Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Wes, I mostly agree with you. Here in our New England winters I have hardly ever used my heated seats, and when I have it is only on low for a very short time. I want my feet and hands warm not my butt overheated. :)

I have cloth seats and I agree that the body heat warms them up just fine, and quickly. My wife has leather and her seats are VERY cold in the winter so the seat heaters are a better match. She loves them and wouldn't do without. I personally don't like leather seats. In summer they can fry the back of the legs when wearing shorts.

I DO love the heated mirrors though.

I confess that I have used the passenger seat heater on high, but only when bringing home take-out like pizza. :surprise:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    I confess that I have used the passenger seat heater on high, but only when bringing home take-out like pizza.

Haha; That's a good idea, Frank!

I have good news.... I just got a call from my dealer and he said that SOA contacted him with a car that has my exact specs on it that was about to be delivered but was canceled by another dealer. So, assuming all goes well, I can go pick up my car in about a week! :D
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Swee-eeeet! :shades:

I see, so it's a pizza warmer option! :D

I know what you mean, though, the Mazda CX9 I test drove nearly scalded me. It was all or nothing, off or burning hot. Maybe that one had a bad sensor, but YOWSAH it got hot.

We have leather so it's nice, the leather starts cold but warms up fast.
  • xWesx

That's good fortune. Your 6-8 weeks wait is now adjusted to 4 weeks then?

We are considering buying a 2010 XT LIMITED w/2nd color choice for $200 over invoice from local dealers. The closest 2010 in my 1st color is about 600 miles away.. and 1000 miles away there's multiples of them. :mad: I'm considering ordering mine too.

But there's this nagging in my head for an 09 w/1st color choice w/nav i just found about 250 miles away. The 2009 also qualifies for 1% lower on the loan and that could potentially make up for the added nav cost if I get a deal on it. (I don't really need the nav since I'm the human nav and my family literally calls me asking me for directions). The dealers asking for about $300 above invoice and I was going to try to deal him down.

I'm considering my options. The deal seeker in me wants the 2009 and the 250 mile drive back :) but 2010 ordered would be hassle free.

So my question: Has anyone ever gotten a car for under invoice due to the new models arriving or anything?

Edit: ok just read the thread again and saw someone got theirs for $278 under invoice. Ok now I got to do some more math and figure my options out again. Nevermind me and my ramblings...
    It is good fortune, at least so far as I can tell at this point. Actually, the wait went from 6-8 weeks down to two! I ordered it on 9/1, and the dealer said he should have it "next week sometime."

I am not sure where you are located, but around here there is no such thing as a deal to be had. As such, anything close to invoice is great! I would have loved to get an '09 in order to be able to get the Camellia Red with black interior, but I could not find an X Premium with manual transmission anywhere remotely close to me. The other nice thing about the '09s is that you could opt for no moonroof on the Premium, which is not the case for '10 models.

I think, from what I have seen, the '09 and '10 models are close enough in features, etc., that negotiable price differentials are not significant between the two model years. Nav is a pretty spendy option to get if you don't want it..... :cry:
  • Wes, which dealer did you buy your from? Was it the same as "Always2"?
    I don't think so. I worked with Carter Subaru's fleet sales manager. If you need a name, just ask (via email!). This is the second vehicle I purchased from him and have enjoyed both experiences.

I am not sure if I mentioned this earlier or not, but they ended up offering me the 3.9% Subaru financing on my deal, and we decided to take it over the 4.74% I was offered through my local credit union. I should save about $500 in the end, which isn't much but enough. So, in the end, I paid $23184 for my car ($300 under invoice), less $500 deposit (cash payment), less $700 in Subaru Bucks. Total financed is $21984. I will also have to pay $130 for the DMV fee here in Alaska once I get the MSO from Carter next week and take it to my local DMV for plates.

Embarrassingly, I found out last night when I was pulling out my Bucks that I actually had $800 (one sheet had two vouchers, which I did not notice on the original count), but the paperwork was already drafted and I did not want to do it over again. So, I have an extra $100 for accessories later. *sigh*
  • congrats..can you tell which dealer you bought it from? I would like to get the same price. Thanks,
  • Wharton1
    If you are a costco member i'd contact Franks Irvine Subaru and talk to them. Great dealer when i contacted them and tax rate is lower so you save a few bucks for dinner out on the way back. Trust me I don't think you'll regret it. :shades: I'm ordering mine 1000 miles away from a local dealer and I'm working hard just to try to match their deal.

If you aren't a member, it would be worth it to join just for the saving and the $1.50 Polish special and all you can drink nasty coke that taste syrupy. LOL
  • Please help me determine if this is a good deal:

2010 Forester 2.5x LTD with all weather floor mats, auto-dimming mirror/compass, splash guard kit, security sytem shock sensors.

MSRP: $27,185
    Invoice: $25.366

Our price: $24,928 plus tax, tag/title and a $99 Processing Fee

Thank you! :)
    So, you are getting the vehicle under invoice and you want to know if it is a good deal? You should be able to answer that question yourself.... ;)
    People who work at the dealer have to eat, too! Don't steal the car. ;)
  • glinglin Posts: 1
    We test drove the 2010 Forester for both XT Limited and X Base. Prefer the turbo but non-turbo is acceptable if turbo is too expensive. The sales in Performance Subaru is an old gentlement with a lot of knowledge and not push at all, love the attitude. We thanked him and said we'd think about it.

We emailed every Subaru dealer within 200 miles asking price for XT Premium without options added. Turns out most of them don't have either 2009 or 2010 in the lots and I think they wrer quoting me the same 2009 XT and the same 2010 XT. (The 2009 is the one we got from Brockman; the 2010 is the one Prestige Subaru has, MSRP $27,986). The range is around $25,800 - $27,500 plus tax, tag, and documentation fee. BUT, Brockman Subaru in Amherst, VA offered us $22,998 plus tax, tag and $199 fee. It's a white 2009 XT. We used its price to ask other dealers again but no one even lowered their offer (ok, only one lowered $500.)

Brockman is very honest upfront telling us that he gave this discount because they had hail weeks ago. We asked for pictures and he took them and emailed us. Frankly, we couldn't tell where the damages are on those photos and he said it's really hard to notice. He's been very responsive for our emails. So we decided to drive up for a look - even if we decided that we don't like it, it's still a good day trip because the route is beautiful.

We really wouldn't know where the damage is if he didn't point out for us. You would see that when you look very closely and carefully but the paint is still intake. We asked for a test drive and he agreed. He didn't ask for driver's license and didn't sit in with us. He told us where we could drive so that we can test it on high way and country roads. We only drove like 2 miles - since we already test drove before, we just wanted to make sure this car has no problem. It's good. So we decided to buy it.

We asked whether he could lower $500 and failed. But doesn't matter, $22,998 is still unbeatable. It comes with Puddle Light Kit and Auto-DimmingMirror/Compass. MSPR $27,272, We had to do the DMV in NC by our own, so we only paid $22,998 plus $199 fee there and he gave us a 30-day VA plate for us to drive back. Just completed the NC DMV job. The car is great.

FYI, Brockman said they had several vehicles got hit, so you may want to email them to see whether you can find a good deal. The other dealers quotes me as: Foger (Charlotte) 2010 FXT $26,625 plus TTD; Parkway (Wilmington) 2010 FXT $26,375 plus TTD; Reynolds (VA) 2010 FXT $26,192; Maxwell (Burlington) 2010 FXT (with rear bumper cover, cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, splash guards, auto-dimming mirror) $26,573 - OTD $27,838; Bob Dunn (Greensboro) 2010 FXT $25,852 plus TTD - OTD $27,293; Cross Creek (Fayetteville) 2009 FXT $26772 plus TTD; Randay Marion (Mooresville) 2010 FXT $25,570.
  • After the cars for clunkers clearing out inventory, we had a lot trouble getting the dealer to come down on price in Bay Area, CA. If we ordered through the dealer from the factory we could get a better deal. How does this sound to everyone?

2.5XT Limited White Pearl
    Luggage Compartment Cover
    iPod Interface
    iPod Console Tray Platinum
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Cargo Tray Platinum
    Body Side Molding
    Aero Cross Bar Kit
    Trailer Hitch

27881 before taxes and DMV fees?

It is essentially 500 under invoice which seemed reasonable to us. We are members of Costco, though I am not sure how the pricing would compare to this offer.

I also keep wondering if I should forgo on the turbo and get the Outback 2010 with the CVT for the much better gas mileage...
  • I put some money - 500 dollars - down with the dealer and plan to close in a few days. But I am getting cold feet. Two issues, one is rational the other not rational.

1-- I am paying 26,800 for a car that the dealer found in a nearby state. It was very difficult to find the car in the color my wife and I wanted. He said it has a thousand dollars worth of options--roof rack, some molding for the sides and wheel guard/splash guard, things like that, but I don't know. I somehow worry i am still not driving a hard enough bargain. The problem on my end is I need a car soon. if I get a better deal and have to wait a month, I will probably spend the saving on a rental. Still, reading this board, the above figure sounds high.

2- I went all the way to the x Limited but now I am thinking, TURBO! For two more grand. Why not? The answer to this is, "but I have the x limited scheduled to be delivered in a couple of days, why throw a wrench into that?" And, "Why do I need Turbo?" And yet anyone can understand the answer to that last one. Don't need. Want!

Up in the air about it all. Prob. made worse by the fact that this is the first new car I have ever bought. Not sure what to do.
  • Cold feet are understandable; it is a big purchase!

1- 26800 does not seem too bad for the car especially if it is the exact one you want. When I was negotiating, the best I could get was 1k over invoice for a car that was already made or 500 under invoice if I were to order it and wait. Is your 500 down refundable?

2- To turbo or not to turbo. This is where I have cold feet the most myself. The extra power will be nice, but also comes at a cost of MPG and the recommendation to use premium gas. So initially I thought it was a no brainer, but I am not sure that it really is. It really depends what you will use the vehicle for on a daily basis.

It is a matter of opinion, but I think the Forester with or without the turbo is a good car and have extensively been trying other cars to make sure it is a good purchase. My last vetting is looking more closely at the Outback 2.5i limited with CVT because of the extra MPG.

That being said, if you need a car now and it will be here in a few days and you like it, then the no brainer might be to take possession of the car! Good luck.
  • I had the same dilemma last year on my 2009 Forester. I ultimately went with the turbo after test driving it...so much more power. However, I live in CO and turbo really is needed for mountain driving. No regrets with buying the turbo, but there is more than the price differential at the dealership to consider. You have to reconcile the $.25 per gallon for premium and a lower MPG (however, if you drive conservatively, there's not that much of a difference). My opinion is...if money is not that much of an issue, and you need passing power, go with the turbo. Especially if you can get your deposit back, which you should be able to. On purchase price, I would recommend you go to the Heuberger Motors web site and if you can get close to their price it's probably a good deal. They consistently have low prices (believe me, I researched this endlessly) since they are a volume dealer trying to sell the most cars in the region. Good luck on your decision!!
    Don't worry, I think you can be happy with either one, it's all a matter of perspective.

Get the 2.5x and enjoy the mileage number on the trip computer display. We've seen in the 30s many times.

Get the turbo and enjoy the thrust. Put a piece of tape over the MPG display. ;)
  • I'm looking in LA and would like to get the same deal. Where did you pick up your 2010 Forester 2.5x?
  • I bought it from the dealer in New Orleans. I'm happy and confused. Picked it up yesterday. Mostly I think it looks and feels great. Weird feeling that somehow I could have gotten a better deal or have been... not cheated exactly but that I overlooked some angle. But that may be because I am a first time buyer. Mostly I am very happy about it. The Limited is plush but humble.