Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859
    I guess tonight could be our Crew World Series party since last night's game makes me think there's a slim chance the Series might not last until next Thursday! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    I used the program a year ago trading in my 04 X for an 07 Premium Package. I know I got a good deal that did exceed all the values as stated and it was kind of proved by the fact that my dealer didn't want it and let Subaru take it to Colorado I heard. My dealer said they couldn't make any money due to how much Subaru gave me... I was maxed out on the mileage limitations of the deal and had gotten the goodies out of my 04...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Do you remember the mileage limit? Is it fixed, or based on the model year?
    I think they give you 15K a year. I was at like 44K with a 45K limit on a three year old vehicle. It wouldn't have been as good a deal if I had a lot less miles...
  • mb789mb789 Posts: 89
    I tried to use this program to trade in my car today, but apparently my car's VIN number is not included. I got nowhere with Subaru except jacked around at the dealership. I was ready to buy a 2008 Forester TODAY, but they weren't being straight with me and were trying to jack up the interest rate, lied about my trade-in value, etc. I was very disgusted when I left there. :mad:
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,371
    I thought the current advertised trade-in program was a promotional deal to get people into the new Impreza. GTP was only given to used Imprezas that were traded towards a 08. I'd guess we may see it this promo again when the new Forester comes out next year...
  • mb789mb789 Posts: 89
    The dealership tried to access this trade-in program as a last ditch effort to "try to get me more for my trade," because they weren't really giving me what they said they were giving me (and could've easily given me) in the first place. Long story. . . bad ending for them. :shades:
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Yes, it seems GTP's only being offered on 2002-2006 Imprezas being traded in on any new '08 Subaru in dealer's inventory (take delivery by Oct. 31).

Funny thing is, you'd think it'd be the opposite, i.e. trade any 2002-2006 Subaru in on an '08 Impreza. Don't know why they'd encourage only Impreza owners to buy any '08 Subie. Perhaps it boosts resale value on Impreza, allowing them to offer lower lease rates down the road on '08 Imprezas.
  • I have a quote on a new 2007 Forester 2.5X LL Bean Edition with Homelink, Rear Bumper Cover, Beige Cargo Tray, a set of All Weather mats, and the custom tail pipe cover, for $23800.

Anyone able to comment on this proposal?

Thanks,
    John
  • I went to Appleway Subaru, Spokane, WA today... To see what my 05 Ford Freestyle is worth trade in.

According to them, $10,600, a bit low?

A subaru Forester X prem. 08 at about 27k or so, meaning 17k with their trade in value and ballpark 360/month.

Camp Subaru, a different dealer in the same town, may offer a higher value but only if I'm ready to deal.
    Advice?

I did email Appleway person telling them to up the trade in value of my freestyle [has 24200ish miles on it] to 13-14k, then possibly I'd be willing to work something out.

Again, comments?
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,371
    Check Joe Spitz's website for pricing. Is this price OTD or without TTL? Foresters on the west side of the state aren't too hard to get near invoice, and that's before rebates. Anyhow, price sounds high, trade in sounds low to me...
    Hop over to the Real-World Trade-in Values thread for a quick appraisal. It's quick and free.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,889

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Link is better, thanks. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,889
    That's okay... thanks for pointing it out! :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Actually, I sent Lithia [Camp Subaru] the copied/pasted from the edmunds appraisal and I got a much better trade in offer... as high as over $14.3k tax credit trade in. So It would be likely that if I went for a forester, it would be with Camp/Lithia.

whats this ttd stuff?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Not exactly sure what you're referring to specifically, but I'd assume that's tax, title, documentation fee. :)
  • I am looking at a 2006 Forester X Premium with 17,000 miles. It is steel gray with gray cloth interior and manual transmission. From what I can see, it has most available options and is in like new shape except for a few scuffs on lower plastic body panel from door dings. Has lowered price to $18,750.00. Is this a fair price?
  • Just bought a 2008 2.5x auto for $18918, OTD $19834 in VA
  • Anybody buy an 08 premium lately? Trying to gauge what they are going for. My best offer so far was for an 08 premium Auto with no options for 21,900 which included the destination charge. Alot of dealers are telling me their invoice price is 23,000 and some are at 22. Is this because of the area the dealers are in?
  • What I was told at Camp was there are wholesale dealers and gross dealers. Gross dealers like Appleway tend to mark up the price more. Wholesale dealers, like Camp, will give you a far better deal. It sounds to me like your dealing with a wholesale dealer, but I could be wrong. The price is great in my opinion, considering the price at Appleway was inflated seemingly to a near total of 27k with trade in. If you can manage to get that for 22 or 23k, go for it.

I'm looking at an 08 X premium myself that has auto, the weather package and such. the one thing I would question is the cargo tray. I see that as a needless money waster and I could possibly convince the dealer to keep that item. its an extra 75$ that I could use for gas, you know?

Whats this premium with no options you speak of? The one I'm looking at has the weather package, which I think is part of the prem trim itself.. Not sure though.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    According to Edmunds, the invoice for an 08X Premium is $22,726 (dest included) minus a $500 rebate so if you can get one for $21,900 that would be an excellent price.

-Frank
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I've not heard the terms "gross" & "wholesale" dealers but I suppose that's the equivalent of small and large volume dealers. It's simple business economics that the more of something you sell the lower the price you can sell it. So you're almost always going to get a better price from a larger volume dealer. The quality of the service dept is of course is a totally separate issue ;)

-Frank
    For an automatic, yes, congrats.
    I think that's a little high.

We just saw a brand new one minues the Premium package sell for about the same price.

In 2 years you would expect a little more depreciation, but Subies do really hold their value.

If it's that close, though, I'd just buy new.
  • I'd keep the cargo tray - it's great for containing spillage from cat litter bags, potting soil bags, leaky liquid containers, etc.
  • So, I went to Appleway first, told them that for some reason I felt uncomfortable [an unexplainable feeling] there and went to Camp.

I'm telling you, get a last day of the month deal. This is what I did...

Got GAP and oil change program included
    The protection thing
    Originally, they took my freestyle for 7500, but by the end of it, they took it for over 9000$, cutting the price from about 24k to over 16k and gave me a 6.9% apr total payments is about 25k.

I actually stood up and just about walked out the door at one point.

I pay 350$ a month for 72 months.

Salesman was impressed with me.

All in all, I just hope the economy holds out another 2 years...
    The pics are starting. SubaruForester.org has some limited view pics but you can start to get an idea of it. It definitely is entering the realm of the larger SUV's, but is still a Forester...
  • Do you think the GAP is worth getting?
  • 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium Package.

My curiosity is killing me. Just checking to see who got the better deal here, me or the dealer.

Premium Package (power moonroof, 6 CD changer, heated seats & exterior mirrors) + cargo net, custom tailpipe cover & all weather floor mats.

Final Price Paid: $21,142.38.

If I did the Edmonds TMV pricing report right with the above options:

MSRP = $24,804
    Invoice = $23,156

I did get $3,500 for a trade in...but in hindsight, I should have brought that into the mix at the end and not at the beginning...probably could've gotten a better deal if I threw it on at the end.

Any thoughts?