Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Purchase Date: 23/DEC/2011

Car: 2012 Forester 2.5x Premium w/ AWP
    Color: Sage Green
    Options: All weather floor mats, Auto-dimming mirror w/ compass, trunk and side cargo nets, wheel locks, cargo tray, splash guards, and bumper cover.

Dealer: Beechmont Subaru
    New Car Price: $23,500 (took Subaru's 36 month 0% loan)
    Trade-in: $1000
    Other: $150 Doc Fee + ~$60 Tags/Licensing + tax (6.5%)

Highly recommend this dealer. We called and told them what we wanted to pay for the premium with AWP, but explained that we didn't want to pay for any of the dealer's extras. They agreed to our price and didn't charge us for any of the options. On top of that, they offered us $1000 for our old car. We went down that day and were in and out of the dealer in an hour.
  • tkay2tkay2 Posts: 36
    2012 Forester Limited w/nav options dimming mirror compass, Cargo net (wow) all weather floor mats (they are cool) luggage cover ( i thought they were standard) puddle lights, rear bumper cover, remote starter and rear camera...$ 29500 out the door..also negotiated 2 year 24000 free scheduled maintenance...
  • dfodfo Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    We are being quoted $23,530 (not including $390 dealer handling fee and state taxes) for a 2012 Forester 2.5X Premium automatic with the following options:
    - All-Weather Package (Heated Front Seats, Windshield Wiper De-Icer, Heated Side Mirrors)
    - Aero Cross Bars
    - Rear Bumper Cover
    - Luggage Compartment Cover
    - Splash Guard Kit
    - Floor Mats, All Weather
    - Auto Dim Mirror/Compass w/Homelink

Does that seem like a reasonable price? We don't need to get the best deal ever, but don't want to pay hundreds more than we should. The dealer seems unwilling to come down further. By way of comparison, Truecar.com says $23,069 is the best deal in our area for the Premium with all-weather package (that's the only one of these extras we're really interested in). The dealer says they could special-order one with only the all-weather package and match that price, but it could take 10+ weeks to deliver.
  • Just the premium with AWP, was 23300 by me so I took the deal at 23500 with all the extras. FYI-If you special order then you can't get their 0% or 1.9% financing.

Just an update. Had the car for a few days now and love it. It has plenty of power, the audio is fine, and 4 gear auto is super smooth. I'm was also really surprise at how quite it is. A few issues though. For the extra money I would consider the limited for the radio alone. Audio is fine, but the display is the worst. The limited has extra functionality with bluetooth. Also, car has some sounds/rattles and doors sound light and hallow. Nothing that really bothers me though. Overall, love it.
  • ursusursus Posts: 48
    "FYI-If you special order then you can't get their 0% or 1.9% financing."

That's not true. I just got my 2012 Forester X Touring at 1.9%/63 month. I ordered it at the end of November an picked it up on December 30.

MSRP $29,481 (rear bumper cover, arch molding kit, mirror with home link & compass): paid $600 under invoice + got $890 over Chase's buyout price on my leased 2009 Forester X ("traded" to the dealer 1 month before lease end) + "Subaru Severe Weather Companion" kit.
  • Agreed. The sales guy last year (2010) told me no 1.9% for more than 2 years so I used capitalone.com

When the manager went over everything he asked if I was offered the financing and said the sales guy was wrong that it could be up to 5 years

I used Capitalone.com anyway as good a rate if excellent credit
  • Any suggestion on how to sell 2012 Subaru Forester with under 1,000 miles? I'm not happy with it. I found a cargo space much smaller than what we had in our sedan and that's very important since we take many long trip and carry with us lots of stuff. I'm also puzzled with a placement of gas tank leveler on the floor and right next to my left foo. It came apart after my second hike and before I even open it for the first time to pump a gas. I also found that a gas mileage is surprising low. :cry:
  • dalondalon Posts: 12
    It's lower b/c you are probably in colder weather just like all of us.

1. Newer cars get lower fuel mileage initially b/c the car has to be worn in a little for the optimal mileage to take place.

2. Colder weather=worse fuel mileage

I've been getting 19 mpg in the cold weather in the 2012 Forester. Also, I think it has a smaller fuel tank than the 16.9 gallons that the manual tells you, so you're not wasting as much gas, I paid around $44-$45 at 3.62 and my tank was over 3/4 empty.

3. Yea, the placement of the gas tank opener is odd to me too but maybe you pulled it up a little too hard? Just a guess? But yea, that's not good. So, how are you opening the fuel tank now?

Not everything is going to be perfect with the car unfortunately, and that goes for any car.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,392
    If you want to sell it, first make sure that any warranty issues are repaired, then, since you don't have any price guides at this point, look at the closest comparable 2011 on the guides and start your asking price at a little higher than that. My guess is that your top starting point will be 10% under the MSRP of the vehicle.

You'll have to balance how much your willing to lose on the actual price of the sale with the added cost of keeping each month you do so. In other words, if you financed it and have full coverage insurance, how much are those costing you each month? If you ask $24,000 and somebody comes along and offers $23,800 (or even $23,500) after several weeks with no hits, how much is that extra few hundred worth to you versus the chance you won't get another hit for a month or two?

That, and you know the first question all perspective buyers will ask is, "so, why are you selling it?" Keep it simple; coming out with "I don't like it" isn't going to put you into a good selling position!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited January 2012
    I'd keep it.

You mileage will improve as it warms up, and then again as it breaks in. I just took a road trip to PA and recorded about 4mpg less than a similar trip in warm weather last year.

Another thing - gas costs are a small % of overall ownership costs. The big one? Depreciation. And what holds its value well? The Forester.

A Fusion Hybrid (I picked an efficient sedan) would save you roughly $900 per year, but you'll probably lose $2000 in trading in a brand new car, so that eats up 2 years' worth of gas savings.

Just keep it, see if mpg improves. By a shelf'/organizer for the tall cargo area. Foresters really hold their value well, it wins all sorts of residual awards.

Gas is cheap.

Trading in a brand new car for another brand new car? Very expensive.
  • Bought new at Bay Ridge Subaru in Brooklyn, New York.

Marine Blue Pear 2012 Forester 2.5X Premium, Automatic Transmission, PZEV w/ AWP, auto-dimming mirror w/ compass, bumper cover and luggage compartment cover.

$24,698 before taxes and tags ($2,166) = out the door at $26,864

I was a bit disappointed at this price. Truecar.com did not seem to have any prices listed in my area, and after shopping around through email and calls, this was the best I could do.
  • This exercise is very easy. You need to get your hands on the Invoice for the Car.
    Work backwards, you want to buy the car at $1000-$1500 BELOW Invoice.
    At this level your getting a good deal.
    Work with the Fleet or Internet Sales Manager in several dealerships (3-5), over the phone or better yet with E-Mail. I would not step into a dealership until you've made the deal.
  • Ugh I'm sick to my stomach.... I just agreed to a price of $25,100 for a 2012 Subaru Forester X Premium

- Automatic, All Weather Package, Cargo Tray, Bumper Cover, Cargo Net

I'm paying too much arn't I? I didn;t take delivery of the car yet, is there anything I can do?
  • These are 2012 vehicles. This is not year-end clearance prices for 2011's. You are about $350 over Invoice. Ask them to add an installed accessory. Like the Auto-Dimming mirror w/compass. Or Tweeters. Or splashguards & rubber floor mats. Some of the prices on here are incredible. Subaru is selling cars at no profit in February?? Some of the prices on here are accurate, as a few (very few) parts of the country always sell cars cheap. But, maybe $10 an hour is ok in that neck of the woods, too? (I'm asking for it..) Yours is a bit high. Not a lot, but about $250 too high. If it's too late now, try to get an installed accessory, if too too late, just enjoy it. Take it easy for a few hundred miles, especially when the engine is cold. A 2wd Rav with V6 and leather still seems kinda attractive to me, but I think my 2012 X Premium Auto w/All Weather Pkg, Cargo tray, Bumper cover, Luggage cover, Auto-dimming mirror w/homelink was a good choice. Just hit 3,000 miles yesterday, and no problems. Have added some Subaru accessories, too. It was pretty good in the snow and ice in Seattle last Month!!
  • I've just started shopping and the best I've been able to do so far is $200 above invoice using the consumer reports quote service.

How the heck did you get $1,300 below invoice? Was it an end of year closeout, did you have a trade?
  • ursusursus Posts: 48
    I bet he meant $1,300 of MSRP :shades:

It looks like you are in NJ, so check out Stohlman Subaru in Tysons (VA) - email or talk to sales manager directly. They are the highest volume dealer on East Coast from MD to FL. If you get the price you want, you can order yours with the options you need. I did just that and got mine at $600 below invoice. Worth the drive.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Posts: 167
    I checked 2-3 days ago, and again 5 minutes ago: Same exact Trim / Options Forester I purchased 12/21/11 for Invoice is now selling for $550 less, so $550 below Invoice. I don't feel quite as smart as I did 4 days ago....... :blush:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's why you buy and then stop looking!

I guarantee you I paid more for our '09 than you did...
    Better advice was never given. ;)
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Posts: 167
    ateixeira and xwesx:
    Thanks!
  • junglejimjunglejim Posts: 18
    I'm helping my mother-in-law find and purchase a vehicle.

She has decided on a new 2012 Forester 2.5X Auto Premium.

I looked on Edmunds.com to get an idea of invoice price vs. MSRP. Edmunds also has a "True Market Value" that gives you an idea about what the vehicle is selling for in your area.

With Destination Fee, Edmunds gave me the following:
    Invoice.........................$23,644
    MSRP ...........................$25,070
    "True Market Value"........$23,481

I've never seen Edmunds give a "True Market Value" price that is lower than invoice. Are Foresters really selling at, or below, invoice?

What should I be shooting for?
    My MIL is very worried about money, so I want to strike the best deal I can for her. I plan to do it entirely through email.

I greatly appreciate input on this.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    It is entirely possible; it really depends on your area. This vehicle is also in its fourth year of production, which generally means it isn't necessarily as hot of an item as it might be in the first or second year.

I would have to sell my soul to get a below invoice (or even near invoice) deal in my local area even now, but I did purchase my 2010 Forester in Sept 2009 for $300 under invoice in Seattle.
  • drew510drew510 Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Yes, it is very possible to get one under invoice. A local dealer (Portland, OR) is advertising a 2.5x Premium with All Weather and some other misc items (model CFF-02) for $23,711 and the MSRP is 26,335. They supposedly did not have one of my color (Ice Silver), so they jerked me around a bit, but I still netted one with that same MSRP for 23,899 and a full tank of gas. I had the flu coming on strong during negotiations so rather than fighting them over less than $200, I gave in. FYI, Edmunds shows invoice on my car as $24,666.

As an aside, I find it humorous that after a dealer rakes you over the coals, they insist you mark all 10s on the dealer survey or they "fail". Sorry guys, you will get the rating you deserve. If I had a "10" experience, you'd get it. Problems with my transaction - I confirmed with the salesman THREE times by phone that they had or were getting in the next day or so the ad model in Ice Silver. Once I got there, the sales manager tried to sell me a blue one, then a Silver Limited on their lot. Then he "found" one at another dealer and wanted to charge me $23,999 for the same car they were advertising for $23,711. I baulked and he conceded $100. Like I mentioned I was sicker than a dog, so I took it. THEN, when we went to pick it up the next day, the salesman had given one of our keys to someone else!!! It took over a week to get our key. Now, does that sound like an "all 10s" transaction to you???
  • drew510drew510 Posts: 3
    Just a quick update. I found out that the sales manager lied to me regarding their incoming stock. He said they only had one silver coming in and not until April. More than a week ago I checked their inventory and they had SEVEN silvers with my exact MSRP. Well, let's just say I let my dissatisfaction be known and it caught the General Sales Manager's attention. I ended up meeting with him and we ended on good terms. I still won't ever do business with Kenny again.

But back to pricing. Here is a link to their current ad. http://www.dickhannahsubaru.com/files/2012/03/AD_CURRENT_SUBARU.pdf

Now, that link is updated weekly, but as of today, they still have my MSRP on ad, but now the price has dropped to $23,294 - almost $1375 under invoice!!!
    Dang, that's WAY down there. They must be getting some sort of volume incentive to offset? Crazy.
  • pheat0npheat0n Posts: 6
    I am now the proud lessee of a Forester. I'm curious to know how I did. This was my first time leasing a new car. So I'm not sure how I did. I'm thinking that I might have been able to spend a few more hours there and maybe done a little better, or maybe I just got had. . In any case. Tell me what you think.

Here is the skinny on the deal I negotiated. I'm in area code 68114.

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5x Premium, Auto, All Weather Package, Obsidian Black Pearl
    Luggage Compartment Cover
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass
    Exhaust Tips
    Body Side Molding
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Floor Mats
    Sticker = $26,175
    Negotiated Price = $23,404
    42 Month/ 12,000 Mile Lease = $255.33 per month.
    First Month Down

Did I do ok? Or did they see me coming?
  • Yeah, its been a while. And sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I was looking how much I could expect for my 2002 Forester S, 71K, for my zip at the kbb.com website, either trade-in, or sell to a co-worker. For one in "Good" condition, its coming up as 7,537 for trade in. I am having a hard time believing this. Any insight?
    You're having a hard time believing it is so low or so high?

For a Forester of that year and mileage, I don't think you should expect more than 7500 to 8500 private party.
  • ingridringridr Posts: 20
    I have a 1999 Forester (believe it is a L but could be an S) that has 196,000, of which 75% are hwy miles as I travel to dog shows, that is in rough mechanical shape that I am looking to sell. It is overheating and leaking coolant so I suspect that it is the head gasket issue. Replaced one several years ago and do not want to put the money in to fixing this one as this is just a secondary vehicle that I do not need. Body has a paint chip here and there and the windshield is cracked.

Obviously this is a major fixer upper but I do not even know what is realistic price for a fixer upper. 500? 750? 1000? I live in MT where Subarus are revered. A close friend just sold within 4 hours of posting on craigslist a 1997 outback with 220,000, that was leaking oil and did not run for 1000. Granted, it was leather seats, moonroof, etc where mine is more of the base model. Was thinking of posting my forester for 1000.00 OBO but wanted some experienced feedback as to what is a realistic sale price. Thanks for any and all advice :-)
    $196K.... That car in Fairbanks (Alaska) would likely sell for $3500-4000 sans head gasket issues (assuming no other major problems), so let's say $500 less than that in your area. Estimate $1500 for the HG replacement at a shop, and I'd say you're at about $1500 as an asking price. I'd probably be willing to take as low as $1,200 for it.

If the struts are gone or it has other suspension or CV joint issues, go down from there, but if it runs, is warm, and the AWD works, you shouldn't take less than a grand.