Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• damon72damon72 Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, been reading for a while but finally joined up as we are close to purchasing a Forester. I just got an offer on a 2.5X Forester with an MSRP of $22840. The sales manager has offered it for $21, 048.00 before tax/title and before $2000 rebate. So really:

$19,048 plus tax/title. Does that sound fair? I see that they are cheaper at Fitz, but then again it is 3000 miles from me!

Oh, and it's an AT. Thanks!
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,379
    Looks like $339 below invoice less the $2k rebate. Not bad, although invoice less rebate has been pretty common every spring since '06 (even lower here in the PNW). While I'd love to think that they should be a bit lower since the '09 is hitting dealers now, it may not be reality for most of the country. If its the color and trim you want, and its local, then hey, go enjoy your new car...

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

Yea she is saying it is $550 below, which is strange and not right by my calculation either. I am in California, so maybe that is why.

Seems like a good deal but was hoping to get it below $19000 incl rebate. I wonder if she will budge a little...
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,379
    Ah, i didn't know where you were from. Its true that Cal-spec invoice is higher at $21978, so she may be right, though I would think that California is a slower Subaru market. FWIW, I am getting pricing and rebate details from the Joe Spitz site, which is usually quite accurate. Check it out.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

Cool, thanks. Appreciate your advice, it looks like a good deal as-is, but I will see what I can do by asking other dealers if they could beat it. Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Go ahead and make the offer. They'd be crazy to lose the sale over $48.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Go ahead and make the offer. They'd be crazy to lose the sale over $48.

Conversely, you'd be crazy to pass up a great deal like that over a lousy $48 ;)

-Frank
    Just like a car dealer, when I got down there my car had been "transfered" to another dealer. They knew I was coming, and just a few hours earlier the car was still there. It took us almost 2 hours to get there. So what did they have instead? Two Foresters with some $600 worth of options I did not want in the first place. After being told they would meet the old price on one of these, sure enough they added the options on to the price. I got up and walked out. After some arguing, I offered to pay them half of the options price to take the car. Never again will I step foot in that dealer, but the deal was still good:

$21,300 out the door, including tax, title, destination, etc - I financed $19000 @ 5.69%.

MSRP for the car was $23,500

Thanks for your advice guys!
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Sounds like the other dealer gave them a better offer (usually a trade for a more in-demand model). Stinks that they didn't let you know ahead of time although it does sound like you made out pretty well in the end :)

Feel free to post over in the Subaru Forester topic and let us know how you like your new ride or if you have any questions.

-Frank
    Did you leave a deposit?

I wonder why they didn't think you would come. Or perhaps someone else offered more money, like Frank suggested.
  • danbeaudanbeau Posts: 11
    Topaz Gold...I'm on my way with cash in hand :-)
  • yixia75yixia75 Posts: 3
    MSRP: 28834
    Invoice: 26853 (including the destination fee)
    Rebate: 1000 +0% APR

Tax: 9.2% in Washington state

We got the 24888(total vehicle price) + tax + 50 (doc)+200(licence)= 27520

Not sure if it is a good deal or not.
    Wow, great price!

I'm tempted but we really want an 09, even if we have to pay more.
  • Hi! My husband and I are thinking about buying a 2007 Subaru Forester X. It has 12,758 miles on it and the dealership is located in davenport iowa. The price listed is 18,811. I am going to see the dealer today without my husband and I'm wondering if 17,000 would be too low of an offer. What do you all think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
    I think that's more than fair.

The asking price is too close to what people pay for a brand new one.

Don't offer a penny more.
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    Check out post # 1747 above...$18287 plus tax for a new 2008 Forester X. You should be able to do much better on the used '07.

Good luck!

Len
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Posts: 508
    $17k is nuts. Seriously...You can buy a new one for about a $1000 more. Don't even THINK about it. Sometimes new is the way to go.
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    OWWW!

My girlfriend paid 19K even for hers NEW 18 months ago...

Tell them nice try.
  • Hi All,

I am a California resident. I am looking to purchase a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited w/VDC in Obsidian Black.

I am partial to the navigation. If it has it great, if not, no biggie.

I've been emailing a few dealers. Its amazing, they quote the edmunds TMV pricing to a T. Below are the offers I have on the table. I'd like to get this forum's advice on whether these wouuld be a good deal.

Also, I realize there is a stop sale order on the 2.5T. The dealer has confirmed the VINs of the models are not impacted.

Option #1
    ==============
    2009 Subaru Forester Limited 2.5XT Obsidian black w/VDC
    Options:
    AUTO DIM MIRROR/COMPASS W/HOMELINK
    BUMPER UNDERGUARD FRONT
    REAR BUMPER COVER
    LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT COVER
    SPLASH GUARD KIT

MSRP: $29,759.00
    INVOICE: $27,635.00
    DEALER OFFER: $26,985.00 plus tax and license
    MY COUNTER-OFFER (PENDING): $25,500.00

Option #2
    ==============
    2009 Subaru Forester Limited 2.5XT Obsidian black w/VDC & Navigation
    Options:
    AUTO DIM MIRROR/COMPASS W/HOMELINK
    REAR BUMPER COVER
    SPLASH GUARD KIT

MSRP $31,135.00
    INVOICE $29,009.00
    DEALER OFFER: $28,795.00 plus tax & license
    MY COUNTER-OFFER (PENDING): $27,500.00

Both Dealers initially set out offers below invoice right off the bat. I set my counter-offers reasonably (IMO). Appreciate any feedback/advice.

Thanks!

-Bill
  • I received this offer today....

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X LL Bean
    Port installed options:
    Splash guards, auto-dimming mirror/compass with Home Link, all weather mats, rear bumper cover and cargo cover.

Manufactuer Suggested Retail Price: $ 27,570.00

Factory Invoice Price: $ 25,688.00
    Your On-Line Price: 25,360.00
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    I think $1500 and $2100 below invoice are too aggressive counteroffers, especially on a new model. From what I've seen on the Subie forums the last few years, the largest drop from invoice was somewhere around $1200-$1500 (not including rebates, of course). I'd be surprised if either dealer could go much lower, because I wouldn't expect Subaru to be offering much in the way of factory-to-dealer incentives.

Eager to see how your negotiations work out! Please post your results... if you can get lower prices, that's pretty impressive. :) (I think even the prices you've got already are very impressive, particularly this early in the model year. :shades: )
  • tap1495tap1495 Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the invoice price might be for a 2009 Forester 2.5X with Premium Package is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks!
    Check the cars101 web site, that's your best bet.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,368
    Right here on Edmunds!!

2009 Subaru Forester: Pricing

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• chibiichibii Posts: 5
    I'm planning on purchasing a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X LL Bean shortly and was wondering where you got your quote from?
  • ddub1ddub1 Posts: 1
    Same question here, please let me know where you got that quote for an 09 LL Bean.

I'm also curious about a couple of the comments about how edmunds has the TMV right. From what I see all the TMVs are MSRP for the 09. Am I missing something or are you referring to the invoices prices?

Thanks
  • Updated offers from both dealers (pretty much final):

2.5XT Limited w/VDC ==> $26,700.00
    2.5XT Limited w/VDC & Nav ==> $28,600.00

Almost a $2,000 difference. And the one without the navigation does come with the front bumper guard. I really want the Nav, it just looks slick, and its going to look better than anything aftermarket I could put in there. Will have to give this some thought...

-Bill
  • My quote was from internet sales at a dealer in Portland Oregon, my local dealers here in Washington are much harder to deal with, they will eventually match a deal... or so they say.
    I hate to be more specific until I buy my Forester then I will tell all if it helps.
  • Hi folks,

I've lurked around here long enough that I wanted to give a little information back to the masses now that I've finally made a decision and started the purchase process.

Last Friday afternoon I ordered an '09 Forester L.L. Bean (Red, no Nav).

After about 8 months of agonizing research looking for a safe, fuel-efficient, winter-capable vehicle, I settled on the Forester. Not too big, not too small. Hopefully it will end up being "just right." I wasn't going to make any decisions until the crash tests were out, but I found the Australian crash test results, and they reassured me that Subaru didn't do anything to screw up the good safety reputation they've built with the Forester.

I configured the vehicle on Edmunds and requested quotes from the four nearest dealers. Despite my concern about the value and usefulness of accessories, I ended up ordering a whole slew of them.

I received automated responses from 3 dealerships, and a personalized, "real" email from the internet manager at the 4th. She looked at my list of preferences and said that she could track down the vehicle from another dealership and then install the options, but it would be much less expensive if I wanted to special order it and wait.

She offered to order the vehicle and accessories at sell at invoice, bypassing dealer installation charges on the accessories by having them installed "at the port". We set up a final test drive, and then sat down and we went through the order process. We went right down the screen selecting the options I wanted, and I cross-checked the invoice price against what Edmunds has. There weren't any surprises -- all the invoice prices checked out.

There was a snag that some may find humorous or interesting: I wanted the wheel arch moldings and splash guards, but the system would not let us check both. It gave an error message that they are incompatible with one another. I had to bring it to the sales folks' attention that the advertisement for the moldings clearly says, 'Looks great with the accessory Splash Guards!" and vice versa. They had a good laugh over that, but I was mildly annoyed.

Also, a rear backup sensor was on the list of possible accessories, but does not appear in any "build-your-own" configuration tool I've seen. Also disappointing is that the iPod interface kit evidently is not compatible with the "improved" audio system in the L.L. Bean trim level. My understanding is that the kit improves over the basic auxillary input by allowing iPod control from the stereo controls, and charging, turning off the iPod when the vehicle powers down, etc.

At any rate, the final ordered vehicle went something like this:

(2009 L.L. Bean Forester, Camellia Red, No Navigation)
    ++ Rear Bumper Cover
    ++ Subwoofer
    ++ Spoiler
    ++ Splash Guards
    ++ Wheel Arch Moldings (?)
    ++ Rear Backup Sensor
    ++ Moonroof Air Deflector
    ++ Puddle Lights
    ++ iPod Tray
    ++ Body Side Molding
    ++ Auto-Dim Mirror with Compass and HomeLink
    ++ PZEV (Massachusetts)

Cost was $27K even. This is consistent with the invoice prices listed on Edmunds and elsewhere. (I didn't want to reward her forthright offer to order the vehicle and save me money by greedily attempting to negotiate lower than invoice). Had to deposit the cost of the accessories, and now I just wait. Forecast was 4 to 8 weeks.

So that's the story so far. I'll keep you guys posted on the rest of the buying experience as it develops.
    Congrats. Let me know how you like it when you take delivery.

We may end up with the same model, but probably a different color.