Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I have not been in town hall in some time, and am surprised that there are still dealers out there trying to get MSRP, or over, for the STI. We have three blue/gold STI's in stock. One, we had a customer drive home to show has wife and she said there was no way their child was riding with him in "that" car. It has about 200 miles on it and is for sale at $2000 off MSRP. The other two are undriven and available for $1000 off, so if you are in the Northeast and looking...
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Tell me about it...I've got 4 in stock and 4 more in transit! With winter coming now is a really good time to talk discount!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    How about convincing the Canadian dealers! They are all still convinced they can get $6000 Can. over MSRP!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    At least you have AWD as a selling point. But yeah, slow season is coming...my buddy just came up and dealers are offering great deals on a Boxster he's looking for.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Would make me much happier. Boxster/STi discounting? Now I have to be dreaming!
  • These cars are truly fantastic. We just made a special purchase of them and have 15+ coming in during the month of November. We are going to sell them all at invoice. So, if you are in the Northeast, come and look us up!
  • leasimleasim Posts: 1
    a few days ago i decided to stop by my local subaru dealer to look at a blue w gold rims sti that had been sitting in the show room for about 2 months and found out why. when i entered the dealership there were about 3 sales people that saw me come in, they did not even say hello or look at me!they just sat there talking to each other and paid me no attention. so i looked at the car for about 5 minutes and left. they did the same thing to a friend of mine when the regular wrx came out so he had to buy his some where else. if you live in the cleveland,oh area dont buy a car at gantly west side imports they are pompus jerks.
  • The STi has got to be the car of the decade and is a major bargain at full sticker price. There is nothing that comes remotely close to touching it without spending seriously more money.

Please don't bother with the weak comparison to televisions and how people don't pay near msrp for a television or whatever item you want to compare to. The markup from dealer cost to msrp on a television is around 80% versus about 8% on this.

Yes, 8% is a fairly nice sum of money however it doesn't go far when divided among those whose living depend on it. I just wonder if those who think it's criminal for an automobile selling price to be anything over invoice feel the same way about their employer's product/service pricing.
  • prayerforprayerfor Posts: 161
    The STi... is a major bargain at full sticker price
    If there are dealers offering to sell them at or near invoice, then paying full sticker is not a bargain, it's a ripoff.

There is nothing that comes remotely close to touching it without spending seriously more money.
    That's pretty brash when you consider that more than one well-respected automotive publication has tested the STi head to head with the less-expensive EVO, and chosen the EVO.
    That's pure sales pitch. The local no-haggle dealer already discounts them about a grand off MSRP with no bargaining, because they believe that's the current fair profit level on the STi.

It's all supply and demand, now that supply is catching up to demand they will have to discount if they want to maintain sales volumes, period. You're just not going to find as many customers willing to pay MSRP.

In fact, a dealer that is stubborn and doesn't budge from MSRP will sell less volume, make less profit overall, and would therefore pay those same people "who depend on it" less.

-juice
    Around here dealers are advertising invoice now...
    Man, who would have known a couple of years back that there would be so much performance vehicles around $30K -

WRX STi, Evo, G35 coupe, RX8, 350Z, Upcomming Legacy sport, etc., I know I am missing a couple of vehicles
  • "If there are dealers offering to sell them at or near invoice, then paying full sticker is not a bargain, it's a ripoff."

No, it's not a ripoff it's just not as big a bargain. It's what the item is and does based on retail price that determines value, whether cars or stereos or frozen dinners. What one person sells an item for compared to another seller doesn't change that, it only determines who got a better deal. The STi is a bargain at retail based on what it is and does and what the purchaser gets for their money. Anything below retail is just bonus.

"...more than one well-respected automotive publication has tested the STi head to head with the less-expensive EVO, and chosen the EVO."

That's fine for today however I wouldn't want a Mitsubishi product several years out if I had the option of other brands. The price differential of about 3% between the two isn't enough to change the long term picture.

"WRX STi, Evo, G35 coupe, RX8, 350Z, Upcomming Legacy sport"

The Evo and the Legacy are the only two that really compare since the others are coupes not sedans. The Legacy is the only one that can compare both on similarity of product and long term reliability. I don't believe any of the 3 coupes offer the benefit of AWD.
    "The Evo and the Legacy are the only two that really compare since the others are coupes not sedans. The Legacy is the only one that can compare both on similarity of product and long term reliability. I don't believe any of the 3 coupes offer the benefit of AWD. "

- True, but here in SoCal, if I am looking at a +$30K vehicle, I will be looking at all the mentioned ones. Performance, interior, looks, and room would be much more highly considered than sedan vs. coupe. They all have their plusses and minusses. It just depends on which one I like the best and which one I can get the best deal on.
    The G35 will offer AWD soon, they're calling it the G35x I believe.

Makes you wonder if Nissan will offer AWD on the Z as well?

-juice
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    The G35x will be available in December, according to their website. Was just checking this morning. It's the Skyline GTR in Japan (the G35 is the Nissan Skyline). There is no Infinity or Lexus there, just Nissan and Toyota.

Not quite the same as the STi, but close, I suppose. Paved street as opposed to rally car. Much nicer looking to my eyes, though ;-).
  • I don't think a G35x would be much competition for the STi. The Infinity is heavier and has less power - it's more of a luxury car.

I am looking forward to the release of the various stage one kits for the STi, Vishu should have one out soon that adds about 70 HP for a couple grand.

I was one of the early STi purchasers that paid over sticker for it - I'd do it again, I love this car. I'm in sales - Real Estate - I don't mind if someone makes a few bucks off me, that's what makes the world go round :-) I knew if I waited I'd get a better deal but I wanted one then. Plus I was soooo close to signing for an M3 SMG - the STi saved me 20 grand for the same and soon to be better performance.

STi's are still commanding sticker in my neck of the woods, a friend of mine just sold his M Coupe and paid MSRP for his white STi last week. I'm in the sunbelt, you don't see a lot of Subie's around here, the dealers don't get much of an allocation - never below MSRP to my knowledge. I'm sure that will happen eventually.
  • I live in Northern Virginia and cannot get a test drive in a STI. If anyone knows where I can drive one please let me know. As of two weeks ago a local dealer was still charging sticker. They have had a blue and sliver STI on the lot now for about three weeks. These in stock cars are a first. Also, you guys talking about STIs at invoice...where?
  • saleshou --

Your "value" argument is pretty irrelevant here. Read the topic of the thread -- presumably the folks that are here are already convinced of the STi's "value" (as you define it), and are now wanting to discuss what a fair selling price is.

The most recent posts suggest that in many regions (the southwest is apparently an exception), market dynamics have pushed the STi's street price below MSRP, and in some places, all the way down to invoice. Therefore, if you're in one of these regions, then paying MSRP is a ripoff, and would be even if the STi was capable of transporting you to the moon.
    Not invoice, but fitzmall.com is close enough to you and they're knocking about a grand off the price. I'm not sure if they allow test drives, maybe not.

-juice
  • Hunter Subaru, Hendersonville, NC will be glad to allow them. They did that 4 months ago when I bought mine. Lips 1001, I live in the area and if you come this way let me know and I'll give you a ride and buy you a burger.
  • Subyguy2, where is the dealership that is going to sell the 15 STI's at invoice. Send me an e-mail if you can. Thanks
  • Just got my Platinum Silver at their White Flint store for $300 over invoice + $49 processing fee. First rate, no hassles at all. They do not allow test drives, but that was fine with me as the car I bought had no additional miles on it.

They are getting two more in by the end of this month.
  • Sacramento's Autowest Subaru on Sat., Nov. 15, advertising $4000 off MSRP after $750 rebate for 2004 WRX wagons. Crashing California economy can lead to a good buy for the patient buyer.
    They're a little soft here too. Depends how much you have in the way of options to get to a $4000 discount.
  • at a local used car lot, i found a 2000 impreza 4dr sedan for 8900. i talked the guy down to 8000 including taz and title, and i took it to my mechanic and he said its clean-the vin checks out too-it says it was a fleet car in an auction in may, but other than that, its had one owner. it has 57500 miles. that seems really cheap right? something has to be wrong!!! or am i ignorant enough to think i stumbled upon a deal???? help!!!!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That's not outrageously cheap.

My buddy is selling his 2000 coupe 5MT RS for around the same amount with 65K miles on it.

-mike
    Not cheap, but a fair price.
  • I'm looking to lease the Impreza WRX.

The Subaru dealer offered $363/month, 2,000 down, for 12,000 miles in a blue pearl WRX.

Mind you, its fully loaded-turbo gauge, short shifter, upgraded radio, premium package, security system, arm rest, etc.

Is this a good offer? Shouldn't I be getting something around $325/month?
    Is that with or without taxes? It sounds like a good deal for a Premium Package, that car could sticker around $30,000.