Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dasanii19dasanii19 Posts: 28
    edited February 2013
    For the auto base model, you want to be as close as you can to $20,956 out the door with tax and fees included. My tax is 7.725%, so if your tax is lower just deduct accordingly. I know for a fact this is a good deal and can be had. My number is based on a MSRP OF $23,690 (sticker price). You would actually be stealing the car for that much... Even if you can get it for $21,456 that's still a good deal. If you get it for $21,456 out the door, tell them you will I only do it if they throw in the all weather floor mats :) you should do all of the negotiating on the last day of the month! And try to talk directly with the general manager if possible :)
  • Thanks for the reply. I was thinking a good price for the auto would be $22,000 OTD with all taxes and fees, so I am glad I asked. Did you actually buy a forester for this much, and does it matter what state I am in?
  • I had that offer on the table along with a offer on a premium model. Both offers were accepted and I chose the premium. I think it depends on the sales guy and dealership and what time of the month it is. Play hard ball. Those are the figures to shoot for. Talk to other subaru dealerships in the area, try to send offers directly to the GM or Internet sales manager. Don't tell them what dealerships your shopping because they will call your bluffs. I think shopping on the last day if the month really helps. Go down to the dealership and negotiate, get pre approved for financing, get their hopes up and then leave. Then send your email with your offer letting them know that's your final offer. Don't forget to include the all weather floor mats
  • Great advice. I have no problem playing hard ball, I just didn't know what my target price should be. If I don't get a good response this week on my price, I will wait until the end of the month and see if things change. And don't worry, I will make sure to get the floor mats. I'll let you know how things go.
  • Yea please post back, I'm curious to see how it goes. I know one dealer I asked for that price told me to take a hike.
  • As you know I just bought a used certified subaru. I just realized they didn't fill up the wind shield wiper with fluid. Really makes me wonder if they forgot to do anything else. I am having the car checked out by another mechanic. If I find out that they didn't do a couple other things on the 152 point inspection does that make the contract I signed invalid? I don't really care that much about the wind shield wiper fluid it's more about if they forgot other major important things. I just want to know what I bought is really what it was sold to me as.
  • broken_arrowbroken_arrow Posts: 5
    edited February 2013
    The basic 5-speed MT Forester is a rare breed, most buy an automatic, so if you don't plan on the fancy extras: tinted windows, Sirius radio, backing-up sensors, or a remote-starter (not to even mention a ritzy sun-roof) then you start building way above the MSRP or sticker price. Turned my $27K as-is model into a $31K buy only because I wanted those few creature-comfort, safety & privacy features The 2nd most expensive check I wrote the day I picked my MT Forester up was extending warranties. 3 years of road-side assistance is OK, I went with their 100K/7-year bumper 2 bumper package. Being VA rated disabled, not something I ever planned on, that service is literally a life-save for me. Look at what it doen't have & ask those ?'s about exactly what you are paying for in the base model, then you haggle.
  • danielldaniell Posts: 128
    edited February 2013
    Short story - with the rugged package, I am paying $27,000 including destination charge, and before taxes.

Long story - our 2002 Forester S with Premium Package with 111K miles was in an accident involving another driver making an illegal u-turn, both passenger side doors damaged. Insurance giving me $3,200 for repairs, and dealer giving me $2,500 trade-in value as it is. So $5,700 total trade-in value for my car.

How am I doing?

--Daniel
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Not bad given it is a dozen years old now.

If you want get it appraised in the Real World trade-in values thread.
    Thanks Juice - yeah I think I am doing OK on the trade-in. But is 27K fair for a 2013 Limited?

--Daniel
    edited February 2013
    They gave you way above market value for the trade so I don't even think the answer to that question matters. ;)

Try TrueCar.com so see what people pay on average, but it varies a lot depending upon your zip code. A bargain in Alaska is not even a good deal here in the DC area.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    A bargain in Alaska is not even a good deal here in the DC area a fleecing anywhere else.

Fixed that for you, AJ!
    Thank you! :D
    edited February 2013
    Wait, wait... it's got a bit more options than I thought.

Forester X Limited MSRP $26,995 + Auto Dim Mirror/Compass with Homelink $292 + Body side Molding Kit $252 + All Weather Floor Mats $72 + Rear Bumper Cover $92 + Rear Spoiler $386 (this is nuts) + Splash Guard Kit $147. With destination charge of $795, total MSRP is $29,031. I paid almost 27K, average for my zipcode according to truecar.com. After $2,500 trade in + $2,700 insurance check + $1,400 Subaru Bucks, tax, etc. ended up financing the balance of 22k, 63 months, 0%. Quite happy overall.

In terms of equipment, phenomenally little is changed between this 2013 Forester and my 2002 Forester S with Premium Leather package. The 2013 has extra some safety options, bluetooth, audio controls on steering wheel, HD radio, ipod connectivity, and that's about it. It loses the CD changer (1 disc only), casette player (obsolete even in 2002). Much more room in the rear seat, much worse handling, seems cheaper inside. Drivetrain seems very similar, as it actually is almost the same with only minor changes to the motor. Fortunately visibility remains very good. I have a tire tread gauge, and I measured the tire tread - it's only 8/32"! If this trend of "shaving" the tires continues, soon you will have to buy new tires 3 months after you buy the car!
  • zilchzilch Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    24,326 sticker.
    20,754 sale price
    +499 doc fee
    +124 title/registration fee

+622 sales tax NC 3%

OTD: $22,000

Second deal on table:
    Forester 2.5x Limited, sticker 28.299. Worked them down to 26,000 out the door (NC 3% sales tax included).

Hope this detail helps anyone get a great deal on 2013 Forester 2.5x with alloy pkg or the Limited. I did not get the Limited because the diff, as you see, was $4,000 for stuff I don't need that I think won't last.
    only minor changes to the motor

While I would like to see DI and maybe a tad more power, at least it's a timing chain now. The oil filter is also super easy to access, if you change oil yourself. MPG crept up a tad.
    Minor changes in the configuration of the stuff under the hood, but the motor itself is significantly different, and all in good ways.

The only thing I miss about pre-2009 Foresters is the far better handling (and steering feel as part of that). Everything else on the 09-13 generation is heads above.
    No coolant flow through the head gasket being among those significant differences.
  • zilchzilch Posts: 6
    Wow, the best feature I see new since my 2009 forester is that the new one (2013) has the oil filter right on top of the engine, next to the oil filler cap. I change the oil because I want it done right and want to use synth, and now I can get rid of the ramps and never go underneath again.
    Well, I suppose that's true if you want to suck the old oil out the dipstick tube, but it still seems easier to me just to pull the plug (or, better yet, put a Fumoto valve on it the first time you change the oil) and drain it. The Forester sits up high enough that you don't even need ramps if you have the valve.

I hate the location of the filter on the '09-10 units, with the exhaust pipe wrapped around it.