Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Could be - that would certainly be more flexible.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686
    It depends entirely on who is offering the maintenance plan. If it is offered by Subaru directly, then yes, you could use it at any authorized location. If it is offered as a dealer maintenance plan (which they often are), then it can likely only be used at that dealership or at dealerships that share ownership.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • milton50milton50 Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal?

I am in Orange County California...

I have the 2010 Subaru Forester Limited also in the Obsidian Black Color.

Color : Obsidian Black
    MSRP 27,720.00
    Invoice 25,833.00
    Selling price 24,833.00 plus tax and licence.

Auto dimming mirror with homelink, cargo tray, splash guards, rear bumper cover and luggage cover.
    Sounds like you stole it.

Don't you feel a bit guilty? I mean, the dealer's gotta feed his kids!

Just kidding, but congrats! :shades:
  • stoopystoopy Posts: 105
    I am assuming your "SELLING PRICE" included money you put down or trade equity.

If my first guess is wrong then my second guess is they told you the "SALE PRICE" is $24,833 then added at least $750 in "DEALER FEES" to get you back near invoice.

There is no way you could get $1000 under invoice with nothing down and no massive dealer fee. Dealer holdback is only $831.60 and they wouldn't even be able to give you all of that. The dealership has to MAKE money to pay the employees and pay the electric bill, etc.
  • imaginaryimaginary Posts: 61
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone here bought a Forester with options that are not factory installed? From what I've seen on the Internet, the puddle light kits and interior illumination kits are not factory installed. I'm wondering if the dealer HAS to install them when the car arrives from factory order or the dealer gives you the option of allowing you to do it yourself or pay your mechanic to install it her/himself. And then I'm curious if they're still covered under the warranty if you do it yourself or have your own mechanic install the non-factory installed options.

I was quoted under invoice quite a bit but I'm pretty sure the "special dealer fees" my salesperson e-mailed me about are in addition to the labor fees to install my other options.
    Most are port-installed, i.e. they're installed here in the US after they arrive by ship.

The advantage of that is you don't pay labor and they're covered by warranty.

You can install them at the dealer but then you have to pay for labor. They should still be covered by warranty.

Finally, you can install them yourself, but then they're not covered by warranty, IIRC.
  • nycjswnycjsw Posts: 14
    Virginia
    Got a 2010 Forester 2.5x Premium Edition with AT, All-Weather Package and popular option 1b.
    MSRP = $25,341
    Got the price down to $23,330 with All-Weather mats included in the deal.

Out the door at $24,340 with taxes, tags, processing fee etc.

So far we are very happy with the car and the dealer was great to work with.
  • gopalangopalan Posts: 6
    hi

I got the following offer from Atlanta:

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/All-Weather Pkg SUV.
    Options:
    * All Weather Floor Mats
    * Auto-Dim Mirror Compass
    * Black Cargo Tray
    * Rear Bumper Cover
    * Side Cargo Net
    * Splash Guard Kit

Invoice: 23,730
    document fee: 499
    title:43
    price:24272
    tax 6%:1456.32
    Drive Out:25728.32

I said I will be trading for my 2000 honda civic lx 120K kbb good value:2200

Invoice: 23,730
    Trade in:2200 -
    document fee: 499 +
    title:43 +
    price:22072
    tax 6%:1324.32
    Dirve Out:23396.32

I asked them 22000 drive out. Their new offer is 22890 + (2.9% 5 year). I think yours is better than mine.

Thanks
    I used the guide given at the autobrag website that showed you should pay about 7.27% to 10.27% below MSRP. I did not have a trade in. See what Carmax will give you for your old car. Edmunds will give you the MSRP of you car with all the options. Also, I did all my deal over the phone over 2 hours (lots of phone call back and forth). It helped being at home by the computer on my home turf :)

Good luck
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Are you in the northern Virginia region? If so, which dealer did you work with?

I am still checking inventory on line, want to drive both a Forester and an Outback (and a couple of non-Subarus) before making my decision.
  • gopalangopalan Posts: 6
    thanks for the response the site autobrag really helps me to find the price.
    I live in Richmond but most dealers can have a car shipped in from another dealer in a few days.

The autobrag site will help as will Edmunds by showing you the invoice for all the options. Don't be afraid to try to make a deal over the phone. That is how I'm doing it from now on when buying a new car.
  • xcountryflyerxcountryflyer Posts: 30
    edited March 2010
    Don't have the exact information in front of me, but will try to get more details.

2010 Forester Premium 5-speed Manual blue (encouraged her to get the manual to maximize the power and flexibility of the engine, especially since the auto is an outdated 4-speed). Unfortunately, the higher models only come with AT.

Options:
    All-weather package
    Day/night mirror
    Cargo mat
    Service package $1500
    Aftermarket leather $1600

From what I gleaned, they got the car under invoice before the service package and leather. Something like $3K below MSRP, which puts it under invoice. I wish they had asked or taken me, they definitely should have paid less for the service package and leather package. I guess the dealership made the profit on those two.

I'm encouraging her to get the fog lights. I think I can install them from reading that they are largely plug and play and the car is pre-wired.

This dealer is in the SF Bay area.
  • ary08ary08 Posts: 1
    I haven't bought a new car in awhile so I wanted to check this price:

2010 Forester Limited

no additional options

MSRP 26,990
    Invoice 24,355
    TMV 25,279 with destination of 695 included

Georgetown Subaru
    Norwalk, CT

24,799 including destination

+ 279 dealer conveyance
    +6% tax
    +163 DMV registration

so, 26,745 out the door

It seems like a ok deal and I like the fact that they emailed me a straight forward quote.
    Any feedback on this dealer, price or other CT experiences would be a great help.
    I was able to get almost $400 below invoice with the destination charge. If you get close you can always get them to throw in some goodies. I would think you could get another $500 out of the deal. But in your market the prices might be a bit more firm like in the NW.
  • firstsubfirstsub Posts: 11
    Just traded my 2009 Premium x Forester with 62,500 miles for a 2010! I was able to pay off the first loan and purchase another car with 0 milage for same payment. The 2009 Forester was going to need new tires and brakes soon, probably around $ 1000 complete. So now I'm drinving a new one. Saved $ Here's my deal:

Fitzmall, MD

2010 Forester X premium w/All Weather package-PZEV

auto dim mirror w/ compass
    body side mouldings
    rear bumper guard
    wheel locks
    luggage cover
    all weather mats
    lugage tray

$ 23,494 car
    $ 24,549 OTD with title, tags NY state tax

I traveled from Long Island top MD in 4 hours. Transaction took 2 hours. Very smooth. I would recommed this dealer. No one in my area would meet price.

We got ours their too, and had a similarly good experience.

Auto or manual?

Ours is a PZEV Limited (auto is the only way those come).
    Wow.... 62,500 on an '09! That's impressive! :surprise:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Auto X Premium w/all weather.
    My 2009 was one of the first. I bought in in May of 08. As you see , I,m in the car alot. As I mentioned, The car was running fine however it was more economical to purchase a new car since it needed routine maintenance like tires and brakes. I was very impressed with Yoko G95 tires. Long tread life. This car could easily run to 150,000 miles with normal maintenance The 2010 is very similar however I think they worked out some of the kinks. I don't know if I would purchase a new model year again.
    Congrats. Did you know that's the model that has the very best residual value? It holds the highest percentage of its original value, up to 62% of its MSRP after 3 years. :shades:

Best in class, also. So best Forester model and best small SUV for resale.
  • 2010 Forester 2.5x Limited
    Obsidian Black
    Auto Trans
    Popular Package 4B (puddle lights, auto dim mirror and homelink)
    Luggage Cover
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Splash Guards
    Subwoofer

$24,500
    $969 Warranty
    $270 Colorado State Taxes Only
    Congrats. How long is that extended warranty?
  • 5 yr / 100,000 miles.

we could have gotten the 7 yr, but we drive so much, we would most likely hit the 100,000 miles before 7 yrs.
    Yeah? I'm the opposite. It would take me 10 years to go 70,000 miles, mostly because we have 3 cars for 2 drivers.

Cheers.
  • wyldcat89wyldcat89 Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2010 Forester X Premium with the all weather package and a manual transmission OTD for $21868 up in Vancouver, WA. The dealer up there beat EVERYONE's price without having to haggle. The transaction was smooth and effortless, probably the best experience buying a car so far.
    Congrats, great price!

What color?
  • kvuokvuo Posts: 2
    i suspect wyldcat89 bought at the same place I just got mine here in vancouver wa... I got the basic 2.5x automatic with se pkg (wheels and roof rails?) for $19988.. with WA sales tax and the rest of the nonsense, out the door ~$21700

as it is my first new-new car, I found the experience somewhat tolerable -- definately better than buying used.. I still don't understand why it takes 2 hours to buy a car when you're paying cash, though... and as usual, they will try to get you to buy warranties, security systems, once you're in the box.. I find it tedious after awhile - no no no i don't want that garbage.. just sell me the car at the price we agreed upon!
    Sounds great. The X's new SE package is really a fantastic deal. The 16" wheels should be standard on the Premium (rather than the oversized 17") and the roof rails alone are worth the $400 sticker price for the package. If this package was available last September, there is a good chance I would have gone with it rather than upgrading to the premium, even though I have grown to really like the massive sunroof and tinted windows.