Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I've been playing the dealers in Texas and Colorado off of each other and it seems that you can get a base WRX without (m)any options for under $24K. Heuberger in Colorado Springs is selling them for $23,800 on eBay and both Dallas and San Antonio dealers have stated that they'll beat that. Austin Subaru, however, flat-out said no to me. That's a good sign that we're very near the absolute bottom that a dealer will take.

What about the 2010 models? There should be a face-lift for the 2010s which might be worth waiting for (I love the 2009 WRX even with its butterface). Any idea when the 2010s will be out?
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    For what it's worth, at least the engine failures are early and Subaru is replacing the blocks. It's certainly not a widespread issue, and if you're buying a performance car reliability is not your top concern anyway. For what it's worth, AFAIK Civic Si's haven't been perfectly reliable either. Good little cars but not the same league as the WRX.

I've been very happy with my STi and hopefully the engine failure thing will not be an issue, but if it happens, I'll deal with it.

tom
  • Wow, it sounds like the best deals are in Illinois and Colorado. But what about in the Los Angeles area? I've been calling around and everyone seems to be willing to do a few hundred off invoice, but I'd like to hear from people who have recently purchased. I am looking at the 5-door base model '09 WRX.
  • Sorry I haven't been online lately. Been busy with school stuff. I've gotten half way through the nasioc engine thread. I agree, no model of car will be perfectly built and there will be issues with all of them, to different degrees. I'm looking to lease for 3 years, which is the length of the warranty, so I feel comfortable with still getting one anyway. I love my current Impreza and want to stay with Subaru. I've finally moved up to talking to dealerships in the Denver metro area. Heuberger in CO Springs keeps bragging they are the #1 dealer in the nation and so far they are quoting me $26,415 for an 09 WRX premium manual sedan. Not sure if I'm going for the premium or not, but figured I'll start with the worst case scenario and work my way down. I'm hoping within the next few weeks to talk to more dealers and see what's possible.
  • oceana143oceana143 Posts: 38
    Anyone know which one is the better seller and why? Also, I would be perfectly happy with the 2.5 but as my night vision is starting to go, really want foglights, which the Premium has. Can the dealer readily put these on the standard model? Any other considerations I should look at in regards to standard vs. Premium model? Finally, live in the Michigan but might be moving to the Southeast if this area gets even worse. Does it make sense to even look at a Subaru if I will not be in a plce that gets a lot of snow? Thank you for any insight you can provide.
  • bikepoetbikepoet Posts: 3
    In my experience with the Impreza WRX STi, the HID low beams are so good they make the foglights imperceptible. In fact, the standard halogen high beams are so good, the HID low beams don't really assist that much. So if the high beams are the same on both cars, I think the foglights are purely an aesthetical option.

As for buying a Subaru in a place that doesn't get lots of snow... I think AWD is awesome and I would want to have it no matter where I live. The problem lies in that there aren't as many Subaru dealers down South. I'm from Mississippi, and there is only one Subaru dealer in the whole state. So, keep that in mind if you get a lot of work done or warranty work done at a dealer instead of a local Joe's fix-it-up shack.

When I moved to Virginia, I was thrilled to find there was a Subie dealer just down the road and 2 more within 60 minutes away.
  • zeebrockzeebrock Posts: 4
    ! ! ! DO NOT BUY FROM SUBARU OF SCHAUMBURG ! ! !

They have a very very bad name in the Subaru community, there are many people out there that have been burned by them. Common things they will do are:
    Take months to pay off your trade - in. This leads to late payments showing on your credit report.
    Bait and switch, on the day you go to sign and pickup your new car "something" will have changed and you will not get that great price you wanted.
    Strong arm you into buying extra's like "Paint sealant" and other crap.
    NEVER EVER sign ANYTHING, until you go to buy the car, they have been known to get people to sign a "pre purchase" agreement and then force you into buying the car even if you try to back out.

Now I know a lot of this can be fixed but you will have to fight it and it will cost you time and money. Just search for SOS on nasioc.com and read.

John
  • I am looking to get a Impreza 2.5i Auto with base package. I want to add a roof rack, cargo tray & armrest extension.

The best offer I have received is $17499 plus $309 in fees and tax including the add ons.

Is this a good deal? It seems to be the same advertised price as most places. What would be a reasonable offer to counter with?
  • jethrotljethrotl Posts: 3
    That's a reasonable price, but you could probably do better. I'll summarize earlier posts regarding a good strategy for Subaru shopping:

Go to www.fitzmall.com and find out what price they have on your car. These prices are very competitive, and give you a good target. If you are talking about a 2009 2.5i impreza sedan, the fitzmall price right now is $16650-16970 + tax/ttl.

Also check out cars101.com and look at the incentives. Right now, the 2.5i (sedan) has a "hidden" (dealer cash) incentive of $1000 that some dealers won't tell you about (and some will even deny that it exists).

Invoice on the 2.5i sedan with your options is $18,650, so anything below $17,650 + tax/ttl is a decent price. However, do not let them add any dealer fees, and make them sweat it out for a week to try to get closer to the fitzmall price.
  • I am shopping for a new Subaru, and I ran across the following deal.

This particular dealer has two new 2008 Impreza base models with no optional equipment. The sedan is offered for $14,495 (MSRP $18,640) and the 5 door is $500 more at $14,995 (MSRP $19,140). They have one of each and they are both the color I like. Last weekend they had another identical hatchback, but it sold earlier in the week. The sedan has about 400 miles from test drives and the hatchback has just over 600 miles.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • fourfourtwofourfourtwo Posts: 11
    I am looking at this car and would appreciate anyone who has recently bought one and what the base price they paid was? I've done some research but would really like to hear some feedback.
    Thanks.
  • fourfourtwofourfourtwo Posts: 11
    Was this an automatic or manual model?
  • I think MT = Manual, but not 100% sure.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,904
    That is probably $1500-$2000 less than you would have paid last summer for the '08s...

Not a bad deal, if you are happy with the base model... Hard to find that much car for $15K..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    OTOH it should be fairly easy to get a brand new '09 for only $1000 more, which will not have the automatic "instant depreciation" of being one model year old when you buy it, and will not have the 400-600 miles on the clock already.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• wblchwblch Posts: 3
    I am shopping around for the Impreza Outback Sport AT recently, and the best offer I got is around $18900 + tax + ttl. Is it a good deal?
  • jethrotljethrotl Posts: 3
    That's a pretty good price. I recently purchased the manual transmission Impreza Outback Sport in New England (MSRP 20,690). Since my deal included a trade, it's harder to make a direct comparison but here are my numbers:

Paid $14,050 + tax/ttl = $14,800 OTD (including trade)
    Traded a 1999 4Dr MT VW Golf (only 61K miles on it) with a Kelly BB value of $3000-3500.

I worked very hard for that deal, but it was worth it.
  • wblchwblch Posts: 3
    WOW, you got a really good price since the auto transmission is about $1000 more than the manual ,and it looks like you are paying little on the documentation fee and title etc. Could you please tell me the dealer information? Thanks.
  • I too would be interested in finding out where you got that deal. Was it the 08 Sport from Ocean Subaru? It was sold when I called. If I could find a 2.5i auto wagon for under 17,000 or a Auto Sport for under 17,600 I would buy it today.

The dealers around me are still holding firm at $17,500 for the auto wagon.

Will next month bring better incentives to match some of the other current markets?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I just paid $18,300 for a manual with $263 worth of options on top of the base price. If you have any options on yours, then your deal is $400 better than mine, and I thought mine was pretty decent.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)