Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• i failed to mention that the 04 xs has leather and moonroof, (seems pretty loaded). when i looked up tmv price on this site those options added close to $3k to the price. this seemed to be really high. they're nice, but for that much money i can live without them. do the prices of options depreciate at the same rate as the rest of the car? i don't know about you all but i don't dig the idea of paying a premium for a stereo that is two years old. dan
  • Hi all -

This is a great forum. It's given me a starting point for car negotiations. I've been quoted 19,995 in LA for a Forester X - no extras. I do have a question for anyone with an X. Does it have a cigarette lighter (for the ipod)? Also has anyone been able to play their ipod in the car? I'd also like to upgrade the speakers after my purchase as well. Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yes, options should depreciate proportionally with the rest of the car. The exception are cheesy add-ons like "gold packages" and vinyl tops, in some cases those actually diminish resale value.

Forester has a 12-volt chargers front and rear (in the cargo). I use both all the time. I've used the rear to power a DVD player for the back seat, and the front to charge cell phones and power a NAV unit.

It has 2, but I wish it had 3!

-juice
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Juice, what about the charger in the center console?
    Indeed, that was an option for the '98 Forester. You could get two more in the center console, for a total of 4 (3 up front, 1 in the cargo area).

But mine didn't have that option, and I use that bin to store my BlackBerry.

It's OK, the NAV holds a charge for 8 full hours, so that's enough to charge the phone, and switch back.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Yo Juice, IIRC, they added a standard center armrest 12-volt power outlet starting with the 03s :-)

-Frank
    Yeah, yeah, and you get 27mpg in your turbo. :P

-juice
    If it's any consolation, I haven't gotten over 24 mpg since going with a plus-one setup ;-(

-Frank
  • Don't take it so hard - you are getting a more accurate MPG reading with the plus-ones than you ever got with the standard size.

I've calibrated my FXS speedo on the Interstates to get an idea of how accurate it is. It's easy to do - look for the mileposts alongside the road, set the cruise control at 60mph (or whatever) and clock the time to takes to cover a few measured miles. I'd do 5 miles at minimum for a more accurate obeservation. Then do the math to get the true MPH reading.

For the Forester, 68MPH on the speedo is actually closer to 64.5MPH as measured by the mileposts. That's a 5% error, which means if you thought you were getting 27mpg, it's actually more like 25.6mpg

It gets worse. As your tires wear down, your speedo error goes up since they cover less ground per revolution. And you'll be deluded into thinking that your mpg is increasing. (I'm not counting the improved mpg that you can expect after the new car break-in period - this gain is for real.)

Back to the plus-one setup - as I said before, you are getting a more accurate speedo reading and MPG figure.

I'm curious - is the plus-one setup worthwhile? I may do likewise when the Yoko's on my FXS near their end of life.
    "is the plus-one setup worthwhile?"

Depends on how much value you place on handling. You have to buy new wheels, the tires will cost more and they're likely to be noisier. But yes, there's a noticeable difference in handling and it corners much tighter.

-Frank
    I wonder about that, too. My tires are oversized, yet the speeds are still reading slightly high if my NAV unit is accurate, and usually it's accurate within even very small city blocks.

-juice
  • Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Well, I bought the car (1999 with 21,000 miles) anyway. I think it is a sweet deal. I was able to find out that the previous owner was close to 70 and had handicap plates. He/she traded it in on a new Subaru. I have driven it 300 miles and am loving it. I might have paid a bit too much, but Subarus really hold their value here in MN, and it is rare to find a used one of any year with less than 100k mileage.
  • I am looking for a 2006 Forester L.L.Bean,
    I have gotten a few first round quote from a few dealers
    around here, the OTD price are all above $28k. Maybe
    partly because I need financing from subaru, therefore no
    $1000 customer cash-back. So I guess my question is
    what's a reasonable price that I should look for?

I checked the edmunds TMV for Forester L.L.Bean without
    extra options and the price is $25,587 + regional
    adjustment $175 + destination charge $625 = $26387 for
    my zip code. So, should I be looking to pay this
    TMV($26387) + TTL? Or what should be a reasonable OTD
    price.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.
    Edmunds probably includes the rebate in their TMV, you need to adjust by $1000.
  • swwjswwj Posts: 10
    The Subaru website has the Beaner's MSRP at $26,895. By comparison, they list the XT MSRP as $27,895.

I just purchased my XT (including splash guards, auto-dim mirror, rear bumper cover and rear cargo net) in the Washington, DC area at invoice for $26,879, and around $300 less than TMV.

If you're looking at paying $26,387 I'd say your paying too much, since I got my XT for only ~$600 more.

Personally, I'd be trying to get it for about $25,900 + TTL. Good luck!
  • I live in Alaska and recently purchased a 06 Forester LL Bean and used Costco in Washington State. They had a dealer in Marysville. The total cost with options was under $25,000.
    One of the guys I work with just had an inquiry from someone who has family in Alaska--what's with the prices up there? Is it really cheaper to have to ship the cars?
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    A friend of mine living in King Salmon (300 air miles from Anchorage)came down to Portland last summer for vacation I met him in seattle then gave him a ride to Portland so we could visit. He purchased one then had it shipped I think it was around $2500.00 I was at the yard it was amazing how many NEW cars were to be shipped. This was the third time he had done it this way..... Matt
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    My Subaru experience. Just over a year ago my wife was looking for a car. She kind of liked the Forester. I went to the nearest Subaru dealer here Appleway Subaru of Spokane and said that were were interested in leasing a Forester. My wife and three kids came to the dealer the next day and she said that we were interested in leasing a Forester. She went out for a test drive and liked it and asked how much for a lease? The salesman then said that she had just driven a 2004 and that they are bad to lease because they have already depreciated significantly. BTW, the sticker price on the car was over $30,000. A little aggravated at this point, we said we came here, we test drove it and each of the two times that we talked to you we specifically stated that we wanted a lease. Will you please quote us a lease price for the car that was test driven. About one hour after waiting and waiting and waiting with three kids, one of whom was two, we left. The dealership was it seems not up to the mathematics of calculating a lease. I do not really know what they were up to, but they played us like idiots and we are not. Those were my last steps inside a Subaru dealership.