Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mont_manmont_man Posts: 5
    Congratulations on your XT. I agree about the oddly shaped cupholders. The only thing you can try is to remove the plastic divider. It will give you a little wider space for your water bottle but it will not sit level.
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    Actually there is something that can be done about square cup holders. I bought the 2 cheap black plastic cup holders at AutoZone, those that hang on windows. (a $ 1.36 item). Cut off the window hanger sections and insterted them into 2 square spaces. I also secured the bottom and a flat side with a double-stick tape. They both fit perfectly inside the squares with round plastic sections. Problem solved!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Neat idea.

Let's see if Subaru fixes that for 2011.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 316
    RE: water bottles.

I agree that they don't fit well. Best thing I've done is to remove the partition in the rear cup holder that separates it from the "small purse holder" area...or so they called in the catalog. This gave just a bit more room to get my kleen kanteen to be able to stay in there upright...but, it is tight.
    My dome light above rear seats stopped working at 400-some miles. I popped out the plastic cover, tested the bulb (bulb was OK) and tested the "juice" with circuit tester and found that the switch was defective. I came to Subaru dealer with my diagnosis and they confirmed that the switch was faulty and ordered one under warranty.
    Also, installed class III hitch from U-Haul (a 30 minutes job). Ordered plug-in electric module from e-Trailer (neatly plugs into an existing Subaru harness in the spare tire area.). All done and works great!
    As far as cup holders, I moved the rear one to the middle cross section (rear slides on to the middle cross section and opens the "small purse holder" for more room, as described by the previous poster). With those window cup holders (as described earlier) I have now 2 cup holders that hold securely regular diameter water bottles or small diameter Thermos or similar bottles. The large ones indeed do not fit. Oh well, there are always the "door" cup holders for additional water bottles.
  • I am looking at a 2010 Forester demo model with 5k miles. How does one figure an appropriate discount for a demo? BTW I searched the forum for "demo" references with no luck.
  • boas13boas13 Posts: 30
    In the market to assist my daughter purchasing a new 2010 Forester. Its now mid July and the 11's are shipping so hoping to get about 2k below invoice? Possible or dreaming?. It will be the difference between a base 2.5x or a premium. (Like that moonroof.) Thanks
    Unfortunately, these cars are in high demand. I would go $ 1000 below dealer's invoice, if they will show it to you.
    Depends on exact model that you are looking for and the address/market, where you live.

Since these cars are in high demand, most that you could probably get is the dealer's invoice - if they show it to you or if you do your homework on Edmunds website.

Some models, like Forester XTs are more desirable in certain markets than others.

Good luck with 2 K below invoice (hopefully you are referring to "dealer's invoice" and not "sticker" invoice.

Let us know though...
  • boas13boas13 Posts: 30
    Yes, talking about dealer invoice. Using a leading consumer magazine pricing service (didn't se their name but I think you can easily guess). It just seems that with the 11's on the lot the 2010s are already a year old you should be able to do it. Actually, if the service numbers are possbily correct, 1k below would just about do it.
    How late into the model year do you think it will be before it would be possible?
    edited July 2010
    Not knowing where you live, it depends, how many Subaru dealers you have in your town or within, say 50 miles radius.

In places, where there is more than one dealrship, you could drive the price down considerably more than if you live in town, where there is only one.

You can watch dealer's stock on the internet and wait until December 2010. In saturated markets many dealers have "last" years model until then.

However, not all cars on their lots are 1 year old. You can find out the exact month of manufacture by decoding the VIN nmuber. Most dealers finance their cars on their lots thorugh banks until they are sold. Obviously, the oldest ones are the ones that you could get a better deal.

By doing your homework, find out the month, when the car was manufacured or imported into the country and, again, the oldest ones are the ones that you can could get a better deal.

Also, look at the lower right hand side of the "sticker" to see if the vehicle was shipped and delivered to the dealer that is selling the car. Many cars are traded among dealers and if you see there name other than your dealer's, you could get a better deal on that car.

As a former car dealer in So. California I can tell you that there are just too many variables to cover this subject.

One thing though, do not "fall in love" with the car that you are buying. Focus on your price target instead, regardles of color or options installed.
  • georged4georged4 Posts: 34
    Mine was a bit below dealer invoice so it's certainly possible, but the dealer had quite a few in stock as did another sealer 15 mi away, Compare prices at http://www.fitzmall.com/, a no haggle dealer

Pick the exact car and add ons she wants, total the invoice price according to Edmunds or consumer reports and offer $1000 below that. B e prepared to negotiate or walk. Get your own financing beforehand and compare to their. If they say their 2.9 is only 2w years tell them you have better and they will probably make the 2.9 3 orm 4mnyears
  • georged4georged4 Posts: 34
    I would want 15% below invoice at this point for a car that has significant mileage especially if it has been titled. Otherwise you should get a new at or below invoice

Personally I'd rather have one that's not been driven for $1000 more.
  • coldstorage5coldstorage5 Posts: 76
    edited August 2010
    Hey, Any thoughts.... I did a internet shop for a automatic, with alloy rims and fog lights. The 2.5x special edition has this with a roof rack. and here are my quotes:
    In Northern NJ a dealer 21,395 including destination charge.
    In Westchester,...the best I got was: 22,155
    Thoughts??
    I plan to haggle more when I go in.
    Any suggestions/comments?
    Thanx,
    CS
    That SE package is a bargain, that's my only thought. ;)
  • The place in Northern Jersey had a $300 " documentation fee",But I got another dealer to match the price. Still shopping, hoping for it to come down more.
    Thoughts??
  • dandgdandg Posts: 86
    Hi All,
    trying to help a friend get his best quote on a Forester (w/2.5 X Premium w/All weather pkg (02)).
    I have done the email several dealers quote thing with the last two cars I bought but this is the first time with a Subaru and it seem they have all have a website not set up to receive direct emails.They do have a area (same on all the sites-in fact it looks like the standard "Subaru approved" site they all have) where you can send a comment but it requires a phone.He has been hounded by car salesmen in the past and is understandably reluctant to give a number.

We did send a few with "best quote" requests and a fake phone (with a explanation why he was seeking email quotes first) and have had NO responses from 4 dealers.

Anyone else run into this? Any thoughts on next move?
    thanks in advance for the feedback/suggestions
    Most Subaru dealers (if not all) have a dedicated "internet sales" person or manager.

You can find their direct email addresses by going to the "white" or "yellow" pages or, calling them up and ask them for internet sales manager's email address.

Otherwise, if you access any dealer through Google, most (if not all) emails are routed through Subaru North America HQ.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,524
    In what area are you looking?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • dandgdandg Posts: 86
    I guess we could try calling them.I have done the google search and it leads to those standard we pages for each dealer.

We are trying in NH these are pretty small dealerships,maybe they don't all have a dedicated internet guy. Its to so much easier to start with email,he called one place and the guy called him 2 ,then 3 times a week,then every day.

We may have to try Mass.I ended up buying my wife's Lexus down there (with the email search quote) as the only dealer up here would not move on price.
  • baires60baires60 Posts: 30
    I emailed all my subaru dealers - with this and a quote later on for the warranty prices, since they vary by state and dealership..I got responses to 80% of my inquiries some called instead some had the can mail - they will respond to you later and few didn't even contact me. Most called after getting the email though, within a few days. I'm in the NY area but I emailed NJ and CT and PA too.
    I went to the subaru website and just picked and chose some dealerships in the area to send the email to, in fact Subaru sent back an email a week maybe 2 later asking if all of the dealerships (separately on 1 form) had responded and did they answer my questions to my satidfation - I answered which did and which didn't try to contact me and the next day or 2 I got a response from them too. It may be that phony phone number that you put down, but I understand the hesitation.

For the warranty I went across the country and most answered back thinking I wanted a car, but after I responded no the warranty they passed it onto the finance people - who would call..but I got very few that would call me multiple times. Thank goodness, I despise the car shopping process but find it better with Subaru than some of the others I went into.
  • Hello, Just bought a Forester 2.5x special edition, automatic with fog lights.
    $ 21,400.... , with tax plates and registration, $ 23,300 out the door.
    Got The color I wanted,
    Congrats. The SE package is a must-have, in fact if I were a dealer I don't think I'd order any Foresters without it! :shades:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,524
    I agree. I really would have liked that option available last September! When I completed the customer survey for Subaru, I strongly stated that they needed to make the factory rails available on the X. I am seeing the X w/ SE package all over the place here in Fairbanks now; it is obviously a highly favored option.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • cjkbme2wcjkbme2w Posts: 82
    Do you have to purchase the extended warranty within a certain timeframe of the new car purchase?

What is the best price anyone has received for an extended Subaru warranty and how many years and miles did it cover?

Any help is appreciated as I have never purchased a Subaru.
    Do you have to purchase the extended warranty within a certain timeframe of the new car purchase?

What is the best price anyone has received for an extended Subaru warranty and how many years and miles did it cover?

Any help is appreciated as I have never purchased a Subaru.
    You can buy the extended warranty anytime while your car is still under regular factory warranty; i.e. during first 36,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.

The best price that is out there (as far as I know) is from (Don) at Mastria Subaru - as indicated earlier on these pages.

There is a huge mark-up on these extended warranties and you do not have to buy it from the dealer that you have purchased your car.
    Generally, it's within the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty period.
    What price have people got the extended warranty from Mastria Subaru for?

How long is this warranty for?
    Is this a good deal before taxes and tags. About $500 below invoice.

Dealer price = $21,104 (includes destination)

2010 Forester 2.5X Auto
    Special Edition Package - Option 21
    Equipment Group 1A - Option F9E

MSRP = $23,041
    Invoice = $21,638