Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Now, I just need to know what the best price is on this car from others around the country, so I will have negotiating leverage.

Raybear's right... too many variables. The number one factor that determines price is supply and demand and that can vary widely from one part of the country to another.

If you want, you can go to Fitzmall's website and find out their price for a comparably equipped Forester (FitzMall has some of the lowest no haggle prices you'll find anywhere). However, your dealer could easily laugh and tell you if you want that good a deal you should feel free to drive to DC to get it :P

-Frank
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    Samantha,

It sounds like this dealer is setting you up. When you buy a car you need to put it in writing. Leave a deposit and lock in your price. Also the best deal may not be the best deal in the long run. Buy the car from a reputable dealer that is convenient to get to for service, for the best price you can get. Dealers usually take better care of customers that bought cars from them; which in the long run will save you more money on the back end than up front?

Jeff
  • kumarikumari Posts: 72
    It sounds like this dealer is setting you up. When you buy a car you need to put it in writing. Leave a deposit and lock in your price

Jeff, thanks for your suggestions, but the dealer is definitely NOT setting me up. The manager of the dealership knows I won't pay for options that I don't want or need, so it's to his benefit to order this car - he was ordering more cars for the lot anyway.

Why in the world would I want to leave a deposit and "lock" in a price if they will get me the car I want w/o my tying up any money of my own? Plus, if a better rebate comes along, I would be locked into the higher price! The last thing I want is to buy the car this month and find out if I waitied 2 or 3 weeks, I could have gotten it for $1000 less. At this time of the year, prices will only adjust down, not up! The new ones will be coming out soon, so they have to move the existing inventory. They had the sale on the X Premium, now it's $2000 off on the regular X model - a sale on the XT Limited is probably right around the corner. The XT's are not huge sellers. Most of the dealers in my area have lots of them just sitting on their lots. I have a feeling there will be a lot of motivation to sell them in the near future.

All I really want to know is what the LOWEST price (after the $1000 rebate) that anyone has paid for an 06 FXT and with what equipment. My lowest in the area is $25,500 - a little farther away I can get one for $25,200-25,300. That's after the $1000 rebate for a stripped XT Limited. No extras.
    there's an old Wall Street saying. Bulls and bears go home laughing; pigs go home crying.

BTW

When you place an order for the car you can negotiate that if the price goes lower upon delivery they will pass it along to you. Fitz seems to have about the lowest prices, use them for your comparison. Good luck and happy hunting:)
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Dealers usually take better care of customers that bought cars from them

I disagree. While this is a commonly held belief, service and sales depts usually operate independently from one another. Also, warranty service is reimbursed by the manufacturer and for non-warranty service, one paying customer is pretty much the same as the next :)

-Frank
    Based on my own personal experience I have not found this to be true.

Jeff
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    The service department at the dealership I work for does give slightly preferential treatment to customers who have bought cars from us and the sales department is quicker to give a better deal to a service regular.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    At this time of the year, prices will only adjust down, not up! The new ones will be coming out soon, so they have to move the existing inventory.

Not necessarily true....as we move out of late winter and into spring, some foreign makers pull incentives because the showroom traffic picks up naturally.
  • mknappmknapp Posts: 13
    I just got this quote from a dealership in Portland, Oregon and I was wondering if this is a decent deal or if I could get it a bit cheaper. My local dealer(Bend) says he will match any Oregon dealership quote......we'll see! :confuse:

2006 Forester 2.5 X with Premium Package:

Subaru Factory added options on this vehicle:
    Popular equipment group 1E
    Cargo tray, bumper cover and splash guards.
    Also tweeter and tail pipe cover.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price: $27,003.00

Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price w/ Discount: $26,003.00

Dealer Invoice cost $24.203.00

YOUR WHOLESALE PRICE: $22,595.00 (includes rebates/incentives if any)
  • dirtbagdirtbag Posts: 57
    $22,595 sounds very good for that car. I've been quoted $210 less for a Forester with the exact same equipment, except with manual transmission. Sounds like I should talk them down a bit more.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    If its Carr Subaru in Beaverton Oregon they have been one of the best priced in the NW area . In 2004 I received e-mail quotes from Portland , Seattle, and Spokane they were the lowest. I then asked the three dealers in my area to see if they would match and one did.

Good Luck...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Price sounds about right to me.

-juice
  • dnau12dnau12 Posts: 4
    This price seems very low to me. Comsumer reports says the dealer holdback on the Forester 2.5 X is $748 below invoice. What am I missing here? For the dealer to be able to sell this car for $1608 under invoice when the holdback is only $748 does not seem feasible for the dealer in the long run. What other hidden profits are built in for the dealer? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    There's a $2000 rebate. Still an exceptional deal.
  • dirtbagdirtbag Posts: 57
    Only $1000 on the X Premium.
    So you are getting the full $1000 incentive plus $608 of his $748. He makes a whopping $140 for all his time, plus whatever quota it helps him meet and future service.

Seems more than fair to me.

-juice
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to get my local dealer to match the price given by Carr, but he says he wants me to finance through Subaru. I thought that was a bit of an odd request, but I guess more money for Subaru.
    Find out what rate your bank would give you, then say as long as he beats it, you've got a deal. Why not? It's more convenient for you because he can arrange it on the spot.

-juice
    Sure.....that makes sense. It could be a win/win situation. Thanks! :)
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    We were pre-approved through Boeing Employees Credit Union when we purchased nearly two years ago. They've generally got great rates. Subaru (Chase) was able to beat the BECU rate, so we went with them and have no regrets. Perhaps there's some incentive for the dealer if Subaru financing is used.