Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    It's fairly common for cars left on dealer's lots to have dead batteries (careless test drivers) and if they replaced the battery I wouldn't worry. Besides, it should still have another 6 months at least left on the original warranty in case there is something else wrong.

-Frank
  • mb789mb789 Posts: 89
    That happened to me when I went to look at a new Forester. It wouldn't start. I passed on that one though, and bought another one.
    P.S. I usually go with my gut on these -- the dealer where the first one wouldn't start -- I drove a second new Forester, and each time I would put it from reverse to drive it made a "ping" noise. I passed on that one too. The salesman was not very happy -- thought he was being strung along by someone who couldn't make up their mind. So I drove a third one and bought it.

If you are uncomfortable, you don't want that nagging doubt in your mind to spoil your enjoyment.

Another example -- I'd love to have a Jeep Wrangler, but all the posts on these forums that I've read about them having stalling problems while driving makes me too uneasy to buy one.

Do what gives you peace of mind.
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    7800 miles on an 05? and 15K? That vehicle does not even have enough miles on it for something to be wrong. I would carfax it and try to get another 500 off. I bought a new 04 X for 17K. That is actually a very good deal for an i.e. new car. Why so few miles is a question that comes to mind.
  • mart2mart2 Posts: 4
    Carfax shows one owner (with title & inspections done in the next town over from me). The dealer says the seller was movung to barbados--that's why he sold it. As for the low mileage, it might be that he was more of a seasonal resident (in a resort town) and just might not have driven it that much. The dealer has tried to reassure me about the warranty. Im going to try getting it down at least $5k.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,348
    Don't shoot the messenger, but, get it down 'at least $5k'? Prepare to be disappointed.
  • mart2mart2 Posts: 4
    Oops! Serious typo...I meant $500. ... Im not sure if I succeeded after all the juggling with my trade-in value. Let's just say I got them down $0, but they gave me what they considered a generous amount on my trade-in.
    Does anyone know anything about or have you used the guaranteed trade-in program when buying another Subaru? I have a 2006 Forester X, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Forester Premium or an Outback. Thanks.

I was on the My Subaru page recently, but didn't see anything about the program -- is it offered only certain times during the year?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    It seems to be buried a little, but found it on Subaru.com with a search... here's the link:
    http://www.subaru.com/misc/gtp/2007/eligible.jsp

Looks like you'd better be quick, though. Must take delivery by Oct. 31. I've not used the program, but others here have... hopefully they'll chime in. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Go get it appraised. Some people were pleasantly surprised.

Someone had an Outback Sport with a KBB in the $11-12k range and they were offered something like $16k.

Run, don't walk, I say.

I really hope our 2002 Legacy is eligible for this when the new Foresters arrive. I'm all over that deal.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I guess tonight could be our Crew World Series party since last night's game makes me think there's a slim chance the Series might not last until next Thursday! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

I used the program a year ago trading in my 04 X for an 07 Premium Package. I know I got a good deal that did exceed all the values as stated and it was kind of proved by the fact that my dealer didn't want it and let Subaru take it to Colorado I heard. My dealer said they couldn't make any money due to how much Subaru gave me... I was maxed out on the mileage limitations of the deal and had gotten the goodies out of my 04...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Do you remember the mileage limit? Is it fixed, or based on the model year?
    I think they give you 15K a year. I was at like 44K with a 45K limit on a three year old vehicle. It wouldn't have been as good a deal if I had a lot less miles...
    I tried to use this program to trade in my car today, but apparently my car's VIN number is not included. I got nowhere with Subaru except jacked around at the dealership. I was ready to buy a 2008 Forester TODAY, but they weren't being straight with me and were trying to jack up the interest rate, lied about my trade-in value, etc. I was very disgusted when I left there. :mad:
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,348
    I thought the current advertised trade-in program was a promotional deal to get people into the new Impreza. GTP was only given to used Imprezas that were traded towards a 08. I'd guess we may see it this promo again when the new Forester comes out next year...
    The dealership tried to access this trade-in program as a last ditch effort to "try to get me more for my trade," because they weren't really giving me what they said they were giving me (and could've easily given me) in the first place. Long story. . . bad ending for them. :shades:
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Yes, it seems GTP's only being offered on 2002-2006 Imprezas being traded in on any new '08 Subaru in dealer's inventory (take delivery by Oct. 31).

Funny thing is, you'd think it'd be the opposite, i.e. trade any 2002-2006 Subaru in on an '08 Impreza. Don't know why they'd encourage only Impreza owners to buy any '08 Subie. Perhaps it boosts resale value on Impreza, allowing them to offer lower lease rates down the road on '08 Imprezas.
  • I have a quote on a new 2007 Forester 2.5X LL Bean Edition with Homelink, Rear Bumper Cover, Beige Cargo Tray, a set of All Weather mats, and the custom tail pipe cover, for $23800.

Anyone able to comment on this proposal?

Thanks,
    John
  • I went to Appleway Subaru, Spokane, WA today... To see what my 05 Ford Freestyle is worth trade in.

According to them, $10,600, a bit low?

A subaru Forester X prem. 08 at about 27k or so, meaning 17k with their trade in value and ballpark 360/month.

Camp Subaru, a different dealer in the same town, may offer a higher value but only if I'm ready to deal.
    Advice?

I did email Appleway person telling them to up the trade in value of my freestyle [has 24200ish miles on it] to 13-14k, then possibly I'd be willing to work something out.

Again, comments?