Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
edited January 28 in Subaru
Share your purchase experience here!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• mn_patmn_pat Posts: 67
    purchased oct of 1997 with 15k on it, paid $15100. It was 1.5 yrs old from a rental company in Colorado. At 30k I had to rotors turned. Not another problem until 90k, when the alt went out and was replaced under recall. The alt went out again at at 102k at my expense. At 112k the knock sensor and the cam position sensor were replaced for $135. Currently at 117K, I haven't had the rotors turned again or replace yet and no wobble yet. There is a tiny bit of rust where the windshield meets the roof. Its a pretty good car, I think it will last another 44 payment until our van is paid off.

I like the car for its reliability and longevity. It is AWESOME in the snow. Handles well in general, quite nimble. HVAC warms and cools down the inside fast. I love the utility of the wagon.

Things I don't like: front seats are too low and need more support, poor mileage best ever is 25 mpg, worst ever is 16 mpg in the coldest part of the winter. cup holders are in a bad spot.
  • ct_lamact_lama Posts: 2
    I've been quoted an Internet price of $19200 for a Legacy Wagon (automatic, base model) by a dealer near NYC. Is that a fair price given all the discounting going on? Haggle for a lower price? I can't figure out for sure whether the Edmund's invoice price includes the $1000 rebate or not. Also, confusing enough CarsDirect(http://www.carsdirect.com) shows a higher invoice price.

The dealers in CT (where I live) seem to only have the Special Edition, the features of which I really don't care for and don't want to pay for. Do you think I could bargain to get the SE for the same price($19200), the only reason being to save a long drive?
    Thanks.
  • grovercgroverc Posts: 34
    I think that $19,200 is a fair price, but I'm sure that if you're motivated, you could get the car for a little less, like $200 to $400. If you're an awesome nogotiater, maybe more.

I purchased a 2003 Legacy SE Sedan on Saturday. It is a 5-speed. The sticker was $21,335. After the $1,000 rebate offered in Indiana, I paid $19,100 plus tax. The wagons, I think, are a little more popular, therefore, they may sell for a little more. I am sure that a more shrewd buyer could have a gotten a better deal than I did, but car buying is not a battle I chose to fight, so I am happy.

My first few days has been favorable. I am liking the car more and more. The build quality could be better, but it is by no means bad. The dealer used too large of screws when putting the license plate on, and in return, stripped the little plastic pieces that receive the screw on the rear license plate. No big deal, but for me it is frustrating that my new car has an issue. The dealer drilled the little plastic pieces out to accept the larger screws that was used in error. It seems to be working.

Let us know what you do, and what you end up buying.
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    Are you sure it's not the SE version??? I didn't think Subaru made any non-SE Lagacies in 2003. Carsdirect.com will sell you the auto SE wagon for $18,764. With the usual stuff they add on to it (tweeter upgrades, bumper cover, cargo bin, etc.) you should not pay more than what you were quoted for the SE model...
    Wow, if you can get the car for $18,764, that's awesome. When I go to carsdirect.com, the price in Indiana for an automatic SE wagon is $21,439. I know different regions of the country have different incentives, but nearly $3,000 is huge.
  • andrewkandrewk Posts: 59
    That Carsdirect price does sound cheap. I bought a '03 LE wagon, 5spd (which I really wanted), with a couple of goodies. It stickered for around 22.4 and I got it for about 19.5. I live in Indy, but made the purchase outside Cincy. This was back in June.

On Subaru's web site, I searched out the SEs that had the color my wife wanted (Sea Mist Green) and reasonable option packages. I then submitted a requested quotes. Some dealers are more motivated than others.

I was happy to drive a couple of hours to save a grand. Plus, the dealer was a straight shooter, not a BSer like the local ones I dealt with.

We absolutely love the car!!
    ...until I saw Subaru dealer ads in Atlanta Journal Constitution this past weekend. For example, the slow-selling SE sedan with manual tranny: $16377 - talk about a deal!

It's a shame they include no incentives for these cars in Indiana, the place where they're all made!!! Kinda sad...

As a sidenote, I was passing through Indiana a couple of months ago and I have to admit there are tons of Subarus on the road there...
  • andrewkandrewk Posts: 59
    cracovian, what is really strange is the Lafayette dealer, he claims to be the biggest Subaru dealer in the state of Indiana. Lafayette is the city where the Subarus are built. Anyway, those folks did not want to deal much at all. When I responded to their intense pressure, by telling them what other dealers were doing, they acted like I was nuts.

As far as Atlanta, I wouldn't think there to be much demand for an AWD vehicle.
    andrewk, there's no reason to overpay for any car in this economy, and especially Subarus that don't sell well at all... even Lexus and MB C-class sell below invoice these days. Why don't you give a couple of our dealers a call (Royal in Decatur and some other one in Gwinnett are big and will deal with no problems) and pick it up down here? Like I said, they only have SEs in stock but they sell really cheap, so why not? You could break it in on the slopes of Tennessee :-)
  • radianradian Posts: 21
    Just bought a used 2000 Legacy GT wagon (28K miles, black, auto, loaded) on ebay from a reputable dealer. I wasn't even really looking for one (just some sort of newer Subaru wagon), but it was too good to pass up. Could have had a red 2002 Outback (with less than 20K miles, auto but nothing else) instead for about the same price ($15100), but decided that Legacy GT would be more exciting and enjoyable to drive (6-disc changer doesn't hurt).

I used to own a black 2002 OBS until it was totalled last week (smashed from behind by a large moving truck). I would still recommend one of those as well, but I also wanted to try something a little different. I looked at 2002 OBS's and WRX's, 2000-2002 Outbacks, and 2000-2002 Legacy GTs. Very hard to find a GT wagon around Michigan for some reason, which is why mine is from NY.

So far the dealership experience has been very positive (with the dealer I found the GT from). I've gotten quite used to talking to dealers on the phone over the past week. Been looking at a ton of online ads and making lots of calls. I have found dealers are not very open to talking price over the phone, though I didn't really try playing them against each other at all. It's also fun knowing more about the cars than most of the dealers.
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    A 2000 with only 28k miles? That's great! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Congrats!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, congratulations. Sorry about the OBS getting hit. Welcome back, I guess.

-juice
  • cinemodcinemod Posts: 2
    Just purchased today for 19,200 (750 rebate included). It was difficult to get the proper TMV as the Special edition options weren't all included. (Maybe I was just tired :^) )
    4-Speed Automatic: $800

Special Edition Package: $900

Dual Power Moonroofs
    16-Inch Alloy Wheels
    Projector Beam Halogen Fog Lights
    Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel / Shift Knob

Popular Equipment Group 1: $336

Carpeted Floor Covers - Gray
    Cross Bar Kit
    Splash Guards

MSRP was $23,239.00

Did I do okay?
    (this is replacing a '92 Legacy LE with ~250K miles. Purchased for $15K)

best regards,
    cinemod
    Quarter million miles is sweet. Let's hope the new one lasts as long.

Yes, I think your price was good. Is that a sedan or wagon? Still, you couln't get a FWD Accord or Camry with the same content for that much. Think of it as getting AWD for free.

-juice
    I think your price is awesome! That's way better than I did on my sedan. How did you manage to get more than $4,000 off? I think that is like $2,000 less than invoce. Is there a factory to dealer incentive in your area?

Good job!
  • cinemodcinemod Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for responding.
    I apologize for the delay.

I read your 2 responses and felt great. Yet I had just reviewed the paperwork/loan and I couldn't get to the total price from 19700. I was thinking that I let my guard down and got taken when they wrote up the loan.

The way they write things up is confusing. But I got it explained to me:
    + 65 reg/title fee
    + 198 documentation fee
    + 985 tax
    - 750 rebate
    20198 Is the total price.

It's a wagon ...and I don't know if there was a factory incentive.

I'm just glad it's over with.

Next year I'm afraid I have to replace my '92 Accord EX. (knock on wood) it's got 175K .

I sold my last Honda Civic hatchback with ~250K and it still had the original clutch.

I've had terrible luck with Chevy, Dodge and Ford.

Thanks again for the responses.

Cinemod
  • mayfairmayfair Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,

I have just put a deposit on a 2002 Legacy L today. As you can see, I can hardly contained my excitement.

I'd like to thank you all here on the Legacy board, for I have been reading your expert opinion for a while. I decided to buy a Legacy even before I started really looking for new car. :-)

The car I just bought was a rental car that the dealer got from the auction lot, with about 10K on it. Looks real good - a coffee stain on the back seat, which didn't look too bad. Otherwise, it looks great.

I paid 12,700 on it. The dealer had it on sale for 12,995. My friend said I should have negotiated more. According to Edmunds' TMV price, I think I get a fair deal anyway. The dealer and the sales guy need to make some money to keep them in business, right?

I have a couple of questions:
    1. Do you think I need to run a full carfax report? It used to be a rental, so shouldn't it be rather clean?

2. Can you recommend where I can find literature on how to use the automatic shift properly? What do the 3 2 1 do? I drove about 100 miles on the test drive today, but it being used, the salesguy didn't go with me (which is good, really).

Thanks again. I can't wait for Wednesday to come round so I can pick it up!
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    Welcome to the Subaru family (both of you)!

If the Owner's Manual isn't included with the used 2002, ask the dealer to throw it in. You can also purchase one from their parts department or, possibly cheaper, from subaruparts.com.

Jim
    Call 800-SUBARU3 and see what they can tell you about that VIN. It may not be as complete as Car Fax but it's a free call.

You can leave the automatic in "D" and just drive it like that most of the time. Shifting manually will add wear and tear.

However - here's a cool thing - put her in "2" and it starts in 2nd gear in the snow, for more traction (less power).

-juice
  • In response to cracovian: Yes Subaru madse a limeted number of non SE Legacy sedans and wagons.
    In June they had some of them sitting in the Factory parking lot. Your dealer could order one.

I was going to purchase one, but it would take 3 to 4 weeks to have it shipped to the dealer (this seems like a long time, especially given my dealer is located less than 200 miles from the factory).

Instead, I purchased a Legacy L SE wagon with the 4EAT trans that was sitting on the lot. I figure I paid 19750 before taxes. I am not sure, because they gave me $9000 trade in for my 2000 Legacy Sedan (5 speed, 25K miles mint condition).

I am skeptical about the SE package sunroofs. They are costly, steal headroom, look clunky and have the potential to develope leaks (Based upon my experience with a 88 Accord LXi with factory sunroof).

Subarus are good cars and the Legacy is the best kept secret for traction, handling, confort and fuel efficiency.