Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ingridringridr Posts: 20
    Thanks xwesx! It runs but gets in the "red zone" of overheating within a few miles so it runs with that caveat. Also, it could probably use some new struts. With that said, the AWD, cruise, etc all work and it has 12 years of regular oil changes so perhaps I should list it at around 1200.00 and see where it gets me :-)
  • Hello, I just bought my first Subaru last Saturday. It's Forester 2.5X with 5 speed manual and alloy wheel value package including trunk rubber mat and roof rack for $19840, the MSRP is a little less than $22,000. Do you think it's a reasonable offer from the dealer? Thanks :)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,273
    I'm roughly estimating that you're about $800 under invoice, which is a pretty good price. You're looking at a '12, so you have to consider what you could get a '13 for as a comparison and decide if the difference between the two is worth the model year difference to you.

Five-speed manual.... that's the ticket! :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Under $20k, wow, didn't think you could still get them for that. With alloys, even.

Congrats, did you have a mask and a gun to rob them like that? ;)
  • I got a quote on 2012 premium with all weather package

price is $23,500 excluding taxes, title and registration, and state inspection

Is this a good deal?
    We'd have to know the exact MSRP of the car in question in order to know for sure!
  • MSRP is $26,160
    You're well under invoice on it, so in that respect it's a good deal. Now, you have to factor in how much less you can get the '12 vs. the '13 model to determine whether it is worthwhile, since you're at the end of the '12 MY. I don't think there were many changes to '13, so, aside from the perception of value in the event you were to sell it, it is a minor issue.
  • Sorry I should have mentioned this: this is the quote I got for 2012 model...2013 is about $900 more than this.
  • Hello,
    I'm living in Pittsburgh city. I want to buy a new 2012 or 2013 Forester 2.5X (automatic, and without any other options). Can I ask you something about the cost? I've contacted some dealers to quote. Maybe since there are a few shops near the city, their suggested price isn't different a lot from each other. The price of 2012 Forester 2.5X is around 21,600, and 2013 Forester 2.5X (automatic) is 22,000 (the 2013's total cost which includes fees and tax is 23,600). What do you think about this price?
    Ask for an out-the-door price. For instance, do those prices include freight? Any processing fee tacked on?
  • The OTD for 2012 is $23,200 and 2013 is $23,600. I'm just wondering if these basic models are too expensive. Thank you!
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I posted over inth 2009 Forester thread that I placed an order on a 2013 Forester on the last day possible but then realized that this might be the better forum.

Subaru cut off factory orders a week ago in order for them to retool the assembly line for the 2014 redesigned Forester which goes on sale in November in Japan and in early 2014 in the US. Yes you read that correctly, the 2013s which only hit the lots in August, are already on the way out.

So use this info to your advantage if you're in the market for a Forester. You can either get a good deal on a 2013 or wait a few months for the 2014s to arrive. You can google a leaked brochure picture of the 2014 model to see if you like the new look. It's expected to be based upon the redesigned 2013 Impreza and it's exterior demensions will increase slightly. It will also almost certainly be offered with a CVT (at least in thebase models) and get somewhat better gas mileage.

Based upon the leaked picture, I'm okay with getting the current model. While it never won any styling awards, I've always liked the utility-oriented body style and dislike the current trend towards swoopy and rounded with its associated loss of interior volume and driver visibility.

-Frank P.
  • Out the door $23,200 you gotta figure at least 2K for tax, dmv etc. Sounds a little steep to me. I'd say $20,250 before the taxes etc is a better number. I was offered a 2012 Premium with tons of options (back up camera, all weather, all weather plus, nav, etc etc. for $22,995. I was also offered a 2013 premium model with back up camera and the all weather package for $23,400. I just, last week, bought a 2013 Forester Limited with great options. for $24,850......$27,550 out the door. Those are California big city numbers.
    What was your final agreed price on the car vs. MSRP, Frank?
    Wes - I was fully prepared to haggle over the price but the dealer low balled me :surprise:
    I was hoping for $3k below MSRP and the dealers initial offer was $4400 below MSRP! I suspect they're going to ask for $200-300 in "processing fees" but at that price, I'm not even going to quibble.

Frank P
  • I am going to Atlanta to help my 22 yo buy a her 1st new car. The on-line MSRP for the 2013 Forrester 2.5X automatic transmission/alloy wheels ranges between $23,929 to 24,361. What is the fair market value I should be looking at? Edmunds estimates $22,700 incl destination fees. To be honest, the 2012 weren't that much cheaper. But nice to know they are re-tooling for the 2014 already!

Also - do you recommend an extended warrantee?

I've bought 3-4 cars on my own in the past....just want to feel like the salesperson and I both got a fair deal. Yr help is very much appreciated.
    Edmunds TMV is normally a good guide. You can sometimes do better but I would sleep well just matching the TMV.

I'm firmly in the Consumer Report's camp WRT extended warranties. CR hates them. Especially when you're buying something like a Subaru which has been consistently reliable.

Frank P
    Last day of the month, gotta meet a quota so let's take a loss on one vehicle to meet a target kind of thing?
    No, I placed the order on the 19th. Plus I doubt the dealer can count it as a sale until I take delivery.