Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jefbakjefbak Posts: 19
    You might want to craigslist or ebay your CRV and then negotiate for $21,500 for Forester Automatic with Premium package.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    The drawback with that plan is that he'd have to pay tax on the full purchase price instead of the couple thousand difference if he traded in his Honda. Oh wait, they don't have sales tax in Alaska do they :P

-Frank
  • saabskisaabski Posts: 57
    Hello all,

I have an offer of $19,999 (before TT&L, including Destination) for a 2007 Forester X auto. This price is including the $1,500 rebate and about $1,100 dealer discounts.
    The MSRP on the vehicle is about $22,600. I think I could do better by at least $1,000. Am I way off? I'm in Texas.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • saabskisaabski Posts: 57
    Sorry about that-$19,999 INCLUDES the destination fee, but it is before taxes and fees. :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You can do better in the MD area, try fitzmall.com. But in some regions, like Alaska, that would probably be a great price.

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,264
    I guess you can probably squeeze another $500-700 out of the dealer, $1K might be pushing it. In California, I've got Forester X 2006 last August for $19200 - but at that time rebate was $2K, plus 07's were arriving to the lots en mass.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    I don't think you're out of line. Assuming there are no options, total invoice is $21,400. Take off the rebate to get $19,900, and another $1000 in dealer incentives would be $18,900. $19k would be a great target.
  • dfpinedfpine Posts: 9
    I live in NYC. After sending out quote requests to 16 dealers nearest my zip code for out-the-door price excl. TTL, I got maybe three bids that are at or below $20K. Sticker price with a handful of options (e.g. rear bumper cover, auto-dimming mirror with compass, and splash guards) is $23,076 while invoice is $21,664 before $1,500 rebate. The rest of the dealers either say they won't go any lower than their $20K+ bids or say that the dealers that made the low bids would mark up with bogus charges when I go there. I'm gonna go for the lowest deal, and hope that I won't be disappointed. What do you guys think?

Btw I have to thank people who mentioned fitzmall.com in this forum. Although I live in NYC this serves as a great reference point for how low the dealers could get.
    Isn't the Forester X Auto with Premium package the most likly trim level after the base to try and negoiate for? At the dealers I vistied in western mass they either had the base or premium package or ll bean models. No XT or Limiteds...
    For affordability, I decided to stick with Base because it has a $1,500 rebate instead of $500 offered on higher trims. That makes the Premium at least $2K more than Base... Besides the power seat there isn't much in the premium package I seriously wished for. We were looking at leather option initially but the LL Bean package only has beige leather instead of the black leather on the XT Limited. Then we sort of talked ourselves into getting a more utility version of the Forester.

Almost all dealers have at least 3-5 Base models when I was clicking through each one's inventory in NY metro. Far fewer LL Bean's but there are a lot of Premium's too. Maybe the Premium will be offered with a higher rebate next month?
    The lower rebate was a bummer. I don't know if it was because I purchased ours on December 31st or not, but I got the premium package for $21500.
    I really wanted the power heated seats.
    I think that 19,500 is a good price, and over $20k is too much. Be proactive and just e-mail the low bidder to see what their additional fees are. If you're comfortable trying it, tell 'em you'll come in & buy that day if they drop the fee, or see if they'll offer a couple free oil changes to make up for the cost of the fee, whatever's reasonable.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Guess I'm lucky to be on the West Coast. Very competitive market. Weekend ad prices for X auto's with some options $18.5k. Can't decide... go new or used. Don't like the 06+ front but the used market is crazy. A couple year old used ones with asking prices above new ones. Selling prices just a bit less.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It was the same thing last year, except the rebate was 2k on the base X and just 1k on the Premium and higher models.

-juice
    At these prices, go new - you'll get a better vehicle, fewer maintenance expenses, better price when you go to re-sell or trade, often a better finance rate, and that "new car smell". :) When the next Forester bodystyle comes out, you can see if you like the looks better and then upgrade without too big of a depreciation hit.

We ran into that same dilemma purchasing our last 3 Subies. Started looking, expecting to purchase lightly used 1-year-old vehicles, and ended up buying new one 2 of the 3 times because it was actually cheaper to go new. The one time we did go with a used vehicle instead, it was because they no longer offered the trim we wanted (Outback 3.0R).

I'm just north of you in the Seattle area - pretty competitive pricing here, too. You've got Carr, we've got Carter, Nos. 1 & 4 in national sales. $18.5 is very good for auto X w/options. I wonder if the factory-to-dealer incentives have increased... I know Forester sales were down slightly.
    Amazing thing is, it's not Carr that has the deals right now. Carr has one on ad, but with fewer options. I really like the 03-05 X look. Not fond of the 06+ exterior redesign. Looked at the X Sport at the Autoshow, and while I like the new front there are no driving lights.
    Get an '07 X, change out the grille with the nice X Sports mesh grille. I bet it'd be pretty easy to do or have done.
    Bought a low mileage 05 X today... OTD for $16k. One owner trade on a new Saab (poor guy). Fair price. Looked at the 07's and just couldn't stomach the front end. I much prefer the black bumpers too.
    Hey, maybe it was traded in for a 9-2X (the "Saabaru"). That would be one Saab I'd own.
    I'm thinking of getting extended warranty on the 07 Forester 2.5 X I'm picking up this week. Does anyone know how much a dealer would charge for Subaru's Gold Plus 7-year/100K-mile plan would cost? I read that they have $0, $50 and $100 deductible variations... Would someone know the price points for them?

I have AAA right now so if I get the Gold Plus plan I can get rid of it at an annual savings of almost $80. GEICO also has some basic roadside assistance plan for about $10 more per year.