Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    BG MOA? What does that even mean?

If it is not on the factory schedule, it is an optional "add-on" by the dealer and therefore is not necessary. I can't comment on whether or not it is useful at this point, though!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for heads-up xwesx... that would be an engineering departure from my 2005 (that I gave to my son in San Francisco) - many items that I added on that car were just plug-ins...most items were pre-wired and ready for dealer's installations...if ordered and paid for.

What you are saying makes sense but that empty plugged hole on dash board (for heated mirrors) is saying: open me - open me - and look what's behind...one of these days, when it cools down, I will pop that thing out and see what's behind. To add that heating coil behind rear view mirror should not be such a problem, I would think - I think I am going to pop that mirror out as well...to see, what is behind...

From what I have seen on assembly lines in Sweden (Saab) and Germany (BMW) they always pre-wire all these add-ons in the factory - but now, with watching the costs, it may not be the case.
    edited October 2010
    That was my thinking as well. I had asked about it when we purchased a 2007 Outback Basic because the one feature that car lacked was heated mirrors, which I think are a safety feature no car should be without in the sub-arctic! I didn't keep the car long enough to go digging into it though to verify.

When we went to purchase the Forester, my wife wanted to get the X (but with heated mirrors), so I asked about that again from a different source and received the same response. I didn't feel like I could live with the X anyway due to the lack of (at the time) roof rails, plus I wanted the moonroof, even if my wife didn't. I figured for a couple thousand, I would rather get the car I wanted than the car with which I could live. At that point, the heated mirrors became a non-issue as I just ordered it with the AWP.

I really don't like that the heated mirrors cannot be activated independently of the rear and windshield heaters, though. That is the biggest annoyance i have with the car as the rear defroster is not heavy duty enough to keep the rear window warm at typical Fairbanks winter temperatures, so defrosting the mirrors means creating large, blocky strips of ice on the rear window. With my previous Outbacks, the mirror defrosters were a separate button on the lower left side of the dash.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited October 2010
    Oh well, we cannot have it all but I will try to solve that mirror issue somehow ... there is a plugged hole next to the tilt-mirror switch and I think that might be the hole for a heated mirror switch...

I have fond memories of Fairbanks and the environs... I took that haul road to Prudhoe Bay but at that time I had a Suburban - ended up with golf ball hole in my windshield and both headlights smashed until I figured out, what to do, when there was an on-going truck approaching ... ditch to the side and cover my head...

I made it to Barrow as well but could not drive there (even though I wanted) - I took a plane from Fairbanks there...

I miss those long drives through Yukon, Whitehorse, Dawson City, ferry over Yukon river to a small place called Chicken....etc.etc. ... I will be back!
    At that time, I drove from Los Angeles - non stop (2 drivers) to Fairbanks... it was 4400 miles if I remember correctly!
    Sounds like fun times! Now I'm curious to know what year it was that you took that trip! I picked up my car in Seattle last year and made it back to Fairbanks in 49 hours - not quite the same road as in days of old, not even the same as 1995 when I drove it the first time. This last run was trip #13 and the drive never gets old!

As for the heated mirror switch hole, that's where it used to be. Hopefully you'll find the wiring you need, but I bet it wouldn't be too cumbersome to install a whole circuit assuming you can get the hardware you need for the mirrors themselves.
    That was 10 or so years ago. At that time I had to drive through Calgary/Edmonton.

There was no passage through B.C. - the road north of Whistler (in Pemberton) was a dead end road...

Will have live with those pesky rear view mirrors for a while. My primary "modification" is to remove the rear window wind deflector which will require a body shop because of holes left, after removal!

Happy motoring!
  • jk2011tourjk2011tour Member Posts: 7
    :) First time Subaru owner and very happy. Ordered car 5 weeks ago and took delivery on 10/22. 2011 Forester 2.5X Touring Sage Green. Price Paid MSRP $29347.00 Invoice $ 27,538.00. Price Paid $ 26,122.00 Plus Tax doc fee plate transfer. This was one sweet deal for a great car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, does that make you the first 2011 owner?

Pop the hood and check out the location of the oil filter - brilliant.

Cars101 also mentioned it got upgraded interior materials, did you compare to a 2010 and if so, what did you notice was improved?
  • nandan02nandan02 Member Posts: 2
    Congrats jk2011tour. That's a great price!!

Which dealership & location please, if you don't mind sharing?

Also, is it PZEV? What factory installed accessories were included in the price?
  • subarusavvysubarusavvy Member Posts: 1
    today I will purchase a Limited with bumper cover, a coupon for body side moldings and splash guards (options that I wanted that need to be added after sale), and all-weather mats. It is a pzev in New York state.
    I waited to the end of month, end of the week for the best deal but am still not sure I got the best: 25,300 (plus DMV and tax). I shopped around, I bargained.
    what do you think? :)
    This was one of the first. The oil filter location is great. We had a price on 2010 limited 24,495 but for 1600.00 more we got much more. HID lights were very important and chain driven engine, no more timing belt to change.The 2011 touring has much more value than 2010.
    No PZEV Grand Subaru, Bensenville, Illinois. 2011 2.5x Touring, Bumper cover, Body side moldings, Auto dimming mirror with homelink. I also added all weather matts for $40.00 more
  • joepat711joepat711 Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up a 2010 Forester Premium 2.5x Automatic with PZEV and All Weather Package. Also had bumper cover and cargo tray, dealer threw in all weather mats and a remote starter which is nice to have with the all weather package so you can heat up the car in the morning from the comfort of your home. I live in CT so this saved me the drive to maryland for a possible better deal.

$22,897 before tax, title, tags, doc (299), etc....

Hope this was a good price, I was happy.

Any info on maintanence programs and extended warranties is appreciated, not sure if these are negotiable but I passed on them for now, I believe I have until 3/36k to extend it anyhow.
  • dad2bedad2be Member Posts: 60
    Congrats on your purchase! That's almost the exact same deal I got in eastern PA (~1300 under invoice) a few weeks ago on my 2010 2.5x Premium. The day I took delivery (Oct 14) is the day that they got their first shipment of 2011 models and I had a quick look. Nothing to make me regret getting a 2010, but I do envy the new stereo in the 2011. The radio in the 2010 really is subpar, especially compared to our 2010 Outback (we're now a 2 Subaru family.) Otherwise very happy.

I also asked about the extended service plan (or rather they told me about it.) Can't remember what exact price they offerred me for the 6/60k bumper to bumper, but I know it was in the range of $700-$800. We tend to keep the mileage low and turn over our cars every 3-5 years, so it didn't make sense for us at the time, but I did ask if we could purchase later before the basic warranty expired and the answer is yes. The cost of the warranty will be higher in a few years, though.

One comment about the remote starter. I was very keen on having this when we got our 2010 Outback, but am disappointed with the system in that car. It works fine, but the car shuts off as soon as any door is opened. After almost a year with the car and trying it in hot and cold seasons, I found that it's more of a pain than a convenience (mainly use in parking lots since the car is garaged at home.) This is different from my experiences with GM cars, which stay running and give you time (30 seconds?) to put the key in the ignition after you unlock it. Not sure if the system in the Forester is the same as the one in the Outback. If we parked outside in the winters I'm sure I'd feel differently about it.
  • baires60baires60 Member Posts: 30
    Hi I did some shopping around for the warranty prices and found they vary alot in price. I finally settled on 7/70K with 0 ded for a littl more than $800 + NY tax - Check in new Mexico, NJ, and Missouri. Stay away from Florida since I think he said it was considered insurance so they are not able to lower the price. I went with the 0 ded but if Subarus live up to their name and require minimal service it may have been wiser to get one with a ded, but I like piece of mind. I am still debating the service plan, I have 3K miles before I need to decide but someone at my dealership said it wasn't worth it since it only covers oil changes but I wasn't exactly sure if that is correct. The dealerships also run sales on the warranties and service maintenance packages - you might get lucky and get in on one - there is a post here on this thread from mid- june maybe where someone mentions the name of someone to call and get a quote - they often run sales - personally I was never able to get through. I may try again soon. Good luck
    The remote starter I have is alittle tricky, to start the car I have to press Lock, Unlock, Lock ( or maybe opp. sequence) to start it, the doors will be locked at this point. I then have to press Unlock to open the door, if I touch the handle before doing this I believe it shuts off, once inside if I touch a pedal, brake or gas it will shut off. I then have to put key in ignition and turn it two clicks and not all the way (otherwise starter will ignite again) to then touch the pedal and gears to drive it.

Hope this helps, otherwise you may want to take it back to dealer.

Thanks to all for info on warranties and maintenance, the maintenance should covers all intervals of maintenance and not just oil changes and it should save you money if you go through dealer for servicing. I'll shop around for them.
    yes that's what I thought that maintenance plan covers more than oil changes, that is why I will need to call the service centers of some of the dealers and see if it's worth starting a new search to get pricing. I would get the 7500K one to save on cost and they are the big ones anyway. also in the past you prepaid for the service intervals now it's onlne so if you don't get to 36K within 3 years you may be out of luck though I guess the last inetrval is 30K then 45K.So I guess it doesn't matter.
    baires60,

If you don't mind sharing where you got your extended warranty you'd save me a few phone calls......... my email is joepat711@yahoo.com

thanks.
  • cjkbme2wcjkbme2w Member Posts: 82
    Best price for extended warranties I have found is Matt Slap Subaru in Delaware. If you call and ask for Nicole Pagano (tell her Craig referred you), they will give near their cost (since they do high volume). I got a 6/80K for $810 after tax (no tax in DE).
    As for the maintenance plan, this one I haven't done yet, but might consider because of the $500 cash incentive that my dealer (Matt Slap Subaru in DE) told me about (towards a future Subaru). Matt Slap Subaru's pricing for the 7,500 interval (after tax)
    in September was

Subaru Maintenance Plan

7,500 interval

3/36,000 = $720
    3/45,000 = $880

Ask for Nicole and tell her Craig referred you.
    The service (maintenance plan) covers the Subaru recommended services. For example, the 3/36 (every 7,500) plan covers the 7,500, 15K, 22.5 and 30K services. I priced the 15K and 30K service and those alone were more than the maintenance plan costs. However, I believe that Subaru overprices their services and I am going to an independent mechanic for about 50% of the cost.
    thanks, that's who I was trying to get in touch with back In August and we just kept missing each other. I will try again for the maintenance plan - agree the prices are good if you go to dealer for those repairs - 15K and 45K are $389 and 30K and 60K are $629 - so add 15, 30 are $1018 alone. I get every other oil change free so that's changes things a little bit as far as oil change at 22.5K. Try Bill Kolb, Jr Subaru in orangeburg, NY ask for the finance guy. His was a good rate on warranty also - 7/70K for $825 + NY tax - Be careful which they quote you - the classic or the gold plus - I got 0 ded gold plus.
    Probably because I was keeping her so busy with email questions. I also got the Gold Plan. For people that are curious, Subaru spells out these plans here.

http://www.subaru.com/finance-center/added-security-plans.html
  • dorset45dorset45 Member Posts: 1
    Hi joepat711 just noticed your post...where did you purchase your new Forester?
    I'm in Vt. and can't seem to find a dealer that will budge much on price..A trip to Ct. might be fun.
    I went to Subaru Stamford, it's right off I-95 exit 6.
    I got in contact with the internet manager using Subaru's website for a quote, here's his email: jdimeglio@SubaruStamford.com (Jonathan) otherwise just go through the website. His price was on point from the beginning, buying a 2010 and last week of month may have helped. Also note that the doc fee was 299 and that may vary by dealer and state so take that in consideration in overall price when comparing locally in VT.

Good luck.
    edited November 2010
    sorry this is in reply to dorset45

Hi try Georgetown Subaru - Reid Ferris, I think they're in CT too, I seem to remember he had good prices too. I almost bought from him but really didn't want to go to Ct.

Joepat any luck with the warranties?
  • zenprofitzenprofit Member Posts: 12
    Just ordered my 2011 to replace my 2008. Added PZEV, Sirius, All Weather, rear cargo pad and cover, auto rear mirror, fog lamps, moon roof deflector: $23,925 before tags taxes etc. Same price as I paid in 2008.

Best car I have ever owned. :)
    Congrats. :shades:
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    Hi,
    I'm trying to decide on the 2010 or 2011 forester. I live in Canada. I don't have a lot of cash to buy but I'm trying to decide if it's better to buy one of lease. (In the pasat I've leased 2 legacy wagons, which I miss now that they're gone.)
    Here lease rates for 3 years, for 2010 Sport tech, are 1.9% with .48% residual; the 2011 is 3.9% with .58% residual. I was told the 2011 is the best lease deal.
    To purchase the 2010 Sport Tech is 2.9% with 5 years; the 2011 is 4.9% for 5 years. so they said buying the 2010 is the better deal there.
    I am not great at figuring these things out, so I appreciate any advice. They say the sport techs are going very quickly.
    Also, is it worth waiting for the 2011? I don't care about the GPS. If I lease, I'm not concerned about replacing the timing belt since it won't be an issue, but are the improvements to the 2011 worth the extra cost? I'm also thinking of going through Carcost Canada as I have in the past. They made it pretty painless.
    Also, if I lease again, should i put a down payment into it?
    thanks for the help. I need to make a decision very soon, and I always get nervous about the number crunching. thanks.
    cdndriver
    With a 10% residual edge I'd go with the 2011 on a lease.

Even on a purchase, it's only 2% more interest. In the long run you'll probably get some of that money back at trade-in time, and you can enjoy the enhancements the whole time. Plus, if you buy, the timing chain helps.
  • mdaimdai Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I want to buy a 2011 Forester std. model auto, and I got a price $20525 + $347(TTL).Is that a good deal? Thank you.
    You're among the first, so there may be no deals to compare to. Sounds about right, though.
  • hisownhisown Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Which trim did you get? any options/accessories? because that price is basically the MSRP for the base 2.5X

I got a 2.5X Premium w/ AWP for 22,000 before taxes/fees.
  • maybesubie1maybesubie1 Member Posts: 30
    After looking around for a long time, I finally went ahead and bought a 2011 Forester Limited yesterday. Seeing pricing on these forums has been really useful to me so, so I thought some of you might be interested in hearing what I paid. It's a little tricky to figure out the numbers, but I'd say the approximate discount ended up being about $3,400 off MSRP. It had been advertised at $3,100 off MSRP. Really liking the Forester so far.
    Congrats, you're the 2nd 2011 owner I've heard from.
  • rostasteverostasteve Member Posts: 5
    Looks like I didn't get as good of a deal as some of the others :cry:. No wonder they agreed so quickly.

Anyway...I just picked up a 2011 Forester 2.5X Auto with the Alloy Wheel Package for 21,180 (+accessories and TTL).
    Meh, 10 years from now a small up-front difference in cost won't make much difference. Congrats and enjoy!
  • zenprofitzenprofit Member Posts: 12
    This is my 2nd Forester. Got satellite, wind hood and cargo mat. Much roomier than last one. Driver's seat lumbar excellent. Cockpit and lighting much improved. Bluetooth and USB port a bonus. :):):)
    We're also on our 2nd, you're not kidding about it being much roomier. From tight to roomy.

We like the blue LEDs, too.

Congrats!
  • sunmixsnowsunmixsnow Member Posts: 1
    I also picked up my first new Forester today.
    It is 2011 Forester Premium with All winter package, cargo tray and remote starter. The car price is $22K. That is the lowest I can find so far in Boston area.

I like it very much. I especially like the oversize moonroof, bluetooth and the features for winter. I do feel that it is a little bit smaller than my previous camry. But that is ok because I am not a big guy.

One thing I noticed on the spec is that Forester has similar power compared to CRV and RAV4, but provides twice towing capacity as much as the other two does. Is it a typo or something else.
    2400 lbs IIRC. Trailers over 1000 lbs should have trailer brakes, though, as it pretty much industry-standard.

Congrats - you'll love the seat heaters for winter.
    Congrats - you'll love the seat heaters for winter.

Yep, even coming from a seat-heater-hater, I have grown to like the ones on my '10 Forester. :blush:
    Warms my buns and back. I like that it has both.
  • ccarniccarni Member Posts: 1
    I've been exchanging emails with the local dealer and have the cap cost at $20,935 for a base 2.5x Forester. He said with the $20,935 cap cost, my payment will be $247.10 for 36 months 10K. Should I assume that does not include taxes? Anybody know the current residual and money factor he used to get there?
  • 3rdrowseat3rdrowseat Member Posts: 2
    Touring with:
    - Navigation system
    - AutoDim Mirror w/ homelink
    - Luggage compartement cover
    - Rear bumper cover
    - Splash guard kit
    - Cargo tray and all weather floor mats

According to Edmunds, invoice price $29150

Negotiated $28995, out the door after all taxes and fees $30250.

Good price?
    Congrats and yes, the dealer's gotta feed his kids, go easy on 'em next time. :shades:
  • johnjohn8johnjohn8 Member Posts: 2
    I'm buying 2 foresters. The following is the price quoted:

2011 auto forester premium with all weather package, cargo tray, luggage cover, and all weather mats for $23,600 including all fees except tax and DMV fees

2011 auto with alloy wheel package, cargo tray, luggage cover, all weather mats for $21,200 including all fees except tax and DMV fees

What do you think?
    Thanks
    2? Use that as leverage to get one dealer to give you deep discounts on both purchases.
  • johnjohn8johnjohn8 Member Posts: 2
    I never bought a new car before and those are the cheapest prices i can get so far. Are they good?
    Compare them to what you can find at Fitzmall.com, a no-haggle dealer here in the mid atlantic. That'll give you an idea of what people are paying, at least in this region.