Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tpeggytpeggy Posts: 1
    We got a 2.5X on Apr 29. Spec:

4-spd auto w/sportshift,
    Pzev (Partial Zero Emission) model,
    16" alloy,
    Roof rail,
    Cargo net,
    Cargo tray,
    All-weather flr mat,
    Luggage cover,
    Rear bumper cover,
    Splash guard.

Price paid: $21,100 (1.9% APR with $500 down pay).
    Plus: $283 Doc. and State sales tax.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    If you bought a new Subaru in the past few months, a reporter may want to talk with you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 14, 2010 with your daytime contact info and the make/model you traded in.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• carshcarsh Posts: 4
    What was your price pre-sales tax? I've got an offer of $21,800 + the destination fee + TTL, totaling a little over $24K OTD. I thought that was good, but seeing your deal makes me wonder. I'm not in WA, but I don't know how that could make a huge difference.
    The car is a 2010 2.5X Premium with AWP, auto transmission with popular option 1a and the auto-dimming mirror w/homelink. Even if you add in the extra thousand for the auto, I think your deal still is $1K cheaper, right? Is the difference in the options? Thoughts? How can I get my guy to go lower?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'd print what you read here and show it to him. Ask how are other dealers able to deliver better deals?

You have to be willing to walk, though. That gives you the leverage.
  • carshcarsh Posts: 4
    Can you tell me which dealership you bought from? Thanks.
  • pilotdadpilotdad Posts: 7
    2010 Forester Special Edition, 2.5X AT $22,100 OTD. No extended warranty. Subaru of Colorado Springs (Hueberger Motors), the largest Subaru dealer in the US. They have lots and will ship. Prices quoted on their website. No hassle. Very good experience. They also advertise on Ebay.
    We got ours at Fitzgerald Subaru in Rockville, MD. They're a no-haggle dealer so you can look up prices easily:

www.fitzmall.com
  • mont_manmont_man Posts: 5
    Just drove home my Steel Silver Beauty. MSRP $27190. Price paid was 25500 plus TTL. Purchased from Bertera Subaru of Springfield,MA. Very pleasant experience with no high pressure sales tactics.
    Congrats.

Now the longest 1000 miles of your life, waiting for it to break in so you can push the engine past 4000rpm. :P
  • msrp 25155, dealer cost: 23529
    otd 23900 (6.75% tax)
    ohio byers subaru
    Sounds like a deal, congrats.
  • cocktailcocktail Posts: 1
    2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Automatic Special Edition - $20500 + TTL
    Includes: All Weather Mats, Vertical Cargo Net, Luggage Compartment Cover, Rear Bumper Cover, Cargo Tray, Auto Dim Mirror w/ Compass and Aero Cross Bars

And Gold Plus Extended Warranty 7yrs/100000 miles with $100 deducttible for $1100
    Congrats. The SE package is a great value, in fact I'm not sure that dealers should order any vehicles without it.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    Great deal, mind sharing where you got it from? Here the plain 2.5X with automatic seems to run about 20,990.
  • sleepycatsleepycat Posts: 1
    Good deal, I get a quote of base 2.5X + AT + Special Edition of 20975+TTL. No other options. Mind sharing where you got it from?
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Great deal! Here a "great price" according to Truecar.com is less than $21230....
  • Hi I need some help.

I'm planning on to buy 2010 forester premium trim or limited trim.
    How much should I spend buying it?
    How much should I not go over?
    Start with reference prices from no-haggle dealers like Van Bortel Subaru and fitzmall.com.
  • bwenusbwenus Posts: 2
    Kvuo, would you mind sharing what dealership in Vancouver WA? I checked Mike Scarff's bottom line pricing and the car only price is 21K+. So, wondering where I can get the better deal than them? I am in WA. Thanks in advance!
  • georged4georged4 Posts: 34
    A local dealer is offering me a 2010 Limited with ncludes all weather floor mats, splash guards, and rear bumper cover and puddle lights for $25,579+ tax but is adding about $100 "billing fees."

I see better prices at Fitzmall. Should I keep negotiating or consider a trip to Clearwater? Should I object to "billing Fees"
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,414
    I always find such fees "objectionable." ;)

Good luck in your search!
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    Bought one today, traded in 2009 VW Tdi Jetta Wagon.
    Paid 26,471 (that includes agreed $ 500 over invoice).
    This is my second Forester but this time it's a turbo.
    So far so good!
    Congrats. Let us know how it compares, as an owner you'd be the best one to ask.
    edited June 2010
    Cannot compare apples with oranges. I only wish Subaru would introduce their diesels on these shores. Bought Tdi Jetta last year hoping that Subaru would start selling diesels here.

But, as far as I know altough Subaru diesels are being built in Subaru plant in Indiana, all of them are exported to Europe.

Took a test drive of Forester diesel in Austria a while ago - with manual transmission.

Rumors are that the reason for not being sold here is two-fold:

It's not Calif. emission compliant and Daimler Benz's urea injection royalties are too hight for Subaru to pay.

And, Subaru does not have an automatic transmission to match their diesel engine (too much torque generated to utilize current automatic transmission).
    Let's see them address the trans issue first - a CVT that can take the torque of the turbo would be nice.
  • georged4georged4 Posts: 34
    Forester Limited 2010:
    Auto Dim, Compass, Homelink, Puddle Lights, Rear bumper cover
    All weather floor mat, Splash Guard, Luggage Cover, Interior illum kit
    Cargo Tray, Moon Roof deflector, I-Pod Tray (@ $1200 MSRP Options)

MSRP: $28,099
    Invoice: $25,802
    My Price: $25,600

I expected about $500 below invoice, but since Fitzmall prices were about the same thought this was good.
    That's pretty loaded up...congrats.
  • kvuokvuo Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    bwenus it was dick hannah.

btw i noticed someone else in this thread someone talk about the 1000 miles break in... I passed 1000 last week sometime, babying it under 4000rpm, Finally noticed today I was willing to fully goose it.. 170 horse aint bad for lil' car like this after all :)

i can only imagine what you turbo boys experience :)
    Well, being a "turbo" boy, I am waiting for that 1000 miles mark! Just passed 400 miles now...it's boring now....
    Cannot find a decent cup holder anywhere in that car, other than rear seat arm rest.
    Have a fat water bottle that does not fit anywhere up front in those odd squares between the seat. Anysuggestions out there?
  • sokkossokkos Posts: 1
    To all you soon to be Forester owners - here's what I paid.

$20,795.00 - That's for the car itself. No options.
    Plus licence and plates, plus documentation fee and Illinois sales tax ( 8 % ). Grand Subaru, Chicagoland.

My best advice for buyers is my own recent experience. First, find every dealer that you are willing to travel to. Second, make an offer via the internet ( don't be timid ). That offer should be between 5 and 10 percent below invoice ( this depends on the consumer demand for the specific trim you are making an offer for. I'm assuming demand is low for the manual transmission Forester car I was intrested in. ). In my case I offered $20,790.00 ( on a 21,501.00 Edmunds invoice or this particular dealers 22,196.00 invoice ). Wait for the reply's. In my case there were only a few of the shifties in the Chicagoland area. I felt the dealers offer of 20,795.00 for a Premium ( 5 speed manual ) was more than fair. Another dealer told me to take the car, that it was a " great deal " - I did.

Tips.
    1. As always shop the last week of the month.
    2. A lot of the smaller options ( floor mats, cargo nets, splash guards etc...)
    can be purchased later and perhaps cheaper. At the dealer they add up. You can always get those dealer installed options later - you may find you don't mind not having them.
    3. Always get a good idea of the value of your old car. It's a bit of a hassle - but sell your old car privately. These days there are so many options to do just that.
    4. Research the invoice on the exact car you are buying. Find as many sources as possible.
    5. And for God's sake get the moonroof - it's #%$! fantastic.

That's basically how I went about buying my Subaru Forester - I hope it helps.

See ya in the snow,
    sokkos