Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I'd think it's closer to 25K+

-mike
  • Hello, simon2,
    I am looking at the same model, but the quotes I got so far are unacceptably high compared with yours, and the lowest quote I got is 22,958+tax+fee. Could you provide me with the dealer information where you bought your legacy limited.
    Thanks,
    hostsun
  • dulesdules Posts: 37
    This is for the sedan? Looks like invoice is 22,890, MSRP close to 25K.

I got an outback 2.5i limited w/vdc for 23,499 and feel like I got a really good deal.

Where you are located may make a difference...I am in New England.

GL!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Hmm I didn't realize there was a 2.5i Limited. Thought that the "Limited" was only applied ot the LGT vehicle.

-mike
  • I am in Sacramento CA area. does the price (23,499) include tax and fees? I guess not, just make sure.
  • dulesdules Posts: 37
    Mine was an Outback (2.5i Ltd w/vdc) and included destination, but not tax (5% MA) or doc (approx 200 for registration, plates, etc.).
  • Hi,
    I came across this forum and love the detail information you guys provide. I am from Canada and wish we had price quotes like you fellow Americans, but unfortunately that aint going to happen. What I would like to know is when you guys purchase your cars are the Subaru warranties included into your prices? In addition, I recently asked for a quote from Buffalo,NY and i gotta invoice price of 23,983. I would like to know how much more would I have to pay aside from state tax (wont apply to me) and destination fee (approx $650).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
  • You should be able to do much better. The best Internet price I've gotten here on Long Island was about $23,300 (including $1,000 cash back and destination, but excluding tax) on a car with an MSRP of about $25,800. That's without any negotiating. I'm visiting a dealer tomorrow, will do some negotiating and report back on the results.
  • Also, the regular Subaru warranty is included in the price. An extended warranty is not. I've never bought one, but I understand the price on those can sometimes be negotiated as well.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    I don't think you can do any better on the price... Effective January 3, Subaru of America no longer offers any customer rebates (and no incentives/volume bonuses to dealers or salespeople) on vehicles sold in the US to Canadian customers. I don't see how a dealership could offer you anything below invoice - they'd be losing money.

Other fees you might encounter at the dealer could be a documentation fee (varies by dealer, usually charged to recoup dealer's costs associated with filing sale information with state agencies. I've seen anywhere from $25-$250); and a small fee for a temporary 3-day permit ($24 in my state, not sure about NY).

Other costs will include Canadian GST at the border (6%?) and whatever the current Canadian RIV fee is ($195, I think).

You can find much useful information here: http://www.cars101.com/canada.html. On that website you can also find contact info for the fellow that puts that info together... his dealership in Seattle sells many cars to folks in BC, so he may be able to answer other questions the website doesn't cover.

Also, be aware that warranty rules just changed as well. Yes, the price includes the full factory warranty. However... if you have any warranty work done at a Canadian dealership, you'll have to pay for it upfront and be reimbursed by Subaru of America... Subaru Canada won't cover the costs. If you want to avoid that, you'd have to take it to the States for any repairs under warranty. All that stuff is also spelled out at the link above.

Not quite as sweet of a deal as it was a few months ago, but you should still come out way ahead. Good luck to you!
  • Thanks guys for the reply. I actually did a lot more research after posting my question. But i gotta say jeff u're very knowledgeable!

now i'm stuck on to which colour i should buy. Its a odd thing, I love the satin white exterior but not too impressed with the beige interior that comes with it. take a look: http://www.subaru.com/media/image/2008/legacy/25gtlimited/photos/4216_059_lg.jpg-

the problem to me is not the beige itself, but the mix of beige and black.. black dashboards and steering wheel w/ beige seats? someone please tell me this is a photoshop error?
    I believe the dash, wheel, and top of the interior door panels are done in black to aid outward visibility... least possible amount of glare in your field of vision, so your eyes see the road as much as possible day and night.

I've got the black/beige combo on my Subies. I don't like how easily the beige shows dirt, but I do actually like the black with it. The beige helps keep the interior bright & airy, but if the dash & wheel were beige, it'd be beige overload for me. :) We actually got the black all-weather floor mats to help tie the interior colors all together, and I think it works. They're quite practical in wet/snowy climate, too. You can get black carpeted mats as well (was my salesperson's suggestion), to hide the dirt. When you go to pick up your car, use some black mats from another vehicle on the lot to see what you think of 'em in your car.

Of course, color preferences are all subjective. ;) One downside to smaller car companies like Subaru: limited interior/exterior color combinations.
  • The best I've been able to do is $23K on a limited with mirror/compass and armrest extension. Has anyone done better on price in the NY metro area? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.
    Can't comment on NY-area pricing specifically, but you should be able to knock around $1000+ off of that. At least $500 more off would be OK. At this point, maybe you should consider e-mailing a few out-of-state dealers and either do business with them or see if a local dealer will match their pricing. You can also try printing out Fitzmall's online pricing and taking that to your dealer to match (or at least come close to). If you're actually ready to sign the paperwork, tell 'em what price you want, and that you'll sign on the spot if they match it... hard for a dealer to resist a guaranteed sale. :)
  • just paid 23500, less a trade at full book Reynolds in old lyme Ct at xmas time.
    it included the 1000 rebate.
    1. very nice people
    2. they are 10 minutes from our home
    3. they supply loaners All the time..
    4.the car is dynamite. driving experience close to our last generation 325 BMW.
    this car is a real sleeper.
    Dislike; only that the the vinyl smells different than a european car.
    this seems to be be typical of japanese cars,-all.

we are porsche, audi, and now subaru owners. (just bought a 97 legacy wagon, 2 owner 105k miles. seems very tight after 11 years.
    Congrats & welcome to the Subaru fold. Twice! :)
  • disney2disney2 Posts: 25
    I think I paid 23500 with the 1000 off included. Look back 2 or 3 months for my post. I am in NJ and used Town Motors in Englewood. Good experience. I got the exact car and think it drives similar to the Audi A4 I just turned in.
  • I ended up paying $22,900, including the $1,000 cash back, with armrest and mirror/compass, and got what people tell me is a decent price for my trade. This was the second car I bought from North Coast Subaru in Glen Cove, NY. It took a lot of negotiating, but in the end, I've had positive sales and service experiences there. And after owning premium brands and paying through the nose for service, I found it refreshing to pay only $32 for an oil change (completed within an hour of dropoff) on the first car we bought from them in August.
  • got the same deal as you, however, I did not get the $1000 rebate because i'm from canada. bought it in Buffalo,NY
    Congrats, bigearz1. Did you end up with Satin White?
  • I just drove home a new 2.5i Limited and love it. Here's the car:

Legacy 2.5i Limited
    Automatic Transmission
    VDC Package
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass
    Center Armrest Extension
    Wheel Locks
    Splash Guards
    All Weather Mats
    PZEV Emissions

I'm located in Delaware. Paid $22,100 before tax and fees.

The dealer was great. This buying experience was so much better than my previous car purchase which was painful. I settled on the Legacy after driving the Accord (ok but blah) and the Altima (hated it).
  • Congrats! That's a great price. There was no way a Long Island dealer was going that low for me. Out here, the cost of doing business is probably a good deal higher than in Delaware. Plus, you're near Fitzgerald Automall and some other dealers, which offer rock-bottom prices on these cars even without negotiating. Anyway, I'm sure you'll agree that the Limited is a great value. Good luck with yours.
  • Thanks. Funny you mention Fitz, I had a printout from their website on hand at the dealer. It took awhile but they came around and we had a deal. I went to the dealer thinking it very unlikely that I would buy that day. I was in no hurry. But I fell in love with the car and the price was right.
  • thanks jeff. I ended up with a diamond gray one, I just cant see myself with beige interior...

and wow reading these other trends where people get a 2.5i ltd for 23,100... i'm envious!! but then again, we Canadians have no bargaining power since dealerships know we would pay much more across the border. Congrats to all on their new legacys!
    The diamond gray's classy. I think it's been one of Subaru's most well-received colors. Dark enough to have much of the visual impact black does, but without the worries of showing swirls and every speck of dust. Nice choice. :)
  • hackdhackd Posts: 65
    Just caught wind of the Legacy and am impressed with amount packaged for the price. Can anybody report if prices paid in Feb have come down any for a 2.5i Limited? Any comments regarding recent people who purchased are welcome as well...any buyers remorse?
  • I bought a Diamond Gray 2.5i Limited in January at North Coast Subaru in Glen Cove. The only accessories were the armrest extension and the mirror/compass. If I recall, the MSRP was something like $25,403. I got the car for $22,900 -- including $1,000 cash back -- and was paid $8500 for my trade (about $500 more than people said it was worth on the "Real World Trade-in Values" forum on Edmunds). I got within $100 of that at Hassett in Wantagh (nice salespeople there), but in the end, I wanted a dealership that was much closer to my home. If you live on the North Shore, I highly recommend North Coast. It's not a fancy place, but they know your name when you walk in and they treat you like a Lexus dealer would. They did bargain hard and I was bouncing between the salesman and the owner over the phone for a couple days before we finally came together on a price. Last summer, we bought an Outback from them and have been pleased with that as well.

I wanted a reasonably priced daily driver with all the amenities and great gas mileage. The Limited fits the bill. It's a pretty good driver. Highway mileage has been around 25.8, but in the normal stop and go winter driving here on Long Island, it's been closer to 21. I'm pretty impressed with the paint quality. It's almost as good as the paint job on my Porsche. People complain about the power, but 170hp is plenty for all kinds of LI driving and you can use the sport mode on the automatic if you need a little extra push. At my dealer, the first oil change is free and after that, it's only $32. The service manager greets you with a handshake and a smile instead of the usual grunts I've gotten at the premium dealerships.

Dislikes? The front end is a little floaty in the wind around 65 and I might do some minor suspension mods to try and change that. The exhaust sound is kind of wimpy. The rear seating may be a little tight for some. In the cold, I notice a little buzz in the passenger side of the dash. Some of the upholstery around the rear center armrest could be sewn a little better. I'd prefer a four-year, 50K warranty. Beyond that, it's a great car. I wanted regular gas, good mileage, AWD, leather and other luxuries, a low price and a car I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in. I also wasn't looking for another SUV like I traded. I did a lot of homework and this was the only vehicle that fit the bill. Plus, if you want to go green, you get the PZEV engine here in NY, which is as clean as some hybrids.

I had e-mailed most of the other LI dealers on pricing and they came back with figures in the mid-$23K range without any further negotiating. If price is a real concern, you could always go some distance off the Island to, say, Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Maryland, where you can pick one up and drive it back for about $1,000 under what I paid.

Hope this helps. It's a great value for the money.
  • hackdhackd Posts: 65
    Thanks for the detailed feedback

"I wanted regular gas, good mileage, AWD, leather and other luxuries, a low price and a car I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in"

Pretty much my motto as well....trying decide how important the AWD as I like the Altima SL as well...very tough choice as they both ride very nice. One question...how are your heated seats...my tester was not that hot and did not really feel on my lower back. Kind of important to me as it helps my back on longer drives...Altima was perfect in amount and location of the heat.
  • The heated seats are fine, but they do take a little longer to get warm than most other cars I've had. The heat covers nearly all of the bottom cushion and goes at least halfway up the backrest. If you took a very brief test drive and the car was cold, you may not have gotten the full effect.

If you don't need AWD, there are a lot of good choices (although I'd still put the Legacy high on the list because of value and safety). I wanted it because our public agencies seem to put less and less effort into the proper plowing and sanding of our roads on the North Shore. I guess we're still not paying enough taxes here on LI. ;)
  • I think the heated seat is fine. I feel it before the fan turns on for the heat from the vent. And I quickly need to turn it down and then off because my butt gets too hot otherwise. (I think the button for them feels cheap though.)