Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• feliciatwofeliciatwo Posts: 68
    I have a 2004 subaru Outback limited with under 8,000 mi which I'm going to sell (plan to buy hybrd/diesal genre).Would like others opinion on where you think the best market for it is. I live in Florida however I drive up to "middle America" twice a year around Indiana/KY area. Don't you think Subaru is better appreciated there than here?
    appreciate any suggestions
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    $19k for a new XT would be highway robbery!!! :surprise:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    There would be more demand, but also more supply, i.e. competing used vehicles.

Go ahead and list it now and see if anyone bites. If not then take it up with you and try again over there.

Lots of demand here in the Mid Atlantic and especially in New England, too.
  • maria14maria14 Posts: 2
    It was the X, but with one of the packages included (rubber floor mats, cargo area mat and mud flaps).
  • llaugustllaugust Posts: 1
    My recent experience purchasing a Forester 2.5x was the best ever, thanks to the information provided by this forum. To return the favor, here are the particulars of my deal. I purchased a new 2007 end of year model (108 miles on the OD) from Stohlman in Tysons Corner Virginia. My salesperson was the most laid back fellow I've ever encountered in a dealership. I won't violate the forum rules by posting names, but his initials are CP and I highly recommend his service. MRSP was $21,195. Invoice was $19945 and the internet price was $17,945. I got the internet price (no fuss, no muss) minus $1500 for my 1999 Ford Explorer, about $40 less than the Kelley trade-in value (I knew my Ford's transmission and engine were about to fall apart, so I was happy with the trade). Taxes were $605 (3% on the sum of the invoice price and $225 processing fee that was noted on their website (tax rates can be verified on state DMV websites). Tags, registration and a 0.17% dealer's business license tax came to $55. So the bottom line for me was $17,331. Using the warranty pricing at stevemoyersubaru.com and the discount advice on this forum (ask for 50% discount, settle for 40%), I got a Gold Plus 7/70 plan for $738. But I have since returned it (Subaru gives you 90 days to return it with full refund). I decided the 5/50 on the powertrain was good enough. I love my Forester and can't imagine that a 2008 would have been worth another $3300. Thanks to all for the excellent advice.
    5/60 you mean. I'm sure that was just a typo.

Congrats! :shades:
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Congratulations! Glad your purchase experience was so positive (great deal, by the way!). I wish more dealerships would realize an easy, no-hassle experience like this makes people actually enjoy buying cars and brings in repeat business and new business through positive word-of-mouth.

Doesn't it feel great to come out of a dealership feeling happy & like you got a great deal? :D :shades:
  • Hello,

Just wanted to add my experience.

Forester 2.5x, 5spd, basic package.

Sticker was $21,946. I took in an ad from a competing dealer that said $4500 off sticker on ALL '07s in stock. They matched it without a mountain of fuss. I actually bought a $549 oil change card (dealer), to throw them a bone, and because we tend to keep our cars until hell freezes. In fact, I bought the Forester to replace a '91 Loyale wagon with 225k on the clock, and a blown head gasket (I decided not to fix it).

It was a smooth deal, though I don't think that I "stole" it. They (of course) tried to get me to buy all sorts of nonsense, including extended service packages and paint sealant, all of which would have added a bunch. I think that the service package to 72k miles was $2200!

Best of luck to you all. Here in Portland, the '07 inventory seems to be winding down, and in fact, I saw another car sale closing as we were picking up ours.
    Under $17.5k for your 5-spd 2.5X... very nice. :shades:
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Now it's $4500 off MSRP for all Foresters and $10,000 off MSRP for remaining 06 & 07 Tribecas.

http://adserver1.harvestadsdepot.com/portorgonian/ss/carrsubaru/001/001_001AD/001_001AD.shtml
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    That must be local only, not national or regional.

$4500 off MSRP is about right normally anyway: most Subies sell for invoice, then subtract the current $2000 rebate (at least on the X model) and you'll easily get near a total of $4500 off MSRP.

-Brian
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    Hmm, maybe I need a Tribeca...
    Yep. Just a local ad. I've seen better prices on the X before, but $4500 off all Foresters in stock is pretty good.

Starting at $10,000 off the Tribeca is a great deal! Didn't see any 06's available, but they have a 07 5 passenger limited that would run about $23,600 with that kind of discount. If I only I needed one. :-)
    They still have brand new 2006 Tribecas? :confuse:
    Ad said 06 and 07. No 06's listed in Subaru dealer inventory, but they might have one or two. They haven't been selling like hotcakes around here.
    23K range for a limited is tempting. 07 or no, 10k buys a lot of premium fuel. A 5 pass limited in the 21k range would get me in a lot of trouble...
  • vtkahnsvtkahns Posts: 10
    Potentially looking for a Forester.. got it down to the premimum package as what we would like.. the 2007 has 1000 off msrp .. 2008 $500.. but seems to me as if the MSRP is 1100 less on the 2008s.. no brainer ? However.. the financing deals may not apply to the 2008s as it currently does to the 2007s.

Saw an advertised 2007 in Maine (I am in Vermon) for $21,100..Seems like quite a deal. Not the color we were after so they are searching around for that and perhaps coming close on the 2008.

Anyone offer their experience on the choice upon me ?

Thanks

S
    $21.1K for the 07 XT sounds mighty good; is this for a sports or a limited?
  • vtkahnsvtkahns Posts: 10
    This is for the 07 X (oops) with Prem Package.. 5 speed...

They have an 08 5SP X w/ Prem Package coming off the boat in the next week for $21,498 so far..with little back and forth.. We thought we wanted Urban Grey which is gone for 08.. replaced with a much darker grey..hate the black car I have now.. impossible to keep clean..I hope the dark grey is easier than that.

Is this still a decent aggressive price for the X / PP ?

S
    That's a good offer for the '08... not sure what the factory-to-dealer incentives are on the '08 Premium, but I'd bet at best they could only drop a few hundred dollars... price seems well worth it to go for the '08 vs. '07. Only changes are illuminated driver's side window switches & PZEV badges (which would apply in VT & ME), but you'd get a year's better resale for only a couple hundred bucks up front.

And yes, it looks like you can't combine rebates & incentives on the '08s, but get pre-qualified at a local bank or credit union - someone else can probably give you just as good a rate, and you can always use the bank's rate as a bargaining chip with the dealership's finance dept. My dealership's always been able to beat the rates of our very competitive local credit union.

Besides the new dark gray, there's also a new Steel Silver Metallic color available on the '08s. The dark gray's nice, but if you hate the black, I'd hold out for this color, which would be very low maintenance:

Sounds like you're well on your way to a great deal! :shades: