Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Hi all,

I've been a lurker for a couple of months gathering info and I appreciate all the posts!

This week I will be taking possession of the '09 Forester to replace my '97 GT Limited which served me well.

Steel Silver

Moonroof Air Deflector
    Subwoofer
    Ash Tray

25K + t/t

Could have had the same with Utility Pkg for 25.6K but personally I don't care for the look with the wheel arch molding.

Anyone in SE PA or N Delaware should consider Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square PA...customer oriented folks who found me the configuration I wanted at, what I think is, a fair price.
  • Hi All,

I am a lurker for a while also. Wondering any folks here would recommend Subaru dealers at Chicago area? :confuse:
    Checked this thread but didn't find a decisive recommendation.

Thanks a lot.
  • Ok, I went to bat for you. I have been working him over a bit. I have a 2009 Forester 2.5XT silver steel metallic w/gray leather interior. pw/pl/pm/ac/cc,ab/sab/17 in aly whl.tnt glass/sun rf/vdc,pwr seat/ltr, prem audio/AWP/fl,roof splr. Popular Equipment 1A: luggage compartment cover, cargo tray, rear bumper cover and splash guard kit.

MSRP: $ 29,311.00.
    36 months/12 k miles
    $1000.00 down
    $423.77/month
  • Just put a deposit on a 2009 Forester 2.5XT w/popular equipment 1A
    Worked out a lease deal as follows
    36 mo/12k miles
    1000.00 down (included first month payment, bank fee, title, license)
    $412.21/month

Figures were as follows: paid approx 300.00 over dealer invoice for vehicle
    Residual- 60%
    Money Factor- .00175
    Happy with the deal and excited to get the car!
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Hey congratulations! Sounds like you had a great buying experience.

"didn't push terribly hard on the mop&glo products"

Love that description :D

-Frank
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    "'09 Forester to replace my '97 GT Limited"

Wow! That's going to be a night-&-day difference :shades:

Here's wishing you another 12 years of happy Subaru ownership!

-Frank
  • I have very limited experience with a couple of dealerships in Libertyville, but if you're interested in doing a little traveling I highly recommend Don Jacobs Subaru in Milwaukee. They honored an internet quote from another dealer, never did the full court press to make me buy (probably cuz they knew I was getting a Forester from somebody), and they offer free oil changes for life.

Worth driving 80 miles or so....maybe, maybe not. But I say when you know exactly what you want start requesting internet quotes from far and wide.
  • lily4lily4 Posts: 4
    Hi, I will buy a 2009 forester from Heuberger, colorado. Anyone has experience with them? I live in SLC, utah. So they will ship the car to me. Do they pay TTL and registration fee if you buy from other states? In Salt Lake, both fees are included in final price, which means you go to DMV and buy plate and don't need to pay any other fee there. I asked them if this final fee includes TTL and registration fee, they don't give me an answer. Thanks!
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    I bought from Heuberger as an out-of-state customer. They processed the paperwork for my state and charged me the sales tax required for my area. I haven't gotten anything from the local DMV yet.

I am not terribly concerned about the tag cost and title fee since those are typically small potatoes. If Heuberger screwed it up somehow and I have to pay $50 to the local DMV that's OK. My main concern was getting the sales tax right since that is thousands of dollars. I checked with my local DMV before I went to Colorado and verified the right % with the F&I when I got to Heuberger.
    They do charge the right sale tax for me. There is a separate file showed the right tax rate. But TTL and title fee is more than $200 here. If it is $50, I will pay it.
    Hi capitano, did they show TTL fee in the document you signed? When you went to your local DMV, did they charge you some fee except plate fee? Thanks!
  • Thanks. Will check it out. We live in downtown, maybe a little far, but it won't hurt to ask.
  • Had a great experience at the Lou Fusz Subaru in St. Peters, MO. Those guys were awesome. I highly recommend going there. They helped me purchase a 09 Forester X Premium w/ All-weather package 4spd auto. The dealer also added:

-Auto dimming mirror/compass
    -Cargo tray
    -All weather floor mats
    -Fog lamp kit
    -Rear bumper cover
    -Splash guard kit

Sticker price: $25.501
    Invoice: $23,750
    Purchase price: $23,441

The price includes destination charge.$107.00 in other fees were added too, but I still ended up under the maximum amount I was willing to pay. I also qualified for the 4.9% APR.
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    I just completed the registration this morning. The county treasurer got the documents on Friday. I wasn't terribly concerned about all the fees. My main concern was the sales tax. I hadn't registered a vehicle here before, but I knew the fee wasn't much as they charge property tax. I wasn't worried about that either as I get a military exemption for that.

Anyway, Heuberger charged me the correct sales tax for my county. They were going to charge me more, but they did as I instructed and just had me initial where the rate was on one of their forms. They charged me a TTL fee of $17.20 which turned out to be wrong. The registration was $18 and title was $10 so they should have charged $18. The other mistake was that they didn't include their $389 doc fee as part of the taxable amount so they undercharged me on sales tax. That's not their fault though. When it was all said and done I had to pay $12 to get my plate this morning.

Heuberger aren't experts on every state's rules and fees. If you research everything up front you can tell them what things to add to the contract so you can get as close as possible and get as much of it rolled into the loan as you want.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter from a large business magazine would like to speak with consumers who downsized from an SUV to a crossover or minivan to get better fuel economy. If you downsized for better fuel economy, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, November 24th.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• So I've decided to go with the 2.5x Premium + All weather package in Manual. This is what I've been quoted:

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/ All Weather Package Manual:
    MSRP $23,760
    E-Price $21,720

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium + AWP Manual + luggage cover, cargo tray, bumper cover, splash guards, and tailpipe covers:
    MSRP $24,309
    E-Price $21,994

Or with this option, $100 more for Aero cross bars as well.

All this includes destination costs as well. Are these a pretty good deal or should I try to negotiate some more. Also, financing deals are pretty important to me, but doesn't look like Subaru has anything better than 4.9% right now. Anyone here about better ones lately? Thank you.
  • Getting ready to purchase automatic 2009 Forester Premium with All-Weather Package for $23918 that includes:

splash guards
    luggage carrier
    rear cargo net
    bumper protector
    cargo tray

Dealership also says Subaru offers vehicle maintenance program and says it covers all service including oil changes up to 36000 miles for $995.

They also mentioned a tire and rim 5-year protection for $399.

I am curious if I am getting good deal and if the service and tire protection is worth the money. Thanks
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/ All Weather Package Manual:
    MSRP $23,760
    E-Price $21,720

I bought one just like this, except with Ipod interface added on, for 21,500 OTD. It seems you should be able to grind another 300-500 off
  • 2008 Subaru Forester Sports XT Sport Utility
    15K Miles
    Standard features as far as I can tell.
    $22,875
  • kkrtrek---did you ever figure out an answer to this question?

I am considering buying an 09 Forester Limited and I have the ability to get a VIP program discount, but from reading this board it seems like people may be able to beat that program discount through getting dealers to give lowest offer online......

As far as I know the VIP price is 2% below dealer cost (for both car & accessories) but I am unsure how that compares to what you'd be able to do if you negotiate online.

I'm considering trying both options, but I part of me doesnt want to go through the trouble of negotiating with dealers online...

The other question around the VIP program for me is whether to bring that up before or after I negotiate trade-in value and define available financing terms..... I'm just worried the dealer will short-cut my tradein to make their money if they know they won't make it on the car price..... I'm not planning to buy until mid-December so if you buy before then please let me know how it goes !! :)
  • 2.5 X Premium, Auto, All-Weather Package, Utility Package (aero cross bars, wheel arch moldings, rear bumper cover and splash guards), Auto Dimming compass mirror with Homelink, All Weather floor mats--

$23,899

I figure this to be approx. $60 over invoice. Seems like a decent internet quote. Any advice on where to go from here? Is this a quote I should take to other dealers? I'm going to need a really good purchase price to get to the kind of lease payment I need.

Thanks much, appreciate all the great feedback and info here.
  • I placed an order for the X-limited at bill kolb subaru. When the car came in, I brought a check for the full amount. However, I was told that I can't pick up the car till the following week (the car was sitting on the lot with my name on it). I was told that they don't have the time to have a salesperson show me around the car.

I informed them that I paid for the car in full and should be able to pick it up when I want it. They informed me that unless I came by that specific day at a specific time they would not give me the car because they will not have a salesperson to help me. They want their sales people to concentrate as much time on selling the car and spend as little time as possible actually getting the car to the customer.

When I came back to get the car, the sales person handed me the keys and said "all you need to know is in the instruction manual" and then asked me if there is anything I needed to now. I asked him about filling the car with gas and he said "oh yea, make sure that the cap clicks when you close it".

That was it!!!! I will never buy from them again! :mad:

http://www.bkcars.com/
  • red927red927 Posts: 118
    When I picked up my wife's new Subaru Legacy last month, I noticed that the window sticker had a listing for a "Full Tank of Gas". When I pointed it out to the staff, they gave me cash to fill it up!
  • At least I got the full gas tank. But then again, they had over 10 days to fill up the car because they did not want to release it to me unless I came by during a very specific and small window of time.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats to capitano, pokeyone, golfnff, and KingAJ (you are the 3rd AJ on these forums, wow!).

fastLayne: did you close the deal?

If anyone is looking for a price reference, go to fitzmall.com. They have no-haggle pricing and if you can beat them, you're golden, IMHO.

VIP is 2% under invoice, IIRC. Seems like dealers are dealing, so you may not have to go through the trouble.

We used VIP back in May to order one, but supply was still very short back then.
  • Following your recommendation I went to fitzmall.com, but I couldn't find options listed anywhere. Without knowing the options included on a particular vehicle I can't compare w/ other dealer quotes. Am I missing something on their website?

Thanks!
  • Hi, got this price from a Subaru dealer in Bayridge, Brooklyn- 20,750 $ excluding NY state taxes (1737.82) and new plates (160) and other fee of 25$. Total out the door price was 22,715.32$. dealer MSRP ~ 22,090$ and dealer invoice at 21,078$. The only thing extra in the car given by the dealer was all weather mats and a full tank of gas- no other extra attachments. Looked like the salesman/manager would have gone down by ~ 500$ more if I waited for a week to two more. Little not satisfied with the deal - felt that I should have not rushed in to the deal- anyways guys- please let me know how this deal was-- ur comments awaited !!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    If you select several vehicles to compare, or click on any one, then you'll see more details.

Also, you can look at the least and most expensive for one particular model, to get a real-world price range.
  • sjtashsjtash Posts: 27
    I live on Long Island, NY and am looking for the best deal on the 2.5XT Limited.

Anyone buy one recently, where, how was your experience and what should I look to pay? I was estimating $28,500.

Any thoughts?
  • Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience about purchasing a certified preowned 2009 Forester Premium from a dealer that had previously been used as a loaner car when customers dropped off their cars for repair. It has low miles and is certified so it has an extended powertrain warranty of 6 years, 100K miles. My concern is that it had several drivers who might not be concerned about the long term condition of the car.

Approximately how much less should I expect to pay for this car versus a comparably equipped new 09 Forester?

I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks