTL. I thought this was a good deal, hope I was right. The other dealers around my area wouldn't drop lower than $500 under invoice. I was originally interested in the premium but I couldn't justify the extra $2500+ or so for what I was getting.

My wife still needs to get used to the low passenger seat. Thanks to everyone here for all your posts, it was great to know the real deal everyone was getting. Even truecar was high

Craig
    edited July 2011
    We had a 98 and while I loved it, my wife loves her 09 Forester even more. It's right-sized. Smaller than a Chevy Cobalt outside, 114 cubic feet of space inside.

And they didn't carve out 114 feet - instead they started with a large box and designed the cargo area around that. That's why both C&D and Consumer Reports fit a large volume box inside vs. the CR-V.

My brother has a CR-V and it's also nice, a little less car-like, but nice. For me the AWD system along meant I was going with a Subaru.

Funny part?

After he got his CR-V, his wife bought a Forester. LOL
  • kenman93kenman93 Posts: 2
    We are looking to buy a small suv in the next 4-6 weeks in Atlanta. Our choices are down to the forester(currently favored) and crv. We have owned three subaru cars-2legacys and 1 forester turbo (all JDM 2000). I like the moonroof so might go for the 2.5 x premium; however, not sure whether it will be much used here in the south tho to justify its extra expense. Also like the foglights and alloys are a must. How much discount can Iexpect off the MSRP/invoice in Atlanta? Would one be able to get better bargais here since not as many subarus are sold in the south as in the north-I assume?
    Plus supply was cut short, since it's built in Gunma, Japan.

Forester has been selling well, so there's no cash back. See if the local dealers will offer invoice pricing, at least.