Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• When the Miata came out dealers here had no demo units and no test drives. Want one, buddy? Put a deposit down and get on the waiting list, your "test drive" occurs when "your" car comes in and you've paid for it. Local Honda dealer wouldn't give test drives on the S2000 for a long time, either. You could drive a WRX and imagine the same thing, only more so.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I knew of one S2000 salesman that said he'd give a 100% money back guarantee. So you had to buy it to drive it. Noone took their money back!

I would want a car with just a couple of miles on it also, especially if I were buying an exotic, so I can't say I blame them.

-juice
  • I was able to test drive an STi but I had to let them pull my credit to show them I was able to buy it. They knew I was interested in buying it,not just taking it out for a test drive. They had two in stock and were using one for short test drives - I bought the one with 5 miles on it.

I can kind of understand a dealer not allowing test drives without someone proving they could buy it if they liked it. Although I had a much easier time getting a test drive in a new M3 and C32 AMG.

A friend of mine got a dealer down to $750 below MSRP on a silver STi this week.
  • Talk about a CSI killing survey just waiting to happen. IF the attitude and personality coming through in the posts by krnlklink are the true persona this is the salesperson's nightmare. The customer who will give the worst survey to a hard working salesperson is invariably the one who pinches the penny the tightest and believes they are doing a huge favor by buying the car at a barrel scraping figure.

No, I am not suggesting everyone should lay down and pay $xxxx over sticker price however if the situation were reversed and the salesperson were the customer in your hair salon, deli, appliance store or wherever and wanted your $20 styling service for $12 because Schmucks barbershop does a plain cut for that you wouldn't consider them reasonable and when you finished giving them a great style they'd be negative about it. Fill in the scenario with whatever business you are in and ask yourself if that's how you want people to think of you and expect you to do business.

There are plenty of honest and good salespeople working their butts off to give good service and FAIR deals. There are some who are looking for scalps every time. Don't let yourself be scalped but don't try to scalp the salesman either. He/she deserves to make a FAIR living just as much as anyone else.
  • spektrespektre Posts: 80
    I've noticed there are many, many STis just sitting at the local dealerships. This is probably a great time to get 'just' a WRX, as the STi is really the hot commodity... Anyone have any luck with this? Anyone recommend a dealership in the greater Boston area?

Also, anyone know what the max contract length is for the 0% financing Subaru is currently offering?
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    We've got 4 STi's on the lot and enough WRX's to get through the winter.

Now is a good time to have a chat with your local dealer...
  • spektrespektre Posts: 80
    Raybear, since you're 'connected'... can you answer my second question - What's the max contract length for the 0%?

Also, what's a great deal for a '04 WRX auto wagon in this area?
  • dill6dill6 Posts: 120
    though I'm not in the new car market this year, I did stop by the local dealer to drool and chat yesterday. The guy who sold me my WRX was unusually animated about pitching the virtues of the STi to me, and offered, without my asking, that he had "just been authorized" to offer $750 off of MSRP on the STi.

Sign of the times.
    Makes the early markups just a bad memory.

-juice
    24 months.

We advertise a 60-month deal but you're paying for the buydown.
  • I have not been in town hall in some time, and am surprised that there are still dealers out there trying to get MSRP, or over, for the STI. We have three blue/gold STI's in stock. One, we had a customer drive home to show has wife and she said there was no way their child was riding with him in "that" car. It has about 200 miles on it and is for sale at $2000 off MSRP. The other two are undriven and available for $1000 off, so if you are in the Northeast and looking...
    Tell me about it...I've got 4 in stock and 4 more in transit! With winter coming now is a really good time to talk discount!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    How about convincing the Canadian dealers! They are all still convinced they can get $6000 Can. over MSRP!
    At least you have AWD as a selling point. But yeah, slow season is coming...my buddy just came up and dealers are offering great deals on a Boxster he's looking for.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Would make me much happier. Boxster/STi discounting? Now I have to be dreaming!
  • These cars are truly fantastic. We just made a special purchase of them and have 15+ coming in during the month of November. We are going to sell them all at invoice. So, if you are in the Northeast, come and look us up!
  • leasimleasim Posts: 1
    a few days ago i decided to stop by my local subaru dealer to look at a blue w gold rims sti that had been sitting in the show room for about 2 months and found out why. when i entered the dealership there were about 3 sales people that saw me come in, they did not even say hello or look at me!they just sat there talking to each other and paid me no attention. so i looked at the car for about 5 minutes and left. they did the same thing to a friend of mine when the regular wrx came out so he had to buy his some where else. if you live in the cleveland,oh area dont buy a car at gantly west side imports they are pompus jerks.
  • The STi has got to be the car of the decade and is a major bargain at full sticker price. There is nothing that comes remotely close to touching it without spending seriously more money.

Please don't bother with the weak comparison to televisions and how people don't pay near msrp for a television or whatever item you want to compare to. The markup from dealer cost to msrp on a television is around 80% versus about 8% on this.

Yes, 8% is a fairly nice sum of money however it doesn't go far when divided among those whose living depend on it. I just wonder if those who think it's criminal for an automobile selling price to be anything over invoice feel the same way about their employer's product/service pricing.
  • prayerforprayerfor Posts: 161
    The STi... is a major bargain at full sticker price
    If there are dealers offering to sell them at or near invoice, then paying full sticker is not a bargain, it's a ripoff.

There is nothing that comes remotely close to touching it without spending seriously more money.
    That's pretty brash when you consider that more than one well-respected automotive publication has tested the STi head to head with the less-expensive EVO, and chosen the EVO.
    That's pure sales pitch. The local no-haggle dealer already discounts them about a grand off MSRP with no bargaining, because they believe that's the current fair profit level on the STi.

It's all supply and demand, now that supply is catching up to demand they will have to discount if they want to maintain sales volumes, period. You're just not going to find as many customers willing to pay MSRP.

In fact, a dealer that is stubborn and doesn't budge from MSRP will sell less volume, make less profit overall, and would therefore pay those same people "who depend on it" less.

-juice